FDR & Obama: Two Peas in a Pod?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
1. Both blamed their poor economic performances on their predecessors. As President-elect, FDR refused to even meet with Hoover to discuss the country's problems. Sound familiar? As a result, a Constitutional Amendment was passed to move up the inauguration date by three months.

2. Both were reelected by withholding important information from the voters. FDR was seriously ill and died six months after the 1944 election. Obama was seriously negligent and covered up the assassination of our Ambassador just before the 2012 election.

3. Both were foreign policy amateurs who created enormous problems for their successors. FDR was suckered by Stalin, just as Obama has been suckered by Putin/Assad.

Any others?

So are you suggesting that Obama will be rated by historians as one of the two greatest American presidents? Obama may be good but I doubt if historians will rate equal to FDR, maybe number two, but who knows?

So are you suggesting that Obama will be rated by historians as one of the two greatest American presidents? Obama may be good but I doubt if historians will rate equal to FDR, maybe number two, but who knows?

Obama's nowhere near the top. But I can't stand FDR bashers. So here's a rep

Ever try thinking for yourself?

Bill Kristol praised FDR and soc sec in an attempt to say how Obama failed to properly pass social legislation. Obamacare has driven them out of their minds.

I assume you rate American presidents according to how many combat deaths were accrued during their terms. As for Obama, I would rate him the same as Carter for competence and Clinton for integrity. Nice combination.

Oh fer...they are not even in the same field.
You cam agree or disagree with FDR's policies, but no one would argue with the fact that the man was a LEADER. He took charge, he made things happen.
Obama is a sophomore at best. He couldn't tie FDR's shoes.

Despite his dismal economic record prior to WW2, I will give kudos to FDR for his positive attitude (especially when compared with our current fear monger). However, his naivete regarding Stalin's intentions sentenced half of Europe to 50 years of communist slavery.

Despite his dismal economic record prior to WW2, I will give kudos to FDR for his positive attitude (especially when compared with our current fear monger). However, his naivete regarding Stalin's intentions sentenced half of Europe to 50 years of communist slavery.

He was not naive about Stalin. America wanted WWII to end....he wasn't about to go to another decade long war with Russia.
Just try and imagine Obama navigating WWII....oh my God.

I assume you rate American presidents according to how many combat deaths were accrued during their terms. As for Obama, I would rate him the same as Carter for competence and Clinton for integrity. Nice combination.

Actually the historians are better at rating presidents than I am so I generally defer to them, particularly the historians noted for their expertise in presidents.
Perhaps your question about combat deaths refers to a larger question, do the presidents make the times or do the times make the president? Would FDR be rated as our greatest president if there had been no Great Depression or WWII during his terms? Still some wars have hurt presidents, perhaps Madison, Polk, Bush Johnson come to mind.

Actually the historians are better at rating presidents than I am so I generally defer to them, particularly the historians noted for their expertise in presidents.
Perhaps your question about combat deaths refers to a larger question, do the presidents make the times or do the times make the president? Would FDR be rated as our greatest president if there had been no Great Depression or WWII during his terms? Still some wars have hurt presidents, perhaps Madison, Polk, Bush Johnson come to mind.

Oh brother...here you go again with your love of statists historians.

Many NON-STATIST historians have been very critical of FDR and based their criticisms on facts. Why have you chosen to ignore them? Do facts mean little to you?

FDR was one of America's greatest Presidents.

He defeated a batshit crazy homicidal maniac in Germany and thwarted the Japanese Empire in Asia.

He created, for the FIRST time, a middle class in the United States, where there was none before.

He also rescued the US economy from robber barons and complete collapse.

There's no better modern President to be compared too.

Damn......we can only hope that Obama turns out as good as FDR

As the sun rises and a new day dawns let us give thanks to the one who makes it all possible.

All hail Obama....

Geeez!

Last edited:
it's hard to tell whether right wingnuts are just uneducated or just plain stupid? Or are they the puppets of business? Latter makes a strong case.

Read the history at link below.

The conservative Supreme Court strikes down federal child labor legislation.

President Warren Harding dies in office; his administration was easily one of the most corrupt in American history. Calvin Coolidge, who is squeaky clean by comparison, becomes president. Coolidge is no less committed to laissez-faire and a non-interventionist government. He announces to the American people: "The business of America is business."
Supreme Court nullifies minimum wage for women in District of Columbia.

The Ku Klux Klan reaches the height of its influence in America: by the end of the year it will claim 9 million members. It will decline drastically in 1925, however, after financial and moral scandals rock its leadership.
The stock market begins its spectacular rise. Bears little relation to the rest of the economy.

The top tax rate is lowered to 25 percent - the lowest top rate in the eight decades since World War I.
Supreme Court rules that trade organizations do not violate anti-trust laws as long as some competition survives.

The construction boom is over.
Farmers' share of the national income has dropped from 15 to 9 percent since 1920.
Between May 1928 and September 1929, the average prices of stocks will rise 40 percent. Trading will mushroom from 2-3 million shares per day to over 5 million. The boom is largely artificial.

Herbert Hoover becomes President. Hoover is a staunch individualist but not as committed to laissez-faire ideology as Coolidge.
More than half of all Americans are living below a minimum subsistence level.
Annual per-capita income is $750; for farm people, it is only $273.
Backlog of business inventories grows three times larger than the year before. Public consumption markedly down.
Freight carloads and manufacturing fall.
Automobile sales decline by a third in the nine months before the crash.
Construction down $2 billion since 1926.
Recession begins in August, two months before the stock market crash. During this two month period, production will decline at an annual rate of 20 percent, wholesale prices at 7.5 percent, and personal income at 5 percent.
Stock market crash begins October 24. Investors call October 29 "Black Tuesday." Losses for the month will total $16 billion, an astronomical sum in those days.
Congress passes Agricultural Marketing Act to support farmers until they can get back on their feet."

Read rest here: Timeline of the Great Depression

Where Keynes Went Wrong - Page 2

"Historian Phillips-Fein traces the hidden history of the Reagan revolution to a coterie of business executives, including General Electric official and Reagan mentor Lemuel Boulware, who saw labor unions, government regulation, high taxes and welfare spending as dire threats to their profits and power. From the 1930s onward, the author argues, they provided the money, organization and fervor for a decades-long war against New Deal liberalism—funding campaigns, think tanks, magazines and lobbying groups, and indoctrinating employees in the virtues of unfettered capitalism." [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Hands-Making-Conservative-Movement/dp/0393059308/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247845984&sr=1-1]Invisible Hands: The Making of the Conservative Movement from the New Deal to Reagan: Kim Phillips-Fein: 9780393059304: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Summary
Timeline of the Great Depression
The Great Depression, to 1935
The Main Causes of the Great Depression
Stiff upper lip.

Only a simpleton would believe most, if not all, our problems today stem from the actions of Republican presidents. Presidents of both parties are responsible.

The warfare/welfare imperialist government we have long endured is responsible and it is run by statists, with a strong progressive streak.

Only a simpleton would believe most, if not all, our problems today stem from the actions of Republican presidents. Presidents of both parties are responsible.

The warfare/welfare imperialist government we have long endured is responsible and it is run by statists, with a strong progressive streak.

It may be that damn progressive streak. Many people just don't want to sit forever in the past, they learn new things, create new inventions, discover new ways of doing things and some even believe we, the people, own the government and that government can be used to help people, not feared.

It may be that damn progressive streak. Many people just don't want to sit forever in the past, they learn new things, create new inventions, discover new ways of doing things and some even believe we, the people, own the government and that government can be used to help people, not feared.

Yeah...government HELPS people. That really applies to our government today. :lol:

Forum List

Back