Georgia Bill Would Criminalize Giving Food and Water to Voters Waiting in Long Lines

This is just sick and wrong. The long lines are only in areas where black people live.

As I was reading it I saw there was no wording that said the food and beverage can't be sold. Then got to the end of the article which mentions just that.

If I lived in Georgia I would give out water and food for a penny or a barter.

This is clear and blatant vote suppression. If it passes it should be challenged in court.

The law also restricts no excuse absentee voting to people over 65, no cell phones can be used, and no candidates can enter certain polling places.

what?? voter suppression????????!!!!!!!but they CAN vote!!!!!!!!!??????

This is just sick and wrong. The long lines are only in areas where black people live.

As I was reading it I saw there was no wording that said the food and beverage can't be sold. Then got to the end of the article which mentions just that.

This is clear and blatant vote suppression. If it passes it should be challenged in court.

The law also restricts no excuse absentee voting to people over 65, no cell phones can be used, and no candidates can enter certain polling places.

How can it be voter suppression when they are already at the polls waiting in line to vote?

I had to wait over 30 minutes in line last November, yet I voted as everyone else who was there.

I do agree that making this law section is silly, but other parts are badly needed.

On Page 51, a section prohibits giving free food or drinks to voters waiting in line, among other restrictions. Doing so, would result in a misdemeanor.

Very dumb!
Because if you have to wait in line for 7, 8, 12 hours in the blazing heat of a Georgia primary election in August, you’ll be motivated to get out of that line and give up when your dehydration makes you sick. You might even end up passing out and getting transported to the ER. That’s gonna suppress your vote. This isn’t rocket science.
hahahhahahhahahahahahhahahahahahaha

It's some of that southern hospitality, gone wrong.
As we become the USSR were some of the Republics more free then others? At least give us the right to that!

It’s the Republicans in Georgia who wrote and pushed the no excuses absentee ballots to begin with. Republicans have always used the absentee ballot to drive voter turnout. Now that the Democrats are using it, they want to take it away. It will end up hurting them, too.
They should be writing legislation to address the issues that are causing hours long lines at polling places in these neighborhoods, rather than legislation prohibiting providing water to voters waiting hours in the heat, or food to voters waiting hours in any weather. But of course they don’t want to, they’ve been using these tactics of voter suppression very aggressively since Shelby v. Holder, removing hundreds of polling places from poor and minority neighborhoods.
Republicans are now full on anti democracy, which equates to being anti American.
you can bring your OWN water
DUH

Our population keeps increasing and more people are voting. It's not the poll workers who are the issue, no need to blame them. Many areas need more polling places.
Its a variety of issues including the poll works

the only thing government workers are really good at is pointing fingers and avoiding blame

It’s the Republicans in Georgia who wrote and pushed the no excuses absentee ballots to begin with. Republicans have always used the absentee ballot to drive voter turnout. Now that the Democrats are using it, they want to take it away. It will end up hurting them, too.
They should be writing legislation to address the issues that are causing hours long lines at polling places in these neighborhoods, rather than legislation prohibiting providing water to voters waiting hours in the heat, or food to voters waiting hours in any weather. But of course they don’t want to, they’ve been using these tactics of voter suppression very aggressively since Shelby v. Holder, removing hundreds of polling places from poor and minority neighborhoods.
Republicans are now full on anti democracy, which equates to being anti American.
you can bring your OWN water
DUH

Bbbbut I'm entitled!!!!!!

Any legislation that prohibits giving water or food to another person, whether to those standing in line to vote or to those in other circumstances is absurd on its face and probably unconstitutional. There are many reasons for a person to decide not to vote for a republican, but this proposed legislation shows how degraded the republican party has become and just how low it is willing to sink.

Any legislation that prohibits giving water or food to another person, whether to those standing in line to vote or to those in other circumstances is absurd on its face and probably unconstitutional. There are many reasons for a person to decide not to vote for a republican, but this proposed legislation shows how degraded the republican party has become and just how low it is willing to sink.

Uh oh....what say you now? Roflmao

How can it be voter suppression when they are already at the polls waiting in line to vote?

I had to wait over 30 minutes in line last November, yet I voted as everyone else who was there.

I do agree that making this law section is silly, but other parts are badly needed.

On Page 51, a section prohibits giving free food or drinks to voters waiting in line, among other restrictions. Doing so, would result in a misdemeanor.

Very dumb!
Because if you have to wait in line for 7, 8, 12 hours in the blazing heat of a Georgia primary election in August, you’ll be motivated to get out of that line and give up when your dehydration makes you sick. You might even end up passing out and getting transported to the ER. That’s gonna suppress your vote. This isn’t rocket science.

I doubt that people are waiting that long, you will have to post evidence that it has happened, never heard of people waiting that long.

Very dumb!

I doubt that people are waiting that long, you will have to post evidence that it has happened, never heard of people waiting that long.
thank you--they are always posting babble crap

So bring your own food and water, just like you do everywhere else.

Who goes somewhere looking for food and drink for free?

In a medical emergency, aide would be rendered. If you have to run to your car to get another bottle of water because the line is moving slower than you expected, I suspect your fellow voters will gladly save your space.

It does kind of sound like a strange rule, and your premise is certainly true, as HB 531 says:

1615064535997.png

As you know, the intent of this section is to prevent voter influence by handing out Biden cookies or Trump truffles or Pelosi vodka shots. But it does seem kind of strange that they did not add some context about "doing so while intending to influence an elector's vote."

But it does seem kind of strange that they did not add some context about "doing so while intending to influence an elector's vote."
Intent can be difficult to prove. Also, republicans could hand out steak dinners in precincts that vote heavy republican and democrats could do the same in precincts that vote heavy democrat while never intending to influence anyone's vote....so they would say.

But it does seem kind of strange that they did not add some context about "doing so while intending to influence an elector's vote."
Intent can be difficult to prove. Also, republicans could hand out steak dinners in precincts that vote heavy republican and democrats could do the same in precincts that vote heavy democrat while never intending to influence anyone's vote....so they would say.
> Intent can be difficult to prove

Yeah, I know, but not if they are handing out cookies that say "Vote Biden, get $2000."

But it is really only intent that matters. Without the ability to influence votes, is it really likely anyone would be handing out food or drink?

And you are correct. Instead of "while intending," I should have written "while attempting."

Last edited:

Uh oh....what say you now? Roflmao

Stick to the topic. The person who introduced this legislation in Georgia, aimed specifically at outlining assistance to voters, needs to be adult enough to stand up and justify it.

Your whataboutism is just a poor attempt at deflection. This situation has nothing to do with anything happening on the opposite coast. Moreover, the legislation referenced in this linked article does not contradict my comment.

incidentally, I looked up El Cajon just for the hell of it. It has a four-person city council comprised of three white males and one white female, but no party affiliation was listed. There was no information as to whether this ordinance was passed by them or by an earlier counsel and no information as to how the decision to pass it was made.

If (a big "if"), the intent of such a law is to discourage certain folks from voting, then it is plain wrong.

1. No matter what one thinks of those folks, they have a right to vote.

2. The only consideration should be to make sure that only eligible voters receive a ballot.

3. George is a-changing and it cannot be stopped. Those folks and their allies will soon be running the whole state. Already, the state's two Senators are Dems.

4. What Southerners have feared since the end of the Civil War is now coming true. Accept it or leave the state. There is no going back.

Very dumb!
Restrictions on mail in voting are voter supression. It's just that simple

Ha ha ha, you are suggesting that people waiting in line to vote are being prevented from using mail in voting ballots?
Again, read the OP and the links. The bill includes much more than the water and food thing.

Sigh, I KNOW that!

But I was reacting to someone else over one section of the bill.

You write this confusing statement which is why I replied to you that way, since I was talking about voting lines:

Restrictions on mail in voting are voter supression. It's just that simple
If I jumped to conclusions I apologize.

Separate but equal? Vote blue not red!

If (a big "if"), the intent of such a law is to discourage certain folks from voting, then it is plain wrong.

1. No matter what one thinks of those folks, they have a right to vote.

2. The only consideration should be to make sure that only eligible voters receive a ballot.

3. George is a-changing and it cannot be stopped. Those folks and their allies will soon be running the whole state. Already, the state's two Senators are Dems.

4. What Southerners have feared since the end of the Civil War is now coming true. Accept it or leave the state. There is no going back.

Only eligible voters should vote, I agree, but there is no evidence that ineligible people are voting. I think that you mean, in referring to what "Southerners have feared since the end of the Civil War," are the fears of a certain portion of the white population of the south, not all southerners. I interpret the fact that Georgia's representatives in the U.S. Senate are from the Democratic Party as indicating that the Republican Party needs to reform, update, and present to the Georgia voters candidates who are ready to lead in a way that the electorate wants, and rid itself of the public perception that it is capable of representing only one segment of the population.

Forum List

Back