Zone1 For 2023, Consider a Bible Reading Plan!

You have to study something in order to learn it.

You can't sleep with a bible under your pillow and count on osmosis.
Nobody said that.

But IF you don't accept the Bible as the INSPIRED WORD OF GOD (you don't), NO AMOUNT OF STUDY will allow you to understand it

But God DOES REVEAL Himself to those who actually love and FOLLOW Him

I will put odds that most Christians have never read the Bible cover to cover

You'd be right, and sadly that's not surprising. It stands at about one-third of "churchgoers". This does not surprise me because this stat would include super liberal, non-Scripture driven churches.

In my church I would guess well over 50%, close to 75%, but we are very Scripture based.

A 2016 Lifeway Research study found 1 in 5 Americans said they had read all of the Bible at least once. However, more than half said they have read little or none of it. Among regular churchgoers, 32% say they have read the entire Bible at least once and just 9% say they’ve read a few sentences or less.

Unfortunately, while churchgoers and evangelicals are more likely than others to engage with the Bible regularly, Scripture engagement is still trumped by social media usage.

Nobody said that.

But IF you don't accept the Bible as the INSPIRED WORD OF GOD (you don't), NO AMOUNT OF STUDY will allow you to understand it

But God DOES REVEAL Himself to those who actually love and FOLLOW Him
So you say.

I never was one for fairy tales. But unlike most Christians I have at least read the bible cover to cover

You can get started here on learning about moral, ceremonial and civil (or judicial) laws here. This is common Christian understanding.

"Modern Protestants are divided over the applicability of mishpatim in the church age. Some believe that Jesus’ assertion that the law will remain in effect until the earth passes away (Matthew 5:18) means that believers are still bound to it. Others, however, understand that Jesus fulfilled this requirement (Matthew 5:17), and that we are instead under the law of Christ (Galatians 6:2), which is thought to be "love God and love others" (Matthew 22:36-40). Although many of the moral laws in the Old Testament give excellent examples as to how to love God and love others, and freedom from the law is not license to sin (Romans 6:15), we are not specifically bound by mishpatim."

This says we're both right ... or that the question isn't answered ...

If you read the Bible ... then you should know that God prohibited Moses from entering the Promised Land ... it was Jeremiah that lead the Jews against Jericho, when the walls came a tumbling down ... I'm not sure how your "mishpatim" fits into these lessons ... "What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid." ... it's a sin to have sex with animals, we forgive the sinner while we hate the sin ... and Leviticus is one place where sins are clearly defined ... although I do believe we can find wisdom in such matters elsewhere ...

Don't bother studying the Old Testament if you don't think it applies to you ... we both could spend the rest of our lives with just the New Testament and still not fully understand ...

Don't bother studying the Old Testament if you don't think it applies to you ... we both could spend the rest of our lives with just the New Testament and still not fully understand
Don't study the ONLY Scriptures Jesus Himself cited.

Okay :auiqs.jpg:

"Modern Protestants are divided over the applicability of mishpatim in the church age. Some believe that Jesus’ assertion that the law will remain in effect until the earth passes away (Matthew 5:18) means that believers are still bound to it. Others, however, understand that Jesus fulfilled this requirement (Matthew 5:17), and that we are instead under the law of Christ (Galatians 6:2), which is thought to be "love God and love others" (Matthew 22:36-40). Although many of the moral laws in the Old Testament give excellent examples as to how to love God and love others, and freedom from the law is not license to sin (Romans 6:15), we are not specifically bound by mishpatim."

This says we're both right ... or that the question isn't answered ...

If you read the Bible ... then you should know that God prohibited Moses from entering the Promised Land ... it was Jeremiah that lead the Jews against Jericho, when the walls came a tumbling down ... I'm not sure how your "mishpatim" fits into these lessons ... "What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid." ... it's a sin to have sex with animals, we forgive the sinner while we hate the sin ... and Leviticus is one place where sins are clearly defined ... although I do believe we can find wisdom in such matters elsewhere ...

Don't bother studying the Old Testament if you don't think it applies to you ... we both could spend the rest of our lives with just the New Testament and still not fully understand ...

You are fully incoherent now. I don't even know why you would reference Moses...and it was JOSHUA who fought the battle of Jericho, not the prophet Jeremiah.

Oh my

Anyway ... we can't simply read the OT and expect to understand it ... we have to LIVE the OT ... spend seven years under the letter of the Law ... every Law we can, with the understanding we will utterly fail ... and except for mercy, we'll be condemned to an eternity in Hell ... so take advantage, a single chicken as an offering is as good as two turtle doves, and God will still smile if it's orphan children eating the chicken instead of Levitical priests ...
We? I hope you're not serious. We're not Israel; the Mosaic Law is not our law.

And now, after the nation's dissolution, it is no one's law. All civil, ceremonial, and dietary laws of the OT are done away with. The Israelites began to understand that in the first century. Their dietary laws, for example, served no purpose (Rom 14:17; Heb 13:9).

We? I hope you're not serious. We're not Israel; the Mosaic Law is not our law.

And now, after the nation's dissolution, it is no one's law. All civil, ceremonial, and dietary laws of the OT are done away with. The Israelites began to understand that in the first century. Their dietary laws, for example, served no purpose (Rom 14:17; Heb 13:9).
And yet we follow them stiill.

Forum List

Back