Everything Old Is New Again....

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. "Everyone loves the '80s — even those who didn't live through it.
From the bad hair and loud clothing to the politicians and leaders — a new survey shows that three-quarters of Americans believe the country was better off in the '80s than now.

2. So what defined the beloved '80s?
Ronald Reagan, Margaret Thatcher, Princess Diana, Cabbage Patch Kids, Rubik's Cubes, Pac-Man, Super Mario Bros., Reese's Pieces and dance moves like the Robot and Moonwalk.

3. As for the decade's most significant moment, about 37% of those surveyed listed the fall of the Berlin Wall, 24% said the identification of AIDS, and 17% said the Challenger explosion.

4. More than half of the nation thinks that the personal computer has had the biggest impact on American life today with the cellphone coming in at 27%. The microwave, Walkman and VCR all ranked around 5%.

5. Michael Jackson was named by 60% of Americans as the musician from the '80s... Close to half of the nation, 46%, believes that the naming of Sandra Day O'Connor to the Supreme Court was a more important '80s milestone for women than Sally Ride going to space,...

And....

6. When asked if a presidential election were held today, 58% said they would vote for Reagan over Barack Obama."
'Cheers' to the '80s: We'd zap back if we could)

From the bad hair and loud clothing to the politicians and leaders — a new survey shows that three-quarters of Americans believe the country was better off in the '80s than now.

Ronald Reagan, Margaret Thatcher, Princess Diana, Cabbage Patch Kids, Rubik's Cubes, Pac-Man, Super Mario Bros., Reese's Pieces and dance moves like the Robot and Moonwalk.

3. As for the decade's most significant moment, about 37% of those surveyed listed the fall of the Berlin Wall, 24% said the identification of AIDS, and 17% said the Challenger explosion.

4. More than half of the nation thinks that the personal computer has had the biggest impact on American life today with the cellphone coming in at 27%. The microwave, Walkman and VCR all ranked around 5%.

5. Michael Jackson was named by 60% of Americans as the musician from the '80s... Close to half of the nation, 46%, believes that the naming of Sandra Day O'Connor to the Supreme Court was a more important '80s milestone for women than Sally Ride going to space,...

And....

6. When asked if a presidential election were held today, 58% said they would vote for Reagan over Barack Obama."

Most American are probably ignorant to the reality of Reagan. How many people think he freed the hostages?

The past is never as imagined, exactly because that's what the past is; imagination.

The only time is now.

The only changeless thing is change.

There is no going back as there is no back to go to.

I had good times and not so good times in that decade. It doesn't warrant repeating.

And....

Most American are probably ignorant to the reality of Reagan. How many people think he freed the hostages?

Did you know that he defeated the 'Evil Empire,' and won the Cold War without firing a shot?

And, looks like 58% know this, as well:

"Between the early 1980s and 2007 we lived in an economic Golden Age. Never before have so many people advanced so far economically in so short a period of time as they have during the last 25 years. Until the credit crisis, 70 million people a year were joining the middle class. The U.S. kicked off this long boom with the economic reforms of Ronald Reagan, particularly his enormous income tax cuts. We burst from the economic stagnation of the 1970s into a dynamic, innovative, high-tech-oriented economy. Even in recent years the much-maligned U.S. did well. Between year-end 2002 and year-end 2007 U.S. growth exceeded the entire size of China's economy.”
How Capitalism Will Save Us - Forbes.com

And....

Because the right has lied about his record for so many years people dont know the real record

The past is never as imagined, exactly because that's what the past is; imagination.

The only time is now.

I had good times and not so good times in that decade. It doesn't warrant repeating.

Change is inevitable....except from a vending machine.

"The past is never as imagined, exactly because that's what the past is; imagination."

I suppose that is true... for folks who don't study history.

Raise your paw.

And....

Because the right has lied about his record for so many years people dont know the real record

You must have missed post #6.

And....

Did you know that he defeated the 'Evil Empire,' and won the Cold War without firing a shot?

"Between the early 1980s and 2007 we lived in an economic Golden Age. Never before have so many people advanced so far economically in so short a period of time as they have during the last 25 years. Until the credit crisis, 70 million people a year were joining the middle class. The U.S. kicked off this long boom with the economic reforms of Ronald Reagan, particularly his enormous income tax cuts. We burst from the economic stagnation of the 1970s into a dynamic, innovative, high-tech-oriented economy. Even in recent years the much-maligned U.S. did well. Between year-end 2002 and year-end 2007 U.S. growth exceeded the entire size of China's economy.”

Golden age for who? The 1% transnational corporation did fine. Families saw the destruction of their one income lifestyles turned into dad,mom and the kids working to support their families and living off their credit cards.

Forbes?

jesus your brain washed

Oh....gee....you don't read Forbes?

How about this?
You've heard of the US government, haven't you?

“As inflation came down and as more and more of the tax cuts from the 1981 Act went into effect, the economic began a strong and sustained pattern of growth.” US Department of the Treasury

1. The benefits from Reaganomics:

a. The economy grew at a 3.4% average rate…compared with 2.9% for the previous eight years, and 2.7% for the next eight.(Table B-4)
b. Inflation rate dropped from 12.5% to 4.4%. (Table B-63)
c. Unemployment fell to 5.5% from 7.1% (Table B-35)
d. Prime interest rate fell by one-third.(Table B-73)
e. The S & P 500 jumped 124% (Table B-95) FDsys - Browse ERP

f. Charitable contributions rose 57% faster than inflation. Dinesh D’Souza, “Ronald Reagan: How an Ordinary May Became an Extraordinary Leader,” p. 116

Golden age for who? The 1% transnational corporation did fine. Families saw the destruction of their one income lifestyles turned into dad,mom and the kids working to support their families and living off their credit cards.

Let me guess: you received your 'education' in government schools....
..am I right?

Check out post #13.

The Excessive Eighties: a time where you go-go when you want to walk like an Egyptian, hear doves cry or feel the Punky power while you moonwalk the Thriller.

Anyway, Nostalgia Filter aside, there were some bad things from the 80s.

Crack and Heroin made their big debut in this time. They'd existed prior, but really took off then.

The rise of computer technology was a mixed bag. Many older people around here think that computers are everything that's wrong with society, so take that how you will.

Let's not forget the assassination attempt on Reagan. All because someone really loved Jodie Foster.

AIDS, whose etiology and pathology was unknown at the time. People were basically dropping dead, and no one knew why. No one even knew how it spread. At first the public lashed back at the groups hardest hit — gay men and intravenous drug users — as causing or deserving the disease. That eventually began to fade as the disease forced many people out of the closet like Rock Hudson and suddenly the public finally had to face the fact that gay people were everywhere and were hiding because of the social bullying they were suffering from the public.

The "Satanic Panic" took off and reached its peak in this decade. Spurred on by alleged "true stories" like Michelle Remembers and The Satan Seller (both of which are now widely believed to be fraudulent accounts), there was widespread fear among communities, churches, and even law enforcement and social services that there existed an underground network of devil-worshippers who kidnapped, abused, and sacrificed children and other "innocents" in order to gain power from the Dark Lord. Your next-door neighbors could be conducting virgin sacrifices in their basement and you wouldn't know about it — until they came for you and your loved ones! Some of the wackier theories even alleged that the Satanists had infiltrated the government, business and the military, and were using their resources to not only cover up their evil, but facilitate it. Hundreds of people saw their lives destroyed by allegations that they were Satanists, with one of the most notable (and sensationalized) incidents being the McMartin preschool case.

Just a few things. But there were awesome things about the 80s. Like the economy. Love him or hate him, Reagan was a good president, brief as it was. Also, entertainment was at its peak during that time for many people (FUCK. YEAH. TRANSFORMERS.)

And....

It's amazing that things are so bad now that we could look back on the 80s with this kind of nostalgia. We forget the rampage of AIDS, the devastating Blood/Crip wars and the invasion of crack cocaine. As bad as it was then, it is so much worse now, that the 80s developed a kind of sweetness.

The only time is now.

"The past is never as imagined, exactly because that's what the past is; imagination."

Raise your paw.

Ahh, 'Chic, from your post I would almost imply that you believe 'history' is 'truth'. That confuses me, because I know you're much too intelligent to think such a thing.

More people entered the middle class than in any era before or since.
Also, one more thing: The 80s had the highest murder rate in history. :D

The only time is now.

Raise your paw.

Ahh, 'Chic, from your post I would almost imply that you believe 'history' is 'truth'. That confuses me, because I know you're much too intelligent to think such a thing.

What was I thinking???

Nah...you're right....from now on, I'll get my history lessons the same place you do: bazooka comics, and the DNC.

Raise your paw.

What was I thinking???

Nah...you're right....from now on, I'll get my history lessons the same place you do: bazooka comics, and the DNC.

Now, you know perfectly well my opinion of the two political parties that divide and conquer America, so the DNC is not a source of much for me. And I never liked comics even as a kid (I was more into Nietzsche and Camus).
But all my studies of 'history' show that one needs to examine many accounts and then try to discern what the combination of facts might be, if any. Even the Encyclopedia Britannica has errors.
What sources do you choose to believe (other than the ones that support a limited view of the world and the universe)?

Forum List

Back