FOX's Shep kicks dead celebrity

sadness, pain, loss, grief can all trigger depression.

Nope, but one's responses to such emotions can do much to promote it.

Subtle but very important difference. It's why two people who go through the same traumatic experience can end up leading very different lives.

Subtle but very important difference. It's why two people who go through the same traumatic experience can end up leading very different lives.

contrarian waste of time to conclude the same ultimate thing --> his suicide can lead to another's depression and exacerbate the problem

congrats on the self high five for no reason

contrarian waste of time to conclude the same ultimate thing --> his suicide can lead to another's depression and exacerbate the problem

Only to a liberal that doesn't believe in one being accountable for their own actions.

"Wah wah, I can't help it... YOU MADE ME THIS WAY!"

Height of bullshit.

Like anything else, it's how we deal with what we're presented that makes us who we are. Any attempts to pawn off responsibility for one's own actions are a lame ass copout.

Only to a liberal that doesn't believe in one being accountable for their own actions.

"Wah wah, I can't help it... YOU MADE ME THIS WAY!"

Height of bullshit.

Like anything else, it's how we deal with what we're presented that makes us who we are. Any attempts to pawn off responsibility for one's own actions are a lame ass copout.

Again, more useless contrarian posting.

I, too think someone is responsible for their own actions.

So that's why I feel that suicide is usually a cowardly move. Not always, but usually.

If you have depression in your genes, you can trigger it through sadness.

Sorry, it's true.

Stop trumpeting your ignorance. It's unbecoming.

Depression is a disturbance in the flow of neural information due to changes in brain chemistry.

Being unhappy doesn't change your physical make-up. Your RESPONSE to unhappiness (poor diet, poor sleep habits, drug abuse, et) CAN affect your brain chemistry.

Now if you were to say stress caused depression, that would be a valid claim. Stress wears down the body's immune system.

Also, I believe we're talking about two different types of depression (acute vs. chronic). As chronic depression is what I have experience with, it's what I think of when depression is discussed. Acute depression (or, circumstantial depression) is a glorified, temporary state of the blues.

Chronic depression is a completely different beast.

In order for your post not to be a glorified shit fest of meaninglessness, you'd have to be positing that sadness does not cause a person stress.

Stop high horsing, sadness, pain, loss, grief can all trigger depression.

THAT is situational depression and NOT chronic depression!!! When a person suffers from chronic depression, they usually cannot tell you WHY they feel this way. They just feel horrible all the time. Sure, a traumatic event can make them even MORE depressed, and a traumatic event can cause "situational" depression in a mentally healthy person. I don't know what your point is that you're trying to make though.

I'm wrong?

I'm not the one that said cancer and "depression are exactly the same".

Emotions are chemical imbalances in the brain?

No, I think it's a clear sign of a perfectly normal functioning brain.

I'm done with you on this matter. You don't know what you're talking about and sound quite childish about this subject. Why you would refuse to acknowledge a widely known and accepted mental illness that has been studied for YEARS by experts is beyond me, but it is FAR from logical. I guess you should start writing letters to the experts to tell them they are all wrong about chronic depression, and that it's not real and these people only kill themselves because they are weak, horrible people who just want to hurt their loved ones. *rolls eyes* I have to go to work now, so have a good day.

Maybe SOME of you will read the links and TRY to understand.

Childish people run away when challenged.

I'm not going anywhere.

I don't believe something just because everyone else does. I don't put a lot of confidence in professions that seek to make money scamming gullible people.

Depression aka sadness is real, but it's not a mental disease. Yes, they kill themselves because they are weak and don't have the will power to persevere. It's a selfish, cowardly act so I doubt they are thinking of anyone other than themselves.

So basically what you are saying is that you are going to ignore years worth of studies by experts and the results of those studies, because you, in your VAST experience with dealing with people who suffer from chronic depression, believe that they are just sad and it's no big deal. Ridiculous.

Stop trumpeting your ignorance. It's unbecoming.

Depression is a disturbance in the flow of neural information due to changes in brain chemistry.

Being unhappy doesn't change your physical make-up. Your RESPONSE to unhappiness (poor diet, poor sleep habits, drug abuse, et) CAN affect your brain chemistry.

Now if you were to say stress caused depression, that would be a valid claim. Stress wears down the body's immune system.

Also, I believe we're talking about two different types of depression (acute vs. chronic). As chronic depression is what I have experience with, it's what I think of when depression is discussed. Acute depression (or, circumstantial depression) is a glorified, temporary state of the blues.

Chronic depression is a completely different beast.

In order for your post not to be a glorified shit fest of meaninglessness, you'd have to be positing that sadness does not cause a person stress.

THAT is situational depression and NOT chronic depression!!! When a person suffers from chronic depression, they usually cannot tell you WHY they feel this way. They just feel horrible all the time. Sure, a traumatic event can make them even MORE depressed, and a traumatic event can cause "situational" depression in a mentally healthy person. I don't know what your point is that you're trying to make though.

My point is, that someone who is familiar with and sensitive to the topic of depression is a dick for choosing to ease their own pain over not causing the pain they'll necessarily cause others who love and depend on them, in the event of a suicide.

I'm wrong?

I'm not the one that said cancer and "depression are exactly the same".

Emotions are chemical imbalances in the brain?

No, I think it's a clear sign of a perfectly normal functioning brain.

I'm done with you on this matter. You don't know what you're talking about and sound quite childish about this subject. Why you would refuse to acknowledge a widely known and accepted mental illness that has been studied for YEARS by experts is beyond me, but it is FAR from logical. I guess you should start writing letters to the experts to tell them they are all wrong about chronic depression, and that it's not real and these people only kill themselves because they are weak, horrible people who just want to hurt their loved ones. *rolls eyes* I have to go to work now, so have a good day.

Maybe SOME of you will read the links and TRY to understand.

Childish people run away when challenged.

I'm not going anywhere.

I don't believe something just because everyone else does. I don't put a lot of confidence in professions that seek to make money scamming gullible people.

Depression aka sadness is real, but it's not a mental disease. Yes, they kill themselves because they are weak and don't have the will power to persevere. It's a selfish, cowardly act so I doubt they are thinking of anyone other than themselves.

Of course, I don't need to run away from you. You are no challenge at all. All of your comments so far on this thread have been pretty accurate indicators that you are completely ignorant on the subject of mental health and mental illness.

My point is, that someone who is familiar with and sensitive to the topic of depression is a dick for choosing to ease their own pain over not causing the pain they'll necessarily cause others who love and depend on them, in the event of a suicide.

That is part of the mental illness. What do you not understand that these people are NOT functioning on a normal mental level and are mentally disturbed? My God.

congrats on the self high five for no reason

They are SICK people who need therapy and medications!!!

That is part of the mental illness. What do you not understand that these people are NOT functioning on a normal mental level and are mentally disturbed? My God.

You're right, they are disturbed. Cowardice is a part of that. Depression does not stop all cognitive ability. It can cause you not to give a fuck, but it doesn't cause you to "cease to know" the consequences of one's actions.

As I've stated in another thread, it's easy to judge from on high when you have no personal experience.

You make it sound like RW's life was grand and awesome until one day he just decided to up and go bungee jumping with a belt.

Chronic depression can be a life long affliction, and it's not something that people who suffer from it go out of their way to publicize. Why? Because anyone with a brain stem knows that they'll just get useless platitudes from well-meaning but terminally ill-informed friends/family that do nothing to help and it's easier to just put on a happy face (especially as an entertainer, I'd imagine!)

Chronic depression doesn't go away because you see someone have a bout of levity. It's a constant, ongoing torture that the person lives with, most often in silence to avoid being a downer. It could be compared to Chinese water torture... a single drop of water, constantly dripping on your forehead, nothing at all right? Over time, it will drive you mad.

How much worse it is, then, when your torment is your own thoughts.

You're right, they are disturbed. Cowardice is a part of that. Depression does not stop all cognitive ability. It can cause you not to give a fuck, but it doesn't cause you to "cease to know" the consequences of one's actions.

It is not cowardice. It is desperation.

As I've stated in another thread, it's easy to judge from on high when you have no personal experience.

You make it sound like RW's life was grand and awesome until one day he just decided to up and go bungee jumping with a belt.

Chronic depression can be a life long affliction, and it's not something that people who suffer from it go out of their way to publicize. Why? Because anyone with a brain stem knows that they'll just get useless platitudes from well-meaning but terminally ill-informed friends/family that do nothing to help and it's easier to just put on a happy face (especially as an entertainer, I'd imagine!)

Chronic depression doesn't go away because you see someone have a bout of levity. It's a constant, ongoing torture that the person lives with, most often in silence to avoid being a downer. It could be compared to Chinese water torture... a single drop of water, constantly dripping on your forehead, nothing at all right? Over time, it will drive you mad.

As sentence #1 was incorrect, the rest was discarded and not read. Don't assume my life when making a subsequent point, you self refuted by being wrong in the very first breath.

As sentence #1 was incorrect, the rest was discarded and not read. Don't assume my life when making a subsequent point, you self refuted by being wrong in the very first breath.

Please tell us your professional and personal experiences with the chronically depressed. We are waiting. Maybe then we can see how highly educated on the topic you are. Please.

[/B]

It is not cowardice. It is desperation.

both

Please tell us your professional and personal experiences with the chronically depressed. We are waiting. Maybe then we can see how highly educated on the topic you are. Please.

You want me to share my personal experience with chronic depression with you?

nah.

Cheap coput. Don't worry, I will take your concession gracefully. :lol:

Cheap coput. Don't worry, I will take your concession gracefully. :lol:

concession of what?

is this a game?

are we sparring?

are we arguing about something, or sharing viewpoints?

you partisan argumentative o.c.d. types are amusing

You want me to share my personal experience with chronic depression with you?

nah.

Why not? You seem to be okay with judging others.

Forum List

Back