Explain to us Libs, what is a living wage?

Here's another interesting article. It highlights just how much the choices you make effect your financial standing.

First Person: My $50,000 Salary Felt Like Minimum Wage | Work + Money - Yahoo! Shine

She is going to have a hard time getting any sympathizers. If anything this article shows how much the choices you make effect your financial position.

Commute costs to much? Move or buy a more fuel efficeint car.

Childcare costs? How much you need to support your family I would think would be more of a priority.

Using worn out as an excuse to constantly rely on take out? Go to the grocery store and start planning your meals better.

Spending more on clothes? I promise your boss doesn't care how many different outfits you have as long as you get the job done in them. And office parties? Again no sympathy here.

Expensive vacations? Find cheaper ways to manage your stress.

Articles like thes are infuriating to me. You're high paying job does NOT equal min. wage. YOUR life style choices equaled min. wage.

Not very bright is she.
About as sharp as a bowling ball

When my son turned 16, he started looking for a job to pay for his truck. Like our parents before us, we told him that we would not buy him a car, buy his gas or his insurance and if he wanted a car, he had to work for it. Now, that being said, we did help by throwing in $1500 with his $1500 and getting a loan for the remaining $6000 since he couldnt, but it was up to him to make the monthly payments. He went on a job interview and was offered a job.....at minimum wage for X number of hours per week. It wasn't enough to pay his expenses (needs). Rather than expect the employer to pay him what he needed, he said thank you for the opportunity, but I'll have to look elsewhere as that isn't enough for me to meet my obligations. Luckily for him, he had a skill the employer needed (it was a portrait studio and he knew Photoshop forwards and backwards) and they decided to give him enough additional hours that would be enough for him to meet his onligations. They didn't pay him a living wage because he deserved it. They gave him enough hours because he already had a skill they needed and they wouldn't have to train him. If someone's job doesn't pay enough to live off of, they have two choices. Change their lifestyle or improve themselves and get a better job.

I agree with the poster who suggests there is no specific living wage and needs vary according to areas where people life. I am a retired soldier. We bought our home prior to retirement and rented it when we moved around such that it is fully paid for. Our utilities, insurance, taxes, food, fuel and automobile costs run less than $2000 a month. We have enough money to live on, help our kids when they need it and do virtually every thing we want. I have a daughter who makes $70,000 a year whose husband makes at least $50,000, who live about 2 miles from us, who can hardly get by every month on what they make.

In my opinion, a living wage is in the eyes of the beholder, but no one is owed the right to live in the manner in which they would like, but only enough to survive with dignity.

I don't like minimum wages because every time there is an increase in minimum wage most union contracts require a proportional wage increase and no one gets ahead a nickles worth.

In my opinion if someone lives in a high cost area and want to live better, they should move to a lower cost area. I know some retired soldiers who live in California who constantly whine and cry that their retirement would allow them to live better on what they have.

I also object to the exorbitant wage packages of many Unions, (like UAW whose wage package is on average $73 an hour includes all benefits). They are only 12% of the work force and non-union laborers and retired people can't afford goods made by union workers. (88% can't always afford what the 12% make)

Then there are teachers who make (here in AL) make $35K to $39K for 9 months work (180 days work spread over 9 months) which if extrapolated = $45- $50 a year. Over paid based on the results they are getting now.
$120 k per year and they are just getting by?
Three words.. Poor financial management
Everyday I meet people who are living in three or four thousand square foot homes who appear to make plenty of money yet there are rooms in the home that are unfurnished.
IN the garage, there are two vehicles that are late model. No doubt there is outstanding debt. Many times there is a boat or rv parked out back.
Bottom line is the more people earn, the more they spend. So many people are mind numbed ot the realities of financial planning. They look around their neighborhoods, see what their neighbors have and figure they need to keep up an image. Others believe in using or I should say, overusing credit. They believe they can buy what ever they want because they have a job.
Now, the real tragedy is these people have a difficult time paying their bills on time. They get angry when utility, pay tv and the day care demand to paid on time. They then vent at the system., They say their income is not enough to make it. They cannot get ahead.
To all of that I say NONSENSE. Priority number one should be take care of your needs and live within your means. Always have money for a rainy day.
And most importantly NO WHINING!

DrSmith wrote
In my opinion, a living wage is in the eyes of the beholder, but no one is owed the right to live in the manner in which they would like, but only enough to survive with dignity.

That of course was included in a far larger context, most of which I agreed with, but this one comment I thought deserved closer scrutiny. DISCLAIMER: My interpretation of the one 'questionable' phrase may or may not be at all what he intended with the line.

The line is: ". . . .no one is owed the right to live in the manner in which they would like, but only enough to survive with dignity."

Remember awhile back when Donald Trump was forced to file for reorganization under bankruptcy protection? Everybody he owed got paid later, but the action kept his creditors at bay and bought him time to straighten everything out and get back on track? Which he did. During the process, the judge had to allocate an allowance to live on that he could use out of his assets. To my amazement, the judge took into considerate Trump's aflluent lifestyle and, based on that, allocated a much larger allowance than we mortals could expect to get.

This kind of illustrates that what would be 'dignity' to Donald Trump would be unimaginably rich to most of us. And conversely, what would be 'dignity' to me might be abject poverty to another and unreasonable affluence to still somebody else. How do you define 'dignity'? And do any of us have a right for others to provide us with that?

Anytime we consider that the world owes us a certain standard of living, a living that has to be provided by somebody else's labor and/or out of their assets, I think we are stepping into a bottomless quicksand. Everybody should have a fair shot at earning a living, yes. But to be owed a living? That doesn't really mesh with our concepts of freedom and self determination.

Living wage is STILL about $11, the eqivalent of 1968's min. wage, before Nixon and Reagun got a hold of it. With health costs and college costs skyrocketing in the last 30 years under voodoo, along with the non rich being squeezed to protect the rich, life is much tougher than the 50's-70's. Dems want to fix these things, Pubs want a banana republic, they're so selfish, ignorant, and myopic. The dupes are brainwashed blindered fools. tyvm see signature

I agree with the poster who suggests there is no specific living wage and needs vary according to areas where people life. I am a retired soldier. We bought our home prior to retirement and rented it when we moved around such that it is fully paid for. Our utilities, insurance, taxes, food, fuel and automobile costs run less than $2000 a month. We have enough money to live on, help our kids when they need it and do virtually every thing we want. I have a daughter who makes $70,000 a year whose husband makes at least $50,000, who live about 2 miles from us, who can hardly get by every month on what they make.

I don't like minimum wages because every time there is an increase in minimum wage most union contracts require a proportional wage increase and no one gets ahead a nickles worth.

In my opinion if someone lives in a high cost area and want to live better, they should move to a lower cost area. I know some retired soldiers who live in California who constantly whine and cry that their retirement would allow them to live better on what they have.

I also object to the exorbitant wage packages of many Unions, (like UAW whose wage package is on average $73 an hour includes all benefits). They are only 12% of the work force and non-union laborers and retired people can't afford goods made by union workers. (88% can't always afford what the 12% make)

Then there are teachers who make (here in AL) make $35K to $39K for 9 months work (180 days work spread over 9 months) which if extrapolated = $45- $50 a year. Over paid based on the results they are getting now.
$120 k per year and they are just getting by?
Three words.. Poor financial management
Everyday I meet people who are living in three or four thousand square foot homes who appear to make plenty of money yet there are rooms in the home that are unfurnished.
IN the garage, there are two vehicles that are late model. No doubt there is outstanding debt. Many times there is a boat or rv parked out back.
Bottom line is the more people earn, the more they spend. So many people are mind numbed ot the realities of financial planning. They look around their neighborhoods, see what their neighbors have and figure they need to keep up an image. Others believe in using or I should say, overusing credit. They believe they can buy what ever they want because they have a job.
Now, the real tragedy is these people have a difficult time paying their bills on time. They get angry when utility, pay tv and the day care demand to paid on time. They then vent at the system., They say their income is not enough to make it. They cannot get ahead.
To all of that I say NONSENSE. Priority number one should be take care of your needs and live within your means. Always have money for a rainy day.
And most importantly NO WHINING!

I agree. Expectations and priorities. In most areas in a small town a couple can live on $2,000 with dignity.

Living wage is STILL about $11, the eqivalent of 1968's min. wage, before Nixon and Reagun got a hold of it. With health costs and college costs skyrocketing in the last 30 years under voodoo, along with the non rich being squeezed to protect the rich, life is much tougher than the 50's-70's. Dems want to fix these things, Pubs want a banana republic, they're so selfish, ignorant, and myopic. The dupes are brainwashed blindered fools. tyvm see signature
That is hogwash. Nixon and Reagan did nothing to hurt the economy. Especially under Reagan, there was unmatched prosperity. Clinton did ok and so did Bush 1 until mismanaged CRA, over extended ARMs and too much realestate speculation created a housing bubble causing realestate to be way over priced, the bottom fell out, that caused a recession which carried over into Obama who has made the situation worse by increasing the national debt at a rate 1.78 times faster than Bush II. When you choose to talk national economics get your facts straight instead of parroting left wing nutter propaganda and following the democratic party leftwing like sheep. As a moderate democrat who is 3/4 a century old I have seen recessions come and go but Obama's incompetence has caused the most recent recession to recover at the slowest pace of any, ever.

If it takes 15.00 an hour to have a "living" wage, well I really dont have an issue with that except that really all your doing is raising the cost to build a widget, or grow a widget to a point in which the 8.00 an hour becomes 15.00 an hour it seems to me
What is a living wage?

Minimum wage should be legislated not by the federal government and not by the state but by the county in which you live.

A "living wage" is highly subjective however a living wage can be calculated via regional economics..

10 bucks an hour will go a lot further in Green Bay than it will in Chicago.

Hell up in Alaska casheers are making 20-25 bucks an hour but milk costs 7.99 a gallon and a bottle of Pepsi is 2.79..

A living wage should be based on regional or communal economics - in theory the living wage should slide...

That is hogwash. Nixon and Reagan did nothing to hurt the economy. Especially under Reagan, there was unmatched prosperity. Clinton did ok and so did Bush 1 until mismanaged CRA, over extended ARMs and too much realestate speculation created a housing bubble causing realestate to be way over priced, the bottom fell out, that caused a recession which carried over into Obama who has made the situation worse by increasing the national debt at a rate 1.78 times faster than Bush II. When you choose to talk national economics get your facts straight instead of parroting left wing nutter propaganda and following the democratic party leftwing like sheep. As a moderate democrat who is 3/4 a century old I have seen recessions come and go but Obama's incompetence has caused the most recent recession to recover at the slowest pace of any, ever.

Ignore franco. He's a troll that has posted the same thing over and over in this thread. He adds nothing.

Just the truth, dittohead. I didn't say Nixon and Reagan's economies suqed, though price controls and quadrupling the deficit weren't what they ran on, and they screwed poor workers and the minimum wage. Dumbazzes.

Has nothing to do with Pubs filibustering EVERYTHING since 2/4.2010? fearmongering about NHC that all neutral obserervers say will save money? About all the new regs that don't exist?
All your BS about CRA and F+F is pure Pubcrappe. The CRA and F+F had been around for years and were doing about 80% of subprime loans, but under BOOOSH, his cronies in private institutions grabbed 80% of those loans 2003-6 and wrecked the world. Bush crippled SEC enforcement and his pals went nuts. You are brainwashed by Rush, Pubs,Murdoch, and Rev. Moon. Change the channel.

You are a left wing fanatic. Your post is nothing but propaganda based on left nutter BS. I don't agree with you, period. Tone it down to a dull roar if you want anyone to believe you are a serious poster.

Shove it up your azz, brainwashed dittohead Pub dupe. You believe big Pub lies. Barney Frank caused the 2nd Pub Great Depression, and letting Wall St. And Gm go out of business go out of business would have been a great idea. Did you know Pubs have filibustered everything since 2/4/2009, and ruined the recovery? Ask the EU...
My Master's in History says you're a brainwashed Pubdolt. Change the channel and memorize my signature. Hoping for your recovery.

If it takes 15.00 an hour to have a "living" wage, well I really dont have an issue with that except that really all your doing is raising the cost to build a widget, or grow a widget to a point in which the 8.00 an hour becomes 15.00 an hour it seems to me
What is a living wage?

An objective you are willing to do what it takes, to earn it yourself....:eusa_whistle:

Frank was out of power for your first two quotes, and has admitted he was trying to protect it with the third..
$11 is still the living wage now. And due to trhe Pub Great Recession, we have to wait.

What is a living wage?

Minimum wage should be legislated not by the federal government and not by the state but by the county in which you live.

A "living wage" is highly subjective however a living wage can be calculated via regional economics..

10 bucks an hour will go a lot further in Green Bay than it will in Chicago.

Hell up in Alaska casheers are making 20-25 bucks an hour but milk costs 7.99 a gallon and a bottle of Pepsi is 2.79..

A living wage should be based on regional or communal economics - in theory the living wage should slide...

All true, and any locality can ADD to the 11.00 living wage if it is found to not be enough.
Unfortunately, states' rights is too often code for regression. COUNTY rights could be way ridiculous...

Btw, trollsdon't stay on OP, just insult, I believe. Very few Dem trolls, as we're right LOL.

Just the truth, dittohead. I didn't say Nixon and Reagan's economies suqed, though price controls and quadrupling the deficit weren't what they ran on, and they screwed poor workers and the minimum wage. Dumbazzes.

Dittohead would imply I'm a Rush fan. I've never heard more than 2 minutes at a time of him since he started in the business. Unlike partisan hacks like you, I do my own thinking. I see talk radio and punditry for the three ring circus it is.

Dittohead would imply I'm a Rush fan. I've never heard more than 2 minutes at a time of him since he started in the business. Unlike partisan hacks like you, I do my own thinking. I see talk radio and punditry for the three ring circus it is.
The point is if you do not allow yourself to be indoctrinated by the left wing media, you are a right wing extremist.
But it's ok with them if you're a left wing extremist....
The other issue is, the lefties ignore the destruction of the economy perpetrated by Carter. He instituted wage and price controls, pissed off the Arabs and they shut off oil to the West and he froze federal hiring.

Last edited:
Shove it up your azz, brainwashed dittohead Pub dupe. You believe big Pub lies. Barney Frank caused the 2nd Pub Great Depression, and letting Wall St. And Gm go out of business go out of business would have been a great idea. Did you know Pubs have filibustered everything since 2/4/2009, and ruined the recovery? Ask the EU...
My Master's in History says you're a brainwashed Pubdolt. Change the channel and memorize my signature. Hoping for your recovery.

Let me guess....anyone who disagrees with you is 'pub dupe'? You keep posting the same shit over and over. Maybe $11 an hour is what min wage was in 1968. WHAT'S YOUR FUCKING POINT? Is it supposed to be more in your opinion? Should the government be mandating a living wage at all in your opinion? You're as bad as JRK. It isn't that anyone disagrees with your stance you douche bag. It's that you write your posts with a level of incoherrence that no knows what the fuck you're saying.

Masters in History? Thank you for highlighting a fundamental cause of this min wage problem you have. It's people like you studying shit that has little value to people in the real world. Before you decided to study your passion in life, did you do any research as to whether it was in demand at all in the labor market? Have you recouped your investment yet in that masters program?

Actually I'm 60 years old so I know what Nixon did to the country. And you don't have to listen to Rush to be a dittohead/Pub dupe/Foxbot/Moonie- It'all the same dumb and dumber, un-American, brainwashed, ignorant, Pubcrappe- see signature. The truth is repetitive- your BS is endlessly new, different, and horseshytte. You're a disgrace to America and humanity, dittohead/Foxbot/Moonie /haters. Hoping for your recovery. Then you'll understand it. LOL

Actually I'm 60 years old so I know what Nixon did to the country. And you don't have to listen to Rush to be a dittohead/Pub dupe/Foxbot/Moonie- It'all the same dumb and dumber, un-American, brainwashed, ignorant, Pubcrappe- see signature. The truth is repetitive- your BS is endlessly new, different, and horseshytte. You're a disgrace to America and humanity, dittohead/Foxbot/Moonie /haters. Hoping for your recovery. Then you'll understand it. LOL

Actually yes you would. One would have to first know what these people say to parrot them, which is basically what you're accussing the rest of us of being because you're too much of a chicken shit to actually debate the issue. I don't listen to Rush. I don't watch Fox. Hell, I'm not even a registered Republcan. I'm a libertarian. As such I dislike Republicans nearly as much as I dislike Democrats. Not agreeing with you doesn't make me pub dupe. It doesn't change the FACT that what the min. wage equivalent was in 1968 is IRRELEVENT. YOU AREN'T ENTITLED TO A LIVING WAGE.

The only disgrace here is you. How the fuck did you get to be 60 years old and this stupid? The old axiom appears true with you. You really can't teach an old dog anything new. Stop pissing and moaning about what people are supposed to do for you and try anyway.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back