Georgia Seniors Told They Can't Pray Before Meals

Anguille, if the government EVER establishes or even tries to establish any sort of religion, I will be right by your side in fighting it.

As it is, if you and I are together when a prayer is going on, let's just choose that time to tip our glasses for a few sips together during it.

She will not see reason, she's obviously incapable.
Maybe. Maybe not. I know I enjoyed the debate with her. Although we disagreed, she didn't insult me and I didn't insult her. Whatever either one of us believes or does not believe with respect to any faith is pretty irrelevant to the debate, IMO.

And, I see your point, too. I also see Bones'. I guess few comments about my faith affect me personally.
I wish others here on this board could do the same Si Modo.

The senior center should not have accepted federal assistance if they were not willing to abide by the regulations. But it looks like they want to have their cake and eat it too. Shame on them for jeopardizing the welfare of senior citizens, not to mention subjecting them to religion before they can get their dinner.

So, I guess once the feds take over health care if someone wants a minister to pray with them before a surgery or while someone is dying, you say too damn bad since the surgery, the hosptial, the doctor, etc... will be 'federally funded', no prayer for you. Good bye any kind of chapel at the hospital as well. This is a perfect example, fellow board members, why you do not let the federal government into anything at all, you do not accept their dirty money for anything. Mindless people that are championing the curtailment of freedom will use any excuse to control you and your behavior in order to move their agenda forward. They're using the influence of money as bribes. You want financial assistance, well you have to comply to our rules. It's pathetic.

So many people immigrated here legally for religious freedom. This is an insult to them and their descendants.

Absolutely. And what's ironic is that I've seen the anti-religious on this board start threads or make comments about churches subjecting people to 'religion' before being willing to offer them their charity. It's not true, but even if it were, they are now advocating the exact same thing. You want help from the federal government, then religious activity is banned. I'd love for them to speak to the difference since there isn't one. Yet another in the thousands of outlooks that are totally hypocritical.

Maybe. Maybe not. I know I enjoyed the debate with her. Although we disagreed, she didn't insult me and I didn't insult her. Whatever either one of us believes or does not believe with respect to any faith is pretty irrelevant to the debate, IMO.

And, I see your point, too. I also see Bones'. I guess few comments about my faith affect me personally.
Hey, I can do my fair share, too! :lol:

As a matter of fact, I feel a need to tell Terral he is a moron. BRB.

Last edited:
Religious freedom is definitely one of the main reasons our country started. We should hold that freedom high and protect it vehemently, even if we feel uncomfortable about that religion. Unless, that practice infringes on our other rights.

It's also important to note that our other rights do not include never being exposed to the expression of concepts with which disagree.
Absolutely!

Anguille, if the government EVER establishes or even tries to establish any sort of religion, I will be right by your side in fighting it.

As it is, if you and I are together when a prayer is going on, let's just choose that time to tip our glasses for a few sips together during it.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Si modo again"
Thanks, I enjoyed the debate also.

Can you read?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
The senior center should not have accepted federal assistance if they were not willing to abide by the regulations. But it looks like they want to have their cake and eat it too. Shame on them for jeopardizing the welfare of senior citizens, not to mention subjecting them to religion before they can get their dinner.

So, I guess once the feds take over health care if someone wants a minister to pray with them before a surgery or while someone is dying, you say too damn bad since the surgery, the hosptial, the doctor, etc... will be 'federally funded', no prayer for you. Good bye any kind of chapel at the hospital as well. This is a perfect example, fellow board members, why you do not let the federal government into anything at all, you do not accept their dirty money for anything. Mindless people that are championing the curtailment of freedom will use any excuse to control you and your behavior in order to move their agenda forward. They're using the influence of money as bribes. You want financial assistance, well you have to comply to our rules. It's pathetic.
Keep grasping at straws, Newby, a visit by a minister hardly compares with a disruptive public prayer demonstration by a group of people.

Liar!

:lol:

Keep grasping at straws, Newby, a visit by a minister hardly compares with a disruptive public prayer demonstration by a group of people.

Who said it was disruptive? Or even a demonstration?

So many people immigrated here legally for religious freedom. This is an insult to them and their descendants.

How is it an insult to our founding fathers to have a moment of silence to pray silently or relax in the present moment rather than forcing everyone to say a prayer out loud in a public place? Silence allows all who wish to pray an opportunity to do so silently and respects the differences in our community that the founding fathers sought to protect.

Last edited:

How is it an insult to our founding fathers to have a moment of silence to pray silently or relax in the present moment rather than forcing everyone to say a prayer out loud in a public place? Silence allows all who wish to pray an opportunity to do so silently and respects the differences in our community that the founding fathers sought to protect.

Oh, the HORROR!!!! Free speech in a public place! What has become of the USA!!!!!

Oh, the HORROR!!!! Free speech in a public place! What has become of the USA!!!!!

Don't you see Sky's point? I think it's perfectly valid one. I agree that the legality of banning organized prayer sessions in this particular case is not a black and white issue, there are a lot of gray areas and I'm not 100% certain my opinion that they should be banned is right.

But I don't understand why anyone could not see how this sort of behavior is often considered rude and offputting by lots of people, including by fellow Christians.

I think a moment of silence is a good compromise. These zealots should be willing to bend a little too.

Don't you see Sky's point? I think it's perfectly valid one. I agree that the legality of banning organized prayer sessions in this particular case is not a black and white issue, there are a lot of gray areas and I'm not 100% certain my opinion that they should be banned is right.

But I don't understand why anyone could not see how this sort of behavior is often considered rude and offputting by lots of people, including by fellow Christians.

I think a moment of silence is a good compromise. These zealots should be willing to bend a little too.

How exactly do you people define the word force?

if some old people in a restaurant hold hands and say grace at the table next to yours are they "forcing" you to do the same?

Sometimes it's just good common sense to forgo your right to free speech in order to maintain good relations with the people around you. It's not as if anyone is being prevented from praying privately or in a non disruptive manner.

Last edited:

if some old people in a restaurant hold hands and say grace at the table next to yours are they "forcing" you to do the same?
We are not talking about people in a restaurant. Get a clue. Or stop prevaricating. Whichever ...

Sometimes it's just good common sense to forgo your right to free speech in order to maintain good relations with the people around you. It's not as if anyone is being prevented from praying privately or in a non disruptive manner.

But the people around the old folks saying grace were not the one's complaining were they?

the fucking moron food service guy who was not there to eat with the old people was the idiot who complained.

We are not talking about people in a restaurant. Get a clue. Or stop prevaricating. Whichever ...

It doesn't matter where you are. You are using the word "force" incorrectly.

Absolutely B'loney.

The Seniors were prevented from saying Grace before a meal. If you consider such an act disruptive, then a great deal of what in our society is considered Free Speech is fair game for prohibition using your standard.

Fortunately, your POV wouldn't stand Constitutional scrutiny.

Forum List

Back