Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis To Sign Bill Banning Social Media ‘Deplatforming’

republicans strike again. Now they are taking first amendment rights from social media.

They are regulating the internet. And violating the first amendment to do it. They are also violating section 230 of the communications decency act.

What happened to their screaming that business owners have the right to decide who they serve or do business with? That was a lie too.

They are showing that their hate for regulations was all a lie. They love regulating business just not in a responsible way.

Their beliefs are of convenience not real beliefs.

Right wingers are pretty good at practicing the abomination of hypocrisy (unto God). Why should anyone believe them in abortion threads.

WTF

Mix a little LSD into your crack this morning? :eek:
Not enough morals on the right wing to around to even understand the concept?

The First Amendment protects the people’s right to free speech from government excess and overreach; the right to free speech concerns solely the relationship between government and those governed, not between or among private persons and private entities, such as social media.

Private social media cannot ‘violate’ anyone’s free speech – only government has the potential of doing so.

Laws and measures enacted by government forcing social media to allow participation don’t ‘protect’ anyone’s ‘free speech’ because social media are incapable of ‘violating’ free speech to begin with; such measures violate social medias’ First Amendment right to freedom of association.

You should talk to a lawyer someday...

The tech fascists operate under the guise of public access. If they want to be publishers, they may. However under the protections of public access, they are compelled to provide an equal platform governed by stated guidelines.

The tech fascists don't, as we know - they promote the Reich and silence any and all opposition to your Reich. In doing so they violate the law and must lose all protections granted under section 230.

Under section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, tech platforms have immunity from lawsuits arising out of their decisions to host (or not to to host) user-generated content. Unlike publishers, which are liable if their writers defame someone, a tech platform is not held liable for content created by its users.

Look, you know nothing of law or the application of law, but if the tech fascists want to promote the Reich, then they are publishers like WaPo and the NY Times.
We need an InfoTainment category and perjury against the People laws.

Twitter and Facebook should open or buy a theme park in Florida b/c doing so grants you a special exemption from the bill.

The pedos should form a pedoparty, so they can sue under Florida for banning political pedospeech.

Oh wait, that's not necessary. We already have the GOP. That was probably the ultimate intent of the law.

republicans strike again. Now they are taking first amendment rights from social media.

They are regulating the internet. And violating the first amendment to do it. They are also violating section 230 of the communications decency act.

What happened to their screaming that business owners have the right to decide who they serve or do business with? That was a lie too.

They are showing that their hate for regulations was all a lie. They love regulating business just not in a responsible way.

That's a first amendment violation. It won't stand.

I hope it won't but this is Florida.

The state with a Supreme Court that ruled that Fox News has a first amendment right to lie and fire employees who refuse to lie.

This will likely get struck down by the courts. Also, it’s a violation of association rights, business rights, and property rights, but those don’t matter to those that only pay lip service to those principles anyway.
human rights come before those,,
You think you have a human right to a social media account? How hilariously entitled. :lol:
equal treatment,,
When you get banned here be sure to whine bout yer civil rights they like that here.

This site is owned and run by trump people.

I would be extremely shocked if any trump person got banned from this site.

I guess DeSantis wants there to not only be a right to be nutty, but a right to be nutty in a public forum. What's next? Are Floridians going to have to accept nutty people yelling on street corners from now on?
Of course, the issue doesn’t concern a public forum, where one indeed has a right to be a nut.

The issue concerns a private forum, such as social media, where no such right exists; and where private social media are at liberty to exclude whomever they wish for whatever reason.

What DeSantis is doing, typical of most on the dishonest right, is engaging in bad-faith political theater, pandering to the base, seeking to further divide residents of Florida, for some perceived partisan advantage.

DeSantis knows, and has likely been told by legal advisors, that such a measure is unenforceable and likely un-Constitutional; that should the State attempt to ‘fine’ FB, for example, FB would continue to remove members who violate the rules and terms of use and file suit in Federal court to enjoin the penalty and have it invalidated on First Amendment grounds.

Indeed, that’s exactly what Republicans are seeking: a court battle, where they can use the judiciary to advance lies about FB and engage in unwarranted, baseless attacks against the social media platform.

Perhaps.

But Constitutionally protected, nonetheless.

Twitter didn’t want to facilitate Trump’s reckless, irresponsible, and incendiary lies; in accordance with the First Amendment right to freedom of association, it prohibited Trump from participating – and appropriately so.

That Trump may have been a sitting president is irrelevant.

Really Saul?

Let's see where the Constitution protects the "right" of censorship of opposing political ideas?

Remember;

Public accommodations in the United States - Wikipedia

AND of course the act deals with in-kind contributions by the tech fascists.
You’re a rightist who incorrectly perceives social media as ‘discriminating’ against your fellow rightists – you’re angry and it makes you want to ‘do something’ about it.

You are, of course, wrong.

Rightists are not being ‘discriminated’ against, ‘canceled,’ or otherwise ‘silenced’ by social media – the notion is a lie; no rightist is having his free speech ‘violated’ by social media.

That you believe such wrongheaded nonsense doesn’t give conservatives license to violate the First Amendment rights of private social media.

Florida Man

I'm thinking youre a little confused how the 1st A works,,,
Nope. You are.
and yet you failed to explain why I'm wrong,,

the 1st is meant for the people not companies,,

Not according to our conservative Supreme Court.

They ruled on that years ago. Where were you?

Corporations are people. They have the same rights as we human beings.

I know all the conservatives cheered the ruling of citizen's united.

I didn't. I could see what was coming down the road. Which is something that I've noticed that conservatives don't do. Consider the future and the consequences because of their actions.

So if you have a problem with companies legally being treated the same as people, take it to the conservatives you support. They are the ones who declared that companies are people and give them more rights than human beings.

Nope. You are.

I didn't. I could see what was coming down the road. Which is something that I've noticed that conservatives don't do. Consider the future and the consequences because of their actions.

So if you have a problem with companies legally being treated the same as people, take it to the conservatives you support. They are the ones who declared that companies are people and give them more rights than human beings.
thats a spin,, and a conservative court is not a constitutional court and made a bad call there,,
in this case the company has special protections so that they are protected from the things they are banning,, take away those protections and I have no problem with what they are doing,,

This site is owned and run by trump people.

I would be extremely shocked if any trump person got banned from this site.
*blink*blink*

Holy shit. A new low of stupid. Just when I think you can't lower yourself any more... There you go.

Nope. You are.

Mitt Romney "Corporations are people my friend"

Not that it makes your comment less nonsensical.
The 1st is meant for the government.
Does not say what people or corporations or businesses can or cannot do.
Only the government

You've a complete failure to understand either the meaning or intent of the 1st.

I mean considering that their whole job is to protect and implement a document made 200+ years ago... How long has the Supreme Court been conservative?

I disagree with that ruling. Mitt actually said this himself, and one of the many reasons why I hate him.

I don't know about conservatives... But I didn't. I personally don't think companies should be able to give money to PACs or politicians in any way. But... That's me.

No... I don't think you do. You might try to do that... But guess what? You're fuck'n stupid.

You must have been a drop dead gorgeous woman in your hey day to have the confidence today to say the morbidly stupid shit you do.

Mmm... So we are in agreement? We should be able to sue social media?

It was only a matter of time. Yes, Facebook and Twitter are private companies, the problem is, when they become so big and powerful where they can influence elections, and what millions of people see in the news, it was bound to happen that someone would want to rein them in.

Don't be surprised if, when the repubs take over again, there isn't talks of anti trust action. Especially after Amazon removed the competition from their servers. Yes, its is their servers and they have the right to disallow anyone from using them. The problem is when you stifle competition, you open yourself up for lawsuits.

You can be sure if some billionaire came out and set up a service that was a real threat to AWS, Amazon would have their lawyers all over it trying to shut it down.

Nope. You are.

Mitt Romney "Corporations are people my friend"

Not that it makes your comment less nonsensical.
The 1st is meant for the government.
Does not say what people or corporations or businesses can or cannot do.
Only the government

You've a complete failure to understand either the meaning or intent of the 1st.
mitt romneys an idiot,,

and actually this isnt even about the first A,, its about equal protection,, and if a company gets special protects they are subject to other controls,,

Nope. You are.

thats a spin,, and a conservative court is not a constitutional court and made a bad call there,,
in this case the company has special protections so that they are protected from the things they are banning,, take away those protections and I have no problem with what they are doing,,
Conservative Supreme Court.

Forum List

Back