EV's will save the planet (according to alarmists)

REally?

so you never put 15K miles on a car?

ANd it's not just refueling

MAybe you should read the article I posted a link to
Yes, I read your link. Let me explain. I work in construction, I need a very large van and a car. The cost difference between the two means I would need to earn an extra £34,000. Do you think I can earn that £34,000 by producing no carbon. So what does the construction sector produce in carbon? Did the article include the extra £34,000 carbon?

Yes, I read your link. Let me explain. I work in construction, I need a very large van and a car. The cost difference between the two means I would need to earn an extra £34,000. Do you think I can earn that £34,000 by producing no carbon. So what does the construction sector produce in carbon? Did the article include the extra £34,000 carbon?
And if you want you can find posts where I said Electric pickups are not worth it because they can't tow heavy loads without a serious decrease in range.

Which is why I said EVs have a place in the mix but you were personally offended by that for some reason

It's not one bit of data.

If you actually read the article you would know that
We can go over the specifics in you article if you wish. I have said I've read your article so you can stop repeating yourself. Read your article again, it's taken me 20 years to get my car to 167,000 miles. How's dies that compare to the mileage in the article.

And if you want you can find posts where I said Electric pickups are not worth it because they can't tow heavy loads without a serious decrease in range.

Which is why I said EVs have a place in the mix but you were personally offended by that for some reason
They do have a place in the mix, which I've also said on this forum. Not sure why you keep thinking I'm offended. Can I suggest a psychology course for you?

If you have a good income, a drive/garage to charge your EV and a job that requires a briefcase, then an EV is right up your alley. In the real world, that's alienated an awful lot of people, and I mean an awful lot.

It's reckoned, 34% of current ICE drivers could never get to own an EV.

They do have a place in the mix, which I've also said on this forum. Not sure why you keep thinking I'm offended. Can I suggest a psychology course for you?

If you have a good income, a drive/garage to charge your EV and a job that requires a briefcase, then an EV is right up your alley. In the real world, that's alienated an awful lot of people, and I mean an awful lot.

It's reckoned, 34% of current ICE drivers could never get to own an EV.
When you star throwing around terms like "moral high ground" to a simple presentation of data you are personally offended.

I think that you are wrong on the rural areas, and also the time for the changeover. Not only are solar panels coming down in price, plus there are now used ones that still have many years of life in them for about 1/4 the cost of new panels on the market, but the home batteries are also rapidly coming down in price, and now there are a lot of different ones on the market. As the batteries increase in energy storage, the range will increase until they exceed ICE vehicles in range. I expect that to happen by 2025. So a person in a rural area with a little land can not only own an EV that fits all their needs, but fuel it with the same solar setup that powers his home. There are a number of batteries in the labs right now that exceed the present batteries in use. At least some of them will be on the market in a year or two.
I largely agree, but with rural customers, I think the "range anxiety" factor will be harder to overcome, regardless of charge times. Then there is the hauling capacity factor, and the best selling vehicle in America is the Ford F-150, and the Rivian R1T is not about to replace that, although perhaps the Ford Lightning will someday. Either way, change will likely come slower in rural areas, just because of an inherent resistance to change.

Coal mining....

coal.jpg

Lithium mining....

lithium.jpg

I largely agree, but with rural customers, I think the "range anxiety" factor will be harder to overcome, regardless of charge times. Then there is the hauling capacity factor, and the best selling vehicle in America is the Ford F-150, and the Rivian R1T is not about to replace that, although perhaps the Ford Lightning will someday. Either way, change will likely come slower in rural areas, just because of an inherent resistance to change.
Solar panels are that brilliant, Old Rocks 's house is covered in them to charge his fleet of non existent EV's.

Lithium is one small element of an EV battery, so you have many mines like the Lithium mine picture to each coal mine.

download (10).jpeg

Here's a worker in a Cobalt mine, the DRC use children to mine Cobalt. There are some 35,000 kids involved.

It's transferred elsewhere in the environment, usually killing fish, poisoning the watercourses due to extracting the many raw materials. Also to extract cobalt in the Republic of the Congo, they use child labour. I'm sure you will boycott EV's on a moral basis to fight child labour.

Well, a lot of people only care about themselves and their own lives.

I don't need to boycott electric vehicles, I don't drive, I've never owned a car....

I have a very large van with a 460 cu. in. engine. Also an overdrive. On the highway with the van empty, I get a little over 16 mpg. Towing a trailer, considerably less, which means that I have less range. Same is true for EV's. However, as the energy density increases in batteries, the towing range of the EV's will soon exceed that of ICE pickups unless you have 100 gallon tanks.

Lithium is one small element of an EV battery, so you have many mines like the Lithium mine picture to each coal mine.

View attachment 579382

Here's a worker in a Cobalt mine, the DRC use children to mine Cobalt. There are some 35,000 kids involved.

Another lying hypocrite. Cobalt was being mined and used long before EV's and you never objected once to the use of child labor. Not only that, but the many of the new batteries avoid using cobalt because it is a very expensive metal.

I have a very large van with a 460 cu. in. engine. Also an overdrive. On the highway with the van empty, I get a little over 16 mpg. Towing a trailer, considerably less, which means that I have less range. Same is true for EV's. However, as the energy density increases in batteries, the towing range of the EV's will soon exceed that of ICE pickups unless you have 100 gallon tanks.
But you can fill that gas tank in 5 minutes and keep driving.

You don;t have to stop for a couple hours every 100 miles

Well "Mr. I love EV's and don't own one and burn diesel at 18mpg", I just can't find an electric van in the UK that can tow. You on the funny juice again, but it is Xmas. Merry Christmas.

Another lying hypocrite. Cobalt was being mined and used long before EV's and you never objected once to the use of child labor. Not only that, but the many of the new batteries avoid using cobalt because it is a very expensive metal.
Sorry cupcake, cobalt is used in EV batteries, they're working on eliminating cobalt, but it's pretty much there. That was even in CNBC news.

I've always objected to child labour, hence why I brought it up and hence why you pro-EVers don't give a toss.

It's a start.
EV will improve over time

someday they might even be better than the internal combustion auto

my objection is that liberal pinheads in washington and states like california are dictating to the public what we will drive based on their unfounded fear of climate doomsday

Graphite will be replacing cobalt in many future batteries.

Forum List

Back