Forbes: Bernie Doesn't Know What Real Poverty Is

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
I would say no one on the left knows what real poverty is.

image.jpeg

Bernie Sanders has been campaigning in Baltimore, Maryland and some of his remarks indicate that he doesn’t really understand what poverty is. He’s getting very mixed up between relative poverty and absolute poverty.

Now, it is indeed true that American liberals and progressives get uptight about relative poverty, what we might also call inequality. I don’t get quite so wound up about it, being a classical liberal myself, but it is still true that relative and absolute poverty are very different concepts.

Absolute poverty is simply not having a roof over your head, a shirt on your back or even a cheap meal of anything in your stomach. The relative poverty in Baltimore that Bernie is talking about is just not anything like this at all. It’s having less than others in the society around you, yes, but that is indeed inequality, not absolute poverty.

Keep reading…

Its just plain asssinine to make this a partisan issue and to use that horrific image as an attack against liberals. The fact is, most Americans don't know what real poverty is.

But that is way beyond mere poverty and, as climate change continues, we will be seeing a lot more of the same thing.

As it is, we're already seeing people fighting for water and food.

Its just plain asssinine to make this a partisan issue and to use that horrific image as an attack against liberals. The fact is, most Americans don't know what real poverty is.

But that is way beyond mere poverty and, as climate change continues, we will be seeing a lot more of the same thing.

As it is, we're already seeing people fighting for water and food.
You obviously didn't read what Bernie said.
And yes, it's a leftist issue as it's the left that talk about "living wages" and increasing the "poverty" level.

Americans don't know what poverty and corruption look like.

Poor people of the world would love to be a poor person in the U.S.

Citizens of 3rd world countries wish their country was ONLY as corrupt as the U.S.

Traveling to over 30 countries regularly over a 31 year flying career and living overseas 3 times didn't teach me about other countries or cultures. It taught me about the U.S.

We've got it good.

Live in the Philippines for a while and get back to me on poverty and corruption. Want a PhD in corruption? You're in luck. Right next door. Spend some time in Mexico.

Forum List

Back