France outlaws burkas

I don't think muslims should be allowed to wear anything in public that they could conceal a BOMB under, woman, man or otherwise. They've "blown" that privilege.

Fear and intimidation. That's how rights are stripped away.

I'm just wondering when do I get to see the French version of this?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKYjCeXmz6w&has_verified=1[/ame]

I can understand why they did it...but are they not condemning some women to choosing between their religious beliefs and their ability to leave the house?

:eusa_eh:

do you support muslim countries in their right to ban or strongly curtail other religions? after all, what i hear from many lefties in defense of islamic law is, 'its their country'

When can we ban NASCAR and baseball hats worn backwards, regular and sideways?

I turn them forwards and wait. Every single one of them just walks away until they think I can't see and turns them back. Funnier than Hell.

I can understand why they did it...

Seriously, though, I think this is wrong... unless it was for a matter of imminent threat...

I hope this doesn't survive French courts, it is blatant descrimination (sic)
Yep. Fear makes people do stupid things and take away everyone's freedom to dress as they please.

If you aren't doing anything wrong who cares how you dress? It would actually benefit society at large if some people went around with bags over their heads.

You seem conflicted. And that is a good thing.

Perhaps some day you'll even be able to contemplate a reasonable hypothetical question that forces you to evaluate such inner-conflict.

maybe...

I can understand why they did it...but are they not condemning some women to choosing between their religious beliefs and their ability to leave the house?

do you support muslim countries in their right to ban or strongly curtail other religions? after all, what i hear from many lefties in defense of islamic law is, 'its their country'
No, I don't. I am however more concerned with what France does, them being a democratic country and all and one that I sometimes visit.

I hate to see democratic countries act like oppressive regimes.

I can understand why they did it...

Seriously, though, I think this is wrong... unless it was for a matter of imminent threat...

I hope this doesn't survive French courts, it is blatant descrimination (sic)
Yep. Fear makes people do stupid things and take away everyone's freedom to dress as they please.

If you aren't doing anything wrong who cares how you dress? It would actually benefit society at large if some people went around with bags over their heads.

You seem conflicted. And that is a good thing.

Perhaps some day you'll even be able to contemplate a reasonable hypothetical question that forces you to evaluate such inner-conflict.

maybe...
Are people in burkas blowing things up in France? No? Then it isn't a matter of an imminent threat.

I don't think muslims should be allowed to wear anything in public that they could conceal a BOMB under, woman, man or otherwise. They've "blown" that privilege.
A bunch of nekkid Muslims walking around? No thanks.

I can't hide a bomb on me anywhere, and I don't walk around naked.

I think that might even be half the reason muslims want to wear sheets and curtains and all those total body covering drapes thingies, is because they know if they want to strap on a bomb, nobody is going to be able to see it, and I'm sure that had a lot to do with why France outlawed the burka. I say good for France. I might even feel safer there now if I visit.

No, I don't. I am however more concerned with what France does, them being a democratic country and all and one that I sometimes visit.

I hate to see democratic countries act like oppressive regimes.

perhaps its liberating, at least that is how they view it

I think that might even be half the reason muslims want to wear sheets and curtains and all those total body covering drapes thingies, is because they know if they want to strap on a bomb, nobody is going to be able to see it, and I'm sure that had a lot to do with why France outlawed the burka. I say good for France. I might even feel safer there now if I visit.

They didn't outlaw trenchcoats.

...and where is the outrage in the Middle East over the law? Imagine what the Imam's would be saying if we had done this is the US.

France would be nothing without their flashers.

I'm tired of government dictating how women dress. France is no different than Iran now.

Um... France is Stoning Women who have been Raped and Executing Homosexuals for Acting on their Urges?...

Wow, I had no Idea.

France is Dealing with Terrorists on their Streets like People in Arizona are Dealing with Mexican Nationals taking Jobs...

If you don't like, Move out of France.

:)

peace...

im talking about in terms of dress. obviously France isn't stoning anybody. but my point is that dictating how women dress is something that a country like Iran would do.

so those who support france shouldn't complain about Iran's enforced hijab anymore because France is dictating how women dress.

my thing is why is women's dress always the focus of these type of clothing laws? it's sexism at it's finest.

It has nothing to do with sexism nimrod unless it was you women trying to burn Paris down.

Probably because they don't view the wearing of trenchcoats as an imminent threat.

But if they come to, then this would be clear precendent paving the way to banning them too.

Excellent contribution to this dialogue :thup:

Um... France is Stoning Women who have been Raped and Executing Homosexuals for Acting on their Urges?...

Wow, I had no Idea.

France is Dealing with Terrorists on their Streets like People in Arizona are Dealing with Mexican Nationals taking Jobs...

If you don't like, Move out of France.

:)

peace...

im talking about in terms of dress. obviously France isn't stoning anybody. but my point is that dictating how women dress is something that a country like Iran would do.

so those who support france shouldn't complain about Iran's enforced hijab anymore because France is dictating how women dress.

my thing is why is women's dress always the focus of these type of clothing laws? it's sexism at it's finest.

It has nothing to do with sexism nimrod unless it was you women trying to burn Paris down.
Actually, I see it as a form of sexism, too. Of course, those women who are coerced into wearing one by the males in their lives is blatantly sexist. But, there are women who freely choose to wear one (so I hear). Taking away a woman's choice is sexist on its face.

Now, government's prevention of sexism is usually a good idea, in my book. But, at the cost of another inalienable right - freedom of religion - seems like a bad idea.

If they can show that all women who wear one are coerced into doing so, I might give this law further consideration.

Forum List

Back