Fried Chicken and Watermelon to Celebrate Black History Month

White people eat just as much fried chicken and watermelon as blacks. The association of fried chicken and watermelon dates to a very racist movie, Birth of a Nation in 1915 in which blacks were portrayed as shiftless and lazy and showed them devouring fried chicken and watermelon. That image really solidified the way white people thought of black people. In thousands of cartoon, black people were pictured stuffing watermelon in their mouth or waving drumsticks. It's racial stereotyping meant to convey the message that blacks are all unsophisticated and lack the intelligence to eat anything other than food the most simplest food.

Black dude eating a watermelon. - YouTube

I don't think anyone wants to be inaccurately characterized like this and it's certainly not appropriate for black history month.

so you really think school kids know about a film that is 100 years old?
I doubt it but I don't thing a stereotype like this is fitting for black history month.

It reminds me of the stereotype that all white people eat macaroni and cheese with bread crumbs or potato chips on top. I personally think that is disgusting but I have witnessed it before.
I don't think we should stereotype any race, ethnic group, or religion. People should be treated as individuals. No black man or white man is responsible for the actions of another. There are no two people on the face of this earth who are the same. We are all different and should be treated as such.

When we condone racial stereotyping without speaking out, we are just as guilty as those that perpetrate it. People say it's all in fun and doesn't hurt anyone but that's not true. It does hurt people and it hurts them badly.

Last edited:
It reminds me of the stereotype that all white people eat macaroni and cheese with bread crumbs or potato chips on top. I personally think that is disgusting but I have witnessed it before.

really??... that is a "white stereotype"

never heard of that one either......what movie was that in?

Beauty, I haven't either....:puke:

Beauty, I haven't either....:puke:

who knew.... glad it is not only me.

i was also under the impression that mac and cheese was "soul food"

White people eat just as much fried chicken and watermelon as blacks. The association of fried chicken and watermelon dates to a very racist movie, Birth of a Nation in 1915 in which blacks were portrayed as shiftless and lazy and showed them devouring fried chicken and watermelon. That image really solidified the way white people thought of black people. In thousands of cartoon, black people were pictured stuffing watermelon in their mouth or waving drumsticks. It's racial stereotyping meant to convey the message that blacks are all unsophisticated and lack the intelligence to eat anything other than food the most simplest food.

I don't think anyone wants to be inaccurately characterized like this and it's certainly not appropriate for black history month.

I doubt it but I don't thing a stereotype like this is fitting for black history month.

soul food... something that is such a rich part of black culture....something most black people are proud of...... is not a stereotype in my opinion.

one of the best ways to learn about culture in my opinion is through its food and food history.

now... if they were serving chitterlings.... they yes, i would say that is a stereotype and not appropriate.

Macaroni with bread crumbs is awesome. But I like fried chicken and watermelon(not together though), as well.

Never heard that eating macaroni with bread crumbs was a stereotype about white people though.

They dont have to know about the film. They are just taught the attitudes handed down from people brainwashed by the movie.

A stereotype not only portrayed in movies, but also a ubiquitous image throughout history in American marketing. No different than the caricatures used on Uncle Ben Rice, and Aunt Jemima syrup.

The Coon Obsession with Chicken & Watermelon

Tell me you are kidding. You never heard of that stereotype until now?

not kidding in the least.

That is amazing. You are the first person I know of that never heard of it.

Are you fucking retarded? No white person that has ever lived thought that. The stereo type is that black people eat it all the time, not that they are the only ones who eat it. God damn youre stupid. :lol:

Last edited:
Well, as a person of Irish descent, I'd just like to say that I am awfully tired of being stereotyped as one who enjoys green beer. Lets face it - the stuff doesn't look like something any intelligent person would digest. And, given the artificial dyes in it, actually no intelligent person should ingest it.

So, its obviously a clever ploy by the elite to depict the Irish as both stupid and possibly too drunk to care about ingesting that foul beverage every St. Patrick's Day.

On behalf of Irish-Americans, I am taking this moment to say that the time has come to give our people due respect. End the Irish oppression now! We will gladly take the fried chicken and watermelon off the hands of our black brothers if they aren't interested in it anymore. Sure beats green beer, right?

I don't think we should stereotype any race, ethnic group, or religion. People should be treated as individuals. No black man or white man is responsible for the actions of another. There are no two people on the face of this earth who are the same. We are all different and should be treated as such.

When we condone racial stereotyping without speaking out, we are just as guilty as those that perpetrate it. People say it's all in fun and doesn't hurt anyone but that's not true. It does hurt people and it hurts them badly.

As an example of racial stereotyping, it's hard to top Al Jolson's performances in blackface:

While Jolson's performance is now only of historical interest, some people ( admirers of Al Jolson) do get upset when the subject is brought up, as it detracts from how they wish to remember him as an entertainer.

Last edited by a moderator:

No they don't give a hit either way. Unless someone makes it a point to tell them they should.

Fried chicken is fucking good. I like water melon too, if its seedless. I hate eating any fruit with seeds. These might be MORE popular in the black community, but they don't own it. Everyone loves that shit.

I am not fan of the watermelon...have never like it or honey dew melons.

I'd rather have cantaloupe.

Forum List

Back