Georgia Seniors Told They Can't Pray Before Meals

Ciitation, please.

The government provided money for food; The People happened to pray.

Just one of several:

Federal Court Strikes Down Louisiana School Prayer Law. - Free Online Library

More importantly, the federal government doesn't have to establish a state religion before the establishment clause comes into effect.

This wouldn't be an issue if individuals were praying. It was an issue because it was a group prayer.

So then you would be in favor of a law suit against every politician who says "God Bless America"? Maybe we should revoke all their funding.

We should not have our so called leaders forcing us to invoke the deity no?

How about saying "God bless you" after someone sneezes? Surely that is even more of a crime if one says it in a federal building is it not?

Once again the so called tolerant crowd is guilty of intolerance because they're so thin skinned and easily offended that absolutely everything is an affront.

Makes me sick.

not too long ago, I read a story about a graduation class that was told they couldn't have a prayer at their graduation ceremony. They had one speaker come up and all he did was sneeze. The entire graduating class responded with "God Bless You!". I'm willing to bet there were some in there that weren't religious at all but understood the ramifications of preventing prayer or free-speech anywhere in our society.

The senior center should not have accepted federal assistance if they were not willing to abide by the regulations. But it looks like they want to have their cake and eat it too. Shame on them for jeopardizing the welfare of senior citizens, not to mention subjecting them to religion before they can get their dinner.

So what's the price of free speech? How cheap do you hold it? Is $5.45 the price?
If I pay you $5.45 will you STFU?

Your yapping is giving me a headache.

Lame. But further proof that your definition of Free Speech is limited to only things that you want to hear. Typical of wimpy statists.

Anguille, if the government EVER establishes or even tries to establish any sort of religion, I will be right by your side in fighting it.

As it is, if you and I are together when a prayer is going on, let's just choose that time to tip our glasses for a few sips together during it.
:beer:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

There is nothing in the first amendment that prohibits the practice of religion to a particular place. It seem to me the free exercise thereof part is being violated in this instance.

And who gives a shit what the delivery guy who is not even part of the community center thinks about some old people saying grace? He was not there to eat or participate in the meal just to deliver it. It seems none of the people who were there cared than grace was said before the meal only some peripheral delivery guy.

And do you really think the federal government would pull the meal subsidy for old people because they say grace? Some one should bitch slap the idiot who complained.

Amen to that! <I would have repped you, but I have to spread it around first>

Just one of several:

Federal Court Strikes Down Louisiana School Prayer Law. - Free Online Library

More importantly, the federal government doesn't have to establish a state religion before the establishment clause comes into effect.

This wouldn't be an issue if individuals were praying. It was an issue because it was a group prayer.

So then you would be in favor of a law suit against every politician who says "God Bless America"? Maybe we should revoke all their funding.

We should not have our so called leaders forcing us to invoke the deity no?

How about saying "God bless you" after someone sneezes? Surely that is even more of a crime if one says it in a federal building is it not?

Once again the so called tolerant crowd is guilty of intolerance because they're so thin skinned and easily offended that absolutely everything is an affront.

Makes me sick.

not too long ago, I read a story about a graduation class that was told they couldn't have a prayer at their graduation ceremony. They had one speaker come up and all he did was sneeze. The entire graduating class responded with "God Bless You!". I'm willing to bet there were some in there that weren't religious at all but understood the ramifications of preventing prayer or free-speech anywhere in our society.
I hope they were all stripped of their diplomas!!!:evil:

Just kidding! That was a pretty clever way of getting around the rules.:lol:

Seniors Can Pray Before Meals

Senior Citizens, Inc. has always prided itself on the services it has been able to provide the seniors of the low country," it said in a statement. "Part of that service is an adherence to Federal and State regulations that have made funding possible so more seniors can be served.

"Over our years of service, we have been instructed, as recently as two weeks ago, by the state regulatory agency that verbal prayer was not allowed at any senior center. We are so pleased to say that we have been contacted a few minutes ago by the new Director of Aging clarifying the regulation and reversing the position of new verbal prayer.

"As an organization, we feel that spirituality is an important and necessary part of a full life and we are thankful that this interpretation of the regulation makes prayer possible in all of its forms.”

Casey Arnett, director of the senior center, said the seniors who visit the center are no strangers to standing up for what they believe. "They're not going to let people tell them their rights about religion," she said. "They feel like they need to stand for theirs."

They can pray. It's just not an organized prayer.

Or they could always refuse funding.

but, then they can't show everybody else how much faith they have. Just say a prayer to yourself, that's what prayer is supposed to be.

But even still, it seems a bit overboard

Seniors Can Pray Before Meals

Senior Citizens, Inc. has always prided itself on the services it has been able to provide the seniors of the low country," it said in a statement. "Part of that service is an adherence to Federal and State regulations that have made funding possible so more seniors can be served.

"Over our years of service, we have been instructed, as recently as two weeks ago, by the state regulatory agency that verbal prayer was not allowed at any senior center. We are so pleased to say that we have been contacted a few minutes ago by the new Director of Aging clarifying the regulation and reversing the position of new verbal prayer.

"As an organization, we feel that spirituality is an important and necessary part of a full life and we are thankful that this interpretation of the regulation makes prayer possible in all of its forms.”

Casey Arnett, director of the senior center, said the seniors who visit the center are no strangers to standing up for what they believe. "They're not going to let people tell them their rights about religion," she said. "They feel like they need to stand for theirs."
Naturally, this Casey Arnett would spin this as something of which all the seniors who visit or any future seniors are in favor.

It's like the smoking issue. When a person's right to smoke or have a religious demonstration impinges on other people's right to breathe clean air or have seperation of church and state then you have conflict.

Except that this was not a government funtion, it was at a private senior center.
The event was paid for by taxpayer money.

The food was subsidized by federal money. They have no business telling people what they can or can't do before they eat that food.

For you and I the experience only gives us the creeps. We are fortunate. Others suffer worse injustices. That is why our Constitution gives us freedom of religion.

Can you read?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
The senior center should not have accepted federal assistance if they were not willing to abide by the regulations. But it looks like they want to have their cake and eat it too. Shame on them for jeopardizing the welfare of senior citizens, not to mention subjecting them to religion before they can get their dinner.

So, I guess once the feds take over health care if someone wants a minister to pray with them before a surgery or while someone is dying, you say too damn bad since the surgery, the hosptial, the doctor, etc... will be 'federally funded', no prayer for you. Good bye any kind of chapel at the hospital as well. This is a perfect example, fellow board members, why you do not let the federal government into anything at all, you do not accept their dirty money for anything. Mindless people that are championing the curtailment of freedom will use any excuse to control you and your behavior in order to move their agenda forward. They're using the influence of money as bribes. You want financial assistance, well you have to comply to our rules. It's pathetic.

Indeed. What's the price for Freedom of Speech?

In Anguille's case, it's $5.45.

Anguille, if the government EVER establishes or even tries to establish any sort of religion, I will be right by your side in fighting it.

As it is, if you and I are together when a prayer is going on, let's just choose that time to tip our glasses for a few sips together during it.

She will not see reason, she's obviously incapable.

She will not see reason, she's obviously incapable.
Maybe. Maybe not. I know I enjoyed the debate with her. Although we disagreed, she didn't insult me and I didn't insult her. Whatever either one of us believes or does not believe with respect to any faith is pretty irrelevant to the debate, IMO.

And, I see your point, too. I also see Bones'. I guess few comments about my faith affect me personally.

Last edited:
Can you read?

So, I guess once the feds take over health care if someone wants a minister to pray with them before a surgery or while someone is dying, you say too damn bad since the surgery, the hosptial, the doctor, etc... will be 'federally funded', no prayer for you. Good bye any kind of chapel at the hospital as well. This is a perfect example, fellow board members, why you do not let the federal government into anything at all, you do not accept their dirty money for anything. Mindless people that are championing the curtailment of freedom will use any excuse to control you and your behavior in order to move their agenda forward. They're using the influence of money as bribes. You want financial assistance, well you have to comply to our rules. It's pathetic.

So many people immigrated here legally for religious freedom. This is an insult to them and their descendants.

So many people immigrated here legally for religious freedom. This is an insult to them and their descendants.

Religious freedom is definitely one of the main reasons our country started. We should hold that freedom high and protect it vehemently, even if we feel uncomfortable about that religion. Unless, that practice infringes on our other rights.

Religious freedom is definitely one of the main reasons our country started. We should hold that freedom high and protect it vehemently, even if we feel uncomfortable about that religion. Unless, that practice infringes on our other rights.

It's also important to note that our other rights do not include never being exposed to the expression of concepts with which disagree.

Forum List

Back