Georgia Senate blocks mega tax cuts for Delta in response to Delta punishing law abiding NRA

Damn, Georgia did it too. LOL

Georgia Republicans honor their threat, pass bill punishing Delta for cutting ties with NRA

In a show of political strength, Georgia lawmakers on Thursday overwhelmingly approved a bill that was stripped of an earlier provision granting Delta Air Lines a lucrative tax break.

By passing the bill, lawmakers carried out the threat that Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle, R, made to Atlanta-based Delta earlier this week: if the airline did not restore discounted fares to members of the National Rifle Association, Republicans would strike down a $50 million sales-tax exemption on jet fuel from its larger tax-cut package. Delta, which is one of the state's largest employers, would have been the primary beneficiary of the exemption.

Georgia Republicans honor their threat, pass bill punishing Delta for cutting ties with NRA
This was likely to be done anyway as they are old breaks all airlines got they were going to end anyway.
Actually no. They were included in the bill and had to be removed by votes in both the Georgia House and Senate. They then voted on the modified bill and the governor signed it into law this morning.

Damn, Georgia did it too. LOL

In a show of political strength, Georgia lawmakers on Thursday overwhelmingly approved a bill that was stripped of an earlier provision granting Delta Air Lines a lucrative tax break.

By passing the bill, lawmakers carried out the threat that Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle, R, made to Atlanta-based Delta earlier this week: if the airline did not restore discounted fares to members of the National Rifle Association, Republicans would strike down a $50 million sales-tax exemption on jet fuel from its larger tax-cut package. Delta, which is one of the state's largest employers, would have been the primary beneficiary of the exemption.

This was likely to be done anyway as they are old breaks all airlines got they were going to end anyway.

It had already been approved in the House...regardless it's money denied Delta for a piss poor descion on their part

Not really, the money is denied to every airline so every airline will up their ticket price and the whole country will pay extra because the State of Ga thought that the 13 people using the discount were more important than the 30,000 Ga citizens that work for Delta

The whole country will also face higher ticket prices.

You don't "steer clear" by making a public announcement to distance yourself from the NRA. They played politics, the government of Georgia did too. Delta paid 40 mil plus lost future ticket sales. FACT

And to the extent that's a cause-and-effect, it's fascism. But thanks for putting a number on it.

Really? Please enlighten the board as to your reasoning why Delta is ENTITLED to a special tax break at the expense of Georgia taxpayers?

Oh I don't need to. Actually you and your fellow fascists need to essplain where the government gets off telling a private company how it can run its own promotions on its own product.

I'll tell ya right up front, there's no answer for that. Well, not in English anyway.

Georgia didn't tell Delta how to run their business, they simply voted not to agree with it. About 40-50 million....POOF!

Amazing the cavalieriality with which the fascist apologists ply their craft.
Boggles the mind.

You don't "steer clear" by making a public announcement to distance yourself from the NRA. They played politics, the government of Georgia did too. Delta paid 40 mil plus lost future ticket sales. FACT

And to the extent that's a cause-and-effect, it's fascism. But thanks for putting a number on it.

Really? Please enlighten the board as to your reasoning why Delta is ENTITLED to a special tax break at the expense of Georgia taxpayers?

Oh I don't need to. Actually you and your fellow fascists need to essplain where the government gets off telling a private company how it can run its own promotions on its own product.

I'll tell ya right up front, there's no answer for that. Well, not in English anyway.

Lemme essplain it... the gubmint is no telling Delta what to do.

Your truly,
Ricky Ricardo

The Latest: Only 13 NRA members used discount Delta withdrew

can hardly wait to here the excuse to justify this one
NRA members don't fly?

The discounts were only for one week(end) a year to the city where the NRA convention is. Typically these conventions are 90% local/driving range people.
Yep. An expensive and dumb decision Delta made for political correctness. Only 13 discounts were given.

40 mil in fuel tax plus scores of pissed off NRA members and other conservatives that will boycott the airline for 13 measly discounted fares. Political correctness and kowtowing to the vocal lib left came with a steep price.
Hey! We learned these tactics from the Demoncrats. Turn about is fair play!

Yep you did, and now you are part of the left. Congrats. It is this sort of mentality that is pushing our country to the left faster than ever before. We no longer have the left doing leftist things, we now have the right doing them as well.

Georgia didn't tell Delta how to run their business, they simply voted not to agree with it. About 40-50 million....POOF!

Boggles the mind.

Your mind is easily boggled....now get past I take your ramblings to heart.

Delta fucked up....big time. This is the price they pay. 50 million

The Latest: Only 13 NRA members used discount Delta withdrew

can hardly wait to here the excuse to justify this one
NRA members don't fly?

The discounts were only for one week(end) a year to the city where the NRA convention is. Typically these conventions are 90% local/driving range people.
Yep. An expensive and dumb decision Delta made for political correctness. Only 13 discounts were given.

As with any tax, the company does not pay it, the customers do. And since the tax is for every airline and not just Delta, they will all raise their prices.

So, the State of Ga thought that those 13 people were more important than the 260,000 passengers a day that fly into and out of Atlanta.

Talk about a dumb decision.

Boggles the mind.

Your mind is easily boggled....now get past I take your ramblings to heart.

Delta fucked up....big time. This is the price they pay. 50 million

Delta does not pay that price, everyone that flies on an airline that has planes that go in and out of Atlanta pays that price.

Your truly,
Ricky Ricardo

They tried and Delta told them to fuck off. Good for Delta.

Though I know that upsets all you little statist, but you will get over it.

Your truly,
Ricky Ricardo

OK, what did the government tell them to do?

Your truly,
Ricky Ricardo

Shut up, Ethel.

Yours, Fred Mertz

Your truly,
Ricky Ricardo

The government told Delta, a private entity, to give financial discounts to the NRA, another private entity, or face the consequences.

Do you believe that it is the role of the government to tell one individual private entity that they must give financial discounts to a different individual entity, or face the consequences?

Let me ask you this, I am going to assume you live in New Orleans, based on your name, if I am wrong just work with me here....would you approve if the Senate and LtGov of La told CenturyLink they had to give financial discounts to members of the BLM or face the consequences?

You have no clue how the world works, child. This idea that "it costs Delta 40 million" is naught more than Gullible's Travels.

And again --- the whole point here is that IT AIN'T THE GOVERNMENT'S PLACE to either "agree" or "disagree" with a perfectly legal business decision. You have to be Liberal to grok that. Don't strain yourself.

Your truly,
Ricky Ricardo

The government told Delta, a private entity, to give financial discounts to the NRA, another private entity, or face the consequences.

Do you believe that it is the role of the government to tell one individual private entity that they must give financial discounts to a different individual entity, or face the consequences?

Let me ask you this, I am going to assume you live in New Orleans, based on your name, if I am wrong just work with me here....would you approve if the Senate and LtGov of La told CenturyLink they had to give financial discounts to members of the BLM or face the consequences?

They didn't tell them to do anything.

Your truly,
Ricky Ricardo

The LtGov of Ga told Delta to give financial discounts to the NRA, or face the consequences. Those are the facts.

I noticed you ignored the question, guess you do not want your statist tendencies to be well known

Your truly,
Ricky Ricardo

GG has been hit in the head by a dozen too many golf balls.

Georgia just didn't give them a renewal of a tax break that had expired. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

GG needs to go wash his balls.

Georgia just didn't give them a renewal of a tax break that had expired. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

It is the reason they did not give it to them that is the issue for me.

and I thought you were going to come wash my balls again, you did such a fineee job last time!

It is the reason they did not give it to them that is the issue for me.

and I thought you were going to come wash my balls again, you did such a fineee job last time!

I thought you guys were against tax breaks for large corporations?

Personally, I think it stupid... Delta is the largest employer in the state of Georgia employing roughly 30,000 people. Chasing them off (I doubt they're going to leave) would be disastrous.

Forum List

Back