Five reasons Christians should read the Book of Mormon

What is Mormonism

Mormons believe that when their founder, Joseph Smith, was just 21-years-old, an angel named Moroni gave him ancient records, written on plates of gold, much like the tablets of Moses, when given the Ten Commandments. However, Smith was unable to interpret these writings, apparently due to his illiteracy, and lack of education, so they believe God intervened, giving Joseph the ability translate the message to his scribes. After the encounter with the angel Moroni, Joseph did just that, and The Book of Mormon was written over a period of about three months. [ix]

The great Apostle Paul in his letter to the Galatian’s warns:

I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. (Galatians 1:6-9) (Emphasis added).

The Christian believes that salvation is by grace alone, and not by works, lest anyone boast. We believe this, because the Lord our God, through his great Apostle Paul tells us so.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9)

The last words, spoken by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, while he was perishing from a brutal crucifixion on that old rugged cross were— Tetelestai! Those words echo in the hearts and minds of born again believers in Jesus Christ (John 3:3). This was spoken in His native tongue, the Aramaic language, which literally translates to “it is finished!” Christians not only believe the last words of the Christ, we cling to that promise from God the Son.

Sadly, Mormons believe that the work of Jesus Christ on the cross was not enough to save them. Mormons believe that to gain eternal life, they must add to that atonement by earning their salvation through works.

For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do. (II Nephi 25:23) (Emphasis added).
In this last paragraph of scripture, what does, after all we can do mean?

Is it saying that we try as hard as we can try, (our own good works), but in the end, it is Christ who has saved us because we will still fall short?

And who is it that said, Faith without works, is dead? Was that Paul also?

NOT one man or woman alive is doing all they can do. That is the point:) Mormons do not believe in Jesus' finished work, His FREE GIFT of salvation. They believe in faith plus works.

Jesus christ. .. don't push your Romney religion on me. I dont want to hear it. Your a mod. Contribute in other ways. Wow...shit.

Thought you should know.... ;)
Moderators are members just like the rest of us and are not censored in what they want to post about.....When they post and contribute with threads, they are not doing so as moderators, but as long time members of this board, before, during, and after being moderators. Only when you see them post in RED INK are they posting on this board as moderators.

Yeah, keep your religion to yourself I'm a non demonational christian and don't want to hear about weird religions. Certainly you got that out of my post, right? You completely ignored it, but whatever.

What is Mormonism

Mormons believe that when their founder, Joseph Smith, was just 21-years-old, an angel named Moroni gave him ancient records, written on plates of gold, much like the tablets of Moses, when given the Ten Commandments. However, Smith was unable to interpret these writings, apparently due to his illiteracy, and lack of education, so they believe God intervened, giving Joseph the ability translate the message to his scribes. After the encounter with the angel Moroni, Joseph did just that, and The Book of Mormon was written over a period of about three months. [ix]

The great Apostle Paul in his letter to the Galatian’s warns:

I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. (Galatians 1:6-9) (Emphasis added).

The Christian believes that salvation is by grace alone, and not by works, lest anyone boast. We believe this, because the Lord our God, through his great Apostle Paul tells us so.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9)

The last words, spoken by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, while he was perishing from a brutal crucifixion on that old rugged cross were— Tetelestai! Those words echo in the hearts and minds of born again believers in Jesus Christ (John 3:3). This was spoken in His native tongue, the Aramaic language, which literally translates to “it is finished!” Christians not only believe the last words of the Christ, we cling to that promise from God the Son.

Sadly, Mormons believe that the work of Jesus Christ on the cross was not enough to save them. Mormons believe that to gain eternal life, they must add to that atonement by earning their salvation through works.

For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do. (II Nephi 25:23) (Emphasis added).
In this last paragraph of scripture, what does, after all we can do mean?

Is it saying that we try as hard as we can try, (our own good works), but in the end, it is Christ who has saved us because we will still fall short?

And who is it that said, Faith without works, is dead? Was that Paul also?

NOT one man or woman alive is doing all they can do. That is the point:) Mormons do not believe in Jesus' finished work, His FREE GIFT of salvation. They believe in faith plus works.
I don't know what Mormons believe so I can't respond to that part, but ''Faith without works is dead....'', the Bible does state this too...

And from my own experience, when I truly got knocked, up side of the head and God finally got to me and woke me up...every little thing that I did wrong, my "bad works", weighed me down with guilt, not because I did not know that I was saved, but because I did know that I was saved by Christ who died for MY sins...and this was such an overwhelming gift which I felt I did not deserve, it changed me...and fewer and fewer "bad works" occurred and more and more good works took over.... I still fall short, but at least I am to the point where my good works outweigh my bad ones....

I am not doing this or changing FOR salvation...to buy salvation in some manner, but BECAUSE of the gift of salvation that I received and was not worthy to receive....it's the least I could do, for this unmerited gift from God....and I am not even saying I am truly the one doing this....I feel God is working within me...one day at a time, little by little, to change me.

Last edited:
Jesus christ. .. don't push your Romney religion on me. I dont want to hear it. Your a mod. Contribute in other ways. Wow...shit.

Moderators are members just like the rest of us and are not censored in what they want to post about.....When they post and contribute with threads, they are not doing so as moderators, but as long time members of this board, before, during, and after being moderators. Only when you see them post in RED INK are they posting on this board as moderators.

Yeah, keep your religion to yourself I'm a non demonational christian and don't want to hear about weird religions. Certainly you got that out of my post, right? You completely ignored it, but whatever.
then don't come in to these kind of threads naturalgas...is that too hard for you?

The problem I have with organized Christianity is that it's spiritually dead. It's dependant on accepting the bible as the word if God. The bible is ancient.

I personally believe the truth is the word of God. And the truth didn't end in 33 A.D.

I am not very familiar with Mormon spirituality. My experience with Mormons was personal most often they seem like nice folks but one experience was incredibly nasty and it's difficult not to let that cloud my judgement. So perhaps I will save my comments because they may be personal and overly biased.

I would like to hear more.

Itchy ears always want to hear more . . . lies.
Tough, in the past thread I spoke to you on, you proved yourself to be incapable of discussion.

Grow up and then maybe I will permit you to hear more.

1) it was written to persuade men to come to Christ.
2) it proves God is active in the world and remembers His covenants.
3) it plainly teaches the Doctrine of Christ and the Father's plan of Happiness.
4) it contains an account of Christ's ministry among the natives.
5) it can bring men closer to God.

there are many additional reasons. But that's the start of my list

So... Trust in Jesus but murder and pillage all you wish? As long as on your death bed you accept Christ but through your life you molested a thousand children, your set?

Seems like the perfect religion for a serial killer.

then don't come in to these kind of threads naturalgas...is that too hard for you?

Cough cough, that's not my name..

3) it plainly teaches the Doctrine of Christ and the Father's plan of Happiness.

So... Trust in Jesus but murder and pillage all you wish? As long as on your death bed you accept Christ but through your life you molested a thousand children, your set?

Eph 2:8;

8For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.…

8For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.…

So like I said, rape murder and pillage to your hearts content just accept Christ and you are golden.

Why do Christians then care about any laws? Why do they preach morals? Why not pillage and steal since there is only one moral to live by?

Too bad it is false. I have a Book of Mormon, somewhere.

Hmm! I have a large library of spiritual and occult books. Including theosophy and scientology and I have concluded most of them are nonsense. But I have never read the book of Mormon. Don't tell me I have missed something.

I've actually tried to read the BOM on a few occasions, but I can't stop laughing.

Ignoring all of the BS and just focusing on the words and sentences, it is obviously written by a young man who has spent a lot of time reading the KJV and is making up a story, trying to duplicate the language of the KJV - but he doesn't quite get it. He throws out words like, "Verily," "Amen I say to thee," but it's all nonsense.

And one wonders why someone living in 1830, New York state, would try to "translate" something from "reformed Egyptian" (a language that has never existed, and makes no sense in context in any event) into the version of English that was spoken in England in the 1600's. It's just silly. When you translate a foreign language into ENGLISH, you translate it into the language that you speak, right now, not some archaic version of English with which you are not really familiar.

But that doesn't address the REAL and OVERWHELMING problem with the BOM. It is provably nonsense! There were no migrations of Semitic people to the America's EVER. There were never any chariots, or cows, or oxen, or camels or iron (other than pig iron) in the America's before the Europeans brought them here. And unfortunately for LDS, we have the science of genetics now, which proves beyond any doubt that the Native Americans are NOT descended from Jews, but rather from Asians.

It is astounding that the LDS church has not simply closed its doors, in the face of scientific evidence that proves Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, Oliver Cowdery, and the whole mess of them to be charlatans, and the BOM to be a complete fraud. The story of the Book of Abraham alone proves that Smith was a complete fraud.

Read the Book of Mormon? Truly, there are better-written and more valuable fantasies around, so that reading the BOM is a total waste of time and effort.

It is pitiful.

I tried reading it, but couldn't get past all the stories of stupidly named people and all their relatives. It just seemed to go on and on rather aimlessly.

So how does it prove that god is active in the world?

Last edited:

Being raised near Palmyra NY, we used to go to the Pageant every year and we had a copy of the Book of Mormon. Tried to read it and I almost dropped dead from boredom.

So like I said, rape murder and pillage to your hearts content just accept Christ and you are golden.

Why do Christians then care about any laws? Why do they preach morals? Why not pillage and steal since there is only one moral to live by?

those are good questions to ask, and it goes back to; Faith, without works, is DEAD.

one would have to presume the person was not in Faith from the get go if they are murdering and robbing and pillaging until their hearts content

no one is forcing you to participate in any thread. I don't see why you feel so threatened by an invitation to read a Book. I'll keep you in my prayers

The problem I have with organized Christianity is that it's spiritually dead. It's dependant on accepting the bible as the word if God. The bible is ancient.

I personally believe the truth is the word of God. And the truth didn't end in 33 A.D.

I am not very familiar with Mormon spirituality. My experience with Mormons was personal most often they seem like nice folks but one experience was incredibly nasty and it's difficult not to let that cloud my judgement. So perhaps I will save my comments because they may be personal and overly biased.

I would like to hear more.

Itchy ears always want to hear more . . . lies.
Tough, in the past thread I spoke to you on, you proved yourself to be incapable of discussion.

Grow up and then maybe I will permit you to hear more.

:lmao:

Nonsense. You're the silly little boy who believes God exists but doesn't know why you believe God exists.

no one is forcing you to participate in any thread. I don't see why you feel so threatened by an invitation to read a Book. I'll keep you in my prayers
This is where I say blow me. However, im feeling the holiday spirit as a Christian and will just say dont promote your religion using this board by promoting a book. If you want to talk about Mormon ism then that's different.

So much hate amongst the supposed followers of YHWH/ God/ Allah/ Adonai/ Jehova/ Elohim...

So much mindless hate...

Especially Christians...

And so many of you consider yourself worthy of the "Kingdom of God".

So many Roads leading to the same Destination, all worshipping the same God, yet still, people would rather spread hate against those who pursue a Path to God through a different Gateway than the one that they themselves have walked through.

They end up falling off their Path because of all that Hate.

Last edited:
I think all messages, angels giving direction, etc ended when Jesus was murdered. Anything after that is just what mankind keeps seeking....some kind of confirmation.

If I were God, I would not want to talk to us any more either.

then half the New Testament is a fraud since it was revealed after Christ was killed. And the Apostles lied when they said the Holy Ghost came to them on Pentecost.

the resurrection of Christ was the beginning of the good news being preached with power. Not the end of it.

God loves us. He isn't going to be silent because our forefathers rejected Him.

Forum List

Back