Game of Thrones (HBO)

i knew from the chit chat on this thread that the eggs hatched....but i was still just spellbound by the whole thing...

o and who was the nekkid old man with the young woman babbling about the king?

GRAND MAESTER PYCELLE!

He is on the small council to the king...the real point of that scene was to show that he ACTS like a fragile old man but he is actually quite limber for his age.

yea i got that part....he was stretching then hunches over when he heads out the door....

i got a grasp of the obvious.......

the non obvious eludes me.....this is a hard series to keep up with if you didnt read the books...

now i am correct that the blacksmith who takes in the kid on the trek to the wall is roberts bastard son?

yea i got that part....he was stretching then hunches over when he heads out the door....

the non obvious eludes me.....this is a hard series to keep up with if you didnt read the books...

now i am correct that the blacksmith who takes in the kid on the trek to the wall is roberts bastard son?

yes, Cersei will hunt down Robert's bastards to maintain the secret...so his blacksmith master sent him with Yoren to go to the wall to protect his life.

It appears that Robert had a lot of bastards!

I can live with extremes but I quickly lose interest in the incredible, such as the heartbroken Khaleesi surviving a blazing pyre with a scorched chicken on her shoulder. So, for me, what began as a visually entertaining tale has devolved into what seems like a bizarre hallucination.

I was curious to see how the dragon introduction would be received by those not reading the book. Definitely easier to pull off in a book, but there is still so much yet to be seen and rich characters to be introduced...my advice, don't get too wrapped up in the dragon, that is still just a part of the overall story.

I was curious to see how the dragon introduction would be received by those not reading the book. Definitely easier to pull off in a book, but there is still so much yet to be seen and rich characters to be introduced...my advice, don't get too wrapped up in the dragon, that is still just a part of the overall story.

I agree with MikeK a little bit. The not being burned by the fire was a little too unbelievable even for a fantasy series. I thought the dragons were rather interesting, as long as they develop them right. It could either be a major plus for the series or a bust!

I can live with extremes but I quickly lose interest in the incredible, such as the heartbroken Khaleesi surviving a blazing pyre with a scorched chicken on her shoulder. So, for me, what began as a visually entertaining tale has devolved into what seems like a bizarre hallucination.

This is what is considered "low" fantasy, where there is magic, but it is not as common or obvious as in "high fantasy" (like warcraft, or a D&D campaign).

One just has to look at the 800 ft wall of ice that spans the continent to know there is some forms of magic in the world created by the books.

Who was the guy that got Arya out of the city? I thought it was her "dance" instructor, then I thought it was her Uncle of the Nightwatchmen, but it appears to be someone else? Who is it? Ollie, I know you know!

Who was the guy that got Arya out of the city? I thought it was her "dance" instructor, then I thought it was her Uncle of the Nightwatchmen, but it appears to be someone else? Who is it? Ollie, I know you know!

The guy was Yoren, he is a brother of the Night's Watch and he is the one that when Tyrion was up at the wall around ep 3 asked Tyrion if he wanted some company on the way to King's landing because he was going to go find new recruits for the wall. At the inn where they ran into Catalyn Stark, Yoren and Tyrion parted ways as Yoren continued south to king's landing for his mission and Tyrion was abducted. Yoren is trying to hide Arya among the boys he found for night's watch recruitment and drop her off with her mother Catalyn along the way north, out of respect for Ned and the Stark family (this is how the season ends).

The Dance instructor, Syrio Forrel, is presumed dead, and Uncle Benjen Stark has been north of the wall since very early in the series...shortly after he took Jon to the wall.

Last edited:
Just a quick gripe...the one thing I was really sad about was that the fire did not burn off Dany's hair like it did in the books...I was hopin to see some sexy baldness...

i like the dragons...you must think the fire was hot enough to hatch the dragons.....doesnt detract from the story at all for me

I respect your indulgence. But from my (atheistic) point of view, the question is why do they resort to such redundant foolishness?

The craftsmanship and resources expended in putting that series together could do perfecly fine without the occasional introduction of utter nonsense. For example; I truly love the movie, Dances With Wolves, which I know is pure fantasy. It is fantasy which does not absolutely exclude the possibility of being real and that vague possibility is what keeps the story grounded. But what if they introduced a vampire, a flying horse or a zombie into the tale?

What I'm saying is the Thrones series didn't need to venture so far from even the most tenuous reality to create a first class production because they certainly have all the necessary components; story, cast, budget and technical talent.

Forum List

Back