Finally! A Privately Owned Express Rail Miami to Orlando

You would still have to get transportation to and from airport and Disney even with the public financed train.

My hubby drives from Miami to West Palm almost daily- it takes from 2-3 hours, depending on how bad the traffic is. To get to Orlando from West Palm is another 2 hours.

Methinks hubby is making a few 'stops' along the way. :eusa_shhh:
He must. I can drive that in 1 1/2 easily.

Just for the fun of it I plotted in driving from Miami Airport (which is where the train is going to leave from) to Disney, figuring that would be the route most people would take the train for...3 hours 29 minutes.

The train would take three hours from Miami Airport to Orlando Airport and then a car ride to Disney would take another 21 minutes. So you'd "save" a whopping 8 minutes using the train. Except for all the time wasted driving to MIA, getting a taxi or renting a car in Orlando.

Damn, like I didn't need another reason to vote against our toad governor this year.

It's about 230 miles. In my Honda CRV, that's about $35 in gas. One way.

How much will the train cost, one way? I'm guessing at least $75. Plus rental car, $40-$80 per day. Plus gas for the rental.

Methinks hubby is making a few 'stops' along the way. :eusa_shhh:
He must. I can drive that in 1 1/2 easily.

Just for the fun of it I plotted in driving from Miami Airport (which is where the train is going to leave from) to Disney, figuring that would be the route most people would take the train for...3 hours 29 minutes.

The train would take three hours from Miami Airport to Orlando Airport and then a car ride to Disney would take another 21 minutes. So you'd "save" a whopping 8 minutes using the train. Except for all the time wasted driving to MIA, getting a taxi or renting a car in Orlando.

Damn, like I didn't need another reason to vote against our toad governor this year.

It's about 230 miles. In my Honda CRV, that's about $35 in gas. One way.

How much will the train cost, one way? I'm guessing at least $75. Plus rental car, $40-$80 per day. Plus gas for the rental.

I think how much they plan on charging is top secret at this point.

I do not believe that rail is viable in Florida unless it is an AutoTrain. People do not want the hassle and expense of renting cars.
Or a bullet train. This "private" one only goes 80 mph. The original one that the feds were going to pay for went 186 mph.
and costs even those not using it.
And the speed of the train is not correct, only for the Miami to West Palm segment. Here is the actual mph
79 Miami to West Palm
110 West Palm to Cocoa
125 Cocoa to Orlando

If they are going to Cocoa, then this makes more sense for the Cocoa-Orlando leg than the Miami-Cocoa leg.

Orlando residents and vacationers can take day trips to the beach (I anticipate many start-up shuttle services from Cocoa to Cocoa Beach, about 7 miles).

Conversely, if it is going to Orlando International Airport, that could make it much easier for Brevard County (beaches) residents to catch a cheap flight from Orlando rather than expensive Melbourne Airport without having to impose on a friend or family member to drive you to Orlando. They just have to drive you to Cocoa instead. :lol:

If they were going to Melbourne (US192) instead of Cocoa (FL528), it would be a bigger boon to Disney. If it first goes to Cocoa, then Orlando Airport, then you have to shuttle over to Disney...that may be too much hassle.

Last edited:
More power to them if they can pull it off.
It seems like a fine idea and I would like to see them succeed but I have my doubts.
The less government has to be involved the better their chances of success.

I do not believe that rail is viable in Florida unless it is an AutoTrain. People do not want the hassle and expense of renting cars.
Or a bullet train. This "private" one only goes 80 mph. The original one that the feds were going to pay for went 186 mph.
And the speed of the train is not correct, only for the Miami to West Palm segment. Here is the actual mph
79 Miami to West Palm
110 West Palm to Cocoa
125 Cocoa to Orlando

I'll never use it and it's going to cost me. And everyone in the country, apparently.

All Aboard Florida

This is awesome. So much better than the billions this would have cost the state. Totally privately owned express rail service from Miami to Orlando, with stops in between.

Could not do this in a deep blue state. Too much government regulation. This is a strong case for the capitalist model.

Mapquest, Orlando Airport to Miami Airport: FL-91 S 225.73 miles
3 hrs 24 mins

They clearly aren't using the Long Skinny Parking Lot that is I-4.
Correct. You wouldn't need to get on I4 to travel between Miami's airport and Orlando's airport.

I was really just being snarky about how fun getting from one side of Orlando to the other is.

I really should get a t-shirt that says "I drove 436 at rush hour and survived" or something.

They clearly aren't using the Long Skinny Parking Lot that is I-4.
Correct. You wouldn't need to get on I4 to travel between Miami's airport and Orlando's airport.

I was really just being snarky about how fun getting from one side of Orlando to the other is.

I really should get a t-shirt that says "I drove 436 at rush hour and survived" or something.
I remember around 1986 sitting on 436 near Castleberry for six light changes before being able to get through. Worst traffic in Florida.

All Aboard Florida

This is awesome. So much better than the billions this would have cost the state. Totally privately owned express rail service from Miami to Orlando, with stops in between.

While I support the effort, I'm not sure the ridership will be there. The Florida East Coast Railroad already owns the tracks and expects to derive a great benefit from rising real estate prices surrounding the stations. The only real target market for this is someone who doesn't have a car and wants to get to Disney and other attractions, so basically cruise passengers that want to spend a few days at Disney et al. I don't think there is a lot of business commuting between South Florida and Orlando that would switch from air or auto, but I could be wrong.

Back in the 90's this route was attempted by a start-up called the Florida Fun Train. I knew some of the investors in that effort and they were also trying to tap the market for tourists interested in going from Miami to Orlando. Let's just say it didn't end well...
ft-consist.jpg

Florida Fun Train: History

However, I will applaud any effort with the potential to take three million tourists who don't know where they are going off the highways in South Florida!

However, I will applaud any effort with the potential to take three million tourists who don't know where they are going off the highways in South Florida!
Good point. Flushing them down the toilet while ripping them off is pretty much a win/wiin.

79 Miami to West Palm
110 West Palm to Cocoa
125 Cocoa to Orlando

I'll never use it and it's going to cost me. And everyone in the country, apparently.
Nothing compared to the bullet train... even if they ever were to default, let's see, estimated costs to tax payers a few years ago, over $25 billion, plus almost $2 billion a year to maintain, all on the us, the tax payer or a $1.6 billion loan that might default later. Think I will take the $1.6 billion loan that might not default any day of the week.
It will bring jobs with its construction as well as jobs to run and hopefully increase state gdp from tourists spending more while here.

Can't believe no one finds this to be great news like I do. Private enterprise at its best!
The estimated cost to tax payers, if we had gone with the the super rail, all tax payer money-federal and state, would have been $5.3 billion.

Of course it is fantastic news...It sticks a pencil in the eye of the "government in my God" types

How is it an express if it makes stops and takes as long to get from Miami to Orlando as your car does.

As for not costing the state billions, you aren't too bright.

All Aboard Florida already has applied for $1.6 billion in federal loans, and plans to rent space at a new terminal at the Orlando International Airport for which state lawmakers recently appropriated $213 million.

That’s just the beginning. According to the Scripps/Tribune Capitol Bureau, the company also wants the state to pay $44 million to connect its lines with Tri-Rail, the daily commuter link serving South Florida.

All Aboard a train-wreck for Florida taxpayers | StAugustine.com

LOANS, genius.....Loans have to BE PAID BACK.....
Jesis Christ you libs are stupid.

Forum List

Back