FOX's Shep kicks dead celebrity

You sir, are an ignorant fool.

I think the same about you morons that buy into the silly notion that sadness is a mental illness.

How about you counter with something intelligent to refute any of my claims instead of just putting your fingers in your already deaf and ignorant ears and yelling LA-LA-LA!

What?s the Difference between Sadness and Depression?

People with Depression are Not Just “Sad”

Just as cell growth is normal in a person, we call out of control cell growth an illness—we call it cancer. Depression is exactly the same. Depression is when a normal, human emotion gets out of control to the point where it is no longer normal. Considering someone with an illness merely to be “sad” is an insult to that person and minimizes an illness that takes thousands of lives every year. And we can’t afford to do that, lest the illness take one more.

Trust me my fingers are not in my ears. Please don't mistake me for a liberal.

You can post a thousand articles describing what "depression" is and how it affects people. It will not change my opinion.

Depression is the same as cancer. Now that is hilarious.

de·pres·sion
noun \di-ˈpre-shən, dē-\

: a state of feeling sad

: a serious medical condition in which a person feels very sad, hopeless, and unimportant and often is unable to live in a normal way

: a period of time in which there is little economic activity and many people do not have jobs

Being sad seems to be an accurate description of someone claiming depression.

Perhaps the author of your quote should read a dictionary.

But its all just guesses to justify how you want to feel about yourself.

George Sanders killed himself because he was bored.

I have known 2 who have taken their lives in the past two years. One was beyond help, so depressed he could not function any longer , he was a widower and 63 and in and out of institutions for years. I didn't see his suicide as cowardice. The other was a functioning capable human who decided it was time to quit while on top and couldn't face losing her youth and beauty, she was 48 and a mother of a young boy. I thought she was selfish and a coward.

Those who see it as cowardly have a solid ground to base the opinion in my view

I already stated that I was referring to people who suffer from chronic depression and the serious suicide attempts or completions. Not the ones where teen Judy is sad because her boyfriend Bobby broke her heart.

Like I said....But its all just guesses to justify how you want to feel about yourself.

Your compassion is actually about how you want to be seen regarding what you think was the problem, not about the choice he made.

WHAT? I don't know what you're talking about. I am talking about people who are suffering from chronic depression. What are you talking about?

I think the same about you morons that buy into the silly notion that sadness is a mental illness.

How about you counter with something intelligent to refute any of my claims instead of just putting your fingers in your already deaf and ignorant ears and yelling LA-LA-LA!

Just as cell growth is normal in a person, we call out of control cell growth an illness—we call it cancer. Depression is exactly the same. Depression is when a normal, human emotion gets out of control to the point where it is no longer normal. Considering someone with an illness merely to be “sad” is an insult to that person and minimizes an illness that takes thousands of lives every year. And we can’t afford to do that, lest the illness take one more.

You can post a thousand articles describing what "depression" is and how it affects people. It will not change my opinion.

de·pres·sion
noun \di-ˈpre-shən, dē-\

: a serious medical condition in which a person feels very sad, hopeless, and unimportant and often is unable to live in a normal way

: a period of time in which there is little economic activity and many people do not have jobs

Good Lord, depression is the same as cancer in that it is a DISEASE. *rolls eyes*

It is MUCH more than just feeling sad. Clearly you don't have any idea what you are talking about.

You sir, are an ignorant fool.

First of all, I'm going to apologize for calling you an "ignorant fool". That's not my style.
However, you seriously need to educate yourself. He wasn't sad, he was clinically depressed. There's a huge difference.
I've read many of your posts over the years, I know you;re not stupid even though I have not agreed with you.
But regarding your comments today, they clearly show a lack of knowledge on the subject you are addressing. Sad? Calling depression a illness wasn't done at the drop of a hat by the medical community. It was declared a disease after several years of various evidenced based studies by top psychological experts.
If you disagree, why not present evidence based studies to support your layman's claim?

Yes it is your style. No need to apologize for being who you are.

I am well educated thank you and I have an opinion than differs from most. I do not buy into the notion that sadness or even extreme sadness cannot be overcome and that it's a mental illness. You can believe it if you wish.

These experts you speak have much to gain to convince you they are right.

Robin Williams did not leave a suicide note. Most serious suicides don't leave a note. Those who think they may be rescued at the last minute leave a note.

The reason why serious suicides like Robin Williams do not leave a note is because there's no one to leave a note too. They already think that no one cares enough to read the note. They don't apologize to loved ones because they don't feel they have any loved ones.

That is just so untrue. I was a member of a suicide support website (to support families of suicide victims). PLENTY of them left suicide notes, and I've read plenty of them.

It's funny, most of these ignoramuses won't even LOOK at the links. They've already made up their tiny narrow little ignorant minds and REFUSE to learn. How sad. Those kinds of people suck.

The links are written by those that buy into the notion that sadness is a mental disease and I'll wager they have much to gain in convincing you they are right.

Don't get depressed because someone disagrees with you. You may contemplate suicide.

Robin Williams did not leave a suicide note. Most serious suicides don't leave a note. Those who think they may be rescued at the last minute leave a note.

The reason why serious suicides like Robin Williams do not leave a note is because there's no one to leave a note too. They already think that no one cares enough to read the note. They don't apologize to loved ones because they don't feel they have any loved ones.

So what I am gathering from your amateurish analysis is:

1) Robin Williams was serious about suicide (fairly obvious)
2) Robin Williams did not believe he'd be rescued at the last minute (fairly obvious)
3) Robin Williams believed nobody cared enough to read a note
4) Robin Williams believed nobody loved him

Tell me, armchair psychologist, why Robin Williams would believe his wife and children hated him.

Thrall me with your acumen.

I already stated that I was referring to people who suffer from chronic depression and the serious suicide attempts or completions. Not the ones where teen Judy is sad because her boyfriend Bobby broke her heart.

Like I said....But its all just guesses to justify how you want to feel about yourself.

Your compassion is actually about how you want to be seen regarding what you think was the problem, not about the choice he made.

WHAT? I don't know what you're talking about. I am talking about people who are suffering from chronic depression. What are you talking about?

How do you know who does or does not deserve your empathy?

I've been reading back for years now about RW addictions, rehabs and interviews.. Mental illness is never mentioned, ever. Its the excuse being used now to address what may not be relevant to his situation.

It is so ironic that your user name contains the word "logic." :lol:

:cuckoo:

You must be looking in the mirror right now! Goodness! You are the one who is ignoring the links I've posted in which professionals are TELLING you that chronic depression is a serious mental illness, and suicide is just one of the sad outcomes. You just refuse to accept this valid information. I don't know why, so I must assume you are an ignorant and illogical person who is incapable of learning any new information. Either that, or perhaps you prefer to remain ignorant. I've known plenty of people like that too. Sad really. I feel sorry for you. Open your mind!!!

Calling you crazy is me looking in the mirror?

I read the links dumbass but as I've stated they will not change my mind because I don't buy into their mumbo jumbo bullshit.

It's value is only as much as you give it. I give it none.

You sound depressed.

de·pres·sion
noun \di-ˈpre-shən, dē-\

Good Lord, depression is the same as cancer in that it is a DISEASE. *rolls eyes*

It is MUCH more than just feeling sad. Clearly you don't have any idea what you are talking about.

It's no more a disease than anger is.

I've been reading back for years now about RW addictions, rehabs and interviews.. Mental illness is never mentioned, ever. Its the excuse being used now to address what may not be relevant to his situation.

Of course, I'm addressing people's reactions to the situation, even if he DID suffer from chronic depression. I'm not understanding what it is you are trying to argue with me. I never stated that I knew personally of RW's situation. I'm just stating some facts about chronic depression and suicide, so that the people who don't understand could maybe learn something instead of just saying that because a person completed suicide, that automatically means he or she is selfish and a coward.

de·pres·sion
noun \di-ˈpre-shən, dē-\

You are just wrong. It most certainly is. There is even evidence of chemical imbalances in the brain.

What a ridiculous question.

That's a decision everybody makes on a daily basis, are you implying they should seek direction from a superbenevolent, uncorruptible authority figure? :eusa_whistle:

You are just wrong. It most certainly is. There is even evidence of chemical imbalances in the brain.

I'm wrong?

I'm not the one that said cancer and "depression are exactly the same".

Emotions are chemical imbalances in the brain?

No, I think it's a clear sign of a perfectly normal functioning brain.

That's a decision everybody makes on a daily basis, are you implying they should seek direction from a superbenevolent, uncorruptible authority figure? :eusa_whistle:

Not ridiculous at all. You want to believe he was ill and therefore somehow a victim, so you can feel like you're a compassionate person. If he wasn't ill are you still justified sitting on your high horse judging others? ChrisL as much admitted not all suicided are to be taken equally.

I'm wrong?

I'm not the one that said cancer and "depression are exactly the same".

Emotions are chemical imbalances in the brain?

No, I think it's a clear sign of a perfectly normal functioning brain.

I'm done with you on this matter. You don't know what you're talking about and sound quite childish about this subject. Why you would refuse to acknowledge a widely known and accepted mental illness that has been studied for YEARS by experts is beyond me, but it is FAR from logical. I guess you should start writing letters to the experts to tell them they are all wrong about chronic depression, and that it's not real and these people only kill themselves because they are weak, horrible people who just want to hurt their loved ones. *rolls eyes* I have to go to work now, so have a good day.

Maybe SOME of you will read the links and TRY to understand.

Not ridiculous at all. You want to believe he was ill and therefore somehow a victim, so you can feel like you're a compassionate person. If he wasn't ill are you still justified sitting on your high horse judging others? ChrisL as much admitted not all suicided are to be taken equally.

You're making assumptions about my beliefs. I was simply answering your question.

Everyone is responsible for deciding who deserves our empathy, on an individual basis. It requires use of judgment, which I know is taboo in today's society, but hey... doesn't change reality.

Don't know what you're talking about. I'm addressing the issue of suicide and chronic mental illness. Whether or not RW suffered from such, I can't say, but that doesn't make the reactions of some of the people here absolutely despicable, especially to those of us who have been personally affected by suicide. Not only that, but I also type reports about suicides, attempted suicides, and all kinds of mental illnesses every day for my job as a medical transcriptionist. Also, I have argued this issue exhaustively in the past on other forums and have done my research, and I know what I'm talking about.

If you have some kind of issue with me personally, then too bad. Suck it up and stick to the topic which is about suicide and Shepherd Smith's ignorant comments.

Because you don't understand their despair and you don't understand that these thoughts are PART of the mental illness.

I understand it completely.

And in that understanding, and knowing that by giving up you can inflict the same disease on those you leave behind by the mere sadness/emptiness/shock created by your death (coupled by the fact that those same loved ones likely have it in their genetic make-up), you are doing it not only to yourself but also to all of them and in that - it's cowardly.

You're hurting others so that your hurt stops.

What a bullshit post.

Mourning/grieving is sadness, it is not depression. That ignorant jackasses equate all sadness as depression is the main problem.

Newsflash for the retards of society: Just because you don't have a smile pasted to that dumbass face of yours doesn't mean you are ill. Stop referring to sadness as depression, it is unjust to those of us who are suffering from it on a daily basis.

Sadness can trigger depression, genius. That was the crux of my post, and your inane response was a waste.

Don't know what you're talking about. I'm addressing the issue of suicide and chronic mental illness. Whether or not RW suffered from such, I can't say,but that doesn't make the reactions of some of the people here absolutely despicable, especially to those of us who have been personally affected by suicide. Not only that, but I also type reports about suicides, attempted suicides, and all kinds of mental illnesses every day for my job as a medical transcriptionist. Also, I have argued this issue exhaustively in the past on other forums and have done my research, and I know what I'm talking about.

If you have some kind of issue with me personally, then too bad. Suck it up and stick to the topic which is about suicide and Shepherd Smith's ignorant comments.

Are you stupid?

Forum List

Back