Five reasons Christians should read the Book of Mormon

Jesus christ. .. don't push your Romney religion on me. I dont want to hear it. Your a mod. Contribute in other ways. Wow...shit.

Thought you should know.... ;)
Moderators are members just like the rest of us and are not censored in what they want to post about.....When they post and contribute with threads, they are not doing so as moderators, but as long time members of this board, before, during, and after being moderators. Only when you see them post in RED INK are they posting on this board as moderators.

Yeah, keep your religion to yourself I'm a non demonational christian and don't want to hear about weird religions. Certainly you got that out of my post, right? You completely ignored it, but whatever.

so you don't want to hear about other religions and yet you voluntarily go to a religious forum and click on a thread about another religion? Then we are supposed to keep our religion to ourselves and immediately after you tell everyone what your religion is.

you say one thing and do another. I don't think you even recognize the disconnect.

let's reason together here. You clearly have some hostility to this particular thread. Why? I haven't seen you act this way of even really participate in the other religious threads so why does this one affect you so much?

now let me ask this, what do you think the source of this hostility is from, God or the devil? The spirit of God enlightens man and speaks peace to the soul. He fills us with charity and good will toward our fellow man.

the adversary divides men and stirs us up to anger one with another. He convinces people not to learn and explore.

now which spirit is influencing you here. And why?
The truth - I'm hostile to the religion of Mormon ism but I agree with the premise about man and god. I'm the same way with catholics and most churches, not all, though. I'm a devoted non denominational Christian. Been so for 19 years.

Jesus christ. .. don't push your Romney religion on me. I dont want to hear it. Your a mod. Contribute in other ways. Wow...shit.

no one is forcing you to participate in any thread. I don't see why you feel so threatened by an invitation to read a Book. I'll keep you in my prayers
This is where I say blow me. However, im feeling the holiday spirit as a Christian and will just say dont promote your religion using this board by promoting a book. If you want to talk about Mormon ism then that's different.

the Book of Mormon is a religious book. Why exactly shouldn't we discuss it in a religious forum?

I don't believe in the Qur'an. But I don't see why we can't discuss it. Or why we shouldn't read it to inform ourselves. And there are countless other religious books we can discuss and encourage people to read them.
As long as it's not for their salvation I'm cool with that.

I don't understand this animosity toward Latter Day Saints on this board. Most of the ones I have been in contact with are very nice. Avatar just presents his case like a breathe of fresh air and most are the comments are ignorant. I do have some issues with what they say but that comes most likely from a lack of understanding on my part. Give it a read and reserve your judgement till after, I guess the posters take a review of a movie as correct or do you go see the movie and make your own judgements? It's the same thing, think for yourselves. Preconceived notions based on a lack of knowledge. And it just shows how spoon fed you are and want others to lead you. Merry Christmas folks!

Magic underwear. The story of John Smith...how does that South Park song go...dumb, dumb dumb da dumb

no one is forcing you to participate in any thread. I don't see why you feel so threatened by an invitation to read a Book. I'll keep you in my prayers
This is where I say blow me. However, im feeling the holiday spirit as a Christian and will just say dont promote your religion using this board by promoting a book. If you want to talk about Mormon ism then that's different.

the Book of Mormon is a religious book. Why exactly shouldn't we discuss it in a religious forum?

I don't believe in the Qur'an. But I don't see why we can't discuss it. Or why we shouldn't read it to inform ourselves. And there are countless other religious books we can discuss and encourage people to read them.
There is no salvation when you are required to believe in a false prophet with magic stones and underwear.

Id imagine the hostility comes when we see that our fellow humans can rise to THIS level of gullibility.

Its sad & sick, at the same time.

Mormonism is barely ahead of Scientology on an intellectual level. Add in that Joseph Smith was a known and admitted con man who had an affinity for pre pubescent females? Any tells me theyre a mormon, the first question that always comes to mind is "youre fucking with me, right?"

you use circular reasoning and conclude that others are gullible? Maybe we are, but no more than the average person, including you.

it's a simple matter. I believe the Book of Mormon because I asked the Lord whether it was true and He revealed to me that it was by the power of the Holy Spirit. I've applied the doctrines of Christ found clearly in the Book of Mormon to my life and found the fruit to be good. Why shouldn't I trust God? Or my own experiences? Does that make me gullible?

instead you think I'm supposed to believe libel about Joseph smith without looking at all what he taught or what those closest to him said and thought and pretend as though that without a single look at the doctrine in supposed to blindly reject it. I don't believe in remaining in ignorance or believe the testimony of questionable sources. I like to go to the source and find out for myself. I don't see how doing that is bad.

It's been revealed to me that David Koresh is the Spiritual "Good" Twin of Charles Manson and the hope of humanity. How is that any different than your claim that that gods have communications with you? Why is your claim valid and mine not?

you mean other than the fact that you are obviously making it up to make a point? The fact that you need to ask the question tells me you haven't. Because when you have a personal experience with God there is no doubt that you have. You know.

also the fact that you openly proclaim there is no God tells me you haven't received said revelation from Him.

but the beauty of the Book of Mormon is you don't have to take my word for it. In fact, I encourage you not to take my word for it. I don't expect or want you to blindly believe me because I said so. I am inviting you and anyone else who reads this to read the Book of Mormon for themselves and ask the Lord whether it's true. And even if all you can do is believe that it's possible that God can answer you if He exists and you sincerely want to know, He will reveal to you by the power of the Holy Ghost that it is true. And by the power of the Holy Ghost all men can know the truth of all things.

I know this because I did it. I experimented on the Word and received a witness. You can too if you take the Book of Mormon challenge.

Firstly, I would offer that your heavy handed proselytizing has the opposite affect of what you hope it has.

Otherwise, Tell me, what is the difference between your asserted "communications" with the gawds, and a certifiably insane person's claim that he is Napoleon? Both are equally demonstrable and reasonable claims, (according to your standards), and why should I believe your claims of “revelation” is real, but the individual with cognitive impairment (claiming to be Napolean) is uttering a false claim?

Even if I were to concede that You actually do receive revelations from the gawds, there’s just no valid reason to conclude that you did, in fact, experience a revelation. The act of sharing a revelation is no different from it being hearsay.

Faith means you have no way to discern the difference.

Reason lets us understand both for what they actually are.

I am not going to read the book of Mormons, unless Mormons start crashing planes into buildings. Because that is the only reason I bothered to read the Quran, and having read it I started condemning it as bunk. From what I have read about the book of Mormons in post 2 of this thread, I have no doubt that if I read it I would find it too is bunk.

odd position to take. However that's your right. Seems to me you are rewarding bad behavior though.

which viewpoint on God do you think is more likely to be correct, the one that teaches people to fly into buildings to dominate others or the one that invites you to humbly come and learn for yourself from God?

I see no reason to trouble myself with Mormonism as it seems benign. I do however feel moved to undermine Islam all over the Internet because they are dangerous. I expect that if I read the book of Mormon I would find it false, as I have with so many other books. For example I used to believe in Theosophy until I read in the secret doctrine that Madam Blavatsky said Atlantis was under the Atlantic. But we have maps of the sea bed which show no continent could have existed, as the Atlantic has expanded due to the mid Atlantic fissure. You can fit Europe and America together like the pieces of a jig saw and there is no room for Atlantis. So The secret doctrine is bunk. So is the Quran. If the book of Mormon is available online I might examine it. But I will probably end up concluding it is bunk too, from what I have read.

Why are you trying to push the book of mormon on folks? And I am kinda surprised, too, because you (avatar) didn't seem the pushy type. Some of your responses are a tad snarky as well.

I found the book of Mormon online. Its the skeptics annotated version. Which saves me the trouble of working out the flaws in it by myself. I was immediately struck by the account of a pillar of fire. Sounds like nonsense to me.

Skeptic s Annotated Book of Mormon

The problem I have with organized Christianity is that it's spiritually dead. It's dependant on accepting the bible as the word if God. The bible is ancient.

I personally believe the truth is the word of God. And the truth didn't end in 33 A.D.

I am not very familiar with Mormon spirituality. My experience with Mormons was personal most often they seem like nice folks but one experience was incredibly nasty and it's difficult not to let that cloud my judgement. So perhaps I will save my comments because they may be personal and overly biased.

I would like to hear more.

Itchy ears always want to hear more . . . lies.
Tough, in the past thread I spoke to you on, you proved yourself to be incapable of discussion.

Grow up and then maybe I will permit you to hear more.

:lmao:

Nonsense. You're the silly little boy who believes God exists but doesn't know why you believe God exists.
See what I mean?

"Are we not men?"

Blah blah blah.

Anyone following these issues (LDS vs. Christianity) knows that the LDS church has, for a couple decades now, been trying to convince a low-information audience (i.e., most Americans, including those who claim t be "Christians"), that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is "just another form of Christianity.

The very idea that an religion could embrace the BOM and the Bible is preposterous. The two are unreconcileable. There is a reason why the Mormons had to find their own state and live by themselves: the American Christian community of the 1800's was very knowledgeable about the Bible and knew that the BOM was an abomination.

But the worst beliefs of LDS are not actually from the BOM, but rather the teachings of Brigham Young and Joe Smith. THEY are the ones who taught that God was once a man like us, and that if we live a good life we can become Gods ourselves after death (just one example of dozens of bizarre beliefs that are contrary to any rational understanding of the Bible).

If you want to sell your Mormon nonsense, be my guest, but to even hint that it is compatible with Christianity is a blatant LIE.

The problem I have with organized Christianity is that it's spiritually dead. It's dependant on accepting the bible as the word if God. The bible is ancient.

I personally believe the truth is the word of God. And the truth didn't end in 33 A.D.

I am not very familiar with Mormon spirituality. My experience with Mormons was personal most often they seem like nice folks but one experience was incredibly nasty and it's difficult not to let that cloud my judgement. So perhaps I will save my comments because they may be personal and overly biased.

I would like to hear more.

Itchy ears always want to hear more . . . lies.
Tough, in the past thread I spoke to you on, you proved yourself to be incapable of discussion.

Grow up and then maybe I will permit you to hear more.

:lmao:

Nonsense. You're the silly little boy who believes God exists but doesn't know why you believe God exists.
See what I mean?

"Are we not men?"

Blah blah blah.
Orgy porgy Ford and fun
Kiss the girls and make them one
Girls at one with boys at peace
Orgy porgy gives release.

I don't understand this animosity toward Latter Day Saints on this board. Most of the ones I have been in contact with are very nice. Avatar just presents his case like a breathe of fresh air and most are the comments are ignorant. I do have some issues with what they say but that comes most likely from a lack of understanding on my part. Give it a read and reserve your judgement till after, I guess the posters take a review of a movie as correct or do you go see the movie and make your own judgements? It's the same thing, think for yourselves. Preconceived notions based on a lack of knowledge. And it just shows how spoon fed you are and want others to lead you. Merry Christmas folks!
You don't believe how I believe, therefore you are wrong.

You know standard insecurities

Mormons don't believe Jesus is God. No, they are not Christians. There are so many doctrines and beliefs that do not line up with Scripture, it is hard to know where to start.

all you've essentially said is you've never read the Book of Mormon and dont know what Mormons actually teach

I know what they teach and it certainly isn't in line with what Jesus taught! Just a few examples of hundreds;

The Book of Mormon teaches that little children are not capable of sin because they do not have a sinful nature (Moroni 8:8). In contrast, the Bible teaches that we have sinful nature from birth: "Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me". (Ps 51:5)

The Book of Mormon teaches that the disobedience of Adam and Eve in eating the forbidden fruit was necessary so that they could have children and bring joy to mankind (2 Nephi 2:23-25). Yet the Bible declares that Adam’s transgression was a sinful act of rebellion that unleashed sin and death in the heart and throughout God’s perfect world. (Genesis 3:16-19; Romans 5:12).

The Book of Mormon teaches that black skin is a sign of God’s curse, so that white-skinned people are considered morally and spiritually superior to black skinned people (2 Nephi 5:21). The Bible teaches that God "made of one blood all nations of men" (Acts 17:26).

According to a Book of Mormon prophecy (Helaman 14:27), at the time of Jesus' crucifixion "darkness should cover the face of the whole earth for the space of three days." But the Bible says that there was darkness for only three hours while Jesus was on the cross (Mat 27:45; Mark 15:33; Luke 23:44).

Those are just a few differences. The Bible never mentions Satan and Jesus were brothers, we can become Gods, the Planet Kolab and dozens of other things.

Mormons don't believe Jesus is God. No, they are not Christians. There are so many doctrines and beliefs that do not line up with Scripture, it is hard to know where to start.

all you've essentially said is you've never read the Book of Mormon and dont know what Mormons actually teach

I know exactly what they teach.
Says someone who never read the books or attended the church. LoL. Ok if the bible has everything in it then tell me what happened to Adams first wife in genesis? (Not really a Latter Day Saint question but I was curious what your response is)

What is Mormonism

Mormons believe that when their founder, Joseph Smith, was just 21-years-old, an angel named Moroni gave him ancient records, written on plates of gold, much like the tablets of Moses, when given the Ten Commandments. However, Smith was unable to interpret these writings, apparently due to his illiteracy, and lack of education, so they believe God intervened, giving Joseph the ability translate the message to his scribes. After the encounter with the angel Moroni, Joseph did just that, and The Book of Mormon was written over a period of about three months. [ix]

The great Apostle Paul in his letter to the Galatian’s warns:

I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. (Galatians 1:6-9) (Emphasis added).

The Christian believes that salvation is by grace alone, and not by works, lest anyone boast. We believe this, because the Lord our God, through his great Apostle Paul tells us so.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9)

The last words, spoken by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, while he was perishing from a brutal crucifixion on that old rugged cross were— Tetelestai! Those words echo in the hearts and minds of born again believers in Jesus Christ (John 3:3). This was spoken in His native tongue, the Aramaic language, which literally translates to “it is finished!” Christians not only believe the last words of the Christ, we cling to that promise from God the Son.

Sadly, Mormons believe that the work of Jesus Christ on the cross was not enough to save them. Mormons believe that to gain eternal life, they must add to that atonement by earning their salvation through works.

For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do. (II Nephi 25:23) (Emphasis added).
In this last paragraph of scripture, what does, after all we can do mean?

Is it saying that we try as hard as we can try, (our own good works), but in the end, it is Christ who has saved us because we will still fall short?

And who is it that said, Faith without works, is dead? Was that Paul also?

it is teaching us that we are saved through Christ. And that it is only through Him that we can be saved.

if I wasn't on my phone I would share some examples.

Not exactly.

References Mormon vs Biblical Teachings about Salvation

I know exactly what they teach.
Says someone who never read the books or attended the church. LoL. Ok if the bible has everything in it then tell me what happened to Adams first wife in genesis? (Not really a Latter Day Saint question but I was curious what your response is)

the bible has everything in it needed for salvation and how God wants you to live and treat others. There are a billion things not "in the Bible", of course. But everything a Believer needs is in there.

There is no salvation when you are required to believe in a false prophet with magic stones and underwear.

It's hard to know where you're coming from with this criticism. Are you denying the supernatural altogether? Being Christian means believing that Moses parted the Red Sea, that Jesus raised people from the dead, and that miracles still happen today. So if belief in the supernatural is absurd to you, then it's not just the Mormon church you have a problem with, but all faith in general.

Forum List

Back