Fried Chicken and Watermelon to Celebrate Black History Month

White people eat just as much fried chicken and watermelon as blacks. The association of fried chicken and watermelon dates to a very racist movie, Birth of a Nation in 1915 in which blacks were portrayed as shiftless and lazy and showed them devouring fried chicken and watermelon. That image really solidified the way white people thought of black people. In thousands of cartoon, black people were pictured stuffing watermelon in their mouth or waving drumsticks. It's racial stereotyping meant to convey the message that blacks are all unsophisticated and lack the intelligence to eat anything other than food the most simplest food.

Black dude eating a watermelon. - YouTube

I don't think anyone wants to be inaccurately characterized like this and it's certainly not appropriate for black history month.

so you really think school kids know about a film that is 100 years old?

They dont have to know about the film. They are just taught the attitudes handed down from people brainwashed by the movie.

You.Are.An.Idiot

If you are the type of person that believes only Black people eat chicken and watermelon someone in your family saw it and passed it down or it was taught to you by someone affected by that movie. Thats where the stereotype came from. It was a national campaign to change public opinion concerning Black people. True story.

Culture Shock: Flashpoints: Theater, Film, and Video: D.W. Griffith's The Birth of a Nation

i have never
heard of anyone who thought that black people were the only ones who eat fired chicken and watermelon.

Tell me you are kidding. You never heard of that stereotype until now?

I'm with syrenn. I've never heard of a stereotype that Only Black People eat Fried Chicken and Watermelon.

Jeebus...Colonel Saunders is a white guy who peddled fried chicken - that's my dominant childhood understanding of the importance of fried chicken: one can buy buckets full at KFC.

It reminds me of the stereotype that all white people eat macaroni and cheese with bread crumbs or potato chips on top. I personally think that is disgusting but I have witnessed it before.

That's a stereotype?

Somebody tell Homeroom in Oakland!

i have never
heard of anyone who thought that black people were the only ones who eat fired chicken and watermelon.

I'm with syrenn. I've never heard of a stereotype that Only Black People eat Fried Chicken and Watermelon.

Jeebus...Colonel Saunders is a white guy who peddled fried chicken - that's my dominant childhood understanding of the importance of fried chicken: one can buy buckets full at KFC.

Well you'd have to be a little versed in American history to understand how offensive it is.

You see at the start of this country, the founders allowed slaves.

And those slaves were Black Americans.

That went on until around 1863 when the Emancipation Proclamation was signed and the Conservatives of this nation decided to do what they do best, throw a reactionary fit. And that started the Civil War.

But that didn't end problems for Black Americans. Conservatives introduced Jim Crow laws in the south and basically stuffed Black Americans into crowded ghettoes through out most of the nation.

So Black Americans really sort of had a rough time of it here..and yeah, they get a little insulted about stereotypes.

That's never worked out to well.

It reminds me of the stereotype that all white people eat macaroni and cheese with bread crumbs or potato chips on top. I personally think that is disgusting but I have witnessed it before.
I don't think we should stereotype any race, ethnic group, or religion. People should be treated as individuals. No black man or white man is responsible for the actions of another. There are no two people on the face of this earth who are the same. We are all different and should be treated as such.

When we condone racial stereotyping without speaking out, we are just as guilty as those that perpetrate it. People say it's all in fun and doesn't hurt anyone but that's not true. It does hurt people and it hurts them badly.

i don't think you should stereotype based upon race but i think you can make very broad generalizations based upon cultures (ethnicities?) and religious persuasions because cultures and religions inculcate and teach certain values and habits to their members, and those broad generalizations are, essentially, stereotypes, and you probably do it as well as i do as well as everyone else does.

that being said though, it is wrong to judge any individual based upon the general attitudes of the cultural or religious group to which he or she belongs.

kinda like saying mormons don't drink...that is a stereotype, but close to true.

also, the validity and causes of the stereotypes should be examined. kinda like if you said "X people are lazy" when the case may be that "Y employers do not hire people who are X because Y people are prejudiced and won't give them a chance to work."

Last edited:

Well you'd have to be a little versed in American history to understand how offensive it is.

You see at the start of this country, the founders allowed slaves.

And those slaves were Black Americans.

That went on until around 1863 when the Emancipation Proclamation was signed and the Conservatives of this nation decided to do what they do best, throw a reactionary fit. And that started the Civil War.

But that didn't end problems for Black Americans. Conservatives introduced Jim Crow laws in the south and basically stuffed Black Americans into crowded ghettoes through out most of the nation.

So Black Americans really sort of had a rough time of it here..and yeah, they get a little insulted about stereotypes.

That's never worked out to well.

It's been a stereotype forever. I remember feeling my grandmother was racist when I was about 9 years old. The point that a couple of posters here are trying to make is we think that only Blacks eat chicken and watermelon.

Which isn't the point at all.

The OP was trolling, trying to get a rise out of people. He isn't cute or funny but he is transparent.

Fried chicken is fucking good. I like water melon too, if its seedless. I hate eating any fruit with seeds. These might be MORE popular in the black community, but they don't own it. Everyone loves that shit.

I am not fan of the watermelon...have never like it or honey dew melons.

I'd rather have cantaloupe.

as a child, i found that watermelon seeds were the best for spitting at my little brother. huneydew and canteloupe just doesn't cut it.

Is it racist to put Aunt Jemimah's delicious syrup on me waffles?

Yep. And Uncle Ben's Rice is totally racist.

Blacks don't want roll models and have no pride. So they whine as they think everything is offense.

Grow up.

You should think before you make such statements. I am certain that I know way more blacks than you do, which include my own children and grandchildren, and everyone of them have pride, as well as role models.

really??... that is a "white stereotype"

never heard of that one either......what movie was that in?

Never saw white people being generalized in a racist movie. I do know plenty of white folk who do eat it with breadcrumbs or potato chips on top. Not all though. A lot of Black people politely decline to eat it when offered.

White people eat just as much fried chicken and watermelon as blacks.

Interesting, and irrelevant.

The association of fried chicken and watermelon dates to a very racist movie, Birth of a Nation in 1915 in which blacks were portrayed as shiftless and lazy and showed them devouring fried chicken and watermelon.

No it does not. There is no scene anywhere in that movie showing them eating watermelon, and the entire movie only shows one person eating fried chicken.

Sorry,, but one scene in a movie no one but racists has ever scene does not a stereotype make.

You, however, being a racist dick, have no problem lying about the facts. You also never admit you are wrong, so I expect you to ignore this, or try and find someone to back up your delusions.

That image really solidified the way white people thought of black people.

I have a question. Given that scene doesn't have watermelon, how did it force people who have never seen it to associate watermelons with black people? Do you think it is remotly possible that the association might come from somewhere else?

In thousands of cartoon, black people were pictured stuffing watermelon in their mouth or waving drumsticks.

Actually, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Learn.

It's racial stereotyping meant to convey the message that blacks are all unsophisticated and lack the intelligence to eat anything other than food the most simplest food.

I consider myself a pretty smart person, and I love fried chicken. In fact, I prefer simple foods, like a cheeseburger, to crap like foi gras and truffles. Does that make me stupid, or does it just prove you are a racist?

I don't think anyone wants to be inaccurately characterized like this and it's certainly not appropriate for black history month.

You don't think.

Truer words were never spoken.

Last edited by a moderator:
White people eat just as much fried chicken and watermelon as blacks. The association of fried chicken and watermelon dates to a very racist movie, Birth of a Nation in 1915 in which blacks were portrayed as shiftless and lazy and showed them devouring fried chicken and watermelon. That image really solidified the way white people thought of black people. In thousands of cartoon, black people were pictured stuffing watermelon in their mouth or waving drumsticks. It's racial stereotyping meant to convey the message that blacks are all unsophisticated and lack the intelligence to eat anything other than food the most simplest food.

Black dude eating a watermelon. - YouTube

so you really think school kids know about a film that is 100 years old?

They dont have to know about the film. They are just taught the attitudes handed down from people brainwashed by the movie.

I bet you cannot find anyone who actually saw that film that didn't see it as part of some stupid college class.

really? ive never seen the movie...and i doubt my parents saw it either. It is after all.... almost 100 years old.

If you are the type of person that believes only Black people eat chicken and watermelon someone in your family saw it and passed it down or it was taught to you by someone affected by that movie. Thats where the stereotype came from. It was a national campaign to change public opinion concerning Black people. True story.

Culture Shock: Flashpoints: Theater, Film, and Video: D.W. Griffith's The Birth of a Nation

The only people I know who think that only black people eat fried chicken are the pretentious assholes who get upset about serving fried chicken in February. I myself ate fried chicken 2 days ago, does that make you a racist?

Forum List

Back