Georgia Seniors Told They Can't Pray Before Meals

How is it an insult to our founding fathers to have a moment of silence to pray silently or relax in the present moment rather than forcing everyone to say a prayer out loud in a public place? Silence allows all who wish to pray an opportunity to do so silently and respects the differences in our community that the founding fathers sought to protect.

Oh, the HORROR!!!! Free speech in a public place! What has become of the USA!!!!!

Free speech includes the wise use of silence.

But does not mandate it.

if it wasn't OK with them then they believed in the concept of tolerance as they did not complain.

It is the so called "tolerant" left that believes it's OK to take away an old person's subsidized meal because they had the audacity to say grace.
Try to keep up with the news.
Nobody is taking away any old person's subsidized meal because a bunch of pushy zealots want to make a public display of how pious they are. The government backed down because the squeaky wheel always gets the grease.

A bunch of cranky old Christians won the fight. Bully for them!!

The loss federal funding was used as the excuse to stop the old folks from saying grace before they ate nothing else.

I would say its more to stop the organization recieving federal funding from praying rather than not permiting individuals to pray. The individuals should be able pray or celebrate God in anyway they see fit. If some asshole wants to act like an ass durning the "prayer time" or talk during the moment of silence they can do that as well. Federal funding shouldnt really be used to encourge a silly little religious ritual like this group prayer.

Try to keep up with the news.
Nobody is taking away any old person's subsidized meal because a bunch of pushy zealots want to make a public display of how pious they are. The government backed down because the squeaky wheel always gets the grease.

A bunch of cranky old Christians won the fight. Bully for them!!

The loss federal funding was used as the excuse to stop the old folks from saying grace before they ate nothing else.

I would say its more to stop the organization recieving federal funding from praying rather than not permiting individuals to pray. The individuals should be able pray or celebrate God in anyway they see fit. If some asshole wants to act like an ass durning the "prayer time" or talk during the moment of silence they can do that as well. Federal funding shouldnt really be used to encourge a silly little religious ritual like this group prayer.

The funding was for the meals not the prayer. the prayer was done before the meals were eaten.

I fail to see why so many people are "offended" by this.

The funding was for the meals not the prayer. the prayer was done before the meals were eaten.

I am not really offended by it. I just believe that since the meal was paid for by the government not God the organization providing the meal should be devoid of religious undertones. If I was at a church cook out or at my Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner I would expect a prayer.

So, I guess once the feds take over health care if someone wants a minister to pray with them before a surgery or while someone is dying, you say too damn bad since the surgery, the hosptial, the doctor, etc... will be 'federally funded', no prayer for you. Good bye any kind of chapel at the hospital as well. This is a perfect example, fellow board members, why you do not let the federal government into anything at all, you do not accept their dirty money for anything. Mindless people that are championing the curtailment of freedom will use any excuse to control you and your behavior in order to move their agenda forward. They're using the influence of money as bribes. You want financial assistance, well you have to comply to our rules. It's pathetic.

So many people immigrated here legally for religious freedom. This is an insult to them and their descendants.

How is it an insult to our founding fathers to have a moment of silence to pray silently or relax in the present moment rather than forcing everyone to say a prayer out loud in a public place? Silence allows all who wish to pray an opportunity to do so silently and respects the differences in our community that the founding fathers sought to protect.

I didn't see anything anywhere about them being "forced" to pray. Only about them being forced NOT to pray. Did we read the same article?

Did you bother the read the linked article????

I'll admit it wasn't the food service guy but it was not anyone who regularly attends the meals either
Like I said you were not there. You have no idea what may have gone on in the minds of all the people who go to the senior center to get their federally subsidized meals. You're just assuming that they all, and all future patrons, all agree that this religious ritual is okay with them.

if it wasn't OK with them then they believed in the concept of tolerance as they did not complain.

It is the so called "tolerant" left that believes it's OK to take away an old person's subsidized meal because they had the audacity to say grace.

You have to realize most of these people were brought up in a time when they were taught to be respectful of others. Meaning they will sit silently through a prayer even though they don't believe in it. They will stand during the pledge of allegiance, even when they don't believe in it. Manners and respect, something today's people have a serious lack of.

I am not really offended by it. I just believe that since the meal was paid for by the government not God the organization providing the meal should be devoid of religious undertones. If I was at a church cook out or at my Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner I would expect a prayer.

Partially paid for by the government.

Now do you hold the same objection to a Politician saying "God Bless America"?

How about "In God We Trust" printed on our currency?

How about swearing on a bible in a courtroom?

Certainly these acts of government or government officials constitute forcing people to acknowledge the deity much more so than a few old people who most likely grew up saying Grace before every meal ever could.

Last edited:
So many people immigrated here legally for religious freedom. This is an insult to them and their descendants.

I didn't see anything anywhere about them being "forced" to pray. Only about them being forced NOT to pray. Did we read the same article?
It seems that you did not read the article. No one was forced not to pray.

Certainly these acts of government or government officials constitute forcing people to acknowledge the deity much more so than a few old people who most likely grew up saying Grace before every meal ever could.
That the government commits acts of religious injustice elsewhere does not mean they are excused when they it in this case.

I think you are denigrating older people when you say it doesn't matter if some of them have to put up with a prayer meeting before they get a government financed meal.

Because you have what they don't. Common sense, tolerance and thick skin.
So we shouldn't protect the religious freedom of people who are not passive?

It seems to me that it is the people at this senior center who are inflicting their little piety demonstration on the others who lack common sense, tolerance and a thick skin.

Why is it some Christians are so insecure in their faith that they must make public displays of it to the point where others are made to feel uncomfortable if they don't join in?

That the government commits acts of religious injustice elsewhere does not mean they are excused when they it in this case.

I think you are denigrating older people when you say it doesn't matter if some of them have to put up with a prayer meeting before they get a government financed meal.

People saying grace before they eat is not a prayer meeting. Even in Japan they have their own version of grace and it has nothing to do with religion.
Itatakimas.

who forced them to eat there in the first place. there is no such thing as a free lunch.

There was no religious injustice. there were some people being thankful in the time honored way of their traditions.

And do you know that more than the meal was subsidized by the government?

And No other old people complained. As it said in the article a few people who work for the organization who were visiting complained. They weren't even regular attendees.

Why aren't you calling for the halt of Obama saying God Bless America. Or are you willing to put up with that particular injustice as you call it?

At least be consistent in your ridiculousness.

It seems to me that it is the people at this senior center who are inflicting their little piety demonstration on the others who lack common sense, tolerance and a thick skin.

Why is it some Christians are so insecure in their faith that they must make public displays of it to the point where others are made to feel uncomfortable if they don't join in?

If you're so fucking insecure in your beliefs that others expressing theirs makes you uneasy then you have bigger problems than a few old people saying grace.

There was no religious injustice. there were some people being thankful in the time honored way of their traditions.

And do you know that more than the meal was subsidized by the government?

And No other old people complained. As it said in the article a few people who work for the organization who were visiting complained. They weren't even regular attendees.

Why aren't you calling for the halt of Obama saying God Bless America. Or are you willing to put up with that particular injustice as you call it?

At least be consistent in your ridiculousness.

How do you know I haven't called for Obama to stop saying "God Bless America" You don't know. Just like you don't know anything about the people at that senior center and how some may not agree with the prayer meeting before dinner can be served.

If you're so fucking insecure in your beliefs that others expressing theirs makes you uneasy then you have bigger problems than a few old people saying grace.
:lol: Clearly, since you are now resorting expletives, it's you who is insecure.

Sorry you don't care what old people have to put up with. If we are lucky we will be old some day too. May you gain wisdom in your sunset years.

Forum List

Back