Five reasons Christians should read the Book of Mormon

I've made this argument plenty of times. If God judges us according to a preponderance of deception we were fooled by, then where does that end? If Mormons believe in a prophet and another testament of Jesus Christ that isn't true, but have strived all their lives to follow Christ and live by his love, are they going to hell? And if we make false beliefs the defining criteria, what if it's discovered that the entire Protestant Reformation was a lie, that the Catholic Church truly is the one universal Church by which people come to Christ......are all those Protestants lost? So it's hilarious to see a Protestant say a Mormon is going to hell because of false belief while assuming they're perfectly safe.

The truth is, we're all groping in the fog here, and God reveals himself in manifest ways. Ultimately what decides who goes to heaven and who doesn't is whether or not we wanted a love relationship to God while we were here on earth. Those who choose to live outside of the love of God will continue to do so in eternity. That's what hell is. To make heaven like a high school exam that must be passed with 90% or better is to fundamentally misunderstand what God is looking for in deciding who he wants to be with for eternity.
Wrong. Don't believe in lies by the devil.

What is Mormonism

Mormons believe that when their founder, Joseph Smith, was just 21-years-old, an angel named Moroni gave him ancient records, written on plates of gold, much like the tablets of Moses, when given the Ten Commandments. However, Smith was unable to interpret these writings, apparently due to his illiteracy, and lack of education, so they believe God intervened, giving Joseph the ability translate the message to his scribes. After the encounter with the angel Moroni, Joseph did just that, and The Book of Mormon was written over a period of about three months. [ix]

The great Apostle Paul in his letter to the Galatian’s warns:

I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. (Galatians 1:6-9) (Emphasis added).

The Christian believes that salvation is by grace alone, and not by works, lest anyone boast. We believe this, because the Lord our God, through his great Apostle Paul tells us so.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9)

The last words, spoken by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, while he was perishing from a brutal crucifixion on that old rugged cross were— Tetelestai! Those words echo in the hearts and minds of born again believers in Jesus Christ (John 3:3). This was spoken in His native tongue, the Aramaic language, which literally translates to “it is finished!” Christians not only believe the last words of the Christ, we cling to that promise from God the Son.

Sadly, Mormons believe that the work of Jesus Christ on the cross was not enough to save them. Mormons believe that to gain eternal life, they must add to that atonement by earning their salvation through works.

For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do. (II Nephi 25:23) (Emphasis added).
In this last paragraph of scripture, what does, after all we can do mean?

Is it saying that we try as hard as we can try, (our own good works), but in the end, it is Christ who has saved us because we will still fall short?

And who is it that said, Faith without works, is dead? Was that Paul also?

NOT one man or woman alive is doing all they can do. That is the point:) Mormons do not believe in Jesus' finished work, His FREE GIFT of salvation. They believe in faith plus works.

really, I guess you're the authority now on what Mormons believe. Alright. Look at what the "Bible" says.
Eph 2;8
For by grace are ye saved through faith and that not of your selves it is the gift of God
In Act chapter 19:1-6 he baptized these same Ephesian saints, not only once but twice
He didn't like the way they were baptized the first time so he baptized them again. And these were supposedly the same ephesian saints that are supposedly saved by grace.
Heres another one.
Rev 2:1,2,5.
More advice for ephesians that are supposedly saved by your definition of grace.
v:2 I know thy works
v:5 repent and do thy first "works"

You better study your bible son because the so called religion you're trying to force on me doesn't jive with the Bible.

Mormonism perverts Christianity as the Tea Party perverts true Conservatism. I have no use for either one of them. Those who believe in a false prophet will burn in hell and those who support a perversion of conservatism will lead America to its downfall.
And those that believe in the creeds of anthanasia will go where? LOL
dang, what a false concept of God.
This is where I say blow me. However, im feeling the holiday spirit as a Christian and will just say dont promote your religion using this board by promoting a book. If you want to talk about Mormon ism then that's different.

the Book of Mormon is a religious book. Why exactly shouldn't we discuss it in a religious forum?

I don't believe in the Qur'an. But I don't see why we can't discuss it. Or why we shouldn't read it to inform ourselves. And there are countless other religious books we can discuss and encourage people to read them.
As long as it's not for their salvation I'm cool with that.
There is no salvation when you are required to believe in a false prophet with magic stones and underwear.

It's hard to know where you're coming from with this criticism. Are you denying the supernatural altogether? Being Christian means believing that Moses parted the Red Sea, that Jesus raised people from the dead, and that miracles still happen today. So if belief in the supernatural is absurd to you, then it's not just the Mormon church you have a problem with, but all faith in general.
There is a different between the word of God and the word of a man who deceived a bunch of dumb white people into thinking they should wear magic underwear because dome loser found a migic stone that revealed some magic words, that dissappeared, so he wrote some new magic words. JOseph Smith just wanted pussy...he is a false prophet. A deceiver.
and those that wouldn't accept the ridiculous creeds of anthanasia were put to death. So what's the trade off

Mormons don't believe Jesus is God. No, they are not Christians. There are so many doctrines and beliefs that do not line up with Scripture, it is hard to know where to start.

all you've essentially said is you've never read the Book of Mormon and dont know what Mormons actually teach

I know exactly what they teach.
Says someone who never read the books or attended the church. LoL. Ok if the bible has everything in it then tell me what happened to Adams first wife in genesis? (Not really a Latter Day Saint question but I was curious what your response is)

the bible has everything in it needed for salvation and how God wants you to live and treat others. There are a billion things not "in the Bible", of course. But everything a Believer needs is in there.

I would imagine that the new testament jews had basically the same attitude as yours

The problem I have with organized Christianity is that it's spiritually dead. It's dependant on accepting the bible as the word if God. The bible is ancient.

I personally believe the truth is the word of God. And the truth didn't end in 33 A.D.

I am not very familiar with Mormon spirituality. My experience with Mormons was personal most often they seem like nice folks but one experience was incredibly nasty and it's difficult not to let that cloud my judgement. So perhaps I will save my comments because they may be personal and overly biased.

I would like to hear more.

Keen insight, the true gospel is restored same as in all previous dispensations!

What is Mormonism

Mormons believe that when their founder, Joseph Smith, was just 21-years-old, an angel named Moroni gave him ancient records, written on plates of gold, much like the tablets of Moses, when given the Ten Commandments. However, Smith was unable to interpret these writings, apparently due to his illiteracy, and lack of education, so they believe God intervened, giving Joseph the ability translate the message to his scribes. After the encounter with the angel Moroni, Joseph did just that, and The Book of Mormon was written over a period of about three months. [ix]

I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. (Galatians 1:6-9) (Emphasis added).

The Christian believes that salvation is by grace alone, and not by works, lest anyone boast. We believe this, because the Lord our God, through his great Apostle Paul tells us so.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9)

The last words, spoken by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, while he was perishing from a brutal crucifixion on that old rugged cross were— Tetelestai! Those words echo in the hearts and minds of born again believers in Jesus Christ (John 3:3). This was spoken in His native tongue, the Aramaic language, which literally translates to “it is finished!” Christians not only believe the last words of the Christ, we cling to that promise from God the Son.

Sadly, Mormons believe that the work of Jesus Christ on the cross was not enough to save them. Mormons believe that to gain eternal life, they must add to that atonement by earning their salvation through works.

For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do. (II Nephi 25:23) (Emphasis added).
Can you explain the whole reading out of a hat thing?

The problem I have with organized Christianity is that it's spiritually dead. It's dependant on accepting the bible as the word if God. The bible is ancient.

I personally believe the truth is the word of God. And the truth didn't end in 33 A.D.

I am not very familiar with Mormon spirituality. My experience with Mormons was personal most often they seem like nice folks but one experience was incredibly nasty and it's difficult not to let that cloud my judgement. So perhaps I will save my comments because they may be personal and overly biased.

Keen insight, the true gospel is restored same as in all previous dispensations!
Okay. .

What is Mormonism

Is it saying that we try as hard as we can try, (our own good works), but in the end, it is Christ who has saved us because we will still fall short?

NOT one man or woman alive is doing all they can do. That is the point:) Mormons do not believe in Jesus' finished work, His FREE GIFT of salvation. They believe in faith plus works.

Alright. Look at what the "Bible" says.
Eph 2;8
For by grace are ye saved through faith and that not of your selves it is the gift of God

You better study your bible son because the so called religion you're trying to force on me doesn't jive with the Bible.

Alrighty then, continue on to Eph 2:10

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

- King James Bible "Authorized Version", Cambridge Edition

How does that jive?
You have been debunked!

What is Mormonism

I like how you explained "after all we can do"

after all we can do means mixing law with grace. Grace becomes null and void then. Besides asking Jesus to save us and be our Savior; there is nothing we can do to earn our salvation. NOTHING. It is a free gift.

there is nothing we can do to earn our salvation. NOTHING. It is a free gift.

When will Protestants such as yourself stop fearing that imaginary, made-up bogeyman that it is possible to earn salvation? It is such an impotent myth, but to this day--even after five hundred years--it continues to paralyze some Protestants all the same. I am always so sorry when I see you are still caught in its clutches, Ninja. Break free!

Have you never read Philippians where we are told to continue to work out our salvation with fear and trembling? Why not accept the Catholic teaching and be at rest? The Greek makes it clear that "work out" means to bring to completion. Catholics believe that salvation is a gift and that once given, God continues to send His spirit to complete the work within us. HOWEVER, there is one way man can block God's gift and graces, and that is by refusing to cooperate and rejecting both God and gifts.

Perhaps from the Protestant Point of View: You say that people do have to accept Christ, and so for you, it must seem logical that Paul is saying you cannot accept Christ one day and then reject him the next--not if you are going to continue to work out your salvation (gift) with fear and trembling.

For Catholics, salvation is a way of life. Salvation is not cooperating with God and His guidance one day--and then refusing to cooperate with it the next. For Catholics, this is not about "earning" it is about our belief in free will. There is a great difference between earning and free will.

"Earning salvation" is no more than a mirage some Protestants see, it is a quicksand of ignorance Protestants have stumbled into. Why not turn from both mirage and quicksand (and refuse to build any more straw men)? Why not understand it is the Catholic belief that God has given us free will to choose or reject, not earning, you are stumbling over?

Does the truth change over time? If not, the Bible should still be valid.

Does the truth change over time? If not, the Bible should still be valid.
We learn what is true and canards once believed to be true are abandoned. The bible is poetry and thus it is ambiguous.

there is nothing we can do to earn our salvation. NOTHING. It is a free gift.

When will Protestants such as yourself stop fearing that imaginary, made-up bogeyman that it is possible to earn salvation? It is such an impotent myth, but to this day--even after five hundred years--it continues to paralyze some Protestants all the same. I am always so sorry when I see you are still caught in its clutches, Ninja. Break free!

Have you never read Philippians where we are told to continue to work out our salvation with fear and trembling? Why not accept the Catholic teaching and be at rest? The Greek makes it clear that "work out" means to bring to completion. Catholics believe that salvation is a gift and that once given, God continues to send His spirit to complete the work within us. HOWEVER, there is one way man can block God's gift and graces, and that is by refusing to cooperate and rejecting both God and gifts.

Perhaps from the Protestant Point of View: You say that people do have to accept Christ, and so for you, it must seem logical that Paul is saying you cannot accept Christ one day and then reject him the next--not if you are going to continue to work out your salvation (gift) with fear and trembling.

For Catholics, salvation is a way of life. Salvation is not cooperating with God and His guidance one day--and then refusing to cooperate with it the next. For Catholics, this is not about "earning" it is about our belief in free will. There is a great difference between earning and free will.

"Earning salvation" is no more than a mirage some Protestants see, it is a quicksand of ignorance Protestants have stumbled into. Why not turn from both mirage and quicksand (and refuse to build any more straw men)? Why not understand it is the Catholic belief that God has given us free will to choose or reject, not earning, you are stumbling over?

hi Mer, HNY. The difference between Catholics and Protestants is RC's do good works to try to earn salvation, and we do them BECAUSE we are saved. BIG difference. Also, I have asked you before if you are saved and you said you hope so, don't know, its up to God etc.... which proves that YOU HOPE you are "good enough" to be saved, go to Heaven etc... which proves my point. It isn't based on our performance or obedience.

hi Mer, HNY. The difference between Catholics and Protestants is RC's do good works to try to earn salvation, and we do them BECAUSE we are saved. BIG difference.

You mistake discipleship as "trying to earn salvation." Remember, unlike some Protestants, Catholics do not believe "saved" happens in a single instance of time. Rather, salvation is a way of life, a way we choose to live every day of our life. Salvation/redemption is not the Protestant idea that in a single instance they are guaranteed, after death, a place in heaven.

The Catholic belief is that one enters into salvation, redemption, the kingdom in this life and this salvation, redemption, kingdom continues into the next life. Catholics recognize the balance between God's promises and God's final judgment. We do not tell God our place in eternity. Rather, we trust His promises and His final judgment.

Also, I have asked you before if you are saved and you said you hope so, don't know, its up to God etc.... which proves that YOU HOPE you are "good enough" to be saved, go to Heaven etc... which proves my point. It isn't based on our performance or obedience.

I probably said (as I usually do) that I pretty much reject the term "saved" as used and defined by Protestants. Redeemed is more precise, as is The Way of Salvation. Also remember the Catholic definition of "hope". In Catholicism, hope is defined not as an unknown wish, but as an expectation. The reason I live salvation and choose to live a redeemed life is because the way of salvation/redemption gives me the hope (expectation) of a more abundant life here and now--and I have the expectation (hope) of eternal life.

Next time the Protestant idea of "earning salvation" comes to mind, ask yourself how a person can earn the road on which they are already traveling. The road of salvation is open to everyone--so that cannot be "earned" either.

Meri, I know what Catholics believe, but it is a wrong belief according to Jesus. Do you also reject Jesus use of saved?

Forum List

Back