Fedora Linux

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
I've used Linux Mint for years but lately I decided I really like the Gnome 3 shell. So not that long ago I switched over to Ubuntu (my first Linux love) but over the last week started having freezing problems. I would have to do a hard shutdown then reboot. Instead of combing through all the extensions and load testing the NVIDIA I ordered a MSI Radeon RX 580 (new for under $150).
I had in the past tried Fedora but there were some minor aspects of it I didn't like back then even though I liked the distro as a whole. This time I downloaded and set up the Fedora Media Writer on a flash drive and loaded it on my Linux machine. Currently it's purring along like a kitten and the Radeon just arrived and was installed in place of the NVIDIA card. Didn't have to install drivers as the Radeon drivers come preloaded on Fedora.
The NVIDIA card is a GTX 770 which is a great budget GPU but the Radeon runs about 30% faster especially with an AMD processor.
BTW Valve is releasing SteamOS 3.0 soon but for now only on non Steam handhelds. Hopefully they'll eventually make versions for PCs. In the meantime Linux gaming is getting bigger as is the Linux market share. Not a huge jump but an increase that may be tied to Win 10's end of life and Microsoft commercializing almost every aspect of their OS.

I originally use Red Hat Linux, for many of the business needs our organization needed: Firewall, faxing capabilities, email capabilities and file storage. Then I moved to Ubuntu for more personal use, and enjoyed the UI aspects, as well as being able to do the lower level actions within the operating system.

Don't use it much now, and had a great experience learning and using Linux in a business and personal setting.

I originally use Red Hat Linux, for many of the business needs our organization needed: Firewall, faxing capabilities, email capabilities and file storage. Then I moved to Ubuntu for more personal use, and enjoyed the UI aspects, as well as being able to do the lower level actions within the operating system.

Don't use it much now, and had a great experience learning and using Linux in a business and personal setting.
Fedora has become much more user friendly, not as much as Ubuntu and Linux Mint but close. Installing RPM Fusion takes care of all potential codec problems not to mention Fedora now uses Flatpak. My issue with the current version of Mint is it doesn't play well with bluetooth. At least not on my machine and I have a few bluetooth accessories.

Forum List

Back