First Openly Gay Football Player

Who really gives a shit as to what he does in his private time? He's being looked at because of how he plays football, not who he prefers for sex.

If running out naked and having sex were the prerequisites for his being hired, then yeah........in a heterosexual world, his sexuality might come into play.

However.....................the job he wants is for playing football. That means putting on a uniform, and going out and seeing how hard you can hit the other players so that you can get control of the football.

Sexuality has damn little to do with it.

And..................considering he was voted the BEST in his conference, I see no reason why he should be passed over. If the GM's want to be stupid and let another team sign him, I hope that every team who passes him over loses to whatever team signs him. The kid is good, lots of people have said so.

And his stats reflect how good he is as well. Watching some footage of him, I thought he was a big stomping badass. Never once did it occur to me to question his sexuality.

And now that I know? Still don't care who he loves, I just hope he does good in the NFL.

If the press makes it an issue, then it is an issue and a distraction. Tebow being a Christian had nothing to do with football, until the press made it an issue and it became a distraction. Bullying in the NFL is common, it happens and it has been fine, until Incognito and Martin, then it became a distraction, one left, one got cut.

I don't care about anyone's sex life and no one in sports does, unless it becomes a distraction, many gays in the NFL, but it is kept quiet and it is no big deal. Now...with this player, it is a big deal. It is now about something, other than the game.

Business is business.

Well, considering that the press would probably make it a big deal if he didn't come out of the closet, I mean..................his whole team knew he was gay, and some sleaze ball journalist (hoping to improve circulation) would have probably outed him if he didn't out himself.

All he did was get the issue out of the way. How much bigger do you think the story would have been had he been picked in the first few rounds, and then later someone published a story saying he's gay?

Any reasonable person would say that him exposing his sexuality before being drafted (and exposed by the media) is a good thing, because then he has control of the story, and can therefore minimize the scandal (if it is one).

And take a look at my FIRST POST in all of this where I posted a straight college player was having a news conference to say he was coming out as straight.
And I also have pointed out MEDIA in all of this.
NO doubt this story has taken off like wild fire but Sam had NOTHING to do with that.
That is media and they even tell HIGH SCHOOL players these days "be careful, very careful what you say to people that buy ink in rail road tankers".
MEDIA has blown this up, gay people do not want publicity for being gay. That claim is as dumb as they come.

Gdawg got a hard on for this dude or what? Lol

When I played a long time ago Gramps there were closet gay players on the team.
And a lot of us felt sorry for them as they had to hide who they were.
Because of sick bastards that would persecute them at every opportunity.
As hard as you want to make this about me because you have no other valid argument it is not about me.
It is about someone telling the truth and you judging him for it.

The NFL is investigating bullying in the locker room.

And we will soon have homo players.

So what's next?

Transgendered quarterbacks?? ... :cuckoo:

The NFL is investigating bullying in the locker room.

And we will soon have homo players.

So what's next?

Transgendered quarterbacks?? ... :cuckoo:

NFL already has top draft picks that beat up women, drug dealers, murderers, guys with kids with 7 different women and dozens the league has to garnish their wages for back child support, judgments and liens.
And you put "homos" below all of them.
NFL has gays now and always has.

Yanno..........................maybe a gay football player would be a wee bit better than those that beat up women, drug dealers, murderers, guys with kids with 7 different women and dozens the league has to garnish their wages for back child support, judgments and liens.

One dude a few years ago beat up and dragged a girl by the hair up 3 flights of stairs and plead guilty to it.
He was the 4th overall pick in the draft.

NFL already has top draft picks that beat up women, drug dealers, murderers, guys with kids with 7 different women and dozens the league has to garnish their wages for back child support, judgments and liens.
Nobody is saying that all NFL players are angels.

But now the league has decided to welcome open perverts.

Which are the lowest of the low.

What's next? NFL welcoming pedophiles?? ... :doubt:

"fag" "perversion"
And you deny you treat gays as 2nd class citizens.
I would have some respect for you if you just came out and said you hate them.
This ain't contracting my man, this is head on a swivel Not For Long League where the media will eat you up and the competition dreams about sending you to the emergency room. College is the same way now almost.
They do not wear leather helmets anymore Gramps.
I wish the kid luck but if he falls flat on his face I could care less. Between the lines there is only ONE criteria.

I treat everyone with equal respect. What I may think of someone is an entirely different story

Really? You treat everyone with respect?

Do you consider this post (made by you) about the player "respectful"?

This thread is a contributing factor to why I can't stand fags that make a big deal about this shit. This asshole is a football player but all anyone is talking about is his perversion. Will he get drafted high or low or at all BECAUSE of his statement for example.

After my next estimate should I inform the customer I like women? Will that insure me a better chance to secure the job?

This shit is so fucking dumb.

Is it really "respectful" to call someone a fag and an asshole?

Fag

Nobody is saying that all NFL players are angels.

But now the league has decided to welcome open perverts.

Which are the lowest of the low.

What's next? NFL welcoming pedophiles?? ... :doubt:

Which team will you be playing for?

Who really gives a shit as to what he does in his private time? He's being looked at because of how he plays football, not who he prefers for sex.

If running out naked and having sex were the prerequisites for his being hired, then yeah........in a heterosexual world, his sexuality might come into play.

However.....................the job he wants is for playing football. That means putting on a uniform, and going out and seeing how hard you can hit the other players so that you can get control of the football.

Sexuality has damn little to do with it.

And..................considering he was voted the BEST in his conference, I see no reason why he should be passed over. If the GM's want to be stupid and let another team sign him, I hope that every team who passes him over loses to whatever team signs him. The kid is good, lots of people have said so.

And his stats reflect how good he is as well. Watching some footage of him, I thought he was a big stomping badass. Never once did it occur to me to question his sexuality.

And now that I know? Still don't care who he loves, I just hope he does good in the NFL.

If the press makes it an issue, then it is an issue and a distraction. Tebow being a Christian had nothing to do with football, until the press made it an issue and it became a distraction. Bullying in the NFL is common, it happens and it has been fine, until Incognito and Martin, then it became a distraction, one left, one got cut.

I don't care about anyone's sex life and no one in sports does, unless it becomes a distraction, many gays in the NFL, but it is kept quiet and it is no big deal. Now...with this player, it is a big deal. It is now about something, other than the game.

Business is business.

Well, considering that the press would probably make it a big deal if he didn't come out of the closet, I mean..................his whole team knew he was gay, and some sleaze ball journalist (hoping to improve circulation) would have probably outed him if he didn't out himself.

All he did was get the issue out of the way. How much bigger do you think the story would have been had he been picked in the first few rounds, and then later someone published a story saying he's gay?

Any reasonable person would say that him exposing his sexuality before being drafted (and exposed by the media) is a good thing, because then he has control of the story, and can therefore minimize the scandal (if it is one).

Several gay players in the NFL, so it would probably be okay.

It may have been good for him, in some way, however his draft value went down and so will the pay.

Business is business.

It may have been good for him, in some way, however his draft value went down and so will the pay.

We do not know if all 32 teams devalued him because of him coming out but definitely some and most likely the majority.
The only given is it did not help his draft status.
Accordingly, anyone that claims he did it for publicity is a fool.

We do not know if all 32 teams devalued him because of him coming out but definitely some and most likely the majority.

I never claimed it was for publicity.

If the majority of teams devalued his draft status, then his value went down. That is pretty easy to figure. Bottom line, if you have several dozen players with pluses and minuses and all are similar in talent, like the middle rounds are full of, then people will take the player with the less distraction.

Most agree he went from a third rounder to fourth to sixth rounder, time will tell.

If the majority of teams devalued his draft status, then his value went down. That is pretty easy to figure. Bottom line, if you have several dozen players with pluses and minuses and all are similar in talent, like the middle rounds are full of, then people will take the player with the less distraction.

Most agree he went from a third rounder to fourth to sixth rounder, time will tell.

And I never claimed you did claim it was for publicity.
No, NFL takes who can help them the quickest at his position. Sam announcing he is gay is no where the distractions many players bring, some with 4 kids in tow right out of college. He has no where the baggage of many of these players and the baggage he did have he has dealt with.
And Sam is not a player no matter how good he was in college that can come in and start in a 3-4 for any pro team. His only experience is in a 4-3 in a very strict rotation scheme. I love that defense as you can mask a 50 look out of it but Sam has no experience at any other position and he is undersized. However, the strict rotation down and distance scheme he has played in is similar to what all 4-3 pro teams run. Sam plays left end and on the other end was Kony Ealy who will be drafted higher than Sam as the right end always has to face the offense's best offensive tackle. That is the blind side DE. Ealy drew a double team when in Athens this year all game. He has an excellent up field push. U heard it here so look for Ealy to go in the 1st round and probably in the top 15.
So on to the real evaluation on Sam
Top motor, smart kid, lots of quick
Sometimes has a hard time getting off the blocks and ala, what happens then? Held up DE on 4-3 scheme get cut blocked easily in NFL. So what happens then in NFL? Speed rushers like Sam do not achieve much as pro offensive lineman predict that speed rush and push the rusher wide and I did not see an effective bull rush out of Sam in his college career.
Sam does not have a NFL position that fits his style of college play. And what does that mean? Teams would gladly take him if he fit into a special teams role, remember this is 53 man roster-not college of 80+, and Sam is not athletic enough at his size to play special teams now.
But someone will give him his chance and I wish him luck but if he fails just another jock that The Turk visited in camp.

And I never claimed you did claim it was for publicity.
No, NFL takes who can help them the quickest at his position. Sam announcing he is gay is no where the distractions many players bring, some with 4 kids in tow right out of college. He has no where the baggage of many of these players and the baggage he did have he has dealt with.
And Sam is not a player no matter how good he was in college that can come in and start in a 3-4 for any pro team. His only experience is in a 4-3 in a very strict rotation scheme. I love that defense as you can mask a 50 look out of it but Sam has no experience at any other position and he is undersized. However, the strict rotation down and distance scheme he has played in is similar to what all 4-3 pro teams run. Sam plays left end and on the other end was Kony Ealy who will be drafted higher than Sam as the right end always has to face the offense's best offensive tackle. That is the blind side DE. Ealy drew a double team when in Athens this year all game. He has an excellent up field push. U heard it here so look for Ealy to go in the 1st round and probably in the top 15.
So on to the real evaluation on Sam
Top motor, smart kid, lots of quick
Sometimes has a hard time getting off the blocks and ala, what happens then? Held up DE on 4-3 scheme get cut blocked easily in NFL. So what happens then in NFL? Speed rushers like Sam do not achieve much as pro offensive lineman predict that speed rush and push the rusher wide and I did not see an effective bull rush out of Sam in his college career.
Sam does not have a NFL position that fits his style of college play. And what does that mean? Teams would gladly take him if he fit into a special teams role, remember this is 53 man roster-not college of 80+, and Sam is not athletic enough at his size to play special teams now.
But someone will give him his chance and I wish him luck but if he fails just another jock that The Turk visited in camp.

Again, if you have similar talented guys, you take one that isn't going to get coverage off the field. Incognito made himself unwelcomed on many teams. He has years left to play but may never play again.

However, I may be wrong, time will tell, he hurt his draft position, he isn't the first gay to play and he won't be the last.

Saw Sir Charles Barkley interviewed on this subject last night.
Barkley sums it up just like I did. Must see as this guy makes sense.
Terrible golfer though as I saw him over in Mobile last fall!

Gdawg got a hard on for this dude or what? Lol

When I played a long time ago Gramps there were closet gay players on the team.
And a lot of us felt sorry for them as they had to hide who they were.
Because of sick bastards that would persecute them at every opportunity.
As hard as you want to make this about me because you have no other valid argument it is not about me.
It is about someone telling the truth and you judging him for it.

When I was a cab driver in San Diego, I picked up numerous gay Chargers clear back in the early 80's. A lot of those guys are ga ga over each others muscles.

He fell all the way to the 7th round.

His announcement did hurt his value and it seems that only a team close to home was ready for him.

This kid will be drafted this year to play in the NFL. He is projected to be drafted in the mid rounds but could slide down in the draft due to if he can play LB or not, or if he's willing to play that position. He is an undersized DE, so teams will be looking to see if he can play other positions due to his size.

Michael Sam, a Missouri Tigers defensive end and NFL hopeful, says he is gay | FOX Sports on MSN

If he drops in the draft, please know its not about him being gay, it's because of being an undersized DE.

How do you get politics from gay and football?

Because I knew someone would say something like this.

His announcement did hurt his value and it seems that only a team close to home was ready for him.

Sam fell because teams don't think he has much upside, because he's undersized and he will only play as a situational DE. NOT BECAUSE HE'S GAY.

But he did get drafted by an NFL team.

This kid will be drafted this year to play in the NFL. He is projected to be drafted in the mid rounds but could slide down in the draft due to if he can play LB or not, or if he's willing to play that position. He is an undersized DE, so teams will be looking to see if he can play other positions due to his size.

Michael Sam, a Missouri Tigers defensive end and NFL hopeful, says he is gay | FOX Sports on MSN

If he drops in the draft, please know its not about him being gay, it's because of being an undersized DE.

How do you get politics from gay and football?

Because I knew someone would say something like this.

Sam fell because teams don't think he has much upside, because he's undersized and he will only play as a situational DE. NOT BECAUSE HE'S GAY.

But he did get drafted by an NFL team.

Before he announced his decision he was a projected 3-4 rounder, he was the same size, and teams felt he was in that area, his distraction was a factor, ask any GM in the NFL.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

If you watch ESPN Michael Sam was just about the only player drafted.

Jesus, what happens if he get's cut?

Forum List

Back