Five reasons Christians should read the Book of Mormon

Mormons don't believe Jesus is God. No, they are not Christians. There are so many doctrines and beliefs that do not line up with Scripture, it is hard to know where to start.

all you've essentially said is you've never read the Book of Mormon and dont know what Mormons actually teach

I know exactly what they teach.
Says someone who never read the books or attended the church. LoL. Ok if the bible has everything in it then tell me what happened to Adams first wife in genesis? (Not really a Latter Day Saint question but I was curious what your response is)

the bible has everything in it needed for salvation and how God wants you to live and treat others. There are a billion things not "in the Bible", of course. But everything a Believer needs is in there.

Even the writers of the Bible didn't believe that. "Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle." 2Thess 2:15 We weren't baptized into a Bible. Jesus didn't pass his authority to a book. To be in Christ is to be part of Christ's Church which is the "pillar and foundation of all truth". 1Tim 3:15 It's not to suggest that we shouldn't be reading the Bible and guided by its principles, but to make it the all and everything for Christian life is to place upon it a mantle it was never designed to bear.

Mormons don't believe Jesus is God. No, they are not Christians. There are so many doctrines and beliefs that do not line up with Scripture, it is hard to know where to start.

all you've essentially said is you've never read the Book of Mormon and dont know what Mormons actually teach

Says someone who never read the books or attended the church. LoL. Ok if the bible has everything in it then tell me what happened to Adams first wife in genesis? (Not really a Latter Day Saint question but I was curious what your response is)

the bible has everything in it needed for salvation and how God wants you to live and treat others. There are a billion things not "in the Bible", of course. But everything a Believer needs is in there.

Even the writers of the Bible didn't believe that. "Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle." 2Thess 2:15 We weren't baptized into a Bible. Jesus didn't pass his authority to a book. To be in Christ is to be part of Christ's Church which is the "pillar and foundation of all truth". 1Tim 3:15 It's not to suggest that we shouldn't be reading the Bible and guided by its principles, but to make it the all and everything for Christian life is to place upon it a mantle it was never designed to bear.

The oral tradition being spoken about in 2 Thes 2:15 came directly from the mouth of inspired prophets. We find no one today making the claim of being inspired.

The oral tradition being spoken about in 2 Thes 2:15 came directly from the mouth of inspired prophets. We find no one today making the claim of being inspired.

Wrong and wrong. And you should know better because even Protestants understand that the age of the prophets was concluded in Jesus Christ, which is why he taught, "Do not be called 'Rabbi' for One is your Teacher and you are all brothers." The transfiguration of Christ drew a picture that can't be mistaken, that Jesus is greater than the law and the prophets; that both the law and the prophets are fulfilled in Him. And the writers of the Bible were no stranger to this concept, recording the transition from prophets to Christ in the first 2 verses of Hebrews. Prophets were the mediators between men and God, but now we have Christ. The age of prophets is over.

And furthermore, Christ said, "I will build my Church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it". So when we're speaking of the apostles, we're speaking of the leadership of the Church that Jesus commissioned. The opening chapters of Acts records the election of a successor to Judas, the first of a 2000 year tradition of apostolic succession. So to say that there are no inspired men today is to call Christ a liar, for you claim a demise of the Church that Christ promised would never occur.

On another note, nearly 90% of converts to the Catholic Church are formerly from Protestant denominations. Do you know what lead them to the Catholic Church?

Reading their Bibles.

no one is forcing you to participate in any thread. I don't see why you feel so threatened by an invitation to read a Book. I'll keep you in my prayers
This is where I say blow me. However, im feeling the holiday spirit as a Christian and will just say dont promote your religion using this board by promoting a book. If you want to talk about Mormon ism then that's different.

the Book of Mormon is a religious book. Why exactly shouldn't we discuss it in a religious forum?

I don't believe in the Qur'an. But I don't see why we can't discuss it. Or why we shouldn't read it to inform ourselves. And there are countless other religious books we can discuss and encourage people to read them.
As long as it's not for their salvation I'm cool with that.
There is no salvation when you are required to believe in a false prophet with magic stones and underwear.

It's hard to know where you're coming from with this criticism. Are you denying the supernatural altogether? Being Christian means believing that Moses parted the Red Sea, that Jesus raised people from the dead, and that miracles still happen today. So if belief in the supernatural is absurd to you, then it's not just the Mormon church you have a problem with, but all faith in general.
There is a different between the word of God and the word of a man who deceived a bunch of dumb white people into thinking they should wear magic underwear because dome loser found a migic stone that revealed some magic words, that dissappeared, so he wrote some new magic words. JOseph Smith just wanted pussy...he is a false prophet. A deceiver.

Or just go see the musical….

You will learn about Mormonism and the nature all religions as man-made constructs.

This is where I say blow me. However, im feeling the holiday spirit as a Christian and will just say dont promote your religion using this board by promoting a book. If you want to talk about Mormon ism then that's different.

the Book of Mormon is a religious book. Why exactly shouldn't we discuss it in a religious forum?

I don't believe in the Qur'an. But I don't see why we can't discuss it. Or why we shouldn't read it to inform ourselves. And there are countless other religious books we can discuss and encourage people to read them.
As long as it's not for their salvation I'm cool with that.
There is no salvation when you are required to believe in a false prophet with magic stones and underwear.

It's hard to know where you're coming from with this criticism. Are you denying the supernatural altogether? Being Christian means believing that Moses parted the Red Sea, that Jesus raised people from the dead, and that miracles still happen today. So if belief in the supernatural is absurd to you, then it's not just the Mormon church you have a problem with, but all faith in general.
There is a different between the word of God and the word of a man who deceived a bunch of dumb white people into thinking they should wear magic underwear because dome loser found a migic stone that revealed some magic words, that dissappeared, so he wrote some new magic words. JOseph Smith just wanted pussy...he is a false prophet. A deceiver.

Ok, that helps me understand better. You know what's funny about the South Park rendition of Joseph Smith is that EVERYTHING in that episode is true. It sounds like they're making fun of Mormons, but in fact it's exactly what they claim to believe:

Mormonism perverts Christianity as the Tea Party perverts true Conservatism. I have no use for either one of them. Those who believe in a false prophet will burn in hell and those who support a perversion of conservatism will lead America to its downfall.

Mormonism perverts Christianity as the Tea Party perverts true Conservatism. I have no use for either one of them. Those who believe in a false prophet will burn in hell and those who support a perversion of conservatism will lead America to its downfall.

You sure are quick to deal hell and condemnation. So Mormons are all going to hell? I'm glad that God's judging the souls of men and not you.

You sure are quick to deal hell and condemnation. So Mormons are all going to hell? I'm glad that God's judging the souls of men and not you.
Mormonism is an affront to Christianity. It was devised by power hungry/ horny men. It is deception. Any man with true faith in Jesus Christ knows this. They are almost as guilty as the Catholic Church when it comes to using the word of God in an effort to gain power and money. And let's not even get into the sub-cults of Mormonism...serving only pedophiles and perverts.

I've made this argument plenty of times. If God judges us according to a preponderance of deception we were fooled by, then where does that end? If Mormons believe in a prophet and another testament of Jesus Christ that isn't true, but have strived all their lives to follow Christ and live by his love, are they going to hell? And if we make false beliefs the defining criteria, what if it's discovered that the entire Protestant Reformation was a lie, that the Catholic Church truly is the one universal Church by which people come to Christ......are all those Protestants lost? So it's hilarious to see a Protestant say a Mormon is going to hell because of false belief while assuming they're perfectly safe.

The truth is, we're all groping in the fog here, and God reveals himself in manifest ways. Ultimately what decides who goes to heaven and who doesn't is whether or not we wanted a love relationship to God while we were here on earth. Those who choose to live outside of the love of God will continue to do so in eternity. That's what hell is. To make heaven like a high school exam that must be passed with 90% or better is to fundamentally misunderstand what God is looking for in deciding who he wants to be with for eternity.

Mormonism is an affront to Christianity. It was devised by power hungry/ horny men. It is deception. Any man with true faith in Jesus Christ knows this. They are almost as guilty as the Catholic Church when it comes to using the word of God in an effort to gain power and money. And let's not even get into the sub-cults of Mormonism...serving only pedophiles and perverts.

You're just a little hate factory, aren't you?

Any man who perverts the word of God for personal gain, for hate, for sex will burn in hell.

Any man who perverts the word of God for personal gain, for hate, for sex will burn in hell.

Now that I believe. If Joseph Smith isn't going to hell for fabricating a false religion, writing a fictitious book and passing it off as religious truth, and forming a system that sanctifies his lustful desire to shag as many women as possible, then what is hell for? Ultimately every cult leader attempts to create a false religious apparatus to justify their lust.

But you said that everyone who believes he's a prophet will go to hell because he's false. While I'm very certain that Joseph Smith the deceiver is in hell, does that mean all of his followers, the deceived, are also going to hell? And like I said before, where does that end? What if you're wrong and the Catholic Church is right? What makes YOU so sure you're not going to hell? Do you see the problem with this thinking?

I've made this argument plenty of times. If God judges us according to a preponderance of deception we were fooled by, then where does that end? If Mormons believe in a prophet and another testament of Jesus Christ that isn't true, but have strived all their lives to follow Christ and live by his love, are they going to hell? And if we make false beliefs the defining criteria, what if it's discovered that the entire Protestant Reformation was a lie, that the Catholic Church truly is the one universal Church by which people come to Christ......are all those Protestants lost? So it's hilarious to see a Protestant say a Mormon is going to hell because of false belief while assuming they're perfectly safe.

The truth is, we're all groping in the fog here, and God reveals himself in manifest ways. Ultimately what decides who goes to heaven and who doesn't is whether or not we wanted a love relationship to God while we were here on earth. Those who choose to live outside of the love of God will continue to do so in eternity. That's what hell is. To make heaven like a high school exam that must be passed with 90% or better is to fundamentally misunderstand what God is looking for in deciding who he wants to be with for eternity.
So I can have a relationship with God and praise Satan and still go to heaven?

Now that I believe. If Joseph Smith isn't going to hell for fabricating a false religion, writing a fictitious book and passing it off as religious truth, and forming a system that sanctifies his lustful desire to shag as many women as possible, then what is hell for? Ultimately every cult leader attempts to create a false religious apparatus to justify their lust.

But you said that everyone who believes he's a prophet will go to hell because he's false. While I'm very certain that Joseph Smith the deceiver is in hell, does that mean all of his followers, the deceived, are also going to hell? And like I said before, where does that end? What if you're wrong and the Catholic Church is right? What makes YOU so sure you're not going to hell? Do you see the problem with this thinking?
DId God know you before you were born?

Is that what I said, or are you just being illiterate?

Is that what I said, or are you just being illiterate?
Yeah...it pretty much is.

Forum List

Back