Food stamps or junk food stamps?

:eusa_eh:

I just bought lobster last week at the supermarket for $5.99/lb.

Not sure where you're getting $38 from.
What you bought was previously FROZEN slipper tails.

Fresh Maine lobster rarely runs under $30 a lb.

Bullshit.

Both of them were still alive and kicking.

What you're talking about is likely restaurant prices.
What you bought, if they were alive and kicking, were farm raised slippers. You damn sure didn't get fresh Maine Lobster for 5.99lb. The store you purchased it at can't get fresh Maine for that price.

Look man, i'm a chef. I know how the game works.

Bullshit.

:lol: funny how outsiders are telling us what Maine Lobsters sell for

btw, if anyone sells you a "Maine Lobster" that is over 3 lbs, they are NOT likely to be selling actual Maine Lobsters

I don't buy them any bigger than 1 1/2 pounds typically.

I find the meat is much more tender in the 1 to 1 1/2 pound range.

Last edited:

Bullshit.

What you bought, if they were alive and kicking, were farm raised slippers. You damn sure didn't get fresh Maine Lobster for 5.99lb. The store you purchased it at can't get fresh Maine for that price.

Clearly, what you "know" isn't so.

My brother is in the wholesale food business and about the best prices he can get us for live Maine lobster around her is $15/lb. That is his cost though. They sell it for $30 wholesale. But then again, this is Arkansas, just a few miles from Maine.

And again, if someone wants Maine lobster one night and Ramen noodles 29 nights, then so be it.

Ok, I get it...they're cheap on the east coast.

They aren't cheap anywhere else, though.

Bullshit.

maybe for where YOU live, that is true

Does that not make sense? Of course it makes sense that something that can be bought right off the boat is going to be cheaper than the exact same product if they had to ship it accross the country.

years and years ago, Lobster was considered a "poor mans food"
because anyone could row out in a boat and drop a trap and get some
but with the commercialization of it lobster is not that plentiful anymore

I think everybody knows lobster is cheap if you live in Maine or NY during the lobster season.

But that isn't where most people live. And here, lobster is VERY expensive.

Two 8-10 oz. Maine Lobster Tails $77.95
M8T4 Four 8-10 oz. Maine Lobster Tails $129.95
M8T6 Six 8-10 oz. Maine Lobster Tails $181.95
M8T8 Eight 8-10 oz. Maine Lobster Tails
Maine Lobster Tails 8-10 oz.

It's still a poor man's food if you live in a fishing community in Maine.

But it's disengenuous to imply that lobster isn't an expensive food, when it remains expensive everywhere except the eastern sea board.

Sucks to be you. :lol:

But that is interesting, especially since I never pay more the $7.99-8.99/lb for lobster. More than that I just don't think it's worth it. :D

Does that not make sense? Of course it makes sense that something that can be bought right off the boat is going to be cheaper than the exact same product if they had to ship it accross the country.

No kidding, sherlock.

Maine lobster came up because I said it could be purchased with foodstamps, and it costs $38/lb.

The response was, "it's not that expensive, where do you get that, I just bought lobster for $6/lb!" without sharing that the $6/lb price was in a place where lobster is ALWAYS cheap.

So yes, now it makes sense. But it wasn't presented that way.

That's exactly it. Here on the west coast, the price of shipping is added to the purchase price. That shipping isn't cheap, seeing as though it has to be overnighted by plane. Of course you get a better deal if you're buying it off the docks, or on the east coast.

The best price I ever received on a bulk lb. shipment was around $10 lb. It's still a good deal for me because we turn around and 86 it for "market price", meaning I made about 20-30 bucks per lb sold.

Sucks to be you. :lol:

But that is interesting, especially since I never pay more the $7.99-8.99/lb for lobster. More than that I just don't think it's worth it. :D

Yes, well thanks for sharing that completely irrelevant information and discombobulating everyone for no purpose.

Anyway, you can buy lobster with fs. Even when it costs $38/lb (which it does if you DON'T LIVE ON THE EAST COAST).

Happy?

I'm still surprised that the price difference is THAT much.

I guess it costs a shitload more to transport live lobster than it does to pull it from the ocean.

It's still a poor man's food if you live in a fishing community in Maine.

But it's disengenuous to imply that lobster isn't an expensive food, when it remains expensive everywhere except the eastern sea board.
no, it isnt
because you cant just row a boat out and drop a trap anymore
its too regulated
about the only way you can get a lobster without buying a very expensive license now is to be a scuba diver
and then you better make damn sure you are no where near any set traps when you grab that lobster

I guess it costs a shitload more to transport live lobster than it does to pull it from the ocean.

Uh you think? My brother's supplier flies a fresh shipment in every morning. That's not cheap.

You need to travel more mani.

Or you can pull up someone else's trap if you don't mind running the risk of getting shot.

Of course I would never do anything like that. :eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back