Gabby Giffords blasts Senate sellout

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/18/opinion/a-senate-in-the-gun-lobbys-grip.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

SENATORS say they fear the N.R.A. and the gun lobby. But I think that fear must be nothing compared to the fear the first graders in Sandy Hook Elementary School felt as their lives ended in a hail of bullets. The fear that those children who survived the massacre must feel every time they remember their teachers stacking them into closets and bathrooms, whispering that they loved them, so that love would be the last thing the students heard if the gunman found them.

On Wednesday, a minority of senators gave into fear and blocked common-sense legislation that would have made it harder for criminals and people with dangerous mental illnesses to get hold of deadly firearms — a bill that could prevent future tragedies like those in Newtown, Conn., Aurora, Colo., Blacksburg, Va., and too many communities to count.

Speaking is physically difficult for me. But my feelings are clear: I’m furious. I will not rest until we have righted the wrong these senators have done, and until we have changed our laws so we can look parents in the face and say: We are trying to keep your children safe. We cannot allow the status quo — desperately protected by the gun lobby so that they can make more money by spreading fear and misinformation — to go on.

I am asking every reasonable American to help me tell the truth about the cowardice these senators demonstrated. I am asking for mothers to stop these lawmakers at the grocery store and tell them: You’ve lost my vote.

How is what she thinks even relevant? I mean who the hell is she anyway?

poster child?
sympathy card?

California, I believe, has the most strict guns laws of any state yet politicians turn a blind eye to the thousands of guns smuggled into the state illegally from Mexico each year. We have more gang violence than any state yet the most strict gun laws.

We have more illegal guns on the street here than legal guns.

how can a party survive while doing the opposite of what 90% of the people want?

the bought party just outed its self

96% of the people don't care about the matter of the anti-gun legislation.

you liberal dumbcraps have outed yourselves.

And boy oh boy is the Obamessiah mad!

As for Gabby, I am still terribly sad about the injury she suffered, but I don't really give a rat's ass about her lectures.

ever hear of expectation of privacy?

not saying that is answer, but i can see the argument. what if you had to have a background check to buy alcohol, would you support that?
We restrict the sale of goods based on how dangerous the items are. It would be hard to argue that a fifth of liquor is more dangerous than an assault rifle.

the counter to that would be that alcohol is not protected under the constitution. what about a background check for a drivers license? autos are more dangerous than guns.
Unlike gun deaths, the primary cause of death from autos are unintentional accidents. There is a background check. If you have a suspended or revoked license you will not be issued a new license even in another state. To get a license to drive or even a renewal, the examining officer must believe you are competent to drive. He can refuse to issue a license for reason. A person convicted of vehicular homicide can and will probably be denied a licensed to drive. A person convicted of murder will have no problem buying weapons at a gun show. We do a far better job of controlling who sits in the driver's seat than who has his finger on the triggger.

Last edited:
Sure they did....with 90% of Americans supporting enhanced background checks
As the number of victims of gun violence increase each year, so will the resolve to take needed steps. Ultimately the NRA will be the cause of stiff gun control laws.

Giffords is right.

We can't count on Congress to do the right thing. We need a grassroots movement to haunt those Senators who voted against sensible background checks. Send Sandy Hook parents to fundraisers and public events when they are running for reelection. Let the parents of murdered children ask why they refuse to do anything about it

Until Giffords and her movement get more political clout than the NRA....nothing will be done

We saw that yesterday
Giffords is a soulless douchebag hack ghoul....She can suck it.

We restrict the sale of goods based on how dangerous the items are. It would be hard to argue that a fifth of liquor is more dangerous than an assault rifle.

the counter to that would be that alcohol is not protected under the constitution. what about a background check for a drivers license? autos are more dangerous than guns.
Unlike gun deaths, the primary cause of death from autos are unintentional accidents. There is a background check. If you have a suspended or revoked license you will not be issued a new license even in another state. To get a license to drive or even a renewal, the examining officer must believe you are competent to drive. He can refuse to issue a license for reason. A person convicted of vehicular homicide can and will probably be denied a licensed to drive. A person convicted of murder will have no problem buying weapons at a gun show. We do a far better job of controlling who sits in the driver's seat than who has his finger on the triggger.

what difference does it make how the deaths occur? is an intentional death more important than accidental death to you?

i thought issue was deaths. apparently you qualify the type of death in determining what kind of background check is necessary. i find that repulsive.

your last sentence is absolutely wrong. you even admit to it in your response. a background check is far more intrusive than anything you have to do to obtain a drivers license.

what difference does it make how the deaths occur? is an intentional death more important than accidental death to you?

i thought issue was deaths. apparently you qualify the type of death in determining what kind of background check is necessary. i find that repulsive.

your last sentence is absolutely wrong. you even admit to it in your response. a background check is far more intrusive than anything you have to do to obtain a drivers license.
An intentional death is preventable. An accidental death is unplanned, a happening by chance and thus is far less preventable than an intentional death. When considering saving lives, we should be more concerned with what we can be prevented than than what we might be able to prevent.

Of course we do a better job of controlling who drives than who has access to guns. Any one can legally obtain a gun from a gun show or from anyone on the street without violating the laws in most states.

Last edited:
California, I believe, has the most strict guns laws of any state yet politicians turn a blind eye to the thousands of guns smuggled into the state illegally from Mexico each year. We have more gang violence than any state yet the most strict gun laws.

These cities you are blathering about don't have strict background checks. No gun shows have them at all.

An intentional death is preventable. An accidental death is unplanned, a happening by chance and thus is far less preventable than an intentional death. When considering saving lives, we should be more concerned with what we can be prevented than than what we might be able to prevent.

Of course we do a better job of controlling who drives than who has access to guns. Any one can legally obtain a gun from a gun show or from anyone on the street without violating the laws in most states.

i disagree. an accidental death is preventable in the same vein as an intentional death. as to what we can prevent...BOTH kinds of death can be prevented.

you're dead wrong about "we do a better job". background checks on guns are far more stringent than what is required for a drivers license. i got my provisional at 15 and a half and my full license at 16 with no background check. i could have taken my car and plowed through dozens of people in southern california. to claim that a car is less dangerous than a gun shows you are wholly ignorant of auto deaths, injuries etc...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/18/opinion/a-senate-in-the-gun-lobbys-grip.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

SENATORS say they fear the N.R.A. and the gun lobby. But I think that fear must be nothing compared to the fear the first graders in Sandy Hook Elementary School felt as their lives ended in a hail of bullets. The fear that those children who survived the massacre must feel every time they remember their teachers stacking them into closets and bathrooms, whispering that they loved them, so that love would be the last thing the students heard if the gunman found them.

On Wednesday, a minority of senators gave into fear and blocked common-sense legislation that would have made it harder for criminals and people with dangerous mental illnesses to get hold of deadly firearms — a bill that could prevent future tragedies like those in Newtown, Conn., Aurora, Colo., Blacksburg, Va., and too many communities to count.

Speaking is physically difficult for me. But my feelings are clear: I’m furious. I will not rest until we have righted the wrong these senators have done, and until we have changed our laws so we can look parents in the face and say: We are trying to keep your children safe. We cannot allow the status quo — desperately protected by the gun lobby so that they can make more money by spreading fear and misinformation — to go on.

I am asking every reasonable American to help me tell the truth about the cowardice these senators demonstrated. I am asking for mothers to stop these lawmakers at the grocery store and tell them: You’ve lost my vote.

Gabby Giffords needs to recognize that the whole world doesn't revolve around her. Bad things happen to all of us, and other people have rights too. I really hate to break it to you fools, but asking about mental illness will not net the results that you think it will. People will lie, and mental health records are protected. You could get jail time for accessing them inappropriately. And you should.

73370_568266189861917_625950341_n.jpg

And a schizophrenic on his medication will pass with flying colors. And no one knows when he will go off them. They are all around you. The seriously and persistently mentally ill population stopped living in hospitals 15 years ago.

These cities you are blathering about don't have strict background checks. No gun shows have them at all.

I seriously doubt that the gang banger drug dealers who drive up the murder rate of my hometown of Oakland purchase their guns at local gun shows.

Owning a gun is a Constitutional right; driving isn't. That wasn't a very well thought out argument on your part.

Gabby Giffords blasts Senate sellout

Blasts? Sounded more like a pathetic whine from a 4-year old who didn't get her way

I wonder if the children of the members of the NRA were shot and killed as they attended school, would the NRA decide that maybe they should actually support a few restrictions?

How many people need to die before something is done?

Imagine how bad things would be without the strict gun laws.

how can a party survive while doing the opposite of what 90% of the people want?

the bought party just outed its self

mmmmm actually 90% of the people don't support it. just ask the senators who received a majority of the calls telling them not to support it.

Forum List

Back