Explain to us Libs, what is a living wage?

There are always regions where very high paying jobs are available. Pennsylvania, particularly the Bradford County area is experiencing a boom in fossil fuel based employment. Not just oil derrick workers or natural gas workers. There are openings for truck drivers and guess what? Those trucks and other machinery associated with the operations need technicians to fix them when they break down. There are tons of jobs available. At much higher than market rates as well.

In selective areas
Look I stated 1000 threads ago this is a regional issue that adds to the countries problems

LOWER TAXES
LESS ENTITLEMENT
GDP ADDITION

TONS OF JOBS?
Move to Florida

1 job for every 4 looking
this is from 11 months ago where it was 1 in 5, the Liberal media would rather talk about all the BS going on with Cain
For four out of five unemployed workers: no jobs | Economic Policy Institute

You guys are doing fine, good for you. With your attitudes towards those who work as hard as you do for 17,000 a year, pray it stays that way for you

Take on a little history from the late 20's and early 30's. This time if the taxpayers hadn't bailed their asses out the ones at the very top of the nation's banks would have been jumping out windows on the 20th floor. These spoiled assholes will finally get theirs...it's not whether, it's when. Unemployment during the depression years reached nearly 50% in the southern states. Men were working for $0.75 a day and their mid day meal. I've seen grown men cry because they couldn't put enough food on the table to feed their families.

There were no unions, no benefits and if a foreman didn't like a man's looks he simply told him, "Go Draw Your Pay." There were ten men lined up waiting for the vacancy. The worst thing that could happen to a man was an on the job injury. About the second day he missed he was history. There he was injured with nothing to fall back on. If his other family members or a church didn't help him he and his family became beggers.

Most of these people don't know what a "Poor House" is. Before social security the aged and infirm who were poverty stricken ended up on a county poor farm with a couple of acres where those who could still work raised enough to feed everyone through the winters. There are unmarked graves all over this country where members of those places were buried. That's what the Republican party would like to see again...that and an ordinary worker earning the same as a worker in Maylasia.
Oh shut the fuck up.....Really....We're very sick and tired of the whining about the past.
This is typical of you lefties. You look upon people has helpless. Based on that you need government in your home, your car, your bed. You need protection.
Fact is your worm, we are a much more educated and sophisticated society. We are NOT victims anymore. You may be.
You whiny libs are faithless in your fellow man. You are sad examples of humanity.

A living wage?

Pretty simple to see what that is, really.

A living wage is that wage which is high enough that you DO PAY FEDERAL TAXES on it.

So what does that mean?

That means that 47% of all American workers do NOT make a living wage.
And you got this statistic from where?

If one does just a little research one can find that there are jobs out there right now that do pay a living wage. JRK, the solution to your problem is fairly simple. I know it will sound cliche and righteous to you but the simple truth is people need to hold themselves to a higher standard. It's a solution who's genius is found in its simpicity. It doesn't require government. Doesn't require any tinkering of the tax code. It doesn't place illegitimate moral obligation on businesses. All it takes is will power and action on the part of idividuals who who want better for themselves. If enough people did that you would see the result you're looking for. A person simply has to decide what they're willing to sacrafice, but the ability to make a living wage is indeed there for the taking right now. As I mentioned, geographically there are areas of the country with very low unemployment rates and still hiring like ND. I just got a tip that a mining company and a steel mill are opening in northern Minnesota where I'm originally from. And if you do a little online research, you can find various fields of employment that are in high demand....
The 10 college majors with the lowest unemployment rates | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

Bern some-one has to frame the house
take the garbage out
plant the pine
ND is hiring because they have oil shale on private land. If BHO would allow the same on some public land many more would be hired, with the pipelines he (EPA) has held up we are talking millions
BTW the company I worked for the last 5 years just laid off 1500 people and sent 3-500 to Canada to work the tar sands, what does this mean?
We have a job in ND. Did me and those people no good
And as those in Canada, your going to live in a man camp while your faimly will not
SO what?..One does what they must do to provide for their family or themselves. Where's the problem?
Oh, the layoffs and the relocation of workers.....Your company is run by smart people. They cut labor where it's not needed and hire labor where it is needed.
Again, where's the problem?
Do you really expect the owner of a convenience store in a struggling town to pay his clerks $50k per year based on some moral obligation YOU believe is pressed upon the store owner?

Explain to me where you found I had an issue with those choices I was a part of making? Liberals as well as people who have no clue as to what this issue is really about make these things up as they go. That is exactly what you just did

It was wrote above that there are jobs in ND and not in exact wording, but left no doubt that all one would have to do is show up in ND for a job

My point is simple. 80-90% of those jobs are spoken for X 5. the only jobs left are for those bottom wage earners at entry level. probably 20 for every 300. I know I have man loaded these projects

I have worked on the road building America for 25 years. I have been to the top of the corporate ladder twice. What exactly is in your back ground that gives you the right to judge people, jobs and all the glory you have made living in a 35' tralier with another man you probably have never met while your faimly is 100s of miles away?

Most faimlies cannot survuve it, so whats your point here? and trust me the living wage issue does not exist here, so what does it have to do with the thread?

ND is without a doubt helping my sector to keep 1 in 5 working, its NO place for a person to just show up and get a job. That is the reality

A living wage?

A living wage is that wage which is high enough that you DO PAY FEDERAL TAXES on it.

So what does that mean?

By complex math which I will now attempt to walk you though.

The claim is that 53% of all workers pay FEDERAL income taxes.

100% - 53% = 47%.

I know this might be terribly difficult for you so I'll repeat it slowly

1 0 0 % - (m i n u s) 5 3 % = (e q u a l s) 4 7%.

Got it?

A living wage?

So what does that mean?

I feel strongly those who have been strongly against my idea are lib plants for this reason. 15,000 a year = a dependant, 28,000 a year with dollar for dollar tac cuts = an asset. Free market solutions for a free market issue that is a creation of the federal govt setting that base line poverty level pay

A LLC with 40 emloyees having 25% below the poverty level only cares of there bottom line. Govt sets that bottom line thru pay mandates and many diifferent tax burdens

That's because you are too stupid to know a conservative opinion if it walked up and bit you on the ass. You propose a government mandated living wage and have the nerve to call conservatives who differ with you liberals. If you can't understand how moronic that is, there is little hope for you.

A living wage?

So what does that mean?

100% - 53% = 47%.

Got it?

Let us break it down for you Einstein. 47% of Americans pay no federal income tax......but they seem to still have a roof over their head and food in their belly. There ISN'T a correlation between not paying taxes and making a living wage. Lesson over moron.

take the garbage out
plant the pine

Stop using jobs that pay above min wage as examples of jobs that pay min wage. But taking your point that some people need to work jobs that don't pay enough to live on, said people taking those jobs should not be taking those jobs and expecting to use it as the sole means of providing for themsleves. Those jobs should go to people that aren't counting on that job as their singular source of income.

BTW the company I worked for the last 5 years just laid off 1500 people and sent 3-500 to Canada to work the tar sands, what does this mean?

It means the market is changing. Adapt. Or did someone promise you that doing the same things for the rest of your life would always provide enough to live on?

And as those in Canada, your going to live in a man camp while your faimly will not

Here you're just plain wrong. They are hiring for EVERYTHING. They are going to need housing to be built for all the people moving there. Services will have to expand to meet the new demand. it isn't just jobs in oil fields. Stop you're fucking whining and WORK THE PROBLEM. It isn't anyone elses job to fix this for you. It's yours. If what you're doing now isn't working as well YOU need to start looking at other options, not demand that your employer simply give you more because you need more.

A living wage?

So what does that mean?

100% - 53% = 47%.

Got it?

Ed you can't be this stupid. Since I know you're not that stupid the only explanation is you're being intentionally dishonest by tryng to sell this idea that half the population isn't able to supprt themselves. Why exactly are attempting such a transparent argument? Does that 47% of households are on some form of government assistance?

Last edited:
A living wage?

So what does that mean?

100% - 53% = 47%.

Got it?

How how much did you pay in federal taxes the first year you filed independently?

100% - 53% = 47%.

Got it?

How how much did you pay in federal taxes the first year you filed independently?

Not only that, but currently Mr. Foxfyre and I are among the 47% who pay no federal income tax? Why? Because we are retired and are mostly living off our social security and modest retirement fund plus some modest income from our business that we are gradually winding down. But we do have to file a tax return to show that we don't have to pay federal income tax.

But we drive a good car, live in a nice house, have plenty to eat, have television sets all over the house, computers, shelves full of books, and money to entertain or go out to have fun now and then.

But we are counted among the 47%.

And yes, we support legislation that would require us to pay a flat tax on what modest earnings we have. It is not healthy for almost half the earners in the country to have no stake in the tax system. Only when we share and share alike in the consequences of the laws that are passed will we elect people who look after everybody's interests instead of those who will keep our special privileges intact.

The 47% is NOT based on a 'living wage' concept in any way, shape, or form.

Last edited:
A living wage?

So what does that mean?

I feel strongly those who have been strongly against my idea are lib plants for this reason. 15,000 a year = a dependant, 28,000 a year with dollar for dollar tac cuts = an asset. Free market solutions for a free market issue that is a creation of the federal govt setting that base line poverty level pay

A LLC with 40 emloyees having 25% below the poverty level only cares of there bottom line. Govt sets that bottom line thru pay mandates and many diifferent tax burdens

That's because you are too stupid to know a conservative opinion if it walked up and bit you on the ass. You propose a government mandated living wage and have the nerve to call conservatives who differ with you liberals. If you can't understand how moronic that is, there is little hope for you.

Cutting corporate tax rates
Cutting by 100s of billions the amount of entitlements we spend each year
Adding 100s of billions to the GDP

These are liberal ideas?

If i am the stupid, moronic one, whats your solution?
Do you even have one?
Calling your fellow american these names will get you a prime time talk show on HBO with Bill Mayer, or make a movie with Micheal Moore
Sounds like to me hope is a word you have no understanding of

100% - 53% = 47%.

Got it?

Not only that, but currently Mr. Foxfyre and I are among the 47% who pay no federal income tax? Why? Because we are retired and are mostly living off our social security and modest retirement fund plus some modest income from our business that we are gradually winding down. But we do have to file a tax return to show that we don't have to pay federal income tax.

But we drive a good car, live in a nice house, have plenty to eat, have television sets all over the house, computers, shelves full of books, and money to entertain or go out to have fun now and then.

And yes, we support legislation that would require us to pay a flat tax on what modest earnings we have. It is not healthy for almost half the earners in the country to have no stake in the tax system. Only when we share and share alike in the consequences of the laws that are passed will we elect people who look after everybody's interests instead of those who will keep our special privileges intact.

Did you pay taxes when you collected all of those items? do you pay capital gains tax?
47% of the popualtion is not on SS either
Its allot to do with people who do not make enough to be paert of the solution, there part of the problem

With respect, 7.75 an hour is part of the problem. Let me ask you a simple question
If you had a choice in giving the federal govt 150-175 billion a year or take that same wealth and put it back into the economy, what would you perfer?
The question is that simple

These are liberal ideas?

Do you even have one?
Calling your fellow american these names will get you a prime time talk show on HBO with Bill Mayer, or make a movie with Micheal Moore

Yes moron, we've all given you our conservative solutions multiple times, you just choose to ignore them and refuse to learn from them. No conservative has an issue with cutting taxes or entitlements. Conservatives do have an issue with the government mandating wages. At this point, you should have that figured out......but you don't.

take the garbage out
plant the pine
ND is hiring because they have oil shale on private land. If BHO would allow the same on some public land many more would be hired, with the pipelines he (EPA) has held up we are talking millions
SO what?..One does what they must do to provide for their family or themselves. Where's the problem?
Oh, the layoffs and the relocation of workers.....Your company is run by smart people. They cut labor where it's not needed and hire labor where it is needed.
Again, where's the problem?
Do you really expect the owner of a convenience store in a struggling town to pay his clerks $50k per year based on some moral obligation YOU believe is pressed upon the store owner?

Explain to me where you found I had an issue with those choices I was a part of making? Liberals as well as people who have no clue as to what this issue is really about make these things up as they go. That is exactly what you just did

It was wrote above that there are jobs in ND and not in exact wording, but left no doubt that all one would have to do is show up in ND for a job

My point is simple. 80-90% of those jobs are spoken for X 5. the only jobs left are for those bottom wage earners at entry level. probably 20 for every 300. I know I have man loaded these projects

I have worked on the road building America for 25 years. I have been to the top of the corporate ladder twice. What exactly is in your back ground that gives you the right to judge people, jobs and all the glory you have made living in a 35' tralier with another man you probably have never met while your faimly is 100s of miles away?

Most faimlies cannot survuve it, so whats your point here? and trust me the living wage issue does not exist here, so what does it have to do with the thread?

ND is without a doubt helping my sector to keep 1 in 5 working, its NO place for a person to just show up and get a job. That is the reality
To answer your question...you're whining about it.
And with this last post, you're whining still.
"living in a trailer with another man while your family is hundreds of miles away"..WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Genius, there are tons of jobs where people travel far from home for weeks or months at a time. So what?
Most families cannot survive it.....Bullshit.
Here's a short list of occupations where someone has to travel for extended periods of time.....
Pro sports official
tower( cell, radio, tv) workers
long distance wireline techs and managers.
Fishermen( particularly crab, cod, halibut)
Over the road truckers.
Auto racing team members.
I think you get the picture
And so what if there are more applicants than jobs for the higher paying positions?.
If there were more jobs than people, the wages would be MUCH lower. Supply and demand. Once again, labor is a commodity.
Show me where I judged people......in the narrow context of your complaint.
Your last post was all over the place. Quite frankly I think you've realized you've been schooled in this debate so you are trying to throw mud at the wall to see what sticks.
We're quite through here.

take the garbage out
plant the pine

Stop using jobs that pay above min wage as examples of jobs that pay min wage. But taking your point that some people need to work jobs that don't pay enough to live on, said people taking those jobs should not be taking those jobs and expecting to use it as the sole means of providing for themsleves. Those jobs should go to people that aren't counting on that job as their singular source of income.

It means the market is changing. Adapt. Or did someone promise you that doing the same things for the rest of your life would always provide enough to live on?

Here you're just plain wrong. They are hiring for EVERYTHING. They are going to need housing to be built for all the people moving there. Services will have to expand to meet the new demand. it isn't just jobs in oil fields. Stop you're fucking whining and WORK THE PROBLEM. It isn't anyone elses job to fix this for you. It's yours. If what you're doing now isn't working as well YOU need to start looking at other options, not demand that your employer simply give you more because you need more.

Bern I am doing fine, what part of accurate info do you have an issue with?
there is no-one building housing in ND, there is no reason. these jobs for the most part temp.
MAN CAMPS, I KNOW
Bern your losing it bud. This is not personal
when did you read in this thread it was about me? what I am doing now has NOTHING to do with this issue or is it any of your business

Bern your such a fucking dick head, chill out ok
you dont have to agree with me, but stop making this about everything but what its about

Lowering taxes
taking people off of entitlement programs
adding people to the tax base
raising the minimum wage thru tax policy changes

And thats it, your making a fool out of your self and any adult can see it

A living wage?

So what does that mean?

100% - 53% = 47%.

Got it?
Just because one ends up with no federal tax burden has no bearing on whether their wage reaches some University researcher's definition of "living".
In order for your statement to make any sense, you'd have to provide a link where proof is provided that the absence of federal tax burden is a direct corollary to the alleged 'living wage'.....Right now, you are simply spewing spin.

Now...Once again, you got these stats from where?

These are liberal ideas?

Do you even have one?

Yes moron, we've all given you our conservative solutions multiple times, you just choose to ignore them and refuse to learn from them. No conservative has an issue with cutting taxes or entitlements. Conservatives do have an issue with the government mandating wages. At this point, you should have that figured out......but you don't.

So your solution to lowering the number of people on entitlement programs is to do away with the minimum wage?
thats it?
Leave taxes where they are?
how do you suggest we pay for the 1.4 trillion dollars we are short on a balanced budget that is a direct result of people on entitlement programs?

You can call me names all you want, the problem will never change and it makes you and Bern look more like a chold every-time you do this

These are liberal ideas?

Do you even have one?

Would you stop being so deliberatley obtuse? It really is getting pathatic and annoying. I'm gonna spell this out for you again.

NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT YOUR TAX CUTS BEING LIBERAL. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT ONE ASPECT AND ONE ASPECT ONLY OF YOUR SOLUTION. THAT IS USING THE THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO MAKE A BUSINESS PAY PEOPLE ENOUGH TO LIVE ON. WHEN YOU CAN EXPLAIN WHY THAT SPECIFIC ACTION IS NOT LIBERAL WE'LL LISTEN, BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP ARGUING APPLES WHEN THE REST OF US ARE TALKING ABOUT ORANGES.

100% - 53% = 47%.

Got it?

See here's where it gets sticky for the libs. They WANT to count the 47% of ALL who do not pay federal taxes so they can use the stat for political advantage. They dismiss the 47% when it is not to their political advantage.
Now, the 47% figure actually does not include retirees. The figure represents the percentage of wager earners. Not a percentage of the entire population.
I have no idea where JRK is going with this. He claims conservative status but I have my reservations. All I have seen from JRK on this matter is a lot of complaining

100% - 53% = 47%.

Got it?
Just because one ends up with no federal tax burden has no bearing on whether their wage reaches some University researcher's definition of "living".
In order for your statement to make any sense, you'd have to provide a link where proof is provided that the absence of federal tax burden is a direct corollary to the alleged 'living wage'.....Right now, you are simply spewing spin.

Now...Once again, you got these stats from where?

Not my place to answer, but
The Tax Foundation - Number of Americans Paying Zero Federal Income Tax Grows to 43.4 Million

And $ is the issue with wellfare and medicare, medicade

$695 billion (+4.9%) – Social Security
$571 billion (+58.6%) – Unemployment/Welfare/Other mandatory spending
$453 billion (+6.6%) – Medicare
$290 billion (+12.0%) – Medicaid
SS is paid for
the UE number should never be with the UE number as UE is for the most part funded, in fact I think until 2010 it was 100% funded
you can google and find out

You see the issues?

Forum List

Back