FOX's Shep kicks dead celebrity

What was he thinking.?

Sheppard Smith suggesting the late Robin Williams might just have been a 'coward' for committing suicide was a new low for on air 'live coverage' on August 11.....

....Maybe someone can smack it into Shep's plastic surgery repaired face that what might be cowardice is to sit behind a microphone and bad mouth a dead man less than 24 hours after his demise in a forum where his family and friends can hear it.

...When networks realize that the answer to all breaking news is NOT to have some high paid blowhard simply ad-lib endlessly while the facts are being uncovered, the better off all news channels will be.

Suicide is a cowardly act.

Right on cue.

So then you concede that you do not know all there is to know about chronic depression, and that perhaps your personal experience is not the same, not even close, to another person's? That's very big of you.

Are you suggesting RW suffered chronic depression?

He already stated he had no idea

He is arguing for the sake of arguing

Oh ok, so he just throws that out there because it has no bearing on RW or what Shep said.

Typical liberal ploy.

Both of these sentiments are true, in my opinion:

Not everyone agrees with you. In fact, most don't.
What we all agree is that its a cowardly, flippant and low character act is to kick a dead man on live TV hours after his death...on a TV station his admirers, friends and family are listening to.

Suicide is a cowardly and selfish act.

It should never be lauded.

I am a great admirer of Robin Williams. He was a genius and I loved his work.

But what he did was sad and desperate. It should never be held up as a model for dealing with depression.

Childish people run away when challenged.

I'm not going anywhere.

I don't believe something just because everyone else does. I don't put a lot of confidence in professions that seek to make money scamming gullible people.

Depression aka sadness is real, but it's not a mental disease. Yes, they kill themselves because they are weak and don't have the will power to persevere. It's a selfish, cowardly act so I doubt they are thinking of anyone other than themselves.

Of course, I don't need to run away from you. You are no challenge at all. All of your comments so far on this thread have been pretty accurate indicators that you are completely ignorant on the subject of mental health and mental illness.

Ignoring a disease that doesn't exist isn't ignorant.

You've never disclosed your educational background on this subject. Why is that?

Um, yes I did. If you aren't following along, that's not my problem. I've discussed that what I do for a living exposes me to MANY personal aspects of a patient's disease and symptoms. I've also mentioned the fact that I was a member of a support group.

Because unless you are asserting that they forget about the consequences, as opposed to being in such despair that they no longer give a fuck about the consequences, then the disease itself is not a good enough reason to cause pain in other human beings. its putting many in a position you should (as a chronically depressed person) understand better than anyone is one of the utmost undesirable.

That's right. That is part of the disease. They are in SUCH despair that life is just not worth living anymore. They feel like they are a burden on their loved ones and that everyone would be better off if they were gone in many instances. This is part of the mental illness. If effects your thinking, your clarity and your judgment. HENCE why we call these MENTAL illnesses.

There is no middle ground on the two viewpoints.

I realize chronic depression throws your judgment - you don't have to reiterate that. Bad judgment is bad judgment whether done cognitively or impaired, would be where we (I guess) separate.

cowardice is cowardice, bad is bad, whether overt or inadvertent. (in my view)

you disagree.

ok - what next? not much, I presume.

Again, you're speaking as if these are normally functioning and healthy human beings. They are NOT. They are suffering from a mental illness. Mental illnesses affect your thinking and your judgment, etc.

Are you suggesting RW suffered chronic depression?

Oh ok, so he just throws that out there because it has no bearing on RW or what Shep said.

Typical liberal ploy.

Number 1) I'm a female. Number 2) I'm not a liberal. Number 3) My posts are totally on topic because, as I already explained numerous times, I am addressing you ignorant posters who don't know what you are talking about when it comes to depression and suicide.

That's right. That is part of the disease. They are in SUCH despair that life is just not worth living anymore. They feel like they are a burden on their loved ones and that everyone would be better off if they were gone in many instances. This is part of the mental illness. If effects your thinking, your clarity and your judgment. HENCE why we call these MENTAL illnesses.

I realize chronic depression throws your judgment - you don't have to reiterate that. Bad judgment is bad judgment whether done cognitively or impaired, would be where we (I guess) separate.

you disagree.

Again, you're speaking as if these are normally functioning and healthy human beings. They are NOT. They are suffering from a mental illness. Mental illnesses affect your thinking and your judgment, etc.

If that's your response to my post, then you didn't read it right.

That's not an insult, I'm just telling you in case you really care to carry on the conversation.

I addressed your post within the post you quoted. If you can't see that? Ugh

you disagree.

If that's your response to my post, then you didn't read it right.

That's not an insult, I'm just telling you in case you really care to carry on the conversation.

I addressed your post within the post you quoted. If you can't see that? Ugh

Your post doesn't even address ANY of the valid points and links I've posted. What a complete and utter FAIL. I'm going to have search for the picture of the fail bucket for you. :D I am stunned by this response. If a person is suffering from a mental illness and acts out based upon that mental illness, that has absolutely NOTHING to do with cowardice and EVERYTHING to do with the disease. Again, this is why they are classified as MENTAL illnesses. Good Lord, it's like speaking to a child.

Last edited:
I indeed addressed it.

Read it over and over, maybe youll see.

Or let me reiterate:

If a person who is mentally impaired commits a bad act, the act remains bad wether they did it cognitively or impaired.

You see, within that quote is an acknowledgement that it causes impairment.

Your response to that was to tell me theyre impaired.

So read it again if you need to.

I indeed addressed it.

Or let me reiterate:

If a person who is mentally impaired commits a bad act, the act remains bad wether they did it cognitively or impaired.

That is such circular logic. The point here is that these people are not committing suicide because they are "cowards" but because they are suffering from a mental illness. You have not acknowledged that anywhere yet.

I indeed addressed it.

Or let me reiterate:

That is such circular logic. The point here is that these people are not committing suicide because they are "cowards" but because they are suffering from a mental illness. You have not acknowledged that anywhere yet.

Circular conversing, is more like it.

You responded to a post of mine where I stated that mental impairment doesn't change the nature of the act, by saying, "yea but theyre mentally impaired."

I mean

you disagree.

you disagree.

The point is that you and others assume it is due to "cowardice" instead of attributing it to the actual cause in a lot of instances, which is mental illness. And you still have not admitted to that point and keep trying to avoid it. It's SO transparent. Lol!

you disagree.

The point is that you and others assume it is due to "cowardice" instead of attributing it to the actual cause in a lot of instances, which is mental illness. And you still have not admitted to that point and keep trying to avoid it. It's SO transparent. Lol!

Have not admitted to that point?

My post acknowledged mental impairment explicitly :cuckoo:

My point is, mental impairment does not change the nature of the act.

Murder is wrong whether the murderer is mentally impaired or cognitive of the implications.

Suicide - leaving others behind to suffer, is cowardice whether the deceased is mentally impaired or cognitive of the implications.

In various discussions of Robin Williams' death I've seen many a person call him a "coward" for committing suicide....Shep isn't alone in that regard. It's mostly the same kind of people who deny that depression is real.

No one should judge. I have never thought of suicide as being a cowardly way out; rather a brave decision.

I agree.

Its horrifying to read all these people saying they know what Williams or others go through and that the families were somehow remiss but a cat made it all better.

Until one walks in the shoes of another, they have no clue and shouldn't pretend that they do.

And, in spite of all the know-it-alls, I don't know of anyone here who is qualified to speak about depression, mental illness, drug addiction in general or in the case of Robin Williams.

Of course, I don't need to run away from you. You are no challenge at all. All of your comments so far on this thread have been pretty accurate indicators that you are completely ignorant on the subject of mental health and mental illness.

Ignoring a disease that doesn't exist isn't ignorant.

You've never disclosed your educational background on this subject. Why is that?

Um, yes I did. If you aren't following along, that's not my problem. I've discussed that what I do for a living exposes me to MANY personal aspects of a patient's disease and symptoms. I've also mentioned the fact that I was a member of a support group.

Crisis hotline operator?

It's funny, most of these ignoramuses won't even LOOK at the links. They've already made up their tiny narrow little ignorant minds and REFUSE to learn. How sad. Those kinds of people suck.

There are certain posters here who always say they won't read (a perceived liberal pov) link but they know what it says.

IMO, its the hallmark of certain RWs - they're proud of their ignorance.

Typical liberal ploy.

Number 1) I'm a female. Number 2) I'm not a liberal. Number 3) My posts are totally on topic because, as I already explained numerous times, I am addressing you ignorant posters who don't know what you are talking about when it comes to depression and suicide.

Number 1) Doesn't matter.

Number 2) You don't fool anyone.

Number 3) No you got stuck on the depression angle when depression was never the topic to begin with.

What makes you such an expert on the topic again? Oh you were a member of a support group. :cuckoo:

Robin Williams did not leave a suicide note. Most serious suicides don't leave a note. Those who think they may be rescued at the last minute leave a note.

The reason why serious suicides like Robin Williams do not leave a note is because there's no one to leave a note too. They already think that no one cares enough to read the note. They don't apologize to loved ones because they don't feel they have any loved ones.

This from our first on the scene, male/female doctor/lawyer/dog washer/psychiatrist who knows exactly what the family found and has decided to share with the public.

you disagree.

Have not admitted to that point?

My post acknowledged mental impairment explicitly :cuckoo:

My point is, mental impairment does not change the nature of the act.

Murder is wrong whether the murderer is mentally impaired or cognitive of the implications.

Suicide - leaving others behind to suffer, is cowardice whether the deceased is mentally impaired or cognitive of the implications.

Well, this is useless. To say that it makes no difference if you suffer from a mental illness or do not is just pretty unbelievable.

You obviously just don't understand the nature of mental illness. We'll just leave it at that.

Forum List

Back