Five myths about Libertarianism

The claim that safety regulations on cars cause cars to be less safe than without those regulations. The concept interests me because I know parallels in other areas (for instance I run a daycare and we are required to pour bleach on all the food like bleach is safer than bacteria) and would like to know more about the car regs specifically.

Umm...WHAT?!?

That’s not a joke. The state requires that we bleach ALL vegetables and many other foods before serving it to the children.

I am not sure if the regulation is state or federal as the WAC that covers it is a conglomeration of all the regs (and it is several thousand pages to boot) mostly because many state regulations are reflections of federal mandates that the state set up but it is true. There is a bleach solution that must be made each day (as the state says the solution ‘goes bad’) and it is used on ALL surfaces and the food that you serve. Absolutely insane. We do not follow that regulation (I think it endangers the children) but if we were caught we would be closed down.

We wonder why cancer is such a problem and then we think it is all right to ingest manmade chemicals. Some things just make you go what!?!?!

(its a bleach solution btw as there is water in it as well and is used as a wash)

I actually think everyone should wash every thing they don't cook. On the other hand, making it a regulation is the government admitting that they cannot keep the food safe.

Which claim specifically?

The claim that safety regulations on cars cause cars to be less safe than without those regulations. The concept interests me because I know parallels in other areas (for instance I run a daycare and we are required to pour bleach on all the food like bleach is safer than bacteria) and would like to know more about the car regs specifically.

How about the fact that you once were able to get bumpers on a car that withstood a 5mph crash without damaging the car, now they can only withstand a 2.5 mph impact? Or the fact that smaller, lighter cars are inherently less safe than larger cars, and that CAFE standards reduce the size and weight of every vehicle sold in the US?

CAFE Standards Kill | National Review Online

Then we have the single most dangerous thing about new cars, they do not come with a spare.

New cars sold without spare tires: Automakers sell more cars without spare tires - Los Angeles Times

Thank you. I forgot about the café standard issue. I remember reading about it a few years ago and it makes sense. There are always unintended consequences from the do gooders that believe they know what is best for everyone.

Umm...WHAT?!?

That’s not a joke. The state requires that we bleach ALL vegetables and many other foods before serving it to the children.

I am not sure if the regulation is state or federal as the WAC that covers it is a conglomeration of all the regs (and it is several thousand pages to boot) mostly because many state regulations are reflections of federal mandates that the state set up but it is true. There is a bleach solution that must be made each day (as the state says the solution ‘goes bad’) and it is used on ALL surfaces and the food that you serve. Absolutely insane. We do not follow that regulation (I think it endangers the children) but if we were caught we would be closed down.

We wonder why cancer is such a problem and then we think it is all right to ingest manmade chemicals. Some things just make you go what!?!?!

(its a bleach solution btw as there is water in it as well and is used as a wash)

I actually think everyone should wash every thing they don't cook. On the other hand, making it a regulation is the government admitting that they cannot keep the food safe.

You should wash what you don’t cook (and even things that you do if you can) but you should NOT wash it in bleach. That is countering one problem with a worse one.

I don’t wash my food for bacteria anyway. I wash it to get the pesticides off. IOW, I want to REMOVE the chemicals not add to them. I think it is insane to wash your food in bleach before ingesting it.

Which claim specifically?

How about the fact that you once were able to get bumpers on a car that withstood a 5mph crash without damaging the car, now they can only withstand a 2.5 mph impact? Or the fact that smaller, lighter cars are inherently less safe than larger cars, and that CAFE standards reduce the size and weight of every vehicle sold in the US?

Did the CAFE Standards mandate a weaker bumper? Link to the language in CAFE, please.

Then we have the single most dangerous thing about new cars, they do not come with a spare.

New cars sold without spare tires: Automakers sell more cars without spare tires - Los Angeles Times

Is this also Obama's fault? :lol:

Why is this "the single most dangerous thing about new cars"?

Isn't this exactly what Conservatives and Libertarians want? The government out of the business of telling companies what they have to do?

Won't the invisible hand of the free market decide whether these are sound business decisions?

Do you want Big Nanny wiping your ass, too? :cool:

Umm...WHAT?!?

Are you aware of the Republican cuts to the USDA, FDA, OSHA, and a host of other regulatory bodies which have led to massive layoffs of inspectors?

The RW/Libertarian view is that if you get sick from tainted food the word will get around and the company will suffer a lower market share, prompting them to get their act together.

You sure suck as an advocate for the Conservative World View. :lol:

Are you aware of the Republican cuts to the USDA, FDA, OSHA, and a host of other regulatory bodies which have led to massive layoffs of inspectors?

Nope. Reason being ? There hasn't been any.

The RW/Libertarian view is that if you get sick from tainted food the word will get around and the company will suffer a lower market share, prompting them to get their act together.

Yeah man, Kraft Food Products is planning on giving us shitty foodstuffs as we speak.

What a retarded Son-of-bitch.

Don't forget to ask Obama to taste the food before you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should wash what you don’t cook (and even things that you do if you can) but you should NOT wash it in bleach. That is countering one problem with a worse one.

I don’t wash my food for bacteria anyway. I wash it to get the pesticides off. IOW, I want to REMOVE the chemicals not add to them. I think it is insane to wash your food in bleach before ingesting it.

You're not washing it in bleach. You're washing it in water with a ratio of 1 teaspoon per gallon of water, for sanitizing utensils and food preparation surfaces. That's from King County:

Bleach as a sanitizer

They say nothing on that site about actually washing the food in a bleach solution. If they do indeed mandate that (and you're not just a dumbass who can't comprehend the actual requirements), then that ratio would of course be less than 1 teaspoon per gallon of water.

Did the CAFE Standards mandate a weaker bumper? Link to the language in CAFE, please.

Isn't this exactly what Conservatives and Libertarians want? The government out of the business of telling companies what they have to do?

Won't the invisible hand of the free market decide whether these are sound business decisions?

Damn, you are stupid.

Where did I say that CAFE mandated a weaker bumper. What I said is that the standard bumper used to be able to withstand a 5 mph impact, and that the government reduced that requirement to 2.5 mph. Feel free to prove that wrong, if you can.

If you don't know why a car should carry a spare, and why it is dangerous not to have one, I don't know what to tell you. That is a bit like asking why fighter pilots need a parachute.

By the way, how is this what libertarians want? CAFE standards have mandated that cars get better gas mileage, and idiots think that works with unicorn farts. It doesn't, it requires reducing the weight of the car or cutting the ability to get the car started. Not even whacko environmentalists want to drive a car that take 10 minutes to go from 0 to 30, so they cut the wight by taking the spare tire out.

What cuts? Show me the budgets for those things, and show me how much less they have to spend.

You're not washing it in bleach. You're washing it in water with a ratio of 1 teaspoon per gallon of water, for sanitizing utensils and food preparation surfaces. That's from King County:

Bleach as a sanitizer

They say nothing on that site about actually washing the food in a bleach solution. If they do indeed mandate that (and you're not just a dumbass who can't comprehend the actual requirements), then that ratio would of course be less than 1 teaspoon per gallon of water.

It’s not a matter of interpretation, it is required and enforced by the state inspectors...

Oh never mind. I have no idea why I bother with such a partisan hack. If the government decided that you should drink the bleach straight you would openly defend it. As long as a democrat mandated it at least.

Damn, you are stupid.

Where did I say that CAFE mandated a weaker bumper.

You implied that when you paired it with your CAFE link.

What I said is that the standard bumper used to be able to withstand a 5 mph impact, and that the government reduced that requirement to 2.5 mph. Feel free to prove that wrong, if you can.

Why should I prove it wrong until you've proven it right? :lol:

In 2011, the CAFE was 30.2 MPG. Starting in 2012, it is calculated by each vehicle's footprint.

But the 2011 Toyota Prius gets 44 MPG! Why would they do that if they are only required to get 30.2 MPG? Because it's better for their consumers and is a selling point.

Using that as an example, what's stopping auto companies from still using 5 MPH bumpers, and promoting that as a safety feature?

Just because the government doesn't require 5 MPH bumpers (like they don't require 44 MPG fuel economy), that shouldn't restrict companies from using 5 MPH bumpers.

QW said:
If you don't know why a car should carry a spare, and why it is dangerous not to have one, I don't know what to tell you. That is a bit like asking why fighter pilots need a parachute.

You first said:

QW said:
It may be inconvenient, but it's not dangerous. The fact that you refuse to explain why you think it is just shows that it isn't.

You can call a roadside service. You can use run-flat tires to go up to 50 more miles.

By the way, how is this what libertarians want? CAFE standards have mandated that cars get better gas mileage, and idiots think that works with unicorn farts. It doesn't, it requires reducing the weight of the car or cutting the ability to get the car started. Not even whacko environmentalists want to drive a car that take 10 minutes to go from 0 to 30, so they cut the wight by taking the spare tire out.

Make engines more efficient. Make exhaust pipes out of something other than metal. Make the vehicles hybrid. Incorporate solar energy. Replace heavy carpeting with a lighter material (I don't know why cars need carpeting in the first place - plan to lay down on it?). Innovate!

What cuts? Show me the budgets for those things, and show me how much less they have to spend.
The federal budget cuts, known as sequestration, would mean 2,100 fewer food facility inspections by the Food and Drug Administration, “putting families at risk and costing billions in lost food production.” The cuts are set to take effect on March 1.

Bleach as a sanitizer

It’s not a matter of interpretation, it is required and enforced by the state inspectors...

Oh never mind. I have no idea why I bother with such a partisan hack. If the government decided that you should drink the bleach straight you would openly defend it. As long as a democrat mandated it at least.

Well FA, it was an interesting thread for a while until the hyper-partisan graffiti patrol decided show up and messed up the joint. :(

Last edited:

Bleach as a sanitizer

Link to it, then! I linked to your County website, why can't you?

ETA: I cannot find one link from anywhere that talks about actually using a bleach mixture to wash the food itself.

I think you are endangering these children needlessly because you can't comprehend simple instructions.

Last edited:
[
The federal budget cuts, known as sequestration, would mean 2,100 fewer food facility inspections by the Food and Drug Administration, “putting families at risk and costing billions in lost food production.” The cuts are set to take effect on March 1.

So much bullshit, so little time:

The sequestration Scam

"What had been portrayed as a drastic reduction in government spending was merely a decrease in the projected rate of increase in government spending over the next decade. Under sequestration, government spending increases by $2.4 trillion over the next 10 years rather than $2.5 trillion without it."

Last edited:

Bleach as a sanitizer

Well FA, it was an interesting thread for a while until the hyper-partisan graffiti patrol decided show up and messed up the joint. :(

Meh, I can ignore the trolls. After the years that I have been here I have a rather extensive list in my mind of posters added value to conversations I have had with them. It makes scrolling past the particularly bad ones fairly easy.

Bleach as a sanitizer

It is true that some state and local health departments have issued requirements for schools, nursing homes, and such to clean produce in weak bleach solutions to minimize the chance for e-coli, salmonella, and other common food contamination.

However, CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, an important division of the federal Dept of Health and Human Services, interestingly enough puts out these guidelines:

Rinse all fruits and vegetables before eating. This recommendation also applies to produce with rinds or skins that are not eaten. Rinse produce just before preparing or eating to avoid premature spoilage. Follow these simple steps:

1.Clean all surfaces and utensils with soap and hot water, including cutting boards, peelers, counter tops, and knives that will touch fresh produce. Wash hands with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds before and after handling fresh fruits and vegetables.

2.Rinse fresh fruits and vegetables, including those with skins and rinds that are not eaten, under clean running water and avoid using detergents or bleach. Remove the outer leaves of leafy vegetables such as lettuce and cabbage before washing. Produce with firm skin, such as potatoes, may require rubbing with a vegetable brush while rinsing under clean running water to remove all soil.

3.Dry fruits and vegetables with a clean paper towel and prepare, cook, or eat.

4.Packaged produce labeled "ready to eat," "pre-washed," or "triple washed" can be used without further washing.

Nutrition for Everyone: Food Safety Basics | DNPAO | CDC

The pure ibertarian concept, however, would say the government should make the information available as a component of the general welfare, but a free people would leave it up to the school or nursing home to set its own policies re food safety or whatever.

Last edited:

Damn, you are stupid.

Where did I say that CAFE mandated a weaker bumper.

You implied that when you paired it with your CAFE link.

Why should I prove it wrong until you've proven it right? :lol:

In 2011, the CAFE was 30.2 MPG. Starting in 2012, it is calculated by each vehicle's footprint.

But the 2011 Toyota Prius gets 44 MPG! Why would they do that if they are only required to get 30.2 MPG? Because it's better for their consumers and is a selling point.

Using that as an example, what's stopping auto companies from still using 5 MPH bumpers, and promoting that as a safety feature?

Just because the government doesn't require 5 MPH bumpers (like they don't require 44 MPG fuel economy), that shouldn't restrict companies from using 5 MPH bumpers.

CAFE standards are not calculated by each vehicles footprints, they are arbitrarily set by the government. Compliance with them might be determined by the "footprint," but not the standards themselves.

Do you understand the concept of paragraph breaks indicating a change of subject? I didn't pair anything with CAFE, I was responding to a specific question about which regulations make cars less safe. I then included other things that make cars less safe.

Do you know why the government stopped requiring 5 mph bumpers?

You first said:

QW said:
It may be inconvenient, but it's not dangerous. The fact that you refuse to explain why you think it is just shows that it isn't.

You can call a roadside service. You can use run-flat tires to go up to 50 more miles.

Make engines more efficient. Make exhaust pipes out of something other than metal. Make the vehicles hybrid. Incorporate solar energy. Replace heavy carpeting with a lighter material (I don't know why cars need carpeting in the first place - plan to lay down on it?). Innovate!

I don't know how to explain to a person that thinks it is fine to walk off the top of a building why it might be dangerous to do so. Anyone that thinks not having a spare is not a safety issue is a fool.

The federal budget cuts, known as sequestration, would mean 2,100 fewer food facility inspections by the Food and Drug Administration, “putting families at risk and cost
ing billions in lost food production.” The cuts are set to take effect on March 1.

No numbers, why am I not surprised?

By the way, sequestration did not cut the budget. Every single federal agency has more money to spend this year than it did last year because every single agency got a bigger budget. All sequestration did was reduce the size of the spending increasing. If the FDA actually had to cut 2,100 people from its food inspection staff=even though it has more money than it did last year I would suggest you fire the guy in charge and find someone who knows how to deal with having more money to spend than he did before.

Forum List

Back