Five reasons Christians should read the Book of Mormon

The problem I have with organized Christianity is that it's spiritually dead. It's dependant on accepting the bible as the word if God. The bible is ancient.

I personally believe the truth is the word of God. And the truth didn't end in 33 A.D.

I am not very familiar with Mormon spirituality. My experience with Mormons was personal most often they seem like nice folks but one experience was incredibly nasty and it's difficult not to let that cloud my judgement. So perhaps I will save my comments because they may be personal and overly biased.

I would like to hear more.

I'm sorry for any negative experiences you may have had. We are not perfect people. Some can be very bad, in fact.

we testify that the Book of Mormon is scripture along with the Bible and we have it as part of our canon along with other revelations God has given us in mercy. We believe that God can reveal His will to men according to His pleasure and that revelation has not ceased simply.because men have said God cannot say more.

we also invite all men and women to study the scriptures including the Book of Mormon for themselves. The Book of Mormon has a promise from the Lord that those who read it and ask the Lord if it's true will learn they it is by the power of the Holy Ghost. I don't know of any other book that has this explicit promise from God.

read the Book of Mormon for yourself and ask the Lord whether it's true. I did and it changed my life for the better

1) it was written to persuade men to come to Christ.
2) it proves God is active in the world and remembers His covenants.
3) it plainly teaches the Doctrine of Christ and the Father's plan of Happiness.
4) it contains an account of Christ's ministry among the natives.
5) it can bring men closer to God.

there are many additional reasons. But that's the start of my list

So... Trust in Jesus but murder and pillage all you wish? As long as on your death bed you accept Christ but through your life you molested a thousand children, your set?

Seems like the perfect religion for a serial killer.

Eph 2:8;

8For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.…

So like I said, rape murder and pillage to your hearts content just accept Christ and you are golden.

Why do Christians then care about any laws? Why do they preach morals? Why not pillage and steal since there is only one moral to live by?

those are good questions to ask, and it goes back to; Faith, without works, is DEAD.

one would have to presume the person was not in Faith from the get go if they are murdering and robbing and pillaging until their hearts content

You need to watch the video. Faith without actsis exactly what they are promoting. Kirk Camron's brand of Christianity is insanely contradictory. But most Christians don't live by that dogma.

The problem I have with organized Christianity is that it's spiritually dead. It's dependant on accepting the bible as the word if God. The bible is ancient.

I personally believe the truth is the word of God. And the truth didn't end in 33 A.D.

I am not very familiar with Mormon spirituality. My experience with Mormons was personal most often they seem like nice folks but one experience was incredibly nasty and it's difficult not to let that cloud my judgement. So perhaps I will save my comments because they may be personal and overly biased.

Itchy ears always want to hear more . . . lies.
Tough, in the past thread I spoke to you on, you proved yourself to be incapable of discussion.

Grow up and then maybe I will permit you to hear more.

:lmao:

Nonsense. You're the silly little boy who believes God exists but doesn't know why you believe God exists.
See what I mean?

"Are we not men?"

I'm sorry for any negative experiences you may have had. We are not perfect people. Some can be very bad, in fact.

we testify that the Book of Mormon is scripture along with the Bible and we have it as part of our canon along with other revelations God has given us in mercy. We believe that God can reveal His will to men according to His pleasure and that revelation has not ceased simply.because men have said God cannot say more.

we also invite all men and women to study the scriptures including the Book of Mormon for themselves. The Book of Mormon has a promise from the Lord that those who read it and ask the Lord if it's true will learn they it is by the power of the Holy Ghost. I don't know of any other book that has this explicit promise from God.

read the Book of Mormon for yourself and ask the Lord whether it's true. I did and it changed my life for the better
In all reality, I know that I am biased based on one experience. I know that is the exception and not the rule, but it has clouded my judgement of Mormonism, though I try not to engage in disrespecting somebody's religion, it's very difficult to over look that experience.

It isn't fair to indict the Mormon church for it so that is best left to private messages which I invite but only with Mormons. Because you understand your faith better.

I do believe that most of what we learn of God doesn't come from biblical review but from experience, and that truth is the word of God. InThat regard I am a bit of a Taoist. And I hold nothing against Mormons for believing in profits after Christ.

I likely will not be reading the book of Mormon, there is no way I could ever be part of their religion, and truth isn't found by reading books alone.

I think all messages, angels giving direction, etc ended when Jesus was murdered. Anything after that is just what mankind keeps seeking....some kind of confirmation.

If I were God, I would not want to talk to us any more either.

then half the New Testament is a fraud since it was revealed after Christ was killed. And the Apostles lied when they said the Holy Ghost came to them on Pentecost.

the resurrection of Christ was the beginning of the good news being preached with power. Not the end of it.

God loves us. He isn't going to be silent because our forefathers rejected Him.
It's been 2000+ years since God walked with man or even corresponded via angels, etc. He has indeed been silent.
Unless we are to believe every person who claims they are His prophet...which has cause much division, pain, death in His name.

I tried to read the book of Mormon. I got about as far with it as I did the bible.

Personally...in my opinion only...I think the path to God and His to us is..unique and personal. For each individual. Not some organized religion.

I am not going to read the book of Mormons, unless Mormons start crashing planes into buildings. Because that is the only reason I bothered to read the Quran, and having read it I started condemning it as bunk. From what I have read about the book of Mormons in post 2 of this thread, I have no doubt that if I read it I would find it too is bunk.

odd position to take. However that's your right. Seems to me you are rewarding bad behavior though.

which viewpoint on God do you think is more likely to be correct, the one that teaches people to fly into buildings to dominate others or the one that invites you to humbly come and learn for yourself from God?

3) it plainly teaches the Doctrine of Christ and the Father's plan of Happiness.

Too bad it is false. I have a Book of Mormon, somewhere.

My frank assessment is that Joseph Smith was a con man who used Jesus as bait to draw men to Joseph Smith. The ministry among the natives has been shown to be false. However...Look what happens when, for whatever reasons, Jesus Christ is brought into the mix of questionable motives. Great things happen. That the Church with these beginnings is a great and faith follower of Christ tells a powerful story of just how active and powerful God is in the world.

I agree the LDS Church teaches the New Testament, the doctrine of Christ. It also adds some of the Joseph Smith imaginings--and some of those I am not too fond of. There is no question that Jesus Christ, through the LDS Church, has brought men closer to God, which tells me that doctrines added by Joseph Smith--even if they are shown to be false/wrong--do not trouble God. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (although I see the Trinity differently than do the people of the LDS faith) is clearly present in the Church of Jesus Christ and the Latter Day Saints.

I am interested in the continued presentation of your list. As you see, we are not going to agree on everything, but I am of the opinion the Mormon faith is worthy of time and study. Good topic, refreshing among some others, I might add.

I read it once.

Didn't do a thing for me.

did you inquire of the Lord whether it was true?

that's not what the Spirit told me. I invite you to read it. You'll find yourself reading the words of Christ

What is Mormonism

Mormons believe that when their founder, Joseph Smith, was just 21-years-old, an angel named Moroni gave him ancient records, written on plates of gold, much like the tablets of Moses, when given the Ten Commandments. However, Smith was unable to interpret these writings, apparently due to his illiteracy, and lack of education, so they believe God intervened, giving Joseph the ability translate the message to his scribes. After the encounter with the angel Moroni, Joseph did just that, and The Book of Mormon was written over a period of about three months. [ix]

The great Apostle Paul in his letter to the Galatian’s warns:

I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. (Galatians 1:6-9) (Emphasis added).

The Christian believes that salvation is by grace alone, and not by works, lest anyone boast. We believe this, because the Lord our God, through his great Apostle Paul tells us so.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9)

The last words, spoken by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, while he was perishing from a brutal crucifixion on that old rugged cross were— Tetelestai! Those words echo in the hearts and minds of born again believers in Jesus Christ (John 3:3). This was spoken in His native tongue, the Aramaic language, which literally translates to “it is finished!” Christians not only believe the last words of the Christ, we cling to that promise from God the Son.

Sadly, Mormons believe that the work of Jesus Christ on the cross was not enough to save them. Mormons believe that to gain eternal life, they must add to that atonement by earning their salvation through works.

For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do. (II Nephi 25:23) (Emphasis added).
In this last paragraph of scripture, what does, after all we can do mean?

Is it saying that we try as hard as we can try, (our own good works), but in the end, it is Christ who has saved us because we will still fall short?

And who is it that said, Faith without works, is dead? Was that Paul also?

it is teaching us that we are saved through Christ. And that it is only through Him that we can be saved.

if I wasn't on my phone I would share some examples.

that's not what the Spirit told me. I invite you to read it. You'll find yourself reading the words of Christ
I have read it, gave me a headache, I read the truth, the Bible.

What is Mormonism

Mormons believe that when their founder, Joseph Smith, was just 21-years-old, an angel named Moroni gave him ancient records, written on plates of gold, much like the tablets of Moses, when given the Ten Commandments. However, Smith was unable to interpret these writings, apparently due to his illiteracy, and lack of education, so they believe God intervened, giving Joseph the ability translate the message to his scribes. After the encounter with the angel Moroni, Joseph did just that, and The Book of Mormon was written over a period of about three months. [ix]

The great Apostle Paul in his letter to the Galatian’s warns:

I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. (Galatians 1:6-9) (Emphasis added).

The Christian believes that salvation is by grace alone, and not by works, lest anyone boast. We believe this, because the Lord our God, through his great Apostle Paul tells us so.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9)

The last words, spoken by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, while he was perishing from a brutal crucifixion on that old rugged cross were— Tetelestai! Those words echo in the hearts and minds of born again believers in Jesus Christ (John 3:3). This was spoken in His native tongue, the Aramaic language, which literally translates to “it is finished!” Christians not only believe the last words of the Christ, we cling to that promise from God the Son.

Sadly, Mormons believe that the work of Jesus Christ on the cross was not enough to save them. Mormons believe that to gain eternal life, they must add to that atonement by earning their salvation through works.

For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do. (II Nephi 25:23) (Emphasis added).
In this last paragraph of scripture, what does, after all we can do mean?

Is it saying that we try as hard as we can try, (our own good works), but in the end, it is Christ who has saved us because we will still fall short?

And who is it that said, Faith without works, is dead? Was that Paul also?

it is teaching us that we are saved through Christ. And that it is only through Him that we can be saved.

if I wasn't on my phone I would share some examples.
If you know what you have read is truth than why would you want to bicker about it here?

Mormons believe that although Jesus and his apostles had God’s Word in their hands (i.e., the Old Testament), much of it has since been corrupted and, therefore, is not trustworthy. Is this true? Let’s look at the evidence which consists of the Hebrew text which has been passed on for over one thousand years known as the Masoretic text, the Dead Sea Scrolls, ancient versions, and Old Testament verses cited in the New Testament.

1) Masoretic Text. The text of the Old Testament used by translators of the Bible is referred to as the Masoretic text, named after the Masoretes who meticulously copied and edited the text between A.D. 600-1000.
2) Dead Sea Scrolls. In 1946, hundreds of scrolls and fragments were found in eleven caves in northern Israel. Texts from every book of the Old Testament were found, with the lone exception of Esther. Of most importance are two Isaiah scrolls, which are dated between 200-50 B.C. One of them has been wonderfully preserved and contains the book of Isaiah in its entirety. When this text of Isaiah was compared to the book of Isaiah in the Masoretic text, there was nearly a 100% correlation between the two, which indicated that the Hebrew text has been marvellously preserved from a time before Jesus until the present.
3) Ancient Versions. Two ancient versions are helpful when comparing them to the Hebrew text: the Septuagint and the Samaritan Pentateuch. The Septuagint was the Greek translation of the Old Testament used in Jesus’ day and is quoted many times by the New Testament writers. If you were to translate the Septuagint back into Hebrew, the similarity to the Masoretic Text is striking. The Samaritan Pentateuch is the first five books of the Bible which were used by the Samaritans, a group of Jews which permanently separated themselves from the general Jewish population around 500 B.C. Again the similarities to the Masoretic Text are striking.
4) Old Testament verses in the New Testament. The writers of the New Testament cite verses from the Old Testament a total of 330 times![8] Most of these citations are from the Septuagint. Others are from the Hebrew texts. Once again there is an incredible correlation to the Old Testament that we have today.

Even scholars who do not believe the Bible refuse to levy the charge that the Bible has been corrupted over the years

How close can we get to a pure text? Approximately 90% of the text of the Old Testament is without any variation, regardless of the textual tradition.[9] Within the remaining 10%, the variances are insignificant, none of which affect any biblical doctrine. Most can be eliminated when certain errors are detected: obvious slips of the pen, an inadequate knowledge of the Hebrew language on the part of the translator,[10] partisan thinking,[11] and different dialects.[12] Therefore, when proper textual criticism isconducted, a text with a purity exceeding 95% results. The remaining uncertainties mostly amount to a simple discrepancy in word order.

Therefore, when the evidence is considered, we can confidently assert that the Bible in our possession today, both the Old and New Testaments, is a pure and trustworthy text we can rely on. Even scholars who do not believe the Bible refuse to levy the charge that the Bible has been corrupted over the years resulting in a text which we cannot be certain of. The Bible is a text which has been preserved with amazing accuracy, far better than any other work of antiquity.

What to say to Mormons - 2. The Bible is Reliable - bethinking.org

Just Christians? Well considering that most United States Christians have never read the bible that would be a huge feat. Countless times I have heard "Christians" talking about Christianity and asked them a few questions and realized they have no idea what they are talking about.

Doctrine and convenant, pearl of great price, book of Moroni. Yeah read them. Totally disappointing though, well at least their service was. All it was was a bunch of people testifying how they know it was true yadda yadda yadda. It got to a point people seemed to be trying to outdo the other one in the testimony. Sigh. That was disappointing and the fact they never really talked about the church Moroni or anything. it was all testimony. But I have been to other churches and seen similar things. But I drew the line when the bishop started asking me personal questions. Do you masterbate and things like that. I was like really dude? When someone comes across holier then thou And they want to know your secrets, it seems bs to me, they are human to, so why would I talk to another person about that stuff geesh! The only time Jesus went to a church "temple" he trashed it. I realize some people need church to socialize, and be with like minded people but I find that boring....I think you do to and that's why you come to a message bored lol.

And I still do not understand marrying dead people.....seems cray cray! Cus some people should never be together even if you believe in an afterlife and since there is no procreation don't see the point....unless that is something you need to become a god? And getting married is like receiving a waiver in the afterlife...strange. But most Latter Day Saints are cool though. I always invite elders in but they seldom come back.

Just Christians? Well considering that most United States Christians have never read the bible that would be a huge feat. Countless times I have heard "Christians" talking about Christianity and asked them a few questions and realized they have no idea what they are talking about.

Doctrine and convenant, pearl of great price, book of Moroni. Yeah read them. Totally disappointing though, well at least their service was. All it was was a bunch of people testifying how they know it was true yadda yadda yadda. It got to a point people seemed to be trying to outdo the other one in the testimony. Sigh. That was disappointing and the fact they never really talked about the church Moroni or anything. it was all testimony. But I have been to other churches and seen similar things. But I drew the line when the bishop started asking me personal questions. Do you masterbate and things like that. I was like really dude? When someone comes across holier then thou And they want to know your secrets, it seems bs to me, they are human to, so why would I talk to another person about that stuff geesh! The only time Jesus went to a church "temple" he trashed it. I realize some people need church to socialize, and be with like minded people but I find that boring....I think you do to and that's why you come to a message bored lol.

And I still do not understand marrying dead people.....seems cray cray! Cus some people should never be together even if you believe in an afterlife and since there is no procreation don't see the point....unless that is something you need to become a god? And getting married is like receiving a waiver in the afterlife...strange. But most Latter Day Saints are cool though. I always invite elders in but they seldom come back.

Mormons are not Christians.

l

Lol, wow nice people that help communities and believe in Jesus and read the bible as well. Ok whatever I guess you "Christians" can claim the snake handlers and the bakers. Guess you have to steal from the poor and brain wash the flock before Christians will accept you into their fold. Count me out then dude! All Christianity is about money and control. One thing I do like about Latter Day Saints is that the believe in free will. If Christians had their way there would be no free will. Although Latter Day Saint limit free will so there is some hypocrisy in there with them as well.

Forum List

Back