Florida Woman Sentenced 20 Years For Firing Warning Shot...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
What a sad sad travesty.

"Yeah, I was gonna slap her around a little like I do all my baby-mommas"
-Her ex-husband

And yet...

A Florida woman who fired warning shots against her allegedly abusive husband has been sentenced to 20 years in prison.

Marissa Alexander of Jacksonville had said the state's "Stand Your Ground" law should apply to her because she was defending herself against her allegedly abusive husband when she fired warning shots inside her home in August 2010. She told police it was to escape a brutal beating by her husband, against whom she had already taken out a protective order.

CBS Affiliate WETV reports that Circuit Court Judge James Daniel handed down the sentence Friday.

Under Florida's mandatory minimum sentencing requirements Alexander couldn't receive a lesser sentence, even though she has never been in trouble with the law before. Judge Daniel said the law did not allow for extenuating or mitigating circumstances to reduce the sentence below the 20-year minimum.

"I really was crying in there," Marissa Alexander's 11-year-old daughter told WETV. "I didn't want to cry in court, but I just really feel hurt. I don't think this should have been happening."

Alexander was convicted of attempted murder after she rejected a plea deal for a three-year prison sentence. She said she did not believe she did anything wrong.

She was recently denied a new trial after appealing to the judge to reconsider her case based on Florida's controversial "Stand Your Ground" law. The law states that the victim of a crime does not have to attempt to run for safety and can immediately retaliate in self-defense.

Alexander's attorney said she was clearly defending herself and should not have to spend the next two decades behind bars.

Alexander's case has drawn support from domestic abuse advocates - and comparison to the case of neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, who has claimed self-defense in his fatal shooting of Florida teenager Trayvon Martin...

Read More:
Fla. mom gets 20 years for firing warning shots - CBS News
Florida woman sentenced to 20 years for firing warning shot in self-defense | Peace . Gold . Liberty

Last edited:
What a sad sad travesty.

-Her ex-husband

And yet...

A Florida woman who fired warning shots against her allegedly abusive husband has been sentenced to 20 years in prison.

Marissa Alexander of Jacksonville had said the state's "Stand Your Ground" law should apply to her because she was defending herself against her allegedly abusive husband when she fired warning shots inside her home in August 2010. She told police it was to escape a brutal beating by her husband, against whom she had already taken out a protective order.

CBS Affiliate WETV reports that Circuit Court Judge James Daniel handed down the sentence Friday.

Under Florida's mandatory minimum sentencing requirements Alexander couldn't receive a lesser sentence, even though she has never been in trouble with the law before. Judge Daniel said the law did not allow for extenuating or mitigating circumstances to reduce the sentence below the 20-year minimum.

"I really was crying in there," Marissa Alexander's 11-year-old daughter told WETV. "I didn't want to cry in court, but I just really feel hurt. I don't think this should have been happening."

Alexander was convicted of attempted murder after she rejected a plea deal for a three-year prison sentence. She said she did not believe she did anything wrong.

She was recently denied a new trial after appealing to the judge to reconsider her case based on Florida's controversial "Stand Your Ground" law. The law states that the victim of a crime does not have to attempt to run for safety and can immediately retaliate in self-defense.

Alexander's attorney said she was clearly defending herself and should not have to spend the next two decades behind bars.

Alexander's case has drawn support from domestic abuse advocates - and comparison to the case of neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, who has claimed self-defense in his fatal shooting of Florida teenager Trayvon Martin...

Read More:
Florida woman sentenced to 20 years for firing warning shot in self-defense | Peace . Gold . Liberty

This goes back to Angela Corey (State Attorney), the same idiot who screwed up Zimmerman's prosecution from the very beginning.
She is a total idiot and heavily reflects the low-brow mentality of her state.

Not the whole story:

Familiarize Yourself With The Marissa Alexander Case Before The Media Misinforms You

The relavent part

[Gray] moved to the living room where his children were. Subsequently, [Alexander] emerged from the master bedroom and went into the garage where her car was parked. [Alexander] testified she was trying to leave the residence but could not get the garage door to open. (The Court notes that despite [Alexander's] claim she was in fear for her life at that point and trying to get away from [Gray], she did not leave the house through the back or front doors which were unobstructed. Additionally, the garage door had worked previously and there was no evidence to support her claim.) [Alexander] then retrieved her firearm from the glove box of the vehicle. [Alexander] returned to the kitchen with the firearm in her hand and pointed it in the direction of all three victims. [Gray] put his hands in the air. [Alexander] shot at [Gray], barely missing his head. The bullet traveled through the kitchen wall and into the ceiling in the living room. The victims fled the residence and immediately called 911. [Alexander] stayed in the marital home and at no point called 911.

The real issue is that once she discharged the firearm, mandatory minimum sentancing guildlines took over. I wonder what type of person would ask for a 20 year minimum sentance for using a gun....

So after this lie was thoroughly debunked on the other thread, someone starts another with the same lie.

How sad.

Not the whole story:

Familiarize Yourself With The Marissa Alexander Case Before The Media Misinforms You

The relavent part

[Gray] moved to the living room where his children were. Subsequently, [Alexander] emerged from the master bedroom and went into the garage where her car was parked. [Alexander] testified she was trying to leave the residence but could not get the garage door to open. (The Court notes that despite [Alexander's] claim she was in fear for her life at that point and trying to get away from [Gray], she did not leave the house through the back or front doors which were unobstructed. Additionally, the garage door had worked previously and there was no evidence to support her claim.) [Alexander] then retrieved her firearm from the glove box of the vehicle. [Alexander] returned to the kitchen with the firearm in her hand and pointed it in the direction of all three victims. [Gray] put his hands in the air. [Alexander] shot at [Gray], barely missing his head. The bullet traveled through the kitchen wall and into the ceiling in the living room. The victims fled the residence and immediately called 911. [Alexander] stayed in the marital home and at no point called 911.

The real issue is that once she discharged the firearm, mandatory minimum sentancing guildlines took over. I wonder what type of person would ask for a 20 year minimum sentance for using a gun....

A very sad loophole exploited by the Anti-2nd Amendment assholes.

So after this lie was thoroughly debunked on the other thread, someone starts another with the same lie.

How sad.

It's like sex. you simply cannot have too much, but sometimes you need to stop before beginning again.

Don't defend yourselves people. Just relax and die. You're doing the right thing.

Well, that's what Nancy Pelosi, Piers Morgan, Bloomberg, and the rest of the Anti-2nd Amendment dipshits keep telling us anyway. The fuck's wrong with them?

Last edited:
Not the whole story:

The relavent part

Oh for chrissake, another blog...one who uses a skull and crossbones as a logo no less. What a fucking joke.

This is what I was thinking. The real issue is mandatory sentencing laws.

Not the whole story:

The relavent part

Oh for chrissake, another blog...one who uses a skull and crossbones as a logo no less. What a fucking joke.

They referenced actual court documents, unlike other blogs when it comes to this case, with linked sources. The part I quoted was taken from the court documents.

Not the whole story:

The relavent part

Are you disputing the claims in the blog?

Show us some proof they are wrong. Ask your husband to help.

What a sad sad travesty.

-Her ex-husband

And yet...

Read More:

I don't get it, why is she in prison? can anyone explain this?

Not the whole story:

The relavent part

Are you disputing the claims in the blog?

Show us some proof they are wrong. Ask your husband to help.

Actually, newspaper links were put up in the other thread on the same bogus non-story. Do your own research.

I guess the liberal media has something to say against though gun laws....

Not.

Guess she should have waited for Nancy Pelosi or Piers Morgan to land their private jets on her lawn to save her. It's shocking, so many listen to pampered Multi-Millionaires who have round the clock armed security. They live in their secure fantasy worlds. They don't live in the real world.

In the real world, you have to be your own armed security. Pelosi, Bloomberg and the rest will not be there to protect you. They're busy chillin and partying in their mansions and on private jets. So don't listen to them when they tell you to stay unarmed and defenseless. Protect yourself and your family.

Last edited:
What a sad sad travesty.

-Her ex-husband

And yet...

Read More:

That's Florida justice for you.
Why did Marissa Alexander get a 20-year sentence despite invoking ?Stand Your Ground?? ? MSNBC

Marissa fired warning shot and gets 20 years.
Zimmerman shot and killed unarmed teenager and not guilty.
:confused:

To me that woman shouldn't even have to spend 20 seconds in the pokey. I don't blame her for what she did. What would have happened if she had gone ahead and blown the guy away?

God bless you and her always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

To me that woman shouldn't even have to spend 20 seconds in the pokey. I don't blame her for what she did. What would have happened if she had gone ahead and blown the guy away?

God bless you and her always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

there is said to be 'more to the story'--while awaiting a bond hearing she hit her exhusband and gave him a swollen eye and I think fired the gun somewhere else--maybe not.

FL can overhaul its laws if it sees fit.

What I should be doing is reviewing GA law---but I never seem to find the time. My life is challenging enough w/o the responsibility of a gun.

Forum List

Back