Father/Daughter Shot Dead; Wounded Mom Shepherds Kids to Safety

MENASHA, Wis. -- The Stoffel family set out on a bike ride on a beautiful spring evening, the young Wisconsin couple and their three children pedaling across a bridge they had ridden before. They were halfway across the Little Lake Butte des Morts when a gunman, apparently upset over a fight with his ex-fiancee, opened fire.

By the time the gunman shot himself, Jonathan Stoffel, 33, of Neenah, and his 11-year-old daughter, Olivia Stoffel, were dead in what police called a random attack. Stoffel's wife, Erin Stoffel, 32, was struck three times but survived, guiding her other two children, ages 5 and 7, off the bridge and sending the older one for help.

Another man, Adam Bentdahl, 31, of Appleton, was also killed in the attack Sunday in Menasha, a community of around 17,000 about 30 miles south of Green Bay.

Erin Stoffel was rushed into surgery at a nearby hospital and was in critical condition Monday. She is expected to recover, reports CBS affiliate WDJT.
For my mandatory USMB position-taking I'll just cite this from the same article:

Campbell, Erin Stoffel's brother, said people should stop praying about an end for gun violence and take action.

"Instead of praying, do something. Do something about guns," he said. "When you kill, you can't take it back. Nobody needs a gun."

Story link
Nobody needs a gun? Good luck with that. If someone wants to kill you bad enough they can. He could have ran people over or set off a bomb. You can't stop crazy.

True but that's not what a gun maniac is after. They're not "out to kill you" --they're after carnage. All that sensory feedback they got all their lives out of toys and comic books and video games and TV and movies. That's what a gun delivers, and that's what they're after.

MENASHA, Wis. -- The Stoffel family set out on a bike ride on a beautiful spring evening, the young Wisconsin couple and their three children pedaling across a bridge they had ridden before. They were halfway across the Little Lake Butte des Morts when a gunman, apparently upset over a fight with his ex-fiancee, opened fire.

By the time the gunman shot himself, Jonathan Stoffel, 33, of Neenah, and his 11-year-old daughter, Olivia Stoffel, were dead in what police called a random attack. Stoffel's wife, Erin Stoffel, 32, was struck three times but survived, guiding her other two children, ages 5 and 7, off the bridge and sending the older one for help.

Another man, Adam Bentdahl, 31, of Appleton, was also killed in the attack Sunday in Menasha, a community of around 17,000 about 30 miles south of Green Bay.

Erin Stoffel was rushed into surgery at a nearby hospital and was in critical condition Monday. She is expected to recover, reports CBS affiliate WDJT.
For my mandatory USMB position-taking I'll just cite this from the same article:

Campbell, Erin Stoffel's brother, said people should stop praying about an end for gun violence and take action.

"Instead of praying, do something. Do something about guns," he said. "When you kill, you can't take it back. Nobody needs a gun."

Story link
Nobody needs a gun? Good luck with that. If someone wants to kill you bad enough they can. He could have ran people over or set off a bomb. You can't stop crazy.

True but that's not what a gun maniac is after. They're not "out to kill you" --they're after carnage. All that sensory feedback they got all their lives out of toys and comic books and video games and TV and movies. That's what a gun delivers, and that's what they're after.
We aren't going to ban guns. How do you think we can stop these things from happening? I think we need to stop breeding so much. Bet this killer didn't have good parents. Why does everyone and anyone have kids. We need to stop breeding so much and not just for this reason.

Nothing better than watching my bro and sis in law raise 2 good kids. I chose not to have any. Not everyone should be a parent.

Story link

We aren't going to ban guns. How do you think we can stop these things from happening? I think we need to stop breeding so much. Bet this killer didn't have good parents. Why does everyone and anyone have kids. We need to stop breeding so much and not just for this reason.

Nothing better than watching my bro and sis in law raise 2 good kids. I chose not to have any. Not everyone should be a parent.

Gotta change this culture. It's the only way. A long and arduous process but it's long overdue and it's gotta be did. Get the hell rid of this sick "might makes right" macho bullshit death-culture mentality and start having some respect for life, each other, and the planet we live on.

We'll still have guns and we'll still have abuse of them, but it doesn't have to be this level of epidemic.

I carry a weapon for self-protection. I don't go into a psychopathic rant and list inventory.

So does Ernie, so do I...either we're all crazy, or none of us are.

Besides, how smart is it to list your arsenal on-line when there might be cops among us? Crazy.

The government knows what I have...I buy and sell everything through licensed FFLs.

My "arsenal" is a bunch of hunting rifles and shotguns. I have ONE non-rimfire, non-single-shot pistol. Seven shotguns, each set up for something different, from a scoped bolt-action 12 gauge turkey gun, to an over-under 410/22LR for squirrels and rabbits. Both of which I've posted about here.

12 Gauge and 50 cal muzzleloader
New project. US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

410/22LR
Chiappa Double Badger .22lr .410 O O US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Single shot pistol
The Rossi Trifecta Your Best Bug Out Buddy US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

17HMR single shot
.17 HMR H R Handi-rifle US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Modified 12 gauge single shot
Knock-around gun... US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Another Pardner 12 gauge converted to black powder.
What do the left consider the greatest threat to America US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

9mm, 22lr double action revolver and 22lr single action revolver. (the Ruger was a 22lr semi-auto, but it's gone now)
Home security US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

And a scary black AR-15 I've mentioned owning at least 1000 times.

What are we up to? 11...I also have a 30/30 single shot deer rifle.

There you go, an even dozen that the NSA has unfettered access to...a terrifying "arsenal".

Very impressive arsenal. Are you expecting a war? Are you expecting a home invasion by federal the government?

I don't even have one.

Dude, are you looking at what I'm looking at?

Let me give you the rundown for you as a non-firearm owner, and I'll use small words so even Pogo can understand ( :p ).

1) Bolt action 12 gauge...this is a three shot shotgun modified with an extra full choke and a scope. Ordinarily a smoothbore shotgun is a point and shoot firearm, buy this one is especially convenient for use as a turkey gun, fired in the prone position. It does not excel in any other usage.

2) 50 cal black powder rifle for black powder deer season. Single shot, manual muzzleloader.

3) Chiappa 410/22lr over/under combination...one shot per barrel...best short range small game firearm on the market.

4) Single shot convertible 410/45lc with 22lr barrel...outstanding for pistol season, carried as a snake charmer/small game gun for hiking camping or during another season when a higher caliber rifle is necessary.

5) 17hmr single shot...long range rimfire small varmint and small game rifle.

6) 12 gauge single shot...truck gun, throw it in the truck, the canoe, the 4 wheeler. if you break it, scuff it, it goes overboard...you're out $60.

7) 12 gauge single shot black powder...it's just enjoyable to hunt like my grandad did...he had a Belgian Twist double barrel black powder shotgun. If he came home home empty handed, his family was going to bed hungry.

8) 9mm semi auto, 8+1...my CCW gun...I've had this one for 20 years...it's an imported Israeli police service pistol. You can barely find them anymore.

9) 22lr double action. Plinker. Occasional CCW in warm weather...it's small.

10) Convertible 22lr/22wmr single action revolver. Pack gun/trail gun, small game pistol.

11) AR-15...first gun I bought when I got out of the Army, for obvious reasons. Super accurate varmint gun, home defense. Low recoil, so the wife likes to take it to the range and shoot medium distance.

12) 30/30 single shot...deer rifle.

Most novice gun folks and non-gun folks are under the impression that one gun can do it all, but that's definitely not the case.

I've got a few more shotguns than I absolutely need, and one of the 22LRs could go...but this isn't even the minimum necessary to have a well rounded hunting battery.

As you can tell, I am partial to single shots...most hunters would have bolt actions instead.

I haven't listed a varmint rifle, like a 243win, 22-250 or bolt action 223rem. Nor is there a upland bird and waterfowl pump action shotgun, a large game rifle like a 30-06sprg, a .45-70govt or 7mm mag, or a semi-auto or double barrel shotgun for skeet shooting.

Last edited:
I carry a weapon for self-protection. I don't go into a psychopathic rant and list inventory.

Besides, how smart is it to list your arsenal on-line when there might be cops among us? Crazy.

The government knows what I have...I buy and sell everything through licensed FFLs.

My "arsenal" is a bunch of hunting rifles and shotguns. I have ONE non-rimfire, non-single-shot pistol. Seven shotguns, each set up for something different, from a scoped bolt-action 12 gauge turkey gun, to an over-under 410/22LR for squirrels and rabbits. Both of which I've posted about here.

410/22LR
Chiappa Double Badger .22lr .410 O O US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Single shot pistol
The Rossi Trifecta Your Best Bug Out Buddy US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

17HMR single shot

What do the left consider the greatest threat to America US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

9mm, 22lr double action revolver and 22lr single action revolver. (the Ruger was a 22lr semi-auto, but it's gone now)

There you go, an even dozen that the NSA has unfettered access to...a terrifying "arsenal".

Very impressive arsenal. Are you expecting a war? Are you expecting a home invasion by federal the government?

I don't even have one.

Ya gotta learn to live in paranoia.

Ain't it interesting how quickly a story about a depraved killer mowing down half a family and a bystander turned into a flamefest on my dick's bigger than yours gun comparisons... only in Amurrika.

Hell Pogo, your hoplophobic fear of single shot hunting arms is taking years off your life. Treatment is only a phone call away.

Gotta change this culture. It's the only way. A long and arduous process but it's long overdue and it's gotta be did. Get the hell rid of this sick "might makes right" macho bullshit death-culture mentality and start having some respect for life, each other, and the planet we live on.

We'll still have guns and we'll still have abuse of them, but it doesn't have to be this level of epidemic.

With the sole argument of the disparaging dick comment...you're pissing up a rope Pogo.

With the sole argument of the disparaging dick comment...you're pissing up a rope Pogo.

I don't know what either of these last two posts mean.
How do you piss up a rope? Must look kinda weird.

That may be the dumbest, most hypocritical thing you've ever posted...and that's really saying something.

You didn't think that all the way through before you hit reply did you.

'I own a dozen or so. As a matter of fact, there is a .40 with 11 hallow points in my waist band right now'.

The above statement defines crazy.
No, the statement defines a prepared, vigilant man who frequently carries a large amount of cash and runs a business where people sometimes get to be such good customers that they act like Liberals stupid.

That may be the dumbest, most hypocritical thing you've ever posted...and that's really saying something.

You didn't think that all the way through before you hit reply did you.

'I own a dozen or so. As a matter of fact, there is a .40 with 11 hallow points in my waist band right now'.

The above statement defines crazy.

Really? To whom? He was stating what his carry gun is. He wasn't threatening ANYONE. Much less you.

I carry a weapon for self-protection. I don't go into a psychopathic rant and list inventory. Besides, how smart is it to list your arsenal on-line when there might be cops among us? Crazy.
I don't care if cops know I have weapons. I'm not a felon and I hold a CCP. None of my firearms are illegal

410/22LR

Single shot pistol

17HMR single shot

I don't brag about it.
I don't brag. I state facts. You should try it some time.

westwall

I'd never seen that NYC handgun permit before. Three to eight months wait just to get a permit to go buy a handgun? And I thought California was bad.

Oh yes. And, to make it worse the criteria for who was allowed to get the permits were exceptionally biased. If you were a wealthy businessman who gave money to the Democrat party you were good to go. On the other hand if you were just a normal businessman with a bodega in Queens, good luck.

410/22LR

Single shot pistol

17HMR single shot

I don't even have one.

Hell, that's nothing. I know people with hundreds of weapons in their collections.

Here's a nice collection of machineguns for instance.

BruceSternGunVaultA.jpg

I don't brag about it.

Yet, you were the first one to mention being armed in this thead.

I missed the post the first time thru...Westwall has you pegged. I've had a CCW for 5 years. My permit good in 28 states. Cities don't issue CCWs and generally, you only get a CCW permit issued from the state in which you reside.

A shame.

Was I the first? Are you sure about that?

Westfail wrote: 'There is no such thing as a "city" permit' which I answered.

I live above Incline Village which is about 15 miles from Reno Nevada. You claimed to be in San Diego So, yet again you lie. Not that I think you live in New York either. New York and a couple of other cities have licenses to PURCHASE a weapon. Once you have the weapon though, the CCW is a STATE permit. If you weren't a lying POS you would know that.

I have properties in California, Nevada, NYC, and Miami.

You stated: 'There is no such thing as a "city" permit.', so your wrong.

No, the statement defines a prepared, vigilant man who frequently carries a large amount of cash and runs a business where people sometimes get to be such good customers that they act like Liberals stupid.

Ever hear of Brinks?

Forum List

Back