Found: Central France’s First Megalith

Natural Citizen

American Made
Aug 8, 2016
I wonder who was in the tomb that led them to go to so much trouble.

Anyway...

In September, a team led by Ivy Thomson, an archaeologist with the National Institute for Preventive Archaeological Research (INRAP), unearthed a rocky trove: about 30 basalt stones, called menhirs, in a 500-foot-long line; five menhirs arranged in a horseshoe shape; and a single limestone rock roughly carved to resemble a human. The stones in the alignment generally got smaller the farther south they were found, suggesting an intentional north-south plane in the construction of the monument.

“This is an exceptional tomb,” says Thomson. “It is monumental, involving [a lot of people in its] construction, yet it [contains] only one individual. It is undeniable that the man for whom this tomb was built was a person of great importance.”

Thomson says the stones that composed the tomb and surrounding megaliths—some of which weighed a ton—were brought to Puy-de-Dôme from multiple sites in the surrounding area. The stones’ numerous origins may suggest that several communities were involved in the construction of the site.

Continued - Found: Central France’s First Megalith

Anyway...

In September, a team led by Ivy Thomson, an archaeologist with the National Institute for Preventive Archaeological Research (INRAP), unearthed a rocky trove: about 30 basalt stones, called menhirs, in a 500-foot-long line; five menhirs arranged in a horseshoe shape; and a single limestone rock roughly carved to resemble a human. The stones in the alignment generally got smaller the farther south they were found, suggesting an intentional north-south plane in the construction of the monument.

“This is an exceptional tomb,” says Thomson. “It is monumental, involving [a lot of people in its] construction, yet it [contains] only one individual. It is undeniable that the man for whom this tomb was built was a person of great importance.”

Thomson says the stones that composed the tomb and surrounding megaliths—some of which weighed a ton—were brought to Puy-de-Dôme from multiple sites in the surrounding area. The stones’ numerous origins may suggest that several communities were involved in the construction of the site.

Extremely cool. Thanks, NC. One question: Can you show me how this rock is carved in a humanoid shape? What are the little nubs? Eyes? Tits? I don't see it.

Extremely cool. Thanks, NC. One question: Can you show me how this rock is carved in a humanoid shape? What are the little nubs? Eyes? Tits? I don't see it.

Even though the article doesn't specifically say so, you have to go back to the Brittonic languages to figure out what's going on there. What it actually is is a menhir carved into the stone. Instead of using the term humanoid, though, they shoud have used the term anthropomorphic, which just means it has human attributes. Like eyes, for instance.

Here, though, what we're seeing in the stone carving are shoulders, two breasts, and arms over the abdomen. You know how like when you die and lay in the coffin how they cross your arms over your abdomen? Like that.

Last edited:

Even though the article doesn't specifically say so, you have to go back to the Briittonic languages to figure out what's going on there. What it actually is is a menhir carved into the stone. Instead of using the term humanoid, though, they shoud have used the term anthropomorphic, which just means it has human attributes. Like eyes, for instance.

Here, though, what we're seeing in the stone carving are shoulders, two breasts, and arms over the abdomen. You know how like when you die and lay in the cofin how they cross your arms over your abdomen? Like that.
Thanks!

It's kind of like how they cut out animal crackers, if you think about it. That's likely an easier way of explaining the carving.

Anyway...

Even though the article doesn't specifically say so, you have to go back to the Brittonic languages to figure out what's going on there. What it actually is is a menhir carved into the stone. Instead of using the term humanoid, though, they shoud have used the term anthropomorphic, which just means it has human attributes. Like eyes, for instance.

Here, though, what we're seeing in the stone carving are shoulders, two breasts, and arms over the abdomen. You know how like when you die and lay in the coffin how they cross your arms over your abdomen? Like that.
Agreed with OL. This is great stuff. I see what appears to be the skeleton but don't see the anthropomorphic features you mention in the other photos.
upload_2019-11-27_7-46-39.png

Anyway...

/—-/ But, but, but, I thought science was settled.

Anyway...

/—-/ But, but, but, I thought science was settled.
Did you read the article that he posted?

So the person buried there seems to have been a great leader who brought together many groups. Afterward, another leader who beat that group shoveled under his monument.

Anyway...

The way France is going, the Muzzies are going to tear up anything other than Islam.

Anyway...

Very interesting find! However the article was somewhat scant on factual details, and bit heavy on conjecture. I eagerly await the carbon dating, and genetic testing results.

Afterward, another leader who beat that group shoveled under his monument.
That is pure unsubstantiated conjecture. The find in no way demonstrates the group who built this site, came into conflict with another group. Much less that this group was beaten by another. That is made up whole cloth. That’s the kind of horseshit that those truly interested in archaeology need to identify and dispense with. It serves no function toward gathering truthful information about these sites or their people.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. I just love stuff like this.

The person in that tomb must have been one important person. Must have taken a long time to get all those stones together. I'm assuming the skeleton is that of a man??

Do they know how old the tomb is?? I wonder just who lived in that part of France back then??

Very interesting indeed.

Afterward, another leader who beat that group shoveled under his monument.
That is pure unsubstantiated conjecture. The find in no way demonstrates the group who built this site, came into conflict with another group. Much less that this group was beaten by another. That is made up whole cloth. That’s the kind of horseshit that those truly interested in archaeology need to identify and dispense with. It serves no function toward gathering truthful information about these site or their people.
Relax. I'm not an archeologist--just conjecturing on a message board, me and JC. What on earth is wrong with you this morning?

Forum List

Back