Fukushima Poisons California Newborns

georgephillip

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2009
Los Angeles, California
According to Joseph Mangano (see bio below) every newborn in California is tested for hypothyroidism, and when he studied changes in the rates of that disease for the 9 months after Fukushima's melt-down in 2011 and compared them to data from the previous year, he found an increase of 26% in the occurrence of hypothyroidism.

Unlike the Chernobyl meltdown in 1986, Fukushima continues to pollute the Pacific as the following exchange with TRNN's Jessica Desvarieux reveals:

"DESVARIEUX: And three years later, you know, people are still taking this seriously on this side of the Pacific Ocean. In San Francisco, the San Francisco city council voted in December to test the water for radioactive levels. I guess at the end of the day, if someone's watching this, they're going to ask themselves: should I be concerned? Should I be concerned about the fish that I consume that might be coming from that
area, or even local fish that is going to be coming from the Pacific Ocean?

"MANGANO: Well, I think evidence of that came last month, November 2013, by scientists at the University of Alaska at Fairbanks. They have been monitoring one of these many chemicals from Fukushima called cesium-137, and they're finding higher levels in the waters in the Pacific Ocean in Alaska. And they estimate that in the end the levels are going to reach the same amounts as they were in the mid-1960s.

"Now, in the mid-1960s, the United States and Soviet Union were exploding atomic bombs above the ground, hundreds of them, over 400 of them. And people were very, very frightened, not just about nuclear war, but about the fallout, to the point where both countries and the United Kingdom signed a treaty banning all above-ground tests.

"Everyone would agree that this was a threat to public health. President John F. Kennedy gave a speech talking about we need this treaty because our children's health is at risk here. And here we are at the University of Alaska saying this is going to be the same thing. So I believe we should have similar concerns as 50 years ago."

Scientists Link Spike in Thyroid Disease to Fukushima Disaster

Happy 2014

"Joseph Mangano MPH MBA is a health researcher, and Executive Director of the Radiation and Public Health Project (RPHP). The group is the only one in the U.S. with a specific mission of producing research on health hazards of nuclear reactors and weapons. Among Mangano's accomplishments are 32 medical journal articles, 53 newspaper editorials, 3 books, 27 press conferences on research findings, and testimony to 19 government agencies."

Last edited:
"And we looked at California, which, of course, is the most populated state, and we looked at the changes in the rates of hypothyroidism for the nine months after Fukushima compared to the previous year, and we found a 26 percent increase in the rate of hypothyroidism

"DESVARIEUX: Okay. I know there are going to be some skeptics that are going to say, how can you really make that direct correlation just because you're seeing this effect. How do you know it's really caused by the Fukushima nuclear disaster? Can you just speak to what are the other causes of hypothyroidism? And how did you rule them out in your study?

"MANGANO: There are very few other known causes of hypothyroidism other than exposure to radioactive iodine, and the same thing for the thyroid cancer as well, which iodine also raises the risk of, things like diet, you know, not enough iodine, nonradioactive, in the diet. But that doesn't occur in the U.S. It's mostly in Third World countries. Other things, like whether it runs in one's family and so on. As far as a real reason--oh, and history of hypo--of a thyroid disease, which doesn't occur in newborns. They're newborn. Really, this is it.

"So we're not saying that is no other reason that's causing this, but we have strong reason to believe that that's radiation from Fukushima that affected these little fetuses is a major cause, is most likely a major cause of this. And to prove it, we want to follow up and look at other conditions of the infants--other birth defects, infant deaths, low-weight births, premature births, things of that nature."

According to Joseph Mangano (see bio below) every newborn in California is tested for hypothyroidism, and when he studied changes in the rates of that disease for the 9 months after Fukushima's melt-down in 2011 and compared them to data from the previous year, he found an increase of 26% in the occurrence of hypothyroidism.

Unlike the Chernobyl meltdown in 1986, Fukushima continues to pollute the Pacific as the following exchange with TRNN's Jessica Desvarieux reveals:

"DESVARIEUX: And three years later, you know, people are still taking this seriously on this side of the Pacific Ocean. In San Francisco, the San Francisco city council voted in December to test the water for radioactive levels. I guess at the end of the day, if someone's watching this, they're going to ask themselves: should I be concerned? Should I be concerned about the fish that I consume that might be coming from that

"MANGANO: Well, I think evidence of that came last month, November 2013, by scientists at the University of Alaska at Fairbanks. They have been monitoring one of these many chemicals from Fukushima called cesium-137, and they're finding higher levels in the waters in the Pacific Ocean in Alaska. And they estimate that in the end the levels are going to reach the same amounts as they were in the mid-1960s.

"Now, in the mid-1960s, the United States and Soviet Union were exploding atomic bombs above the ground, hundreds of them, over 400 of them. And people were very, very frightened, not just about nuclear war, but about the fallout, to the point where both countries and the United Kingdom signed a treaty banning all above-ground tests.

"Everyone would agree that this was a threat to public health. President John F. Kennedy gave a speech talking about we need this treaty because our children's health is at risk here. And here we are at the University of Alaska saying this is going to be the same thing. So I believe we should have similar concerns as 50 years ago."

Happy 2014

"Joseph Mangano MPH MBA is a health researcher, and Executive Director of the Radiation and Public Health Project (RPHP). The group is the only one in the U.S. with a specific mission of producing research on health hazards of nuclear reactors and weapons. Among Mangano's accomplishments are 32 medical journal articles, 53 newspaper editorials, 3 books, 27 press conferences on research findings, and testimony to 19 government agencies."

TV News has all but stopped Fukushima coverage. CNN, owned by GE makes parts for nuclear reactors so no surprise there. But the coverage has continued on the web. ATS linked below is in fact a conspiracy website, but as the world's largest it's also actual news. Having used it for a number of years, I can attest their 'alternative news' section at least is as reliable as any news outlet since it links to those sites. It isn't all tin-foil hat people. :) And the link below is to their 'Japan' section with all things Fukushima:

AboveTopSecret forum: Japan, page 1

In particular, online radiation monitoring links are very nice.

Last edited:
Damn. Not good news at all.
If I understand the allegations being made, not only is the current situation really bad news, but unlike Chernobyl in '86, Fukushima's damaging effects can not be entombed. Hence, the news is likely to get much worse (especially around the Pacific rim)

Happy 2014

TV News has all but stopped Fukushima coverage. CNN, owned by GE makes parts for nuclear reactors so no surprise there. But the coverage has continued on the web. ATS linked below is in fact a conspiracy website, but as the world's largest it's also actual news. Having used it for a number of years, I can attest their 'alternative news' section at least is as reliable as any news outlet since it links to those sites. It isn't all tin-foil hat people. :) And the link below is to their 'Japan' section with all things Fukushima:

AboveTopSecret forum: Japan, page 1

In particular, online radiation monitoring links are very nice.
I'm beginning to wonder about the possibility of massive population transfers on both sides of the Pacific?

"DESVARIEUX: Are there similar studies being conducted in Japan? Can you refer to that? Because I'm assuming if we're seeing this happening in California, I mean, it should be astounding in Japan.

"MANGANO: That's a good question, because really the doses in Japan are hundreds, thousands of times higher than they were on the West Coast. Unfortunately, there have really been no studies in Japan except for one, and that is one that's being done by the Fukushima Medical University.

"They haven't looked at hypothyroidism, but what they've done is this: they have taken 200,000 children under age 18 who live relatively close to Fukushima, and they tested for two things.

"The first they tested for was thyroid cancer.

"And they have found up to 59 children have thyroid cancer.

"In a normal population, it's very rare in children. In a normal--we would expect one or two.

"They have 59.

"Second thing that they found is they through ultrasound look at the child's thyroid gland for precancerous lumps, you know, what they call cysts and nodules. And so far, 56 percent of children near Fukushima do in fact have a precancerous cyst or a nodule.

"And every year it gets higher--two years ago, 35 percent, last year 45 percent, this year 56 percent. Pretty soon we're going to find that almost every child in the area has a precancerous growth on their thyroid gland. And that is--to me that is a powerful statement about how dangerous this meltdown has been."

Last I heard, Chernobyl's plan to build a tomb over the site to hold in the radiation still leaking was on-hold since it lacked funding. Was only a few million dollars too. You'd think with how the mega rich are always trying to be philanthropists someone would step up.

Last I heard, Chernobyl's plan to build a tomb over the site to hold in the radiation still leaking was on-hold since it lacked funding. Was only a few million dollars too. You'd think with how the mega rich are always trying to be philanthropists someone would step up.
Maybe some of the maga rich would like to help clean the Pacific?

"Above-ground nuclear tests – which caused numerous cancers to the 'downwinders' – were covered up by the American, French and other governments for decades. See this, this, this, this, this and this.

"But the amount of radiation pumped out by Fukushima dwarfs the amount released by the nuclear tests.

"As nuclear engineer and former nuclear executive Arnie Gundersen notes, the wave of radioactive cesium from Fukushima which is going to hit the West Coast of North America will be 10 times greater than from the nuclear tests (starting at 55:00).

"This graphic from Woods Hole in Massachusetts – one of the world’s top ocean science institutions – shows how much more cesium was dumped into the sea off Japan from Fukushima as compared to nuclear testing and Chernobyl..."

Fukushima: Wave of Radiation Will Be Ten Times Bigger than All of the Radiation from Nuclear Tests Combined | Global Research

Forum List

Back