🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

First Female To Attempt Special Forces Selection Washes Out In Less Than 2 Weeks

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
It takes a special individual to make it through Green Beret Selection, much less make it through the Special Forces Qualification Course known as "The 'Q'Course". The first female to try it discovered this in the first half of selection phase training.

First female soldier to try the Green Berets washes out on physical | Journal of Contemporary Christian History

Having gone through it myself, I can attest that it's not for just anyone. Even a bad ass can be humbled when they discover the rigors required to just be selected, much less pass the entire course that is needed to earn a Special Forces Tab, and earn the honor of wearing a Green Beret.

She says she gonna try again....but the land navigation portion she either quit or washed out of was the easy portion of selection. The hard part comes later after the 12 mile road march ends the first half of selection. Then it becomes really tough.

It takes a special individual to make it through Green Beret Selection, much less make it through the Special Forces Qualification Course known as "The 'Q'Course". The first female to try it discovered this in the first half of selection phase training.

First female soldier to try the Green Berets washes out on physical | Journal of Contemporary Christian History

Having gone through it myself, I can attest that it's not for just anyone. Even a bad ass can be humbled when they discover the rigors required to just be selected, much less pass the entire course that is needed to earn a Special Forces Tab, and earn the honor of wearing a Green Beret.

She says she gonna try again....but the land navigation portion she either quit or washed out of was the easy portion of selection. The hard part comes later after the 12 mile road march ends the first half of selection. Then it becomes really tough.

If they can pass the same standards as the fellas, they can play with the fellas. If not, there are plenty of other combat specializations out there.

If they can pass the same standards as the fellas, they can play with the fellas. If not, there are plenty of other combat specializations out there.

It isn't as simple as that.....the prolonged training goes on beyond just becoming a Green Beret, Seal or Ranger, their yearly training schedule and combat operations are the most physcially taxing in the military.....25% of Navy Seals are on Disabilty pay after they leave the service because of the wear and tear on their bodies...women, cannot handle this physical demand over a 4-6 year term of enlistment...especially if you throw them into a war.....

It isn't as simple as that.....the prolonged training goes on beyond just becoming a Green Beret, Seal or Ranger, their yearly training schedule and combat operations are the most physcially taxing in the military.....25% of Navy Seals are on Disabilty pay after they leave the service because of the wear and tear on their bodies...women, cannot handle this physical demand over a 4-6 year term of enlistment...especially if you throw them into a war.....
No woman so far.

They tried pushing them through selection in the 80s when I went through, and after the first couple of land navigation interludes, they quit. Even most of the foreign men quit. One that did, from an unnamed ME country, went back to his host nation and they cut his head off. So after that, they just let foreign soldiers get on the truck and ride it out. Basically pencil-whipping them through.

Were you a green beret?

It's a sexist test.
Just a women being firemen, it's not a matter of sexism...it's who you would want to have your back> A young slender girl or a fit husky man?

ONLY IF the females can perform exactly as well as the males, should they be accepted in first responders.

If I am caught in a fire, I would rather be carried out by a person who could carry me than drag me through burning debris.

Sooner or later you will find one. Men that can complete this stuff are physical outliers, there probably are some women who can do it too, just less of them.

Were you a green beret?
Yes. Retired from 5th Group.

Sooner or later you will find one. Men that can complete this stuff are physical outliers, there probably are some women who can do it too, just less of them.
Possibly, but I discovered that strength alone won't get you through. Being able to handle pain, carry ungodly weights for extended periods, and ability to deal with extremely harsh weather while doing it. Oh, and you have to be intelligent and handle stressful situations.

I agree. The training for those men is brutal and women just don't have the physical strength that a man does.

My hats off to those who try but it will take one balls to the wall woman to succeed.

Were you a green beret?
Yes. Retired from 5th Group.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE! IT'S MEN AND WOMEN LIKE YOU THAT HAVE MADE THIS COUNTRY FREE AND THE MOST DESIRABLE PLACE TO LIVE. Thank you for interjecting your experience on the matter. :beer:

I will tip my hat to anyone male or female that tries to do that its some serious shit you have to go through.

Possibly, but I discovered that strength alone won't get you through. Being able to handle pain, carry ungodly weights for extended periods, and ability to deal with extremely harsh weather while doing it. Oh, and you have to be intelligent and handle stressful situations.

Sir.....my deepest respect for what you were able to do. Thank you for your service.....:clap::clap::clap::clap: You achieved what most could not...and thank you for putting your abilities to service of this country.......

Sir.....my deepest respect for what you were able to do. Thank you for your service.....:clap::clap::clap::clap: You achieved what most could not...and thank you for putting your abilities to service of this country.......
I have pics of some of the selection course and my time in Somalia in 93' on my profile page I believe. I'll have to check if it's still there.

I would think the strength is one of the biggest issues with the test. Women handle Childbirth and I have to imagine that is painful. You may also have a point about stamina (which relates to strength).

I have pics of some of the selection course and my time in Somalia in 93' on my profile page I believe. I'll have to check if it's still there.
I was encouraged to apply for SF training in the VN days. I never did because I knew I'd wash out physically and emotionally.
Served two tours in the Marines.
Sau Valley and An Loc and others.
I watched an ancient VC grandma rush our position with a RPK. Mouth full of gold. She was cut in half. She was still trying to pull the trigger as she lay bleeding out.
THAT was a defining moment in my young life.
My deepest respect for you and your service.

I would think the strength is one of the biggest issues with the test. Women handle Childbirth and I have to imagine that is painful. You may also have a point about stamina (which relates to strength).
Pushing out a kid is tough.
I can't compare that to anything.

All I know is for over a year, I didn't know if I could make it. Every day was tougher than the last. Of the 280 that started with me, 120 finished. Even then, 20 of them weren't selected. That was just to see if you had what took to take the Q course. I got my Beret August of 90. They had a dining in that day for us. Made us do a bunch of silly shit. Made us toast to a bunch of stuff with watered down wine for 4 hours and wouldn't let us take a leak. Just the usual initiation bs.

Forum List

Back