Falling off motercycles.

Crixus

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2015
Awhile back I relayed an incedent I had where I applied my front break and my bike went down. Larsky responded in a way that inspired me to really examine why I made my bike to down. I left it at the the possibility that Larsky rides a fairly modern bike with ABS and that's why he can get away with just using front break. So yesterday I was riding with a guy from work and his girlfriend. She wanted to practice some. Itnwas raining pretty good yesterday, just a crappy day. It started raining really bad so we headed to our homes. Now, as we headed out we were on a side road that heads into a main road, there is a signal light, and a left turn and you are on the main road. She was moving pretty good, maybe 25 30 mph. She began to slow us to, then right before she made the turn, she just falls right over to the left. Her bike is a 2000 sportster. Pretty plane Jane bike, but real nice. So I figure this is either heavy use of front break, or maybe trying to down shift in the turn? I tried looking for a YouTube for some possibilities, what I noticed is that people who rode big bikes seem to go down the same way. Low speed and almost always in a turn. Is this improper breaking, or improper shifting?

I tried looking for a YouTube for some possibilities, what I noticed is that people who rode big bikes seem to go down the same way. Low speed and almost always in a turn. Is this improper breaking, or improper shifting?
I haven't ridden for years, but I remember all my mistakes. You can lock up the rear wheel and you do a crazy fishtail dance. But lock up the front brake and you're going down and there's nothing you can do.

Awhile back I relayed an incedent I had where I applied my front break and my bike went down. Larsky responded in a way that inspired me to really examine why I made my bike to down. I left it at the the possibility that Larsky rides a fairly modern bike with ABS and that's why he can get away with just using front break. So yesterday I was riding with a guy from work and his girlfriend. She wanted to practice some. Itnwas raining pretty good yesterday, just a crappy day. It started raining really bad so we headed to our homes. Now, as we headed out we were on a side road that heads into a main road, there is a signal light, and a left turn and you are on the main road. She was moving pretty good, maybe 25 30 mph. She began to slow us to, then right before she made the turn, she just falls right over to the left. Her bike is a 2000 sportster. Pretty plane Jane bike, but real nice. So I figure this is either heavy use of front break, or maybe trying to down shift in the turn? I tried looking for a YouTube for some possibilities, what I noticed is that people who rode big bikes seem to go down the same way. Low speed and almost always in a turn. Is this improper breaking, or improper shifting?

It doesnt help that oil collects in turns where there's not a bunch of traffic to disperse it.
Add a little water and that shits like ice.

I learned when I was just a junior caveman to use the front brake sparingly and softly because of that reason.

I've been riding for 20 years and the only accident I had was at a standstill at a red light when a bitch texting behind me plowed into me. She wasn't going faster than 5*10mph but she popped that bike out from under me, jammed it under the truck in front of me and I wound up flat on my back in the road. I had full gear on but still suffered whiplash and a knee injury as my knee smashed against the dash.

A quick little lawsuit later and I had a brand new bike and some spendin' cash.

I've been riding for 20 years and the only accident I had was at a standstill at a red light when a bitch texting behind me plowed into me. She wasn't going faster than 5mph but she popped that bike out from under me, jammed it under the truck in front of me and I wound up flat on my back in the road. I had full gear on but still suffered whiplash.

A quick little lawsuit later and I had a brand new bike and some spendin' cash.

I've been riding for 45 years and had one accident on the street.
Totally my fault,glanced down at my instrument cluster in a turn,swung a little wide and hit some gravel on the side of the road.
Thank God for the nicely maintained bushes in the median.
It was like diving into a pile of pillows at 30 mph.

I learned when I was just a junior caveman to use the front brake sparingly and softly because of that reason.

Yep. I never road much on the asphalt, but was taught from the get to only use back brakes

Many years ago I was making a slow left handed leaning turn onto my driveway while riding a Super Glide.
Just barely taped the front brake and the bike went down in front of some friends. Talk about embarrassing.
From that day on, I never touched the front brake except when going straight, and only in conjunction while using the rear brake first. ... :cool:

Yep. I never road much on the asphalt, but was taught from the get to only use back brakes

You get the majority of your braking power with the front brake.
I've always used it hard and often,even in corners if conditions are good.
Of course I learned how to use it on a dirt bike where the fuck ups dont hurt near as bad.

BRAKE, dummy.

Of course I learned how to use it on a dirt bike where the fuck ups dont hurt near as bad.
Yup, front brake for certain moves on a dirt bike to do sharp, quick turns if you're good at it, on asphalt........ don't try it unless you're doing a stoppie...........

Yup, front brake for certain moves on a dirt bike to do sharp, quick turns if you're good at it, on asphalt........ don't try it unless you're doing a stoppie...........

As long as condition are good using the front brake in corners gives you more traction up front by transferring weight to the front tire giving it more grip.
And you only use it entering the turn once released you should be rolling on more power coming out.

As long as condition are good using the front brake in corners gives you more traction up front by transferring weight to the front tire giving it more grip.
And you only use it entering the turn once released you should be rolling on more power coming out.
Sorry, I was referring to the hard brake maneuvers on dirt bikes and should have clarified more. Yes, softly applying front brake in many instances on asphalt is quite appropriate.

I've often wondered if using the front brake during a turn somehow negates the gyroscopic effect of the front wheel and creates instability that can lead to the bike and rider going down? ... :cool:

If you ain't got a front brake you ain't got nuthin'. On the Japanese road bikes I've ridden a back brake is only good on gravel or for making the arse end slide everywhere.

And I certainly make it a point to try never to brake in a turn, front or back. That's just asking for it. Take the power off and grind the pegs if you get caught out.

Sounds like it was just too much bike for her and she panicked when slowing because she could feel the weight more when not under power.

My road skills came from dirt biking, and I have never dumped a street bike. Haven't rode for two years since my 82 Honda Davidson started smoking like a mosquito fogger.:(

Really want a newer bike, but not currently in my economic forecast.

Forum List

Back