Federal regulators say Amazon can be held responsible for products sold on its platform

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

Federal regulators have determined that Amazon can be held responsible for defective goods sold by third-party merchants on its online marketplace, rejecting the company’s position that it’s merely an intermediary between consumers and sellers.

In a landmark order released Tuesday, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said the agency unanimously agreed Amazon “fits squarely” within the definition of a distributor of goods, “and therefore bears legal responsibility for their recall.”

As part of the agency’s decision, Amazon is required to develop a plan to notify purchasers and the public about the product hazards, as well as offer shoppers refunds or replacements for the affected products.

Amazon will appeal and I'm wondering if this will be the first test after Chevron was killed since it was regulators that made the decision but I would agree that Amazon is a distributor of goods.

Not that I have any good feelings for Amazon in that regard.....I hate it when a 3rd party wholesaler sends me something they got off Amazon as I try not to do business with them.

I am torn on this one. But I do not see how it hurts anyone but those trying to sell their wares on Amazon

Forum List

Back