🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

FOX debate moderator warns: ‘Be careful about looking like whiners and babies’

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
imrs.php

Fox Business Network hasn’t exactly been subtle about its plan to make Tuesday’s Republican presidential primary debate better than the last one.

Here’s the script of a 10-second promo for the event in Milwaukee: “CNBC never asked the real questions, never covered the real issues. That’s why on November 10, the real debate about our economy and our future is only on Fox Business Network.”

So there.

The people most responsible for ensuring that Fox Business backs up its trash talk are moderators Maria Bartiromo and Neil Cavuto. After their counterparts at CNBC were widely panned for losing control of the proceedings in Boulder, Colo., two weeks ago -- and accused of liberal bias by the candidates and their supporters -- Bartiromo and Cavuto can expect more than the regular dose of scrutiny.

Before heading to Wisconsin, the moderators spoke separately with The Fix about their preparations. (Hint: Cavuto studies old debate tape like a coach studies game film.) Their responses to similar questions have been combined and edited for clarity and length.

THE FIX: After the last debate, some of the candidates suggested future debates should be moderated by conservatives. Are you what the doctor ordered?

BARTIROMO: Not at all. I’m an independent. I’ve voted both ways in my life. I come at this from the standpoint of, “Here are the issues; what are you planning to do about it?”

CAVUTO: No. I understand candidates getting annoyed, but they better be careful about looking like whiners and babies. I see this on the right and the left. I think you can ask very tough questions without coming off like an ass. I think it’s incumbent on us to know and appreciate the difference.

THE FIX: Which issues will you focus on in your questions?

BARTIROMO: The number one issue for the American voter today is jobs — jobs and wages. I’m going to try to solicit information that will arm the viewer with as much information as possible as they make their decision about whom to vote for.

THE FIX: What should a moderator’s role be? Should you try to be a real-time fact checker, or should you just ask a question and get out of the way?

BARTIROMO: I think you have to challenge. You have to know your content cold, so that you can say, “Well, that’s not true.” And you want to be able to do that on the spot so that the moment doesn’t leave you.

THE FIX: What’s your strategy if -- or when -- a candidate pushes back and says, “Hey, that’s not a fair question?"

BARTIROMO: Hopefully it is a fair question. Look, I’m working on behalf of the voter, that person who needs information to make a decision. If it helps educate and empower the voter, then it’s a fair question.

More: GOP debate moderator warns: ‘Be careful about looking like whiners and babies’

I hope Maria Bartiromo is true to her words. I look forward to a tough, honest and fair debate on all the relevant issues.

I don't get the Fox Business channel - does anyone know if any other channels will air it? I really want to watch it.

How much will Rain Man Carson whine tonight? Will he call it another "witch hunt"...?

Republicans are nothing more then a bunch of stupid little babies. Cut, slash and deregulate is all they will whine about tonight!

I heard that on their list of demands, the candidates made an edict that nothing from Starbucks could be served until Jesus was put back on the cup.

It's sad that GOP presidential candidates would have to be warned "about looking like whiners and babies"...

Hopefully Maria will eschew the childish gotcha questions designed specifically to create chaos & controversy and will ask questions about what the candidates would do in office, why, and why their ideas are better than the ideas of others.

You know, the real boring stuff.

Always hopeful.

Hopefully Maria will eschew the childish gotcha questions designed specifically to create chaos & controversy and will ask questions about what the candidates would do in office, why, and why their ideas are better than the ideas of others.

Always hopeful.

So, you don't think any of Ben Carson's crazy shit is fair game? I bet Trump does!

I wonder if those three CNBC boobs will tune in to see how the pros do it?

It's sad that GOP presidential candidates would have to be warned "about looking like whiners and babies"...
Sad but predictable. They pretty much do everything they can to look like whiners and babies.

Always hopeful.

So, you don't think any of Ben Carson's crazy shit is fair game? I bet Trump does!
Wouldn't surprise me.

telling RW's to stop doing anything is like telling a defiant child NO ... they'll do it and ramp it up to the next level.

Forum List

Back