Foley Was Tortured By ISIS Militants Using CIA Techniques

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
This was always an argument against torture.

James Foley Was Tortured By ISIS Militants Using CIA Techniques

James Foley was tortured by members of the militant Islamic State group who were modeling some of their techniques on those used by the CIA, the Washington Postreported on Thursday.

Foley was held by ISIS in Syria for nearly two years before his horrific beheading last week. The Post reported that, during that time, he and at least three others were "waterboarded several times."

Waterboarding became perhaps the most notorious method of torture practiced by American interrogators in the years after September 11th.

Interestingly, while the Post has, like most mainstream outlets, typically been reluctant to call methods such as waterboarding "torture" when it was practiced by Americans, the paper had no apparent problem calling what ISIS did to Foley "torture."
<more>

This is a positive step. They used to use knives and red hot pokers. Water boarding is fine in my book, if you know how to do it right, and its being used to save lives.

Uh. Waterboarding has been around for centuries, bub.

From one of the OP's favorite sources!

Waterboarding actually refers to two different interrogation techniques. One involves pumping water directly into the stomach. "This creates intense pain. It feels like your organs are on fire," says Darius Rejali, a professor at Reed College in Oregon and author of a new book, Torture and Democracy.

The other technique — the one more widely used today — involves choking the victim by filling their throat with a steady stream of water — a sort of "slow-motion drowning" that was perfected by Dutch traders in the 17th century. They used it against their British rivals in the East Indies.

A Turning Point

A turning point for waterboarding — in any form — came around 1800. As the Enlightenment swept across Europe, many countries banned the practice and people, in general, found it "morally repugnant," Peters says. Waterboarding moved underground, but did not disappear by any means. In fact, it has experienced something of a revival in the 20th century.

The interrogation method was used by the Japanese in World War II, by U.S. troops in the Philippines and by the French in Algeria. In Cambodia, the Khmer Rogue used waterboarding against its own people. The British used it against both Arabs and Jews in occupied Palestine in the 1930s. In the 1970s, it was widely used in Latin America, particularly under the military dictatorships in Chile and Argentina (where it was known as "Asian torture.")...

Waterboarding A Tortured History NPR

James Foley was tortured by members of the militant Islamic State group who were modeling some of their techniques on those used by the CIA, the Washington Postreported on Thursday.

Foley was held by ISIS in Syria for nearly two years before his horrific beheading last week. The Post reported that, during that time, he and at least three others were "waterboarded several times."

Waterboarding became perhaps the most notorious method of torture practiced by American interrogators in the years after September 11th.

Interestingly, while the Post has, like most mainstream outlets, typically been reluctant to call methods such as waterboarding "torture" when it was practiced by Americans, the paper had no apparent problem calling what ISIS did to Foley "torture."
<more>

Few things serve to show the true nature of many of today's conservatives than the issue of whether waterboarding is considered torture. A sad commentary.

Well...since the CIA didn't weatherboard like isis, the inquisition or the Japanese or the. Communists in Cambodia that would make your post totally wrong...good job....now you should research the actual method and then you will see what the CIA did actually saved live and didn't harm the guys who butchered 3,000 people...in fact, once that one guy was cooperating Kentucky Fried chicken was his favorite meal...

Now go do some actual research and stay away from your liberal propaganda sites...

and you might want to link to the Congressional Medal of Honor, former Hanoi Hilton POWs who support waterboarding terrorists...and those guys actually know what torture is...and no, one of them isn't John McCain...they were his roommates...

Here is one America POW actually tortured by the communists,and what he has to say about water boarding...and this is the CIA method...

Another Vietnam POW for waterboarding AEIdeas

Former prisoner of war Lee Ellis explained the difference between the torture he experienced during the Vietnam War and modern-day waterboarding, and said that if he were president, he would approve the use of waterboarding.

“In waterboarding, you’re trying to find out the truth that’s going to save a lot of lives,” Ellis explained to The Daily Caller’s Ginni Thomas. “What the communists did to us was torture us to say a lie, to make a statement against our government, to make propaganda for their cause to defeat our country. So to me, there’s a huge difference there.”

“And waterboarding is not going to kill somebody. The idea is that they think they’re going to be killed, but obviously they’re not. We’re not going to let them die,” he continued…. “I think it can get us the information that may save thousands of lives, and if I were the commander in that situation, I would approve it and I would have it done,” Ellis said. “Use it very carefully — wisdom always helps — but I would certainly do it.”

Ellis is not alone among Vietnam POWs in supporting the enhanced interrogation techniques used on KSM and other terrorists after 9/11. While the media has focused on John McCain’s opposition to the practice, the fact is many of his former comrades from the Hanoi Hilton disagree vehemently with him. In my book, Courting Disaster, I interview many of them — including Col. Bud Day, who received our nation’s highest award for valor, the Medal of Honor, for his heroic escape from a North Vietnamese prison camp; Col. Leo Thorsness was awarded the Medal of Honor for extraordinary heroism during the Vietnam War; and Adm. Jeremiah Denton, the POW who famously winked the word “T-O-R-T-U-R-E” in Morse code during a North Vietnamese propaganda interview — the first message to the outside world that American prisoners were being tortured.

So...men who know what it is to be tortured...not shock jocks or British writers....say do it...and remember...the CIA did not use the Japanese, inquisition, or Cambodian method...so let's talk about what the CIA actually did...or is that beyond the liberal capacity to deal in the truth...

Good Lord the liberals on this website are consummate pussies. First of all, they use guns just like we use. SOOOOO?

Just because they do something we allegedly do means nothing. The argument fell apart just based on that alone.

Secondly, do you know how many of our military people go through waterboarding for training?

Where do I see you people running around protesting that it stop?

I myself went through a survival school where techniques were used that would make you sissies cry.

Good Lord you liberals are fragile.

Last edited:
Could've been worse...

Could've been KGB techniques...

Or, worse yet, bottom-feeding scumbag Militant Islamist's home-grown amateur-hour stuff...

<more>

That line that separates civilized human beings from barbarians, intuitively recognized by most of us, has become blurred, even non-existant in the minds of the wingnut horde. If their morality keeps devolving we may soon not be able to distinguish their bloodthirsty ideology and actions from those of the Islamic extremists we all abhor.

The orange that James Foley wore when he was decapitated was a copy of the ones that prisoners at Gitmo wear. All that was a message.

That line that separates civilized human beings from barbarians, intuitively recognized by most of us, has become blurred, even non-existant in the minds of the wingnut horde. If their morality keeps devolving we may soon not be able to distinguish their bloodthirsty ideology and actions from those of the Islamic extremists we all abhor.
Purposely targeting and killing civilians, burning their homes, destroying the infrastructure, destroying their industry, businesses and factories, stealing their livestock and supplies are war crimes and are the actions of "barbarians".

Except when the union did it to the south...

What nation in the world is the only one to use nuclear weapons?..and who did we purposely target and use them on?
Civilians.

Spare me the "civilized human beings" jargon.

EDIT;

I'm not supporting isis or any muzzies..
I was just pointing out historical facts to counter your attempt to pretend the u.s. has the moral high ground in issues like this.

Purposely targeting and killing civilians, burning their homes, destroying the infrastructure, destroying their industry, businesses and factories, stealing their livestock and supplies are war crimes and are the actions of "barbarians".

What nation in the world is the only one to use nuclear weapons?..and who did we purposely target and use them on?
Civilians.

EDIT;

I was just pointing out historical facts to counter your attempt to pretend the u.s. has the moral high ground in issues like this.

I do believe, for all it's obvious faults, which I, as a liberal minded guy am continuously drawing attention to, that America still has claim to the "moral high ground" in the long sweep of history. I will leave you to defend your contrary opinion.

Civilians.

EDIT;

I do believe, for all it's obvious faults, which I, as a liberal minded guy am continuously drawing attention to, that America still has claim to the "moral high ground" in the long sweep of history. I will leave you to defend your contrary opinion.

I can't see any reason that justifies (alleged) "civilized human beings" (?) nuking civilians.

Twice.

..but we can agree to disagree and let it go.

Good Lord the liberals on this website are consummate pussies. First of all, they use guns just like we use. SOOOOO?

Just because they do something we allegedly do means nothing. The argument fell apart just based on that alone.

Secondly, do you know how many of our military people go through waterboarding for training?

Where do I see you people running around protesting that it stop?

I myself went through a survival school where techniques were used that would make you sissies cry.

Good Lord you liberals are fragile.

Okay, so you're the resident expert on all things military. Is it true that the aim of SERE "Code of Conduct" training is to "prepare US military personnel for possible capture and torture by an enemy that does not follow Geneva conventions guidelines."

AND;

From an internal DOD memo;

"The Clare memo stated, in part:

3. Area of Concern: The JPRA official stance is that the water board should not be used as a physical pressure during Level C SERE training. This position is based on factors that have the potential to affect not only students but also the whole DoD SERE program. The way the water board is most often employed, it leaves students psychologically defeated with no ability to resist under pressure. Once a student is taught that they can be beaten, and there is no way to resist, it is difficult to develop psychological hardiness. None of the other schools use the water board that leaves the San Diego school as a standout.

In an attachment to Colonel Clare’s memo, "Observations and Recommendations," JPRA indicates that the waterboard technique as used in the SERE schools is "inconsistent" with the JPRA philosophy that its training and procedures be "safe, effective" and provides "a positive learning experience."

The water board has always been the most extreme pressure that required intense supervision and oversight because of the inherent risks associated with its employment…. Forcing answers under the extreme duress of the water board does not teach resistance or resilience, but teaches that you can be beaten. When a student’s ability to develop psychological resiliency is compromised… it may create unintended consequences regarding their perception of survivability during a real world SERE event. Based on these concerns and the risks associated with using the water board, we strongly recommend that you discontinue using it[underlined in the original].

Was this Colonel Clare guy one of those pussys you were referring to?

so, you have a method that causes no pemanent harm to the guy you are weatherboarding....you tilt him back, run water down his nose and when you stop, he is physically and mentally unharmed...all he needs to recover is a towel to dry off....a method that all of your elite military personnel used to go through as standard survival training and the only reason it was. Discontinued....it was too successful at getting them to talk....

We are talking the toughest of all military warriors...Green Berets and Navy Seals as well as military aviators...all of them give up the goods...and they are not physically or psychologically impaired after the water boarding....

so, you take three monsters, the men who planned and carried out the murder of three thousand people...remember 9/11? You know, that day in, as Andrew Klavan calls it, "history time" when we were attacked...I know it was a long time ago, a whole 13 years and all...and you dribble water down their nose...and then these toughest of the toughest monsters...men who declared they would die for their cause of killing Americans...start not only talking...but telling everything....they use a towel to dry off...they have a nice dinner...prey to Mecca, and they are completely fine...

and yet...you guys see no moral difference in using the least harmful but most effective technique against 3 monsters to save American lives...whose moral compass is broken...

Again...Ask the three men who suffered at the hands of real torture...the communists in Vietnam...read their stories...guys who really know what torture is...and they say they would weatherboard these guys without a doubt...because it is safe, humane, and gets hardened monsters to tell you how they plan on killing innocent people...

No wonder Putin, the Chinese, and isis are winning...

Here is Bud Day...Former POW in the infamous Hanoi Hilton...and someone who knows what torture actually is...an expert if you will...

Medal Of Honor Winner Col. Bud Day 8212 American Hero Veterans News Now

They marched me to Vinh…..put me in the rope trick; that trick almost pulled my arms out of the sockets. Then, they beat me on the head with a little wooden rod until my eyes were swelled shut, and my unshot, unbroken hand was beaten to a pulp.

The next day hung me by the arms…rebroke my right wrist…wiped out the nerves in my arms that control the hands, and my fingers rolled p into a ball. I was only left with the slightest movement of my left forefinger. So I started answering the torturing asses with some incredible lies.

The frustrated Commie gooks then sent me to Hanoi strapped to a barrel of gas in the back of a truck. Now in the Hanoi Hilton (our name for the horrible prison) I was once again I was placed kneeling on my knees again before they did the shoulder rope trick on me again. Following my no response, I was beaten severely by a big fool.

When that failed, they strapped me with leg irons onto a bed in Heartbreak Hotel.

I spent much of my ‘out of leg iron’ time held in a kneeling position. There was so much kneeling—hands up at Zoo.

In the middle of this arduous process, I took some really bad beatings for refusing to condemn Lyndon Johnson.

Following several more inescapable kneeling events. I could see my knee bones through Kneeling holes in my skin.

Once there was a prisoner escape from the annex to the Zoo. I was the Senior Officer of a large building… because of escape…they started a mass Torture of all commanders.

I think it was July 7, 1969…they started beating me with a car fan belt. In the first 2 days I took over 300 strokes…then stopped counting because I never thought I would live thru it.

What does this expert say about the use of waterboarding to get the 3 monsters to talk...

Our president and those fools around him who keep bad mouthing our great country are a disgrace to the United States. Please pass this info on to Sean Hannity. He is free to use it to point out the stupidity of the claims that water boarding…which has no after-effect…is torture. If it got the Arab to cough up the story about how he planned the attack on the twin towers in NYC … Hurrah for the guy who poured the water! _______________

Forum List

Back