family sending all ten of their home-schooled children to college by the age of 12

Alabama? Look up Florida and the latest scandals out of Georgia! It is a national problem. There is no comparison between public school & homeschool. It is night and day.

The sad thing is that many single parents don't realize this is a better solution for them. Better education for their children and less expensive. It is a win win situation.

It's not for everybody. How flippin' hard is that for you to understand?

Sorry, but that's not obvious at all. The odds that 10 kids in the same family will all be gifted is indistinguishable from zero. What his case shows beyond all doubt is that homeschooling is better than public schooling.

I think it's great, but I don't think this proves that homeschooling is better than public schooling.

All it proves is that homeschooling is better than "Alabama" public schooling.

Actually it doesn't prove that either.

Good on the kids though.

I'm familiar with Alabama schools. It doesn't take much to surpass them.

Home schooling is as effective as the home schooling teachers.

One would think this was rather obvious, but apparently it is not.

Test scores of home schooled kids as compared to their government school counterparts certainly suggest that home school teachers (AKA parents) are more effective.

The elephant in the room that you are ignoring is parental involvement. Public school students whose parents are involved in their edcuation also do very well. It is about parental involvement, not the quality of public school education. When you look at those stats that say home schooling is better, you are looking at an unbalanced comparison. The public school stats include all kinds of kids from all kinds of homes. The majority of kids who are in public schools come from homes where the parent is not involved in the child's education, but, instead simply sends the kids off and expects the school to do everything. The kids who are home schooled have parents who are involved in their children's learning. If you took only the kids in public schools whose parents are involved and compared them to home schooled kids, you'd find that those public school students do as well or better than home schooled kids. The problem with public education in the US isn't the schools, it is the families and social problems.

Last edited:
Alabama? Look up Florida and the latest scandals out of Georgia! It is a national problem. There is no comparison between public school & homeschool. It is night and day.

The sad thing is that many single parents don't realize this is a better solution for them. Better education for their children and less expensive. It is a win win situation.

True. some people are just not committed to their childrens' welfare.

Wrong. It isn't for you. Why don't you go to a different topic? This obviously isn't your cup of tea.

Ouch!

Again with the insults. I guarantee you that I'm every bit as committed to my children and their welfare as you are to yours. Home schooling is not for everybody. Again, how fucking hard is that to understand?

To be fair to liberals and conservatives here - many people are just now finding out about the benefits of home schooling. They never heard much about it. As stories like this emerge there will be many more people - from all walks of life - homeschooling their children. I wish them all the best. Every child deserves a good start in life. Home schooling will give it to them. Who could possibly love them more & show more interest in their studies? Parents make great teachers! Go for it! What have you got to lose, America?

If they're Republicans, they should stay away from the publicity. It might upset the party.

Last edited by a moderator:

Again with the insults. I guarantee you that I'm every bit as committed to my children and their welfare as you are to yours. Home schooling is not for everybody. Again, how fucking hard is that to understand?

You have been far more insulting by attempting to ruin his thread on this board, Bongo. You are a very inconsiderate person in my opinion.

Bripat, the thread topic is excellent. Thanks for the interesting discussion. - Jeri

The very story reveals the impracticality of home schooling for the great majority of American families.

Congratulations to the family who made it work.

You have been far more insulting by attempting to ruin his thread on this board, Bongo. You are a very inconsiderate person in my opinion.

Bripat, the thread topic is excellent. Thanks for the interesting discussion. - Jeri

I'm sorry. If you don't want to be insulted by me, then I suggest you not fire the first shot. Or am I simply to accept your insults without question because you're some Holier Than Thou Christian and I'm just a heathen who says "fuck" a lot?

Oh and for the record, I don't give two shits on a ritz cracker what you think of me.

The very story reveals the impracticality of home schooling for the great majority of American families.

Congratulations to the family who made it work.

Actually it proves that it is the future of education. For those who are interested in one.

Let's face it. Anything the government gets involved in ends up being a failure. So it was no surprise education failed and the home school movement is the new education of the future.

I'll tell you another movement that is growing. Home churches. That's another discussion. We'll leave that for another time.

I'm sorry. If you don't want to be insulted by me, then I suggest you not fire the first shot. Or am I simply to accept your insults without question because you're some Holier Than Thou Christian and I'm just a heathen who says "fuck" a lot?

Oh and for the record, I don't give two shits on a ritz cracker what you think of me.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You have a nice day now. - Jeri

Ouch!

Parents that work cannot homeschool, but that doesn't mean they are not committed to their children's welfare.

Some parents are not equipped to teach their children, they're better off to let public school do the job, and that to me is a more committed parent than one who can't teach but insists on doing it.

Wrong. They can participate in a group that will homeschool your child for you and you barter babysitting on the weekend - lots of different ways to barter.

If there is a will? There is a way. Lots of single parents have their children participating in the home schooler program. You would be amazed at the support, the networking and help available to you out there. These are mainly Christian groups, they will be more than happy to help those who need the extra help. I've seen them do it before!

As to your claim that public schools are better equipped than some parents? That is not true. The public school system is an utter failure. ANYTHING would be better than warehousing your children in one of those hell holes. - Jeri

Last edited:
Wrong. They can participate in a group that will homeschool your child for you and you barter babysitting on the weekend - lots of different ways to barter.
But the parents wouldn't be doing the homeschooling, in that case. So your "committed parent meme" is out the window.

If there is a will? There is a way. Lots of single parents have their children participating in the home schooler program. You would be amazed at the support, the networking and help available to you out there. These are mainly Christian groups, they will be more than happy to help those who need the extra help. I've seen them do it before!

So, you think sending your children to a "homeschooler program" where a parent that might not be educated is teaching your children, is better than a public school where an educated and certified teacher is doing the teaching?

In it's day....Mozart was popular culture
Shakespeare was written for the masses
Jazz music was the music of savages

You have to allow each generation to establish their own popular culture. It is a common bond for a generation.

Years from now, your children will hear a joke relating to a character on the Simpsons, a popular movie....maybe a reference to a video game. They will sit here clueless as everyone else laughs

They may be smart.....but not that kind of smart

Kids will rebel and be attracted to people who their parents do not want them to listen to. There has to be some supervision and common sense, but it must be done from the side and cannot have anything to do with your taste or what you think is quality and trash. Once my wife was not sure if she wanted our daughter listening to a particular artist. I asked here if she wanted to be the parent who would not let her kid going to see Elvis or the Beatles. That was the end of that.

While I Agree with that, it depends on the age, and the artist....I mean some hip hop songs are pretty blunt about what' they're talking about and I wouldnt let my kids touch them.....thank god they never tried to listen to em(atleast when I was around).....but for the most part a song with a good double entendre like Pour Some Sugar on Me, I'm ok with.

That is what I meant about supervision and common sense from the side.

Liberals do understand that public schools suck and are getting worse....social promotion and other things are killing them......get rid of diversity training, social promotion.....anything to do with demographics and just teach kids the basics no sex ed, how to live with roomates and other bullshit., until then public schools will continue to suck....

Liberals do not know that public schools suck???? What bullshit!!! You cannot believe that.

Forum List

Back