Georgia Seniors Told They Can't Pray Before Meals

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

There is nothing in the first amendment that prohibits the practice of religion to a particular place. It seem to me the free exercise thereof part is being violated in this instance.

And who gives a shit what the delivery guy who is not even part of the community center thinks about some old people saying grace? He was not there to eat or participate in the meal just to deliver it. It seems none of the people who were there cared than grace was said before the meal only some peripheral delivery guy.

And do you really think the federal government would pull the meal subsidy for old people because they say grace? Some one should bitch slap the idiot who complained.
( standing up in the back of the room .... ) I'll do it!

It's like the smoking issue. When a person's right to smoke or have a religious demonstration impinges on other people's right to breathe clean air or have seperation of church and state then you have conflict.

Except that this was not a government funtion, it was at a private senior center.
The event was paid for by taxpayer money.
Event? What event?
It was dinner. I imagine served around the same time each evening.

where did i mock your beliefs...i only stated what the bible says and that about half the christians on this board have no clue what the bible says and only use it to hate...i stand by that....as it seems you are proving that for me..continue to mock my beliefs it speaks volumes of you.

Well, now at least it's only half of Christians that use 'the Bible to hate'. I don't see how you don't see yourself as passing judgment? You are doing exactly what you accuse 'hateful Christian's of doing. You are no differen than they are.
At least Bones is honest enough stick to the point and to amend her statements when she she sees she may have exaggerated. All we've seen from you is a lot of fancy footwork.

where did i mock your beliefs...i only stated what the bible says and that about half the christians on this board have no clue what the bible says and only use it to hate...i stand by that....as it seems you are proving that for me..continue to mock my beliefs it speaks volumes of you.

Well, now at least it's only half of Christians that use 'the Bible to hate'. I don't see how you don't see yourself as passing judgment? You are doing exactly what you accuse 'hateful Christian's of doing. You are no differen than they are.
At least Bones is honest enough stick to the point and to amend her statements when she she sees she may have exaggerated. All we've seen from you is a lot of fancy footwork.

What 'fancy footwork' are you referring too?

Except that this was not a government funtion, it was at a private senior center.
Event? What event?
I've given my reasons why I think the laws concerning organized prayer demonstrations in certain public areas apply in this case.

Besides the fact that it's contrary to American ideals to put people, especially older people who should be treated with more respect, through this sort of ordeal, I think it just common decency to not to disrupt a meal with this kind of behavior.

Another poster said it best.

Praying out loud is exclusive and disrespectful. Silence is inclusive and respectful.
I don't even like moments of silence but I'm willing to put up with them because at least they are silent and you don't have to listen to religious drivel.

What 'fancy footwork' are you referring too?
Says Newby as she executes another saucy pirouette. :lol:

Event? What event?
I've given my reasons why I think the laws concerning organized prayer demonstrations in certain public areas apply in this case.

Besides the fact that it's contrary to American ideals to put people, especially older people who should be treated with more respect, through this sort of ordeal, I think it just common decency to not to disrupt a meal with this kind of behavior.
And I think it's just common sense to allow the seniors to say Grace before their dinner, regardless of who is footing the bill.

Event? What event?

And I think it's just common sense to allow the seniors to say Grace before their dinner, regardless of who is footing the bill.
Why do you assume all the seniors there want this sort of disruption?

Good news folks!,.... The decision has been reversed!,.. the seniors can return to exercising their 1st amendment rights per the dept. Of human resources!! Chalk one up for common sense and freedom OF religion!!
Someone was feeling the heat!
Maybe they were afraid they'd be burned at the stake?
Pun intended? The story was going national and IMHO, the state officials realized what a stupid decision this was. Thankfully it was reversed.

Someone was feeling the heat!
Maybe they were afraid they'd be burned at the stake?
Pun intended? The story was going national and IMHO, the state officials realized what a stupid decision this was. Thankfully it was reversed.
Intolerant Christians score again.

I am always perplexed why proselytizers think public prayer demonstrations and other dramatic displays of piety advance their cause to win converts. Most normal people are put off by them.

Why do you assume all the seniors there want this sort of disruption?
Why do you assume it was another senior(s) who complained about saying Grace?

Tim Rutherford, Senior Citizens Inc. vice president, said some of his staff recently visited the center and noticed people praying shortly before lunch was served. Rutherford said his company provides meals like baked chicken, steak tips and rice and salads at a cost of about $6 a plate. Seniors taking the meals pay 55 cents and federal money foots the rest of the bill, Rutherford said.

It was staff members from Senior Citizens Inc. who complained.

not really...

how would you feel if some group made you say a muslim prayer before you could eat?

personally, i feel the same way about saying christian prayer.

you want to pray...pray. but it shouldn't be organized prayer on my dime.

No one was making anyone say anything.
Right. Mob pressure never made anyone feel they had better conform.

A few old ladies and men saying a short grace before a meal is hardly a mob.

If you want to see a real mob, search youtube for some pro illegal immigration protests/riots.

Forum List

Back