Francis Keys bridge hit by ship. Bridge collapses, mass casualty event.

10 mph still isn't much of a wind. Especially with a ship that weighs as much as that cargo ship. I figure it weighs 40,000 to 50,000 tons fully loaded. 10 mph winds isn't going to bother it much. It depends on the currents and the speed.

I spent 3 years going to sea on an aircraft carrier. The wind is almost always blowing. That's the primary cause of swells. The stronger the winds the bigger the swells. 10 mph will cause 4-6 ft swells at sea. I've been at sea in the path of hurricanes and had 30 ft swells pounding us.

You're right. I actually did the math.

Assumed 10 mph wind, 10E6 kg cargo ship, 1000 m2 sail. Assuming it could drift for the 90 seconds the video shows power was out, I get only about a foot (0.25m) of drift.

I was clearly incorrect.

Interestingly, the anchor on the port side was dropped and dragged, but the ship turned towards starboard before hitting the bridge...

Thanks,
Jim

us-transport-incident.jpg

Assumed 10 mph wind, 10E6 kg cargo ship, 1000 m2 sail. Assuming it could drift for the 90 seconds the video shows power was out, I get only about a foot (0.25m) of drift.

I was clearly incorrect.

Interestingly, the anchor on the port side was dropped and dragged, but the ship turned towards starboard before hitting the bridge...

Thanks,
Jim

That pic ironically looks like it could be a Dali painting…but it needs to melt a little.

Local update from a few minutes ago:
Divers located a truck and marked it with a buoy. The truck split into 2 pieces. :(

We have rain coming into the area in a few hours. That's going to stir the silt in the river more than it already is.

Video of what it's like going across the bridge:

I was clearly incorrect.

Thanks,
Jim

They probably would have missed everything if they had just maintained course.

“many many times commuting from the state of Delaware either by train or by car.”

Like it was yesterday!

Truinnerashuvaduprezure!!!!

That is so hilarious, and it's so Biden; mouth full of lies.

Did the democrats stage that bridge damage in hopes they could look like super heroes coming to the rescue with Trump leading in that state by three points?

I think they really did stage that entire disaster. It was not an accident it was purposely done the White House.

As long as he rebuilds the Key Bridge for Baltimoreans it won't make much difference...

Better a half-senile old coot who can still get things done than a starting-to-go-senile Orange Cheetoh gone power-mad...

When the Skyway Bridge was rebuilt 40 years ago after a collision they put barriers around it.
So...20 years AFTER the FS Key Bridge was built?
President Biden already promised that the federal government would pick up the tab and appealed to Congress for more money. I am shocked, SHOCKED I SAY!
In fairness, it is I-695.
Not that are going to take a hit from a fully loaded ship that size.
Pablum.
Biden announces the federal government will pay for the bridge.

So, why? Why is the federal government paying for the bridge?

Is it so they can look like heroes in the hopes of votes?

Is it so Biden can talk about jobs he created?

Is it because they are the ones who destroyed it?

Their friends want the contracts and sweet sweet federal funding dollars?

It IS an Interstate highway.

I was clearly incorrect.

Thanks,
Jim

Rudder may have been over.

I don’t think this bridge was particularly fragile

I mean, most bridges will collapse if a cargo ship collides into them.
From the video, it looks to me like the ship was moving a lot faster than I think was wise in contained waters. After the first power failure, it looks like she went to full astern on her engine, but you can't stop that kind of mass quickly.

This one hit close for my fa
That must be why it collapsed. Driving a train on a car bridge.
I would like to see Karine spin the answer if someone asked

Biden has said he remembers using the train to cross that bridge, Is he concerned that using a train on a bridge designed for auto traffic only in some way negatively impacted the stability of the bridge and how man other bridges built for auto traffic only has the president used a train on. Follow up will the WH request inspections of those bridges the president has used trains on to verify his actions did not also damage those structures

Local update from a few minutes ago:
Divers located a truck and marked it with a buoy. The truck split into 2 pieces. :(

We have rain coming into the area in a few hours. That's going to stir the silt in the river more than it already is.

Video of what it's like going across the bridge:

11 million vehicles per year traverse the bridge. 30,000 per day.

Detours would include the 895 or Ft. McHenry tunnels, but they don't allow HazMat.

It's going to be a mess for a long while. Let's see how the local and fed officials respond to this disaster.

No good. Those tunnels are banned from having haz-mat carrying trucks going under the harbor. That was the only hazmat designated truck route in the area. This is going to be HUGE.
The bridge might not have allowed hazmat trucks across either. In the early seventies when I was stationed at Presidio San Francisco, neither the Golden Gate nor Bay Bridges allowed hazmat loaded trucks across, we had to route trucks all the way around San Francisco Bay and approach the northern side of the Golden Gate from the north east across one of the smaller bridges around Concord. Five miles as the crow flew was well over a hundred as the truck drove.

Twit I saw claimed the company who owns/runs the ship are big time DEI wonks. Be a real kick in the ass if inexperienced people were operating the ship, in the interest of furthering DEI.
The ship would have been under the legal control of a harbor pilot, not the crew.

Forum List

Back