Expand Background Checks HOW ?

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
Over the past 13 years, I have bought 2 guns. A pistol 13 years ago, and a shotgun 2 years ago. Both times, I had to wait 3 business days before I could receive my gun. Both times a NATIONAL FBI check (NICS) was done to see if I had any criminal record recorded, anywhere in the USA. I don't and I received my guns after the 3 day waiting period.

That is the minimum of what that check was. There might have been more to it, and I still don't know the full extent. I wonder if the people who are calling for expansion of background checks could tell me exactly what is being checked currently on gun buyers. I also wonder what additional checks these people are interested in doing. Checks about WHAT ? And HOW ? Can they be SPECIFIC on what they are wanting to do ? If so, let's hear it.

Since launching in 1998, more than 300 million NICS checks have been done, leading to more than 1.5 million denials. So what does anyone think should be added ?
1655125414193.png

Last edited:
Over the past 13 years, I have bought 2 guns. A pistol 13 years ago, and a shotgun 2 years ago. Both times, I had to wait 3 business days before I could receive my gun. Both times a NATIONAL FBI check (NICS) was done to see if I had any criminal record recorded, anywhere in the USA. I don't and I received my guns after the 3 day waiting period.

That is the minimum of what that check was. There might have been more to it, and I still don't know the full extent. I wonder if the people who are calling for expansion of background checks could tell me exactly what is being checked currently on gun buyers. I also wonder what additional checks these people are interested in doing. Checks about WHAT ? And HOW ? Can they be SPECIFIC on what they are wanting to do ? If so, let's hear it.

Since launching in 1998, more than 300 million NICS checks have been done, leading to more than 1.5 million denials. So what does anyone think should be added ?

Specifics are something you're not likely to see from them.

My experience is that most people who stand against the 2nd Amendment don't have any real understanding about guns, gun ownership, laws we've enacted to protect us from gun violence, or anything of the sort. They just want to bleat on and on about how we need new laws that no criminal will bother to adhere to...

. I also wonder what additional checks these people are interested in doing. Checks about WHAT ? And HOW ? Can they be SPECIFIC on what they are wanting to do ? If so, let's hear it.

You meet a guy in the bar and start talking about guns. The guy says he would pay big money for an AR 15
You tell him you have one that you would sell him
He follows you home and you sell him the gun for cash…..no questions asked

The guy turns out to be a convicted felon

You meet a guy in the bar and start talking about guns. The guy says he would pay big money for an AR 15
You tell him you have one that you would sell him
He follows you home and you sell him the gun for cash…..no questions asked

The guy turns out to be a convicted felon
The OP asked a specific question, Do you have a specific answer ?

Specifics are something you're not likely to see from them.

My experience is that most people who stand against the 2nd Amendment don't have any real understanding about guns, gun ownership, laws we've enacted to protect us from gun violence, or anything of the sort. They just want to bleat on and on about how we need new laws that no criminal will bother to adhere to...
So far they are 0 for 1. (post # 3). But time will tell, Should be interesting to see if they come up with anything.

The OP asked a specific question, Do you have a specific answer ?

You were answered
Background checks today do not apply to private sales

A major hole in obtaining guns illegally
That is HOW they need to be expanded

You meet a guy in the bar wanting to buy your gun……you have to run a background check first

You were answered

You meet a guy in the bar wanting to buy your gun……you have to run a background check first
You can't do that because regular people don't have access to NICS to do a background check. Also, who in your scenario is going to enforce that law? The police? Feds? They could if there was a national gun registry. Something's that's already against the law, and it's not very likely getting that changing the law is going to stand up in the Supreme Court. So, how are you to resolve your hypothetical situation?

You can't do that because regular people don't have access to NICS to do a background check. Also, who in your scenario is going to enforce that law? The police? Feds? They could if there was a national gun registry. Something's that's already against the law, and it's not very likely getting that changing the law is going to stand up in the Supreme Court. So, how are you to resolve your hypothetical situation?
Easy enough to do
You are selling a gun, you go down to the local police station and fill out paperwork on the gun being sold and who you are selling it to

If it checks out, the sale is approved

Easy enough to do
You are selling a gun, you go down to the local police station and fill out paperwork on the gun being sold and who you are selling it to

Well, that can be done. That's a state issue and not a federal issue. Then again, the question comes back around, who's going to enforce this? The NICS is arguably stretched thin already. Going to demand more funding for hiring people to handle the increased workload? Only around 12 states have some kind of universal background check. Probably all of them likely blue states.

Well, that can be done. That's a state issue and not a federal issue. Then again, the question comes back around, who's going to enforce this? The NICS is arguably stretched thin already. Going to demand more funding for hiring people to handle the increased workload? Only around 12 states have some kind of universal background check. Probably all of them likely blue states.

Ignoring the private market guts any attempt at a background check
The process needs to be nationwide or else you get what we have today with buyers just crossing state lines

Easy enough to do

That's already being done by the gun store and the NICS.

You were answered

And your SPECIFIC solution ?

Of course some unscrupulous sellers only interested in the money they're going to get, may not use the NICS, but many others will, so your idea would be helpful.
There will never be any law that will stop that.

So what we really have to do is actually enforce our gun laws.

The federal government must work with the states to convict people who violate federal gun laws and sentence them to time in federal prisons.

When the city of Richmond VA did this in the late 90's they saw huge decrease not only in gun crimes but in crimes overall.

No law will work if it is not enforced

Forum List

Back