Fast food workers take to the streets

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010

Thousands of fast food workers are expected to stage protests Thursday outside of restaurants such as McDonald’s, Burger King and Domino’s in a coordinated push for higher pay.

Backed by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), fast food workers in 150 cities plan to walk off the job and pick up picket signs to demand that they be paid no less than $15 per hour. It will be the seventh strike organized by the Fast Food Forward campaign since November 2012, when the campaign began.

"At Thursday’s strike, fast food restaurants will see firsthand that workers are willing to do whatever it takes to win $15 and union rights,” said Kendall Fells, the organizing director at Fast Food Forward, which receives funding from the SEIU.

Read more: Fast food workers take to the streets TheHill
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

The only result the SEIU would have is increasing the prices of fast food so it would no longer be the deal it is today, pushing consumers away.

Looks like there may be job openings at the Fast Food places if anyone is interested...

Thousands of fast food workers are expected to stage protests Thursday outside of restaurants such as McDonald’s, Burger King and Domino’s in a coordinated push for higher pay.

Whoops!

Backed by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), fast food workers in 150 cities plan to walk off the job and pick up picket signs to demand that they be paid no less than $15 per hour. It will be the seventh strike organized by the Fast Food Forward campaign since November 2012, when the campaign began.

"At Thursday’s strike, fast food restaurants will see firsthand that workers are willing to do whatever it takes to win $15 and union rights,” said Kendall Fells, the organizing director at Fast Food Forward, which receives funding from the SEIU.

Read more: Fast food workers take to the streets TheHill
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

The only result the SEIU would have is increasing the prices of fast food so it would no longer be the deal it is today, pushing consumers away.

Looks like there may be job openings at the Fast Food places if anyone is interested...

Whoops! Nothing turned up when I searched! Would a Mod delete this thread, please. My apologies to Mudwhistle.

Give them the $15/hour they want. It's unwise to upset the people who handle your food. I worked at 3 Taco Bells, and a McDonald's. Maybe a cockroach falls in the fryer, maybe it doesn't. How vigilant I am depends a lot on how well paid I am :)

Give them the $15/hour they want. It's unwise to upset the people who handle your food. I worked at 3 Taco Bells, and a McDonald's. Maybe a cockroach falls in the fryer, maybe it doesn't. How vigilant I am depends a lot on how well paid I am :)
lol thats funny, but true.

Absolutely true. Not even making that up. To that end, anyone buying fast food while this is all going on, be sure to flatter and tell the people who take your order, and loud enough so the people in the back you can't see can hear you how much you hope thye get the bump in pay. ...Your food will be better. :)

So basically you are endorsing extortion.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
So basically you are endorsing extortion.

"Aggressive negotiations."

Fast food companies are multi-billion dollar companies. They can double their whole workforce salary and still be billion dollar companies.

they operate through their franchises, and those operate at smaller margins. The salaries are paid by the franchises, not the mother corporations. People keep forgetting that.

The McDonald's corporation doesn't pay a single one of its employees minimum wage.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
Can you make 45 000 per year at McDonald s in Denmark PunditFact

Lengthy evaluation of the claim "McDonald's workers in Denmark make $45,000" US equivilent, but worthwhile. Judgement was 'mostly true.'

"Here is some simple but not entirely accurate math about what each company would pay if its hourly minimum wage rose to $15. If 75% of the workers at both companies make $8 and the number rose to $15, Walmart’s expense increase would be $18 billion a year. McDonald’s would be $4.5 billion. In the case of McDonald’s, profits would be cut in half. Walmart’s profit would be cut by 80%.

Walmart’s worldwide revenue is $425 billion, and about two-thirds of that in the United States. McDonald’s is much smaller, with worldwide revenue of $28 billion.
What a Minimum Wage Hike to 15 an Hour Could Do to Walmart and McDonald s - 24 7 Wall St.

So McD's drops to 14 billion, and Wal-Mart's to 85 billion. Not exactly suffering compared to the employees who got em there who ARE suffering.

Time to care more about employees who make these companies profitable in the first place than your company's 'high score.'

Lengthy evaluation of the claim "McDonald's workers in Denmark make $45,000" US equivilent, but worthwhile. Judgement was 'mostly true.'

"Here is some simple but not entirely accurate math about what each company would pay if its hourly minimum wage rose to $15. If 75% of the workers at both companies make $8 and the number rose to $15, Walmart’s expense increase would be $18 billion a year. McDonald’s would be $4.5 billion. In the case of McDonald’s, profits would be cut in half. Walmart’s profit would be cut by 80%.

Walmart’s worldwide revenue is $425 billion, and about two-thirds of that in the United States. McDonald’s is much smaller, with worldwide revenue of $28 billion.
What a Minimum Wage Hike to 15 an Hour Could Do to Walmart and McDonald s - 24 7 Wall St.

So McD's drops to 14 billion, and Wal-Mart's to 85 billion. Not exactly suffering compared to the employees who got em there who ARE suffering.

Time to care more about employees who make these companies profitable in the first place than your company's 'high score.'

Great idea. Drop McD's revenue by 50% and WalMart's by 80%.
That'll help workers. LOL!
Moron.

Moron.

That's their profits shit-for-brains. After everyone's been paid, everything bought that's what's left over. If paying employees twice makes happier employees call it a morale boost if you like. But there's no business reason not to reinvest in your own workforce. Better to have longterm employees who are content than short-term ones you constantly have to train who aren't very good at it since there's no reason to try and become so if know your employers gives you the finger while having a 200 dollar lunch.

The minimum wage workforce can shut the country down anytime they want to. Wanna risk a general strike go ahead.

Moron.

That's their profits shit-for-brains. After everyone's been paid, everything bought that's what's left over. If paying employees twice makes happier employees call it a morale boost if you like. But there's no business reason not to reinvest in your own workforce. Better to have longterm employees who are content than short-term ones you constantly have to train who aren't very good at it since there's no reason to try and become so if know your employers gives you the finger while having a 200 dollar lunch.

The minimum wage workforce can shut the country down anytime they want to. Wanna risk a general strike go ahead.

A general strike? Lol, the min wage workforce isn't exactly part of the necessary infrastructure of the country.

Last time a government gave the finger to the poor the government's heads wound up on pikes and the French Revolution began.

A general strike? Lol, the min wage workforce isn't exactly part of the necessary infrastructure of the country.

"Among those paid by the hour, 1.6 million earned exactly the prevailing federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. About 2.0 million had wages below the federal minimum.2 Together, these 3.6 million workers with wages at or below the federal minimum made up 4.7 percent of all hourly paid workers."
Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers 2012

Wanna find out what happens if 3.6 million people call in sick?

Sad whats happening to the youth of America.
The ole "I'll work harder when you pay me more" rather than working harder to EARN more pay.
And now we have extortion for better pay. Even Gen Xers make these clowns look bad.

"Among those paid by the hour, 1.6 million earned exactly the prevailing federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. About 2.0 million had wages below the federal minimum.2 Together, these 3.6 million workers with wages at or below the federal minimum made up 4.7 percent of all hourly paid workers."

Wouldnt bother me one bit. Lets see who can go without a paycheck longer. Me,the retired guy. Or the min wage worker who lives paycheck to paycheck.
I'm pretty confident in the outcome.

Local delis make stunning profits? Someone has to go thought an unfolded pile of jeans at Macy's? A waitress has to do the dishes at some small chain restaurant?

Sad whats happening to the youth of America.
The ole "I'll work harder when you pay me more" rather than working harder to EARN more pay.
And now we have extortion for better pay. Even Gen Xers make these clowns look bad.

Ya, because our grandparents certainly never sought decent pay or anything like that (rolls eyes)

The bottom line: Is the greeter at Walmart or the person that asks do you want fries with that actually worth $15 an hour? The logical answer to that is no. Demonstrate some skill and I will pay you what your are worth.

Forum List

Back