FOX's Shep kicks dead celebrity

You are just wrong. It most certainly is. There is even evidence of chemical imbalances in the brain.

I'm wrong?

I'm not the one that said cancer and "depression are exactly the same".

Emotions are chemical imbalances in the brain?

No, I think it's a clear sign of a perfectly normal functioning brain.

I'm done with you on this matter. You don't know what you're talking about and sound quite childish about this subject. Why you would refuse to acknowledge a widely known and accepted mental illness that has been studied for YEARS by experts is beyond me, but it is FAR from logical. I guess you should start writing letters to the experts to tell them they are all wrong about chronic depression, and that it's not real and these people only kill themselves because they are weak, horrible people who just want to hurt their loved ones. *rolls eyes* I have to go to work now, so have a good day.

Maybe SOME of you will read the links and TRY to understand.

Childish people run away when challenged.

I'm not going anywhere.

I don't believe something just because everyone else does. I don't put a lot of confidence in professions that seek to make money scamming gullible people.

Depression aka sadness is real, but it's not a mental disease. Yes, they kill themselves because they are weak and don't have the will power to persevere. It's a selfish, cowardly act so I doubt they are thinking of anyone other than themselves.

I understand it completely.

And in that understanding, and knowing that by giving up you can inflict the same disease on those you leave behind by the mere sadness/emptiness/shock created by your death (coupled by the fact that those same loved ones likely have it in their genetic make-up), you are doing it not only to yourself but also to all of them and in that - it's cowardly.

You're hurting others so that your hurt stops.

What a bullshit post.

Mourning/grieving is sadness, it is not depression. That ignorant jackasses equate all sadness as depression is the main problem.

Newsflash for the retards of society: Just because you don't have a smile pasted to that dumbass face of yours doesn't mean you are ill. Stop referring to sadness as depression, it is unjust to those of us who are suffering from it on a daily basis.

Sadness can trigger depression, genius. That was the crux of my post, and your inane response was a waste.

The crux of your post was incorrect, which my response (which I apparently have to spell out for you) was appropriate.

Sadness and depression are two different beasts entirely. Sadness may lead to unhealthy behaviors which promote depression, but you're not going to "catch" depression because you're fucking unhappy.

What a ridiculous question.

That's a decision everybody makes on a daily basis, are you implying they should seek direction from a superbenevolent, uncorruptible authority figure? :eusa_whistle:

Not ridiculous at all. You want to believe he was ill and therefore somehow a victim, so you can feel like you're a compassionate person. If he wasn't ill are you still justified sitting on your high horse judging others? ChrisL as much admitted not all suicided are to be taken equally.

You're making assumptions about my beliefs. I was simply answering your question.

Everyone is responsible for deciding who deserves our empathy, on an individual basis. It requires use of judgment, which I know is taboo in today's society, but hey... doesn't change reality.
Oh Wake, you do try I'll give you that.

My question was to ChrisL so your reply was self serving at best. If you kept up with the discussion it is his view not all suicides are equal, therefore not deserving of our sympathies. But Shep and those who feel the same way are being trashed by him and yourself among many others. Unlesss you are lying and your superior smug attitude is just for show I am not assuming anything.

Its hypocrisy at its best

Not ridiculous at all. You want to believe he was ill and therefore somehow a victim, so you can feel like you're a compassionate person. If he wasn't ill are you still justified sitting on your high horse judging others? ChrisL as much admitted not all suicided are to be taken equally.

You're making assumptions about my beliefs. I was simply answering your question.

Everyone is responsible for deciding who deserves our empathy, on an individual basis. It requires use of judgment, which I know is taboo in today's society, but hey... doesn't change reality.

My question was to ChrisL so your reply was self serving at best. If you kept up with the discussion it is his view not all suicides are equal, therefore not deserving of our sympathies. But Shep and those who feel the same way are being trashed by him and yourself among many others. Unlesss you are lying and your superior smug attitude is just for show I am not assuming anything.

I'm not Wake, yet another incorrect assumption on your part.

Keep it up, it's entertaining.

Suicide, in my opinion - is a very selfish act.
People who do this leave a lot of people behind - in pain - for years and years.
Taking one's own life is a horrible thing to do - on so many levels.

I'm not Wake, yet another incorrect assumption on your part.

Keep it up, it's entertaining.
Thats true...sorry :lol:

Could it be more obvious that the guy was wrestling with something about himself rather than the deceased?

What was he thinking.?

Sheppard Smith suggesting the late Robin Williams might just have been a 'coward' for committing suicide was a new low for on air 'live coverage' on August 11.....

....Maybe someone can smack it into Shep's plastic surgery repaired face that what might be cowardice is to sit behind a microphone and bad mouth a dead man less than 24 hours after his demise in a forum where his family and friends can hear it.

...When networks realize that the answer to all breaking news is NOT to have some high paid blowhard simply ad-lib endlessly while the facts are being uncovered, the better off all news channels will be.

Suicide is a cowardly act.

This is unsurprisingly ignorant.

What was he thinking.?

Sheppard Smith suggesting the late Robin Williams might just have been a 'coward' for committing suicide was a new low for on air 'live coverage' on August 11.....

....Maybe someone can smack it into Shep's plastic surgery repaired face that what might be cowardice is to sit behind a microphone and bad mouth a dead man less than 24 hours after his demise in a forum where his family and friends can hear it.

...When networks realize that the answer to all breaking news is NOT to have some high paid blowhard simply ad-lib endlessly while the facts are being uncovered, the better off all news channels will be.

Prove that it's not a cowardly act. How brave does a person have to be to free themselves from the struggles of life by ending it?

What was he thinking.?

I didn't watch the segment but I can understand how Shep might have been angry at Williams and saying what he did out of a sense of hurt that someone we all loved and enjoyed so much could take the easy way out and deprive the world and each one of us who loved him of his talent.

Who can blame Shep for feeling that way if that's how he felt?

Prove that it's not a cowardly act. How brave does a person have to be to free themselves from the struggles of life by ending it?

It STOPS being an act of bravery once there is no more reason, in the victim's perception, to live.

Then suicide becomes an escape. A release. The easy way out.

'Let's see, should I continue living with all of this shit i'd have to deal with? Ugh.'

'Or should I just kill myself and forget all about these boring problems and problematic situations I've created in this life and instead explore what MIGHT be an exciting new world and a new civilization in the hereafter and boldly go where I have never gone before?'

[cue "Star Trek" theme]

Shit, yes it's the easy way out if you have no reasons or fewer reasons to live.

What a bullshit post.

Mourning/grieving is sadness, it is not depression. That ignorant jackasses equate all sadness as depression is the main problem.

Newsflash for the retards of society: Just because you don't have a smile pasted to that dumbass face of yours doesn't mean you are ill. Stop referring to sadness as depression, it is unjust to those of us who are suffering from it on a daily basis.

Sadness can trigger depression, genius. That was the crux of my post, and your inane response was a waste.

The crux of your post was incorrect, which my response (which I apparently have to spell out for you) was appropriate.

Sadness and depression are two different beasts entirely. Sadness may lead to unhealthy behaviors which promote depression, but you're not going to "catch" depression because you're fucking unhappy.

If you have depression in your genes, you can trigger it through sadness.

Sorry, it's true.

Sorry, it's true.

Stop trumpeting your ignorance. It's unbecoming.

Depression is a disturbance in the flow of neural information due to changes in brain chemistry.

Being unhappy doesn't change your physical make-up. Your RESPONSE to unhappiness (poor diet, poor sleep habits, drug abuse, et) CAN affect your brain chemistry.

Now if you were to say stress caused depression, that would be a valid claim. Stress wears down the body's immune system.

Also, I believe we're talking about two different types of depression (acute vs. chronic). As chronic depression is what I have experience with, it's what I think of when depression is discussed. Acute depression (or, circumstantial depression) is a glorified, temporary state of the blues.

Chronic depression is a completely different beast.

Ever read a suicide note? If you had, you would see that a lot of times these people are desperate for an escape from their unhappiness. They usually will apologize profusely to their loved ones they leave behind, and they actually believe that killing themselves is the only option they have left.

The apology would indicate they knew the pain they'd leave behind.

And they still pulled the trigger.

To me, that is clear cut cowardice. It's the easier way out as opposed to continuing the fight.

It's the man that shields bullets from himself by using his wife as a shield.

Jesus, when did you become a mean-spirited Republican?

Ever read a suicide note? If you had, you would see that a lot of times these people are desperate for an escape from their unhappiness. They usually will apologize profusely to their loved ones they leave behind, and they actually believe that killing themselves is the only option they have left.

To me, that is clear cut cowardice. It's the easier way out as opposed to continuing the fight.

mean or not mean isn't even relevant

its sad and im sad he's dead

it's just a viewpoint

Sorry, it's true.

Stop trumpeting your ignorance. It's unbecoming.

Depression is a disturbance in the flow of neural information due to changes in brain chemistry.

Being unhappy doesn't change your physical make-up. Your RESPONSE to unhappiness (poor diet, poor sleep habits, drug abuse, et) CAN affect your brain chemistry.

Now if you were to say stress caused depression, that would be a valid claim. Stress wears down the body's immune system.

Also, I believe we're talking about two different types of depression (acute vs. chronic). As chronic depression is what I have experience with, it's what I think of when depression is discussed. Acute depression (or, circumstantial depression) is a glorified, temporary state of the blues.

Chronic depression is a completely different beast.

In order for your post not to be a glorified shit fest of meaninglessness, you'd have to be positing that sadness does not cause a person stress.

Stop high horsing, sadness, pain, loss, grief can all trigger depression.

it's just a viewpoint

I won't comment on why he did it because I wasn't there, so I don't know what he was going through.

My main thought is sadness, and wondering if something could have been done to prevent it.

Suicide is a big topic in the military. Friends of mine have done it. Always the regret that if you had just known maybe he'd still be alive.

it's just a viewpoint

I won't comment on why he did it because I wasn't there, so I don't know what he was going through.

My main thought is sadness, and wondering if something could have been done to prevent it.

Suicide is a big topic in the military. Friends of mine have done it. Always the regret that if you had just known maybe he'd still be alive.

I have similar thoughts. Sometimes the littlest thing can be the preventative measure. :(

Forum List

Back