Florida Senate, on a 23-16 vote, just passed legislation ending Disney’s tax privilege, self-governing power & special exemption status

They were basically paying themselves and collecting from any other business they let on their property.

No they were not. They were paying the property taxes to the counties the land is in. Those counties will not get a dime more in property taxes. But they will get a billion dollars in bond debt.

They were basically paying themselves and collecting from any other business they let on their property.

The property appraiser’s office assessed the 2020 value of the Magic Kingdom at $507 million, Epcot at $553 million, Hollywood Studios at $540 million, and Animal Kingdom at $437 million, according to the newest round of lawsuits. That led to property tax bills totaling $7.2 million for Epcot and $6.6 million for the Magic Kingdom, according to receipts Disney provided in court documents. Disney also paid $7 million and $5.7 million in property taxes for Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom in 2020.

No they were not. They were paying the property taxes to the counties the land is in. Those counties will not get a dime more in property taxes. But they will get a billion dollars in bond debt.
Nope, not how it’s going to work out. I am surprised at how fiscally responsible you’re trying to be. Can every business get this kind of cut out?

They do, and florida should not punish them for speaking out, but,.when they start saying they are going to wield their influence to leverage politicians and change laws, then we have a problem..
It's only a problem because you apparently just now discovered major corporations have been wielding money and power to leverage politicians and change laws since the inception of our Republic.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at your stunning ignorance and lack of critical thinking.

Nope, not how it’s going to work out. I am surprised at how fiscally responsible you’re trying to be. Can every business get this kind of cut out?

Yes that is how it is going to work out. By Florida law the counties taking over get the assets and the liabilities. Right now the liabilities are more than a billion dollars in bonds Disney gave out to pay for things like roads and water treatment plant and the like. Those all become the problem for two counties if this bill holds till next year.

There are 6 others areas like this in Florida and any business could have asked for it. It is not unique to Disney nor to Florida

The government isn’t punishing dissent.
That's exactly and precisely what they're doing. Disney is accused of no crime, yet they are being penalized by the government. They're being penalized because they said they'd work to repeal the law. Do you have any idea the can of worms that will open up? Jesus - think it through. These populists are leading you all off a cliff.. You're advocating government that makes it illegal to disagree with the government. It's hard to NOT have a totalitarian state at that point.
Do you or do you not want 5 year olds to be subjected to ...
Of course not. That's one of the reasons I took my kids out of public schools. But that's not where I'm disagreeing with Florida. I don't know that much about the so-called "Don't Say Gay" law, and my only real opposition to it is that I think it should be dealt with at the local level and not centralized at the state level. But people have a right to control what their kids are exposed to. Children aren't public property. So, I disagree with Disney on the issue of the law and their effort to repeal it.

But to penalize someone or some company for disagreeing with the current regime? I don't know how you rationalize that to yourself. It's the essence of tyranny.

You are a moron. Disney levies property taxes on its own property to the tune of $169 million per year. They will no longer be able to do that, the county will…..at the valuation the county puts on the properties.

The property appraiser’s office assessed the 2020 value of the Magic Kingdom at $507 million, Epcot at $553 million, Hollywood Studios at $540 million, and Animal Kingdom at $437 million, according to the newest round of lawsuits. That led to property tax bills totaling $7.2 million for Epcot and $6.6 million for the Magic Kingdom, according to receipts Disney provided in court documents. Disney also paid $7 million and $5.7 million in property taxes for Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom in 2020.
….and $169 million to itself.

You are a moron. Disney levies property taxes on its own property to the tune of $169 million per year. They will no longer be able to do that, the county will…..at the valuation the county puts on the properties.
One billion in debt service...

Yes that is how it is going to work out. By Florida law the counties taking over get the assets and the liabilities. Right now the liabilities are more than a billion dollars in bonds Disney gave out to pay for things like roads and water treatment plant and the like. Those all become the problem for two counties if this bill holds till next year.

There are 6 others areas like this in Florida and any business could have asked for it. It is not unique to Disney nor to Florida
If you’re trying to tell me a business is far more efficient than the government you’ll need to argue with someone else.

Forum List

Back