Explain to us Libs, what is a living wage?

Bern go to Florida, buy a widget that costs 10.00, on you recipt you will see a state sales tax added
now if companies do that where sales tax instead of income tax is used to collect, whats the diff?

by the way state tax is 6% in Florida, so that item would be 10.60

I don't how to break it down for you any differently. Here's the score JRK.

We both agree welfare roles are too high.

I have solution to that and you have a solution to that. You figure the solution is simple, just make businesses pay people more. The myriad problems with this solution, from the logistical implications that would actually prevent from happening what you think would to the morally wrong aspects of it have been explained to you ad nauseum.

Your solution is why I keep asking the question you don't want to answer. Why should you not have to be responsible for providing for your own basic needs? I keep asking that question because that's the starting point. Depending on your answer one has to explore one set of solutions or another.

Bern I keep answering it and you keep ignoring it. You want a corporation to give that wealth to the federal govt
I want them to give it to there employees. The cost is the same if wecut the corporate tax rate in exchange for the minimum wage to go up

A living wage?

Here's a proposal for what that is based on the current tax structure

A truly LIVING WAGE is when one makes enough to have to pay FEDERAL income taxes.

So if we use that yardstick that means that 49% of all Americans do NOT make a LIVING WAGE.

A living wage?

A truly LIVING WAGE is when one makes enough to have to pay FEDERAL income taxes.

So if we use that yardstick that means that 49% of all Americans do NOT make a LIVING WAGE.

Explain how a family of 5 qualifies for welfare making 52k a year.

I havent seen anyone drop dead.

A living wage?

1 $10,890 $13,600 $12,540
2 14,710 18,380 16,930
3 18,530 23,160 21,320
4 22,350 27,940 25,710
5 26,170 32,720 30,100
6 29,990 37,500 34,490
7 33,810 42,280 38,880
8 37,630 47,060 43,270
this is 2011 poverty levels, by no means is this the rate that is used to qualify for govt programs
use this link for those numbers
2011 HHS Poverty Guidelines

A living wage?

2 14,710 18,380 16,930
3 18,530 23,160 21,320
4 22,350 27,940 25,710
5 26,170 32,720 30,100
6 29,990 37,500 34,490
7 33,810 42,280 38,880
8 37,630 47,060 43,270
this is 2011 poverty levels, by no means is this the rate that is used to qualify for govt programs

No need. My figure is accurate I get flyers all the time. Since I am caring for three grandchildren through the State and Tribe.

2 14,710 18,380 16,930
3 18,530 23,160 21,320
4 22,350 27,940 25,710
5 26,170 32,720 30,100
6 29,990 37,500 34,490
7 33,810 42,280 38,880
8 37,630 47,060 43,270

No need. My figure is accurate I get flyers all the time. Since I am caring for three grandchildren through the State and Tribe.

Brother I feel your pain. It is part as to why I have such an issue with the Min wage

The USA is the only modern country in the world where full time workers live in poverty and have no health care (750k bankruptcies a year, most HAVE insurance - crap insurance!)After 30 years of Voodoo: worst min. wage, work conditions, illegal work safeguards, vacations, work week, college costs, rich/poor gap, upward social mobility, % homeless and in prison. And you complain about the victims? Are you an idiot or an A-hole?

Pubs have blocked EVERYTHING since 2/4/2010- don't be duped...again. Stimulus worked-ran out in 2010.

I'm sorry- dupes are great people- but I can't take their lazy, ignorant, careless, stupid politics a minute longer. Sorry.

Why do people pull out platitudes like the above. You say stupid cliche things like America is so rich but people are still in poverty. It's like you expect income to be something that is just supposed to be there or happen for people and not something that has to be earned and worked for.

Bern no-one has said anything about giving any-one a dime, but you keep making that claim thats what being said
IT IS ABOUT EARNING IT. there is some loggers and framers I know that make 9-11.00 an hour I wish you could meet and you tell them they are not worked for what they have
This country is huge, there are millions of people who do not make muck more than 320-350 a week who work there butts off every day

To which I would say you need to stop thinking that way. Compensation has never been about how pyhsically or mentally taxing a task is. It's about the work's value to someone else. Since most any guy can be trained to use a chainsaw, logging is generally not a high pay profession. People who are good with math, are detail oriented, take the time to go to school and become licenced accountants on the other hand are relatively much more rare and therefore get paid more despite not working as 'hard' as the logger.

And again with the confusing statements. It can't be about earning it if you're demanding up to a 50% pay increase for some people without having to do anything extra to 'earn' it.

Last edited:
2 14,710 18,380 16,930
3 18,530 23,160 21,320
4 22,350 27,940 25,710
5 26,170 32,720 30,100
6 29,990 37,500 34,490
7 33,810 42,280 38,880
8 37,630 47,060 43,270

Brother I feel your pain. It is part as to why I have such an issue with the Min wage

I have no issues with helping those truly needy. But the figure I posted is an example of stupidity.

Why do people pull out platitudes like the above. You say stupid cliche things like America is so rich but people are still in poverty. It's like you expect income to be something that is just supposed to be there or happen for people and not something that has to be earned and worked for.

Bern no-one has said anything about giving any-one a dime, but you keep making that claim thats what being said
IT IS ABOUT EARNING IT. there is some loggers and framers I know that make 9-11.00 an hour I wish you could meet and you tell them they are not worked for what they have
This country is huge, there are millions of people who do not make muck more than 320-350 a week who work there butts off every day

To which I would say you need to stop thinking that way. Compensation has never been about how pyhsically or mentally taxing a task is. It's about the work's value to someone else. Since most any guy can be trained to use a chainsaw, logging is generally not a high pay profession. People who are good with math, are detail oriented, take the time to go to school and become licenced accountants on the other hand are relatively much more rare and therefore get paid more despite not working as 'hard' as the logger.

And again with the confusing statements. It can't be about earning it if you're demanding up to a 50% pay increase for some people without having to do anything extra to 'earn' it.

Bern some-one has to take the trash out
some-one has to log
drive a dump truck

Its a local issue any way such as east Texas, NW Florida, La. North Ga

A living wage?

You are seriously misinformed, Full Auto.

Here are the requirements for Food Stamps which is the entry point for all federal aid.

If you have the following net monthly income, then you can qualify for Food Stamps
  • 1 person – $903 or less
  • 2 people – $1,215 or less
  • 3 people – $1,526 or less
  • 4 people – $1,838 or less
  • 5 people – $2,150 or less (x 12 = $25,800 NOT $52,000!!!)
  • 6 people – $2,461 or less
  • 7 people – $2,773 or less
  • 8 people – $3,085 or less
For more than 8 people, add $312 for each added person.

CAn you raise a family of FIVE on less than $25,800 a year?

I don't think so.

Then we have no resp as tax payers to allow them to our interstates. we paid for them
Then the next time the WTC gets attacke, we will just allow the OBLs and Saddams to come and get all of there wealth

WHAT PART OF THEY PAY 0 IN TAXES DONT YOU GET?
IF THERE NOT PART OF THE SOLUTION, THERE PART OF THE PROBLEM AND WHEN IT COMES TO A LIVING WAGE THEY ARE THE PROBLEM
NOT THE TAX PAYER

I completely get it. If you go back a few posts it's one of the one things I actually agreed with you on. But if as you say, businesses always pass their taxes on to consumers, essentially having consumers pay their taxes, how are you EVER going to get them to pay taxes. If every extra cost levied against a business is always going to get passed on to the consumer, how are you ever going to get them to pay taxes? It's the wrong way to look at it. One could just as easily say really it's a really your employer paying all of YOUR taxes since that's where your income ultimately comes from. The even more confusing thing about what you're arguing is the other thing we both happen to agree on; that the corporate tax rate is too high. You are simply awash in contradictions. Calling someone 100% pro corporation, anti-worker and liberal all in the span of couple sentences? Complaining that workers are paying all of a corporations taxes yet arguing for lower corporate tax rates? Pardon us if we're all a hair confused.

Bern the reason the corporate tax rate is to hi is because of the run away wellfare, medicare, medicade cost we have
if the consumer pays that in wages, that wealth is being created and will be put back in the private sector
If that wealth is put in the govt's hands it gets so di luted with all the red tape

I get that you think that, but simply instituting a lower corporate tax rate is not going to cause people's wages to go up. It isn't going to change the market value of labor.

Bern go to Florida, buy a widget that costs 10.00, on you recipt you will see a state sales tax added
now if companies do that where sales tax instead of income tax is used to collect, whats the diff?

by the way state tax is 6% in Florida, so that item would be 10.60

I have solution to that and you have a solution to that. You figure the solution is simple, just make businesses pay people more. The myriad problems with this solution, from the logistical implications that would actually prevent from happening what you think would to the morally wrong aspects of it have been explained to you ad nauseum.

Your solution is why I keep asking the question you don't want to answer. Why should you not have to be responsible for providing for your own basic needs? I keep asking that question because that's the starting point. Depending on your answer one has to explore one set of solutions or another.

Bern I keep answering it and you keep ignoring it. You want a corporation to give that wealth to the federal govt
I want them to give it to there employees. The cost is the same if wecut the corporate tax rate in exchange for the minimum wage to go up

No JRK, that isn't an answer to my question. The above is ignoring the question and skipping right to a solution on how to get people more money. And believe me I am NOT for giving the fedeal government anymore money than they absolutely need. I get the trade off you want to make here. Really I do. But your solution is only viable if your answer to my question above is no, you don't think people should be responsible for providing for their own needs. Something you manged to leave out of your response here.

Last edited:

some-one has to log
drive a dump truck

You don't think we log in northern Minnesota? Yes someone has to do those things. What's your point?

I completely get it. If you go back a few posts it's one of the one things I actually agreed with you on. But if as you say, businesses always pass their taxes on to consumers, essentially having consumers pay their taxes, how are you EVER going to get them to pay taxes. If every extra cost levied against a business is always going to get passed on to the consumer, how are you ever going to get them to pay taxes? It's the wrong way to look at it. One could just as easily say really it's a really your employer paying all of YOUR taxes since that's where your income ultimately comes from. The even more confusing thing about what you're arguing is the other thing we both happen to agree on; that the corporate tax rate is too high. You are simply awash in contradictions. Calling someone 100% pro corporation, anti-worker and liberal all in the span of couple sentences? Complaining that workers are paying all of a corporations taxes yet arguing for lower corporate tax rates? Pardon us if we're all a hair confused.

Bern the reason the corporate tax rate is to hi is because of the run away wellfare, medicare, medicade cost we have
if the consumer pays that in wages, that wealth is being created and will be put back in the private sector
If that wealth is put in the govt's hands it gets so di luted with all the red tape

I get that you think that, but simply instituting a lower corporate tax rate is not going to cause people's wages to go up. It isn't going to change the market value of labor.

what I have stated before is by cutting the corporate rate by 40%, that would allow the minimum wage to be @ 12.00 an hour fr 20 million people based on 2007 numbers. I use that year because it was the cosest we had to a balanced budget sense the GOP budget of 2001

some-one has to log
drive a dump truck

It doesn't matter, however, where the job is. Labor is going to be worth so much and no more to the employer whether it is for the janitor or the logger or the dump truck driver.

The janitor might make more working for a company than he would working for a janitorial service mostly because he probably has a better skill set and will serve as a handy man, fix it man, etc. and is therefore worth more to the employer. If the janitor demands substantially more money than the employer has to pay to hire a janitorial service or somebody to come in and fix things, however, the employer will hire the service and won't hire the janitor.

For production employees such as loggers and dump truck drivers, if the company cannot hire people at a rate that allows him to compete with other companies, he will close down the company and won't be hiring anybody at all.

Labor is a commodity that is no different from any other costs of doing business and, if the free market is left alone to work, there will almost always be more paying jobs at a living wage than will exist otherwise. But everybody needs to expect to start at the bottomof whatever field they are in, whether that be janitor or accountant, and work their way up to higher wages by making themselves more valuable to their employer.

If the corporation keeps more of its money when taxes are lowered, it is in a much better position to increase salaries to hire and keep better people and make itself more competitive, or it may expand and just hire more people. But that is for the business to decide and not for the government to dictate.

what I have stated before is by cutting the corporate rate by 40%, that would allow the minimum wage to be @ 12.00 an hour fr 20 million people based on 2007 numbers. I use that year because it was the cosest we had to a balanced budget sense the GOP budget of 2001

Not quite. What it would do is give corporations more money. That much is true. That said corporations will use that extra money to pay employees more is not true (not without a government mandate anyway). It isn't true because corporate tax rates have very little bearing on the value of a laborer's skills.

The value of labor is not really all that subjective either. Some jobs-doctors, lawyers, professional engineers, CPAs, and other normally high paying work--requires a far more varied and proficient skill set than does a janitor or logger along with a specalized degree and certification by a panel of one's peers. That merits a whole lot more money than does the kid who just sweeps up and takes out the trash.

And the fact is, with or without a degree, some folks are such smarter, more motivated, more skilled, more dedicated and their labor is worth more to an employer than is the labor of other people. How much would you pay this young woman, a student at a Georgia university, to do anything?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW56Z-0xwIQ]Haftin' To Be Uproared - Occupy Atlanta - YouTube[/ame]

No JRK, that isn't an answer to my question. The above is ignoring the question and skipping right to a solution on how to get people more money. And believe me I am NOT for giving the fedeal government anymore money than they absolutely need. I get the trade off you want to make here. Really I do. But your solution is only viable if your answer to my question above is no, you don't think people should be responsible for providing for their own needs. Something you manged to leave out of your response here.

YES IT IS the answer. Just because you do not like does not make it so Bern

YES IT IS the answer. Just because you do not like does not make it so Bern

No JRK it isn't. Because the reality is it's a simple yes or no question. Should you be responsible for providing for your basic needs? YES OR NO? Either point out where you said one of those two words or answer the question. It isn't a matter of getting an answer I don't like. I am an objective enough person to know the difference between an answer I don't like an no answer at all.

Last edited:
The value of labor is not really all that subjective either. Some jobs-doctors, lawyers, professional engineers, CPAs, and other normally high paying work--requires a far more varied and proficient skill set than does a janitor or logger along with a specalized degree and certification by a panel of one's peers. That merits a whole lot more money than does the kid who just sweeps up and takes out the trash.

And the fact is, with or without a degree, some folks are such smarter, more motivated, more skilled, more dedicated and their labor is worth more to an employer than is the labor of other people. How much would you pay this young woman, a student at a Georgia university, to do anything?

Haftin' To Be Uproared - Occupy Atlanta - YouTube

You keep going back to the term give away. This is not about a give away
No-one here is talking about a give away
Look your talking about everything but the subject

We either give to the govt, or we allow the millions who who get up and work hard every-day a chance to earn it. Thats my opinion
The one thing going for you and Bern both, it is not going to change

We have got cut the amount we are taxed and spend on entitlement programs. Ryans bill would take medicare and go private with it. Is my idea really that different?

Forum List

Back