Flash Flood on I5 in California. No doubt our resident sheep will claim "global warming!"

Got one ready to hit here any minute. Third this year.

Betcha those Cali weather critters are all going bananas over rain. They'll be talking about all the toddlers who have NEVER seen rain in their entire lives tonight... :cuckoo:
Er...no.

Happened every time a drought broke when I was out there. Interviewing little kids who had never got to play in the rain before. Kinda cute -- but cheesy journalism..

This particular mud slide on the Grapevine you can chalk up to the drought killing ground cover so nothing to hold the top layer when the rains came yesterday.

Nope. You can chalk it up to the fact that the whole region is shattered rock due to the fact that the San Andreas Fault transits the Grapevine region. It's called the "Big Bend" and further the strata in the area are tilted up beyond the angle of repose in many areas. Flash floods are common as dirt and the current drought has no bearing on the flooding going on.
Well, it's interesting that you think that considering that it rains/snows every winter up there but rarely...yes rarely..has such mud slides on the 5. You are most likely to hear about mudslides the winter of a big fire after the ground cover is burned off......or in Malibu where they seem to have mud slides all the time in the winter.

But, as anyone who actually has lived in the region knows this is a normal occurrence. It is after all a DESERT. What happens in deserts? Yep...flash floods.

Carry on!
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available
The Grapevine isn't a desert...it's the mountains.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Might want to check your facts there bucko... Average precip for most of the grapevine area is under 10 inches annually.

The average precipitation for Lake Elizabeth where the slides occurred is 16.31 annually. Los Angeles by extension, has an annual rainfall of 14.93 and if it were not for the San Gabriel Mountains and the Angeles National Forest, which have elevations from 1,200 to 10,040ft it too would be a desert. So, the mountains are actually the demarcation line of where the desert begins and the annual precipitation throughout the mountainous areas exceeds the definition of desert.

But, as anyone who actually has lived in the region knows this is a normal occurrence. It is after all a DESERT. What happens in deserts? Yep...flash floods.

Carry on!

Might want to check your facts there bucko... Average precip for most of the grapevine area is under 10 inches annually.

The average precipitation for Lake Elizabeth where the slides occurred is 16.31 annually. Los Angeles by extension, has an annual rainfall of 14.93 and if it were not for the San Gabriel Mountains and the Angeles National Forest, which have elevations from 1,200 to 10,040ft it too would be a desert. So, the mountains are actually the demarcation line of where the desert begins and the annual precipitation throughout the mountainous areas exceeds the definition of desert.

Yes, Lebec ( a little town on the Grapevine) averages 12.9 inches. Most of the Tejon ranch however averages 10 or less. The Tejon Ranch encompasses MOST of that whole mountainous area.

That whole area is the demarcation from desert to coast range. As such the washes and rivers from the desert areas flow into it and through it to the eventual destination which is of course the ocean. The Grapevine feeds down into a couple of reservoirs on one side, then to the Piru area and hits the river which then deposits it into the ocean by Ventura. On the other side it drops down into the Central Valley where the majority of it is used up in agriculture or evaporates away. On the northwest side (the Frazier Mountain side) it transits Lockwood Valley into the Ventucopa area then follows along the highway and eventually reaches the ocean by Santa Maria.

Last edited:
This particular mud slide on the Grapevine you can chalk up to the drought killing ground cover so nothing to hold the top layer when the rains came yesterday.

Nope. You can chalk it up to the fact that the whole region is shattered rock due to the fact that the San Andreas Fault transits the Grapevine region. It's called the "Big Bend" and further the strata in the area are tilted up beyond the angle of repose in many areas. Flash floods are common as dirt and the current drought has no bearing on the flooding going on.
Well, it's interesting that you think that considering that it rains/snows every winter up there but rarely...yes rarely..has such mud slides on the 5. You are most likely to hear about mudslides the winter of a big fire after the ground cover is burned off......or in Malibu where they seem to have mud slides all the time in the winter.

Please refer back to this link (which I posted in post #14) for the entirely normal and natural cycle of events.

Natural History of Fire and Flood Cycles

Please refer back to this link (which I posted in post #14) for the entirely normal and natural cycle of events.

That's nice. However that area is mountain, not desert.

Right at the edge. One side of the mountain (quite literally) is desert, the other is classified as savannah. Both are water deficient.

I will carry on.. Neither flood, nor mud nor drought nor fire will keep me from my appointed rounds.. :cool-45:

Poor OldSocks -- That drought map is about to turn all yellow.. :crybaby:
ummm..... weather =/= climate. :eusa_eh:

I'm not the one that needs to know that equation.. It's OldRocks who claims every weather event is related to Climate Change. He will reel a list of this year's weather events that were ALL caused by a 0.5deg change in Global Average Temperature in your lifetime..

Right at the edge. One side of the mountain (quite literally) is desert, the other is classified as savannah. Both are water deficient.
That's nice...still in the mountains is where the mudslide occurred.

Carry on!

Yes, Lebec ( a little town on the Grapevine) averages 12.9 inches. Most of the Tejon ranch however averages 10 or less. The Tejon Ranch encompasses MOST of that whole mountainous area.

The slides occurred in the Lake Elizabeth area off the 14 freeway quite a distance from the Tejon Ranch,
750x422

regional-map.jpg

As you can see from map #2 the distance from the slides and Tejon Ranch is substantial and frankly completely different climates. Drivers describe long night on road as mudslides engulf nearly 200 vehicles

Last edited:
So sometimes CO2 causes forest fires, other times flash flooding; no wonder the low information Progs base stands in awe of it

CO2 causes: Floods and forest fires.

Can anyone provide an explanation that won't make us laugh out loud?

California needs a good washing.

If only it could rain bleach for a couple of days THEN bring on the downpour.

I know the feeling. When South Carolina had its 11 trillion gallon flood, I thought it would clean out all the Republicans. Turns out you really do need that bleach.

So is SC Climate now permanently different? Are you predicting another 1,000 year flood for SC next year?

I know the feeling. When South Carolina had its 11 trillion gallon flood, I thought it would clean out all the Republicans. Turns out you really do need that bleach.

So is SC Climate now permanently different? Are you predicting another 1,000 year flood for SC next year?

I have no idea, but if they do have another, how many more would they have to have for you to have a change of opinion?

I have no idea, but if they do have another, how many more would they have to have for you to have a change of opinion?

I have a fairly high threshold for that. For example, here's a satellite image of where the CO2 actually resides. Notice any pattern?

mainco2mappia18934.jpg

I have a fairly high threshold for that. For example, here's a satellite image of where the CO2 actually resides. Notice any pattern?

mainco2mappia18934.jpg

I have no idea where you're going with this. What relationship are you assigning the South Carolina event to CO2? Your graph is entertaining but seems to disregard the other seasons

Fig1_CO_maps.gif

mainco2mappia18934.jpg

I have no idea where you're going with this. What relationship are you assigning the South Carolina event to CO2? Your graph is entertaining but seems to disregard the other seasons

Fig1_CO_maps.gif

Ummmm, that's a graph for the carbon MONOXIDE in the atmosphere. Try again.

Forum List

Back