Georgia Seniors Told They Can't Pray Before Meals

I've given my reasons why I think the laws concerning organized prayer demonstrations in certain public areas apply in this case.

Besides the fact that it's contrary to American ideals to put people, especially older people who should be treated with more respect, through this sort of ordeal, I think it just common decency to not to disrupt a meal with this kind of behavior.
And I think it's just common sense to allow the seniors to say Grace before their dinner, regardless of who is footing the bill.
Why do you assume all the seniors there want this sort of disruption?

Why do you assume it is a disruption and why do you assume a senior there receiving food was upset with it....

Seniors have lived in the US for a long time, and they know what the first amendment stands for....? there is no legitimate gripe anguille, you either believe in the constitution or you don't...you and I don't get to pick and choose as we please.....we don't get to shut others up, that we do not agree with....they have the right to thank, whomever they please, and to do so, OUT LOUD, in the public square....even if they were giving thanks to the usa gvt or satan himself, they caqn say or do, what they want....you can go there and talk them down if you want, that is your right to free speech anguille.....

it is not a one way street, your way or the highway, or my way or the highway....it is a constitutional right, for all who reside here....

that's how I look at it!

And I think it's just common sense to allow the seniors to say Grace before their dinner, regardless of who is footing the bill.
Why do you assume it was another senior(s) who complained about saying Grace?

Tim Rutherford, Senior Citizens Inc. vice president, said some of his staff recently visited the center and noticed people praying shortly before lunch was served. Rutherford said his company provides meals like baked chicken, steak tips and rice and salads at a cost of about $6 a plate. Seniors taking the meals pay 55 cents and federal money foots the rest of the bill, Rutherford said.

It was staff members from Senior Citizens Inc. who complained.
I did not say it was another senior who complained.

But you cannot assume that no shy and timid senior who might rely on that Senior Center for sustenance was not privately heartened that someone else spoke up.

It's like the smoking issue. When a person's right to smoke or have a religious demonstration impinges on other people's right to breathe clean air or have seperation of church and state then you have conflict.

Except that this was not a government funtion, it was at a private senior center.
The event was paid for by taxpayer money.

The Seniors paid 55 cents each of their own money. The only thing the government provided was food. They did not pay for the facility or the chairs.

And has already been pointed out - a great deal of people in all walks of life in this country receive some form of government money. Is a condition of receiving such largesse one which forces the individual to give up his 1st Amendment Rights?

Last edited:

Why do you assume it is a disruption and why do you assume a senior there receiving food was upset with it....

Seniors have lived in the US for a long time, and they know what the first amendment stands for....? there is no legitimate gripe anguille, you either believe in the constitution or you don't...you and I don't get to pick and choose as we please.....we don't get to shut others up, that we do not agree with....they have the right to thank, whomever they please, and to do so, OUT LOUD, in the public square....even if they were giving thanks to the usa gvt or satan himself, they caqn say or do, what they want....you can go there and talk them down if you want, that is your right to free speech anguille.....

it is not a one way street, your way or the highway, or my way or the highway....it is a constitutional right, for all who reside here....

that's how I look at it!
You know as well as I do that the right to free speech is not unconditional.

Speaking of senior life. anyone ever watch this show?

I don't remember her name but I'm sure that woman in the pic's character would sure set those preying seniors straight. lol!

that's how I look at it!

In this case, a seniors were forced to give up their 1st Amendment Rights for $5.45 worth of food. Is this the price of Freedom - $5.45?

Unbelievable.

that's how I look at it!

In this case, a seniors were forced to give up their 1st Amendment Rights for $5.45 worth of food. Is this the price of Freedom - $5.45?

Unbelievable.
They are free to pray all they want individually but sorry, in this country you cannot exploit a government sponsored event to hold a religious demonstration.

Although, it does look like the raucus religious right has won over American principals once again.

Complete and utter b'loney.

But it's interesting to clarify that for you, the price of Freedom is $5.45.

that's how I look at it!

True. Those conditions are few and far between. And, they are quite specific. You cannot incite a riot (that would be because the lives of the public in the immediate vicinity trumps the free speech right). You cannot yell 'fire' in a crowded theater (forthe same reason). And you cannot threaten the life of the President or his family (seems reasonable as our tax dollars go to investigating those threats - our taxes can be spent on other programs beneficial to all of us).

IF there was a right to being protected from feeling creepy, maybe another's right to speech should be banned. But there isn't one of those Constitutional rights from feeling creepy.

Halal Meals On Wheels

Program, believed to be first in nation, caters to homebound Muslims in Wayne County

ACCESS launched a program to feed seniors in a community setting a few years ago, but funding ran out. Talab worked to launch the program for shut-ins with the Senior Alliance, Area Agency on Aging 1C in Wayne, which runs a $3 million program that feeds seniors in 34 communities throughout western and southern Wayne County.

But unlike traditional Meals on Wheels, the halal meals are not delivered by volunteers. Food is provided by Midamar, a national halal food distributor based in Iowa. Meals are then assembled by Mom’s Meals, another Iowa company that mails meals to seniors in rural areas and other hard-to-reach places.

Mom’s Meals ships a two-week supply of halal meals in coolers to qualifying seniors via FedEx. The meals, which cost about $7 to prepare and ship, include entrees such as chicken biryani, lentil stew with ground lamb and Italian chicken.

The program is small but organizers expect it to grow.

The Area Agency on Aging has contracted with Mom’s Meals for three years, renewable at the end of each year based on performance, for $100,000 annually. The program was funded with federal dollars for programs for older Americans funneled through the state, said Bob Brown, executive director for the Senior Alliance.

I can't help but wonder if these Muslims were spoken to about their prayer.

Nothing like a healthy dose of hypocrisy, huh? :eusa_think:

that's how I look at it!

True. Those conditions are few and far between. And, they are quite specific. You cannot incite a riot (that would be because the lives of the public in the immediate vicinity trumps the free speech right). You cannot yell 'fire' in a crowded theater (forthe same reason). And you cannot threaten the life of the President or his family (seems reasonable as our tax dollars go to investigating those threats - our taxes can be spent on other programs beneficial to all of us).

IF there was a right to being protected from feeling creepy, maybe another's right to speech should be banned. But there isn't one of those Constitutional rights from feeling creepy.
For you and I the experience only gives us the creeps. We are fortunate. Others suffer worse injustices. That is why our Constitution gives us freedom of religion.

Complete and utter b'loney.

But it's interesting to clarify that for you, the price of Freedom is $5.45.
Lame.

Sometimes it's just better to bow out gracefully when you are so far behind.

You define Lame.

There is no evidence that anyone at the center complained. Nor was the government leading the prayers. It's thinking like yours which destroys liberty.

For you and I the experience only gives us the creeps. We are fortunate. Others suffer worse injustices. That is why our Constitution gives us freedom of religion.

Can you read?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

You're confusing Freedom OF Religion with Freedom FROM Religion.

Freedom OF Religion would allow these Senior Citizens to pray over their meals, aloud, and at will.

Freedom FROM Religion (which is what you advocate) refuses to permit them to exercise their Freedom OF Religion by praying over their meals aloud and at will--all in order to protect YOUR terribly sensitive feelings.

See the difference? Nah. Probably not. :eusa_doh:

Can you read?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
The senior center should not have accepted federal assistance if they were not willing to abide by the regulations. But it looks like they want to have their cake and eat it too. Shame on them for jeopardizing the welfare of senior citizens, not to mention subjecting them to religion before they can get their dinner.

Can you read?

The senior center should not have accepted federal assistance if they were not willing to abide by the regulations. But it looks like they want to have their cake and eat it too. Shame on them for jeopardizing the welfare of senior citizens, not to mention subjecting them to religion before they can get their dinner.
What regulations? Prohibiting their free exercise of religion?

Can you read?

So what's the price of free speech? How cheap do you hold it? Is $5.45 the price?

Can you read?

So what's the price of free speech? How cheap do you hold it? Is $5.45 the price?
If I pay you $5.45 will you STFU?

Your yapping is giving me a headache.

Anguille, if the government EVER establishes or even tries to establish any sort of religion, I will be right by your side in fighting it.

As it is, if you and I are together when a prayer is going on, let's just choose that time to tip our glasses for a few sips together during it.

Forum List

Back